Condo developers build separate entrances for lower income residents

"Extell's proposalwas approved under the cities inclusionary housing program,  which allows developers to use more square footage than they'd ordinarily be allowed to -- provided they set aside some units in their building for affordable housing. For doing so, developers also receive millions in tax breaks."

What the ordinance means is that developers CAN build larger properties if they include affordable housing as part of the project. Seems perfectly reasonable to me since many who live in New York work for little more than minimum wage and developers NEED an incentive to build ANY housing that is affordable since the profit margins on such properties are MUCH lower.

I guess the main issue is the separate doors. This issue was specified as a necessity in the "inclusionary housing program". This is where the issues with segregation are arising. 

You guys clearly, so so clearly dont understand what segregation is. You have a very basic understand, but you really dont get it.

You dont have to worry me replying to this thread again, because a good portion of you dont even understand the implications of this situation.

Yall have a good one.

Please dont quote me..
Well that's a mature approach...why don't you help us understand? Seriously..

And TBH separate entrance or not, there will still be tenants there who will feel as though someone with a lower income shouldn't be living in the same building as them paying 1/10th of what they are paying.

Would you guys be ok if you and another person who makes significantly less money than yourself, walk into a Benz dealer and ya both walk out with a Benz, except you paid 10x what the other person paid?
Not the best analogy considering that there's a difference in the size of the apartments and the amenities included.  Unless you're trying to say that a dude buying an SLR McLaren should be offended by the less well-off dude buying a CLA...

Last edited:
Not the best analogy considering that there's a difference in the size of the apartments and the amenities included.  Unless you're trying to say that a dude buying an SLR McLaren should be offended by the less well-off dude buying a CLA...

You have ANY proof that states every single tenant paying the normal rate has a clear river view and more square footage than those that are not?...or is this another assumption?

A girl I went to school with, was lucky enough to land one of these apartments in a high rise in manhattan for her and her daughter, her apartment was not a shoebox and she has a view, apparently they can keep the apartment even after their income increases, as she's now getting married, dude is well off and she's literally keeping the apartment for when she needs some alone time...

Yeah I should feel sorry for her :rofl:

I drive a cla. What you trying to say? Lol

Well that's a mature approach...why don't you help us understand? Seriously..

And TBH separate entrance or not, there will still be tenants there who will feel as though someone with a lower income shouldn't be living in the same building as them paying 1/10th of what they are paying.

Would you guys be ok if you and another person who makes significantly less money than yourself, walk into a Benz dealer and ya both walk out with a Benz, except you paid 10x what the other person paid?

Sure i would be if his Benz came with a cheap Engine, Hyundai parts, No Ac, Smaller Rims, Cheap leather, and he couldn't drive it anywhere around me.

Stop bringing up this they are paying 10X less for the same apartment because they literally Have NOTHING in common other than the address of the building.

Not the same views
Not the same decor
Not the same amenities
Not the same maintenance
Not the same staff
Not the same chance to interact with the same neighbors
Not the same size of the apartment
Not even the same entrance
Not the same stigma

This is like combaring a Maybach to a CLA class yes their both Benz (Both UPE) but literally every other part of them is different.

People pay these prices for apartments on the UPE for the experience, to have great service & maintenance, to have state of the art design & Decor.to be able to have respected neighbors, to have a gym & pool in the complex, to have parking etc etc. All of the things that were stripped from these "affordable" apartments is what makes people adore the UPE and drives that rent so high.

So stop acting as if this is some magical handout... outside of location these people are paying close to 2000$ for a regular apartment that they could probably find in another borough for much cheaper. They aren't going to get any of the experience of living on the UPE..... that experience is what drives those prices & makes it desirable how difficult of a concept is this. :smh:

A luxury condo building on New York City’s Upper West Side has gotten clearance from the city to have a separate entrance, or a “poor door,” for low-income tenants, according to the New York Post.
Extell, which is building the 33-story complex, will build a specific door for the 55 affordable housing units it’s including in order to be allowed to build a bigger building. The low-income units, which are available to people making 60 percent of median income or less, will also be in a segment that only contains affordable apartments and that faces the street while the luxury apartments will face the river.
In New York City, this arrangement is relatively common. Luxury builders get credits to use up more square footage than they normally could by promising to build affordable units as well. Those developers can then sell the credits to cover the costs of building the low-income housing. Because Extell considers the affordable segment to be legally separate from the rest of the building, it says it is required to have different entrances.
And besides being made to use a separate entrance, some low-income residents in luxury buildings are prohibited from using the amenities offered to the wealthy tenants, which in the case of this particular building include swimming pools and regulation-sized basketball courts. Several buildings in the city ban affordable housing or rent-regulated tenants from using perks like gyms, rooftops, and pools, and the practice is on the rise.
New York City lawmakers have taken notice of all of this, and two council members are working on legislation that would expand the city’s anti-discrimination protections to include rent-regulated tenants. A state assemblywoman has introduced legislation that would require buildings to let low-income renters use all the amenities.
These issues come at a time when the ability to afford rent is out of reach for more and more city residents. Median rent is nearly 40 percent of median income in New York City, much higher than what is considered affordable. And as in the rest of the country, rents are rising, with the median Manhattan apartment going for $3,247 a month, the second highest level in more than five years. At the same time, the panel that determines how much landlords can raise costs for rent-controlled tenants rejected a proposed freeze and approved a 1 percent uptick. Building more affordable units could help ease that squeeze for some families, but will come with some stigma if they’re kept separate from the better off.
And all of these challenges disproportionately impact people of color. While about 73 percent of people who rent at market rates in Manhattan and nearly 77 percent who own are white, just 47 percent of rent-regulated tenants are white. Rent-regulated tenants, perhaps unsurprisingly, also earn less, making $51,010 a year at the median compared to $103,680 for those renting at market rates. That means restrictions on entrances and amenities impact poor people of color the most.

