Condo developers build separate entrances for lower income residents

If it's really that much if an issue to be together but seperate, feel free to pay the full amount of 5-10k monthly I'm pretty sure they won't say no to your money, only color that ever matters is GREEN.

If it's really that much of an issue for them not to be together they should of never allowed low income in there in the first place, and let tenants that can rent for full price in there since the only color that matters is green :rolleyes

Okay, I'm going to write a movie about a dude who lives in the poor part and a girl who lives in the rich part. They meet and fall in love. Then the girls parents don't want her hanging around him but she sneaks away at night to meet him. Then some more stuff happens in between and he eventually dies because it turns out HER father is a drug king pin and one of his goons who sells meth in the lower income section is involved in a turf war and the dude ends up getting caught in the cross fire. She eventually finds out it's her father's fault that the dude she likes dies and her father is a hypocrite for not wanting them to be together in the first place. She does some more research and finds out (get ready for the twist) her MOTHER was from a poor area and her father (who was wealthy) married her. The the last scene is where she's at the police station with an accounting binder full of numbers from her father's business. The detective walks in and says.. "How can I help you?" She looks up at him, tears in her eyes, and says.. "I have some information that you might be interested in..." Camera fades to black..

Son.

Thread derailed

I love how people arguing in favor of the developers are straight skipping around the issue of the tax breaks and bringing up all these scenarios that aren't even remotely similar. How about this scenario:

A private school in a well off county receives extra tax breaks if they agree to allow 100 low-middle income students from a neighboring county to enroll. School agrees but after the students are enrolled they decide to ban those students from entering through the front door or playing on any of the sports teams. Ya'll would be ok with this? On some "they should just be happy that they get to go to such a great school in a great county"? Cause that's how ya'll sound.
I like this one.

"Don't like it, send your dusty *** kids through the front door of PS 666 like the other brokies!"

I love how people arguing in favor of the developers are straight skipping around the issue of the tax breaks and bringing up all these scenarios that aren't even remotely similar. How about this scenario:

A private school in a well off county receives extra tax breaks if they agree to allow 100 low-middle income students from a neighboring county to enroll. School agrees but after the students are enrolled they decide to ban those students from entering through the front door or playing on any of the sports teams. Ya'll would be ok with this? On some "they should just be happy that they get to go to such a great school in a great county"? Cause that's how ya'll sound.
Okay, I'll play. The government offers Harvard huge tax breaks to let in 100 low-income students to enroll. It costs 60k to enroll in Harvard annually. The school offers through the government tax incentive to give the low-income students financial aide in the form that school will cost 6k annually instead of 60k. The students will be provided with a Harvard education, however the students were unaware that they had to enter through a separate entrance until 1 semester in and they are not allowed to go on any sports teams. The students thought this was strange, but it was explained to them it was the government stipulation that they must use this separate entrance in order for the Gov't to give them their tax break. The students always have the option of not continuing their education at Harvard and they can go to the Community college down the street and continue education for relatively the same price, possibly cheaper.

The governments thinking for providing the incentive to developers is roughly: We give you incentive to move to/be housed/ provided business in the boonies and ideally if businesses and people relocate to the boonies it eventually no longer becomes the boonies.

terrible analogy to use comparing it to school

Last edited:

Okay, I'll play. The government offers Harvard huge tax breaks to let in 100 low-income students to enroll. It costs 60k to enroll in Harvard annually. The school offers through the government tax incentive to give the low-income students financial aide in the form that school will cost 6k annually instead of 60k. The students will be provided with a Harvard education, however the students were unaware that they had to enter through a separate entrance until 1 semester in and they are not allowed to go on any sports teams. The students thought this was strange, but it was explained to them it was the government stipulation that they must use this separate entrance in order for the Gov't to give them their tax break. The students always have the option of not continuing their education at Harvard and they can go to the Community college down the street and continue education for relatively the same price, possibly cheaper.

The governments thinking for providing the incentive to developers is roughly: We give you incentive to move to/be housed/ provided business in the boonies and ideally if businesses and people relocate to the boonies it eventually no longer becomes the boonies.

?????

^ it compares to the housing situation in that they didn't know ahead of time that they had to use the separate entrance until later.

By saying they had to use a separate entrance 1 semester in I try to make the unlike situations more alike

^ it compares to the housing situation in that they didn't know ahead of time that they had to use the separate entrance until later.

By saying they had to use a separate entrance 1 semester in I try to make the unlike situations more alike

I guess...

How about his? Lets just shave all the fat off...

So ya'll are ok with segregation as long as race is not involved? Yes or no?

Yes, it is that simple.

If it's really that much of an issue for them not to be together they should of never allowed low income in there in the first place, and let tenants that can rent for full price in there since the only color that matters is green :rolleyes

That is true...they should have been upfront from the jump, still IMO I don't see a seperare entrance as a huge deal if I'm getting to live in that area for 1/10th of the cost of everyone else...I'm about to drive to this building and see how bad this alternate entrance is...because the assumptions I see being made here are :wow:

I guess...

Yes, it is that simple.

Segregation based off financial status?...I mean we have been ok with that since the beginning of time bro...what planet have you been living on?

I guess...

Yes, it is that simple.
The "fat" are all the details of the situation.

Why is it that people in Beverly Hills live there and 99.9% cannot? Why is there this segregation?

I want to live in Beverly Hills, because the location is amazing, area is beautiful, but I cannot. Is it okay that I'm segregated and not allowed to live there? Yes, I'm okay with that

Yes, it is that simple.
You really think a developer is going to put cheaper apartments in some super desirable area where land is more expensive?

People with a lot money can afford nicer things than those that don't have as much money.  I dont think you will be happy until we have some sort of marxist utopia where everyone is even and everyone has the same possesions, etc.  This is america, we are a capitalist society, if you are rich you can buy nice things, if you are poor you cant.

Last edited:

Playing does not include, reformatting the question. Answer the question. If you want to say that it's a matter of whether the government should allow it or not then say that. I take it some of you think the developers social culpability is not at play here. That's fine. The government's is. We're walking dangerous ground if we're allowing the government to give tax breaks where thinly veiled segregation is being promoted.

I guess...

Yes, it is that simple.

Segregation based off financial status?...I mean we have been ok with that since the beginning of time bro...what planet have you been living on?

I guess...

Yes, it is that simple.
The "fat" are all the details of the situation.

Why is it that people in Beverly Hills live there and 99.9% cannot? Why is there this segregation?

I want to live in Beverly Hills, because the location is amazing, area is beautiful, but I cannot. Is it okay that I'm segregated and not allowed to live there? Yes, I'm okay with that

Yes, it is that simple.

You really think a developer is going to put cheaper apartments in some super desirable area where land is more expensive?

People with a lot money can afford nicer things than those that don't have as much money.  I dont think you will be happy until we have some sort of marxist utopia where everyone is even and everyone has the same possesions, etc.  This is america, we are a capitalist society, if you are rich you can buy nice things, if you are poor you cant.

You guys clearly, so so clearly dont understand what segregation is. You have a very basic understand, but you really dont get it.

You dont have to worry me replying to this thread again, because a good portion of you dont even understand the implications of this situation.

Yall have a good one.

Please dont quote me..

Last edited:

Playing does not include, reformatting the question. Answer the question. If you want to say that it's a matter of whether the government should allow it or not then say that. I take it some of you think the developers social culpability is not at play here. That's fine. The government's is. We're walking dangerous ground if we're allowing the government to give tax breaks where thinly veiled segregation is being promoted.
I reformatted the question to make it most similar to the article. That's the point of the comparison. I gave other comparisons and I got: 

"I don't like that comparison", "that's a bad analogy"

Then you're comparing SCHOOL to the place to YOU LIVE. Two completely different things and I'm trying to adjust your bad comparison to make it usable in the context where you can compare it. 

Your issue seems to be with the government and the tax incentives

Here is wikipedias first few lines explaining Gentrification - 

"Gentrification  is a shift in an urban community toward wealthier  residents and/or businesses and increasing property values.[sup][1][/sup]  Gentrification is typically the result of investment in a community by real estate development  businesses, local government, or community activists, and can often spur economic development, attract business, and lower crimerates. In addition to these potential benefits, gentrification can lead to population migration, which involves poorer residents being displaced by wealthier newcomers.

In a community undergoing gentrification, the average income increases and average family size decreases. Poorer pre-gentrification residents who are unable to pay increasedrents  or property taxes  may be driven out.[sup][2][/sup]

Often old industrial buildings are converted to residences and shops. New businesses, which can afford increased commercial rent, cater to a more affluent base of consumers—further increasing the appeal to higher income migrants and decreasing the accessibility to the poor."

The building manager was taking advantage of the government incentive. If you disagree with the incentive provided by the government, call your local senator to make a difference

Fact of the matter is you guys sound dumb because nobody is forced to move into this building. Dudes no what the deal is when they sign up to live there. End of story. If you don't like the rules go live somewhere else

Fact of the matter is you sound dumb because they didn't know the deal when they signed up to live there, the entrance just got approved last week foolio

What are you talking about? This buildings separate entrance has been well know.
Fact of the matter is you guys sound dumb because nobody is forced to move into this building. Dudes no what the deal is when they sign up to live there. End of story. If you don't like the rules go live somewhere else

Read the facts bro before you call people dumb. The entrance was put in place AFTER the tenants were moved in. This was something just thrown on them. But we do sound dumb tho.

How could this be? The building is under construction :stoneface:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/extell-poor-door-_n_5606572.html

Like I said before

Though some of the negative notions brought forth by gentrification have been discussed, this in particular isn't a gentrification issue...

You know what, I think I'm gonna do like Trill and opt out of this convo. Critical thinking at an all time low in here.

Though some of the negative notions brought forth by gentrification have been discussed, this in particular isn't a gentrification issue...

You know what, I think I'm gonna do like Trill and opt out of this convo. Critical thinking at an all time low in here.
so would you prefer that the "lower income" tenants not even have the opportunity to live in the area?  would you prefer that entire neighborhoods are made up of people with the same socioeconomic status?  or do you just want everyone to have the penthouse with the riverview, the benz, etc.?

again ill post this again from the first post:

The affordable units will be on floors two through six in a ‘building segment’ which contains only the affordable units and has its own entrance as required by the Zoning Resolution.” The "building segment" means that Extell considers those units to be legally separate from the rest of the building (even though it's attached). In many of these kinds of cases, a non-for-profit organization will be brought in to run it, which means they are legally expected to have their own super, social worker, and entrances.

You need to think of this as two different buildings in one building (complete with different supers, entrances, etc).

And this is the true reason why we have racial/ethnic issues across the globe. It's deep as fuh. So much that many choose to ignore/roll with it or claim that it's none of their business because their not part of it. Money and power ain't nothing to mess with...

One day things will change and it's not going to be pretty....

You don't HAVE to live in that particular building, though.

I don't see what the big deal is.
I'll take "Things Rich Kids Say" for $800, Alex.
But they don't have to live there
laugh.gif

You don't HAVE to live in that particular building, though.

I don't see what the big deal is.
I'll take "Things Rich Kids Say" for $800, Alex.
But they don't have to live there
laugh.gif
To be honest, I'm actually somewhat torn on the issue.  On one hand, I can understand that the Upper West Side isn't generally an area that the working class can afford to live in, and if they don't like it they don't have to move there.  On the other hand, I can understand why people would be offended by a separate entrance for the lower classes.  It screams "you're a second-class citizen and will be treated accordingly."

Having said that: if it was me, I'd say eff my pride, move to the better neighborhood, use the "poor door", and not think twice about it.

But then again...not everyone is me.

You guys clearly, so so clearly dont understand what segregation is. You have a very basic understand, but you really dont get it.

You dont have to worry me replying to this thread again, because a good portion of you dont even understand the implications of this situation.

Yall have a good one.

Please dont quote me..

Well that's a mature approach...why don't you help us understand? Seriously..

And TBH separate entrance or not, there will still be tenants there who will feel as though someone with a lower income shouldn't be living in the same building as them paying 1/10th of what they are paying.

Would you guys be ok if you and another person who makes significantly less money than yourself, walk into a Benz dealer and ya both walk out with a Benz, except you paid 10x what the other person paid?

Back
Top Bottom