Buying a macbook pro.

If you do end up wanting to buy something used and can verify thatthat is has a valid serial, make sure that it is still under apple care. Not sure if still in effect, but you could extend your warranty service to the 3 Year apple care if you were still in that first year of owning it. Bought my Late 2008 15 MBP in 2011 and it was still in that 3 Year period. Got everything checked out at the apple store and up to date. Got a 2010 13 MBP that same year for my sister and she was able to extend the applecare service.

I haven't misrepresented anything. You're just not making any sense.

The unlocked iPhones you see being sold aren't brand new. And if they are are, they've been opened, activated, and then unlocked.
iphone 5s can be bought factory unlocked.

People sell brand new factory unlocked iphones.

Check ebay, amazon, and the like to confirm what I'm saying.
Free Image Hosting by imgbox.com

The point I was making is that you're not going to get a factory unlocked iPhone on Craigslist or eBay for any cheaper than you would buying from apple directly. There is no room for profit.

The unlocked iPhones you see sold on CL as brand new for below the retail price, have been bought as an upgrade, opened, activated, and unlocked.

Again, the lady was an idiot for buying a shrink wrapped iPhone.

When did I ever say they didn't sell factory unlocked iPhones?
"The unlocked iPhones you see being sold aren't brand new. And if they are are, they've been opened, activated, and then unlocked."

You're just repeating like in your other sentences.
Let's stop this silly discussion because it's going nowhere.

How does that equate to me saying they don't sell factory unlocked iPhones?

But back to your originally point:

The buyer's confidence is what changes "between checking the product out during the first meeting and paying for the product during the second meeting."

How exactly is the buyers confidence changing?

Why not simply pay during the first meeting?

Change the title to the thread " how to buy on craiglist "
Cats with full on disserations on how to safely purchase legitimate products.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
What if the seller knowing this 2-time-meet-up-with-no-money-in-the-initial-meetup buyer doesn't bring the same EXACT product in the 2nd meetup.  The buyer will be, ohh yeah thanks i've already checked this item out last time, theres no reason to recheck it. 

Then what was the point of the 1st meet up? YOU'RE GONNA CEHCK IT AGAIN ON THE 2ND ANYWAY

Presumably the 1st meetup would let you get the serial number from the MBP and then when you're at home you can check it from a computer to find out if it's the system the guy claims it is.

Honestly though OP I'd just wait for the new models to be released and then hit up the apple refurb section in the store, or if you're a student get a student discount.

An important question you need to yourself is, "how long do I intend to keep this comp?"
If it's at least 3 years, buy new+applecare.

What are you primilarily using it for? SChool work right?
If so, you won't need 16gb or an ssd.

You could do 8gb of ram, then get an sdd/hdd hybrid.
If you need more ram you can just send the ram back, get a refund then, get more ram.
Amazon allows you to do this, if you buy straight from them.

Here are your options for used macs:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
I would suggest that if you decide to go used that you go with apple, since they test the macs and give a 1 year warranty.

I would say 2011, because an apple employee told me that they're phasing out their 2010 parts because it's applecare repairs for those comps aren't being supported anymore . Due to it being over 3 years since that lineup released.

I'm trying to keep it as long as it's running strong. Primarily used for school, but side activities include photography, video, and music editing. What do you mean by send the ram back and get more?

An important question you need to yourself is, "how long do I intend to keep this comp?"
If it's at least 3 years, buy new+applecare.

What are you primilarily using it for? SChool work right?
If so, you won't need 16gb or an ssd.

You could do 8gb of ram, then get an sdd/hdd hybrid.
If you need more ram you can just send the ram back, get a refund then, get more ram.
Amazon allows you to do this, if you buy straight from them.

Here are your options for used macs:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
I would suggest that if you decide to go used that you go with apple, since they test the macs and give a 1 year warranty.

I would say 2011, because an apple employee told me that they're phasing out their 2010 parts because it's applecare repairs for those comps aren't being supported anymore . Due to it being over 3 years since that lineup released.
I'm trying to keep it as long as it's running strong. Primarily used for school, but side activities include photography, video, and music editing. What do you mean by send the ram back and get more?
I say go apple certified used and get a warranty.

What I mean by "send ram back and get more" is this.

Let's say you buy ram directly from amazon.

Amazon will let your return your ram free of charge. Then you can use your refund to buy new ram.

You would only do this if that ram you purchased isn't enough. So you could get more ram.

Meaning going from 8gb of ram to 16 of ram.

Try 8gb of ram. Check your activity monitor to see how much ram you're using. If you're using almost all your available ram for long periods of time, then you would upgrade to the 16gb of ram.

Amazon will let your return your ram free of charge. Then you can use your refund to buy new ram.
You would only do this if that ram you purchased isn't enough. So you could get more ram.
Try 8gb of ram. Check your activity monitor to see how much ram you're using. If you're using almost all your available ram for long periods of time, then you would upgrade to the 16gb of ram.

When you say warranty, you mean applecare? And I don't have 1600 to spend on everything after taxes and warranty and what not. If I buy used from CL, and the laptop comes with applecare, am I covered? If it doesn't, can I still buy applecare?

I have a simple solution to the madness. Option 1. Buy a new mbp and get a squaretrade warranty. Option 2 buy a apple certified mbp and get a squaretrade warranty. Get additional ram from amazon if needed. Ta da

When you say warranty, you mean applecare? And I don't have 1600 to spend on everything after taxes and warranty and what not. If I buy used from CL, and the laptop comes with applecare, am I covered? If it doesn't, can I still buy applecare?
I mean any type of warranty that you prefer. You might be able to get a squaretrade warranty, but you should go with applecare because it's more convienent.

Check ebay for cheaper prices. You should be able to find it for $100, whereas apple sells it for $150-$250 depending on which mbp you own.

It's unlikely that you'd be able to find a mac on craigslist that already has applecare on it because applecare is pretty pricey.
Also I think you need to be the actual person who bought applecare to be able to use it. I could be wrong on that.

In any case, if you bought a used mac that was still within apple's standard 1 year warranty period, you could buy applecare for that computer.

Applecare covers hardware failures and I think software failures. So if you get a mac that has been damaged by the user, applecare will most likely not fix the damage.

Here are some options:

1. Buy a new 13in mbp then upgrade the ram to 8gb. Then get applecare later on when you have the money.

Link to said mbp: Amazon product ASIN B0074703CM
2. buy a refurbished 13in mbp, then upgrade the ram to 8gb. Then get applecare later.

Link to said mbp. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5

The cheapest price for applecare that I could find was $207. Applecare is usually $250.

It's worth it. I saved $500 with applecare, this excludes the $100 that I paid for it. I had two chargers($200) replaced and a logic board replaced($400).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AppleCare-P...2?pt=US_Manuals_Resources&hash=item3f285fb04e

silly *** argument in here. Ignore the scheduling two separate meet ups and focus on leaving the money in the car while purchasing.

I'd get an entry level, maybe with 8GB RAM.

no retina. GPU's and CPU's aren't developed enough to work well with such a large resolution, in addition I've heard a lot of complaints about websites graphics loading slowly, for example when scrolling this may become noticeable.

Don't buy yet, new MBP's should be unveiled on the 10th of September.

BTW if you're a business major I'd consider a MacBook Air as well, due to the great battery time and it's compactness.

imo Apple care sucks on macbooks. Genius dudes always have a smug attitude when you ask them replace the battery and give you scientific response on battery technology.....

To keep it simple get a macbook pro, upgrade the ram, leave the hdd till you need a ssd....

imo Apple care sucks on macbooks. Genius dudes always have a smug attitude when you ask them replace the battery and give you scientific response on battery technology.....

To keep it simple get a macbook pro, upgrade the ram, leave the hdd till you need a ssd....
batteries aren't covered with applecare.

Yeah, it's prolly to get more money out the consumer. But I still have a few CD's I'd rather import than downloading some bad quality version off the Internet.

Yeah, it's prolly to get more money out the consumer. But I still have a few CD's I'd rather import than downloading some bad quality version off the Internet.

Most programs I buy that come with disk always make me download the program from a website. All this disk is nowadays is a end user license agreement and proof of purchase.

I guess it's also a generational thing too. More and more we are using flash drives solid state forms of memory.

Might even be a plus because All CD's were loaded with bloatware. Even audio cd's that you put in the computer.

Last edited:
How many of you have applecare vs squaretrade vs no warranty at all? How do you like your warranty or lack thereof?

The retinas don't come with a disc drive for the same reason the original iMac ditched the floppy drive. Apple hates supporting what it views as legacy tech. I can count on my hands the times I've used the SuperDrive on my current and previous MBP, 7 years of combined time. If you really need a disc drive for ripping/burning the external SuperDrive works well.

Back
Top Bottom