The poor entrance is technically an entirely different complex that is attached to the main building. So yes all 219 units who pay market price are getting an apartment that faces the waterfront, while the other 55 units are getting a street view.

I would also like you to use logic, these our luxury building developers who are clearly out for money (The only reason they are even doing affordable housing is because it grants them tax credits).

Do you HONESTLY believe that they built a separate complex and knowing that these apartments are going for a fraction of the price of the aprtments in the main building, that these same developers would create equal sized apartments in both the Retail & affordable buildings :smh:. Business wise that would make no logical sense, and considering they are in the business of luxury condos i would assume they make logical moves. Why would they have any incentive to give those paying less, the same sized apartments or even hire the same design team/ architects to design their separate complex?

Last edited:
Lmaoo i wouldn't mind a CLA i think it's gorgeous but i'll be lying if i said it came with the same features and specifics as a maybach :lol:

People pay for location when it comes to living in Manhattan bro, not really the square footage of their apartments, people literally paying 5k to live in a shoebox in TriBeCa, Soho, etc....the UWS is no different, they are getting a hand out bro and it's an awesome one, if they don't think so they can very well turn down the apartment, but I bet they won't....at the very least they are getting a brand new apartment in a newly built high rise in the UWS for far less than what they would get a beat to **** apartment in Williamsburg.

People pay for location when it comes to living in Manhattan bro, not really the square footage of their apartments, people literally paying 5k to live in a shoebox in TriBeCa, Soho, etc....the UWS is no different, they are getting a hand out bro and it's an awesome one, if they don't think so they can very well turn down the apartment, but I bet they won't....at the very least they are getting a brand new apartment in a newly built high rise in the UWS for far less than what they would get a beat to **** apartment in Williamsburg.

Yes location is part of the convo... but you are completely lying to yourself if you think people who are paying upwards of 5k a month aren't worried about views, about decor, about sq ft, about parking, about neighbors etc etc.

there is a big difference in neighborhoods like UWS & a Soho and the qualities they bring. Its ignorant to claim people who live on the UWS only care about the location. All the other amenities & perks play a huge role in them living there.

Coming from someone who has lived in the UES for most of my life, it's not as nice as it seems. UES has fallen off quite a bit compared to when i was younger imo. 

Last edited:
Yes location is part of the convo... but you are completely lying to yourself if you think people who are paying upwards of 5k a month aren't worried about views, about decor, about sq ft, about parking, about neighbors etc etc.

there is a big difference in neighborhoods like UWS & a Soho and the qualities they bring. Its ignorant to claim people who live on the UWS only care about the location. All the other amenities & perks play a huge role in them living there.

Only a small percentage of the people living on the UWS even have a river view, majority of the people have a street view, the people paying less may not have the amenities of the building (not sure if that's a fact) if they don't, they still have allll the amenities of the neighborhood they live in, the safety, the schools, the parks, etc.

For anyone to claim these people are not on a win situation regardless of what entrance they walk into, is being delusional bro.

Nobody is telling these people not to live there for 60% off rent. I never advocated someone to give up a place of residence if they're close to homeless.

The point is ppl using poor people to fund their ideas and it being allowed.

"We will let you buy more land for your building if you let some poor people live in it"

"Deal"

"Hey Sally they're letting us get more space tell the contractor to add some extra apts on the side and make sure the floors don't connect to the regular building"

Some people get a lucky roll of the dice and suddenly they're gods walking among men.

Agreed... One wrong step n ppl wouldn't b so diffrent..alot of dudes didn't even work for there's..I laugh at inheritance baby's..

American Dream right here, the most respectable form of those who made it :pimp:

Last edited:
I didn't realize how real that "rich person who was born rich and has no idea that regular people are much much poorer than them and can't live the way they live" until I came to NYC and spent a couple months in a program at NYU.

So many rich kids living in New York with no job and a nice apartment, just kind of living and hanging out and calling themselves artists/creatives when they're really just partying until someone forces a high-paying job onto them.

Manhattan is a rat infested island. Great place to work, visit and party but you couldn't pay me to live there.

Quick question. Ive seen people in this thread speak down on those collecting government assistance, but gave props to the developer for doing the exact same thing. Taking a short cut to collect government tax grants and credits. May I ask why?

Because they think their "hard earn money" isn't going to the developers only the people who get food stamps.

Quick question. Ive seen people in this thread speak down on those collecting government assistance, but gave props to the developer for doing the exact same thing. Taking a short cut to collect government tax grants and credits. May I ask why?
30-60 seconds will not be enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom