[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

Moving a few thousand pairs of shoes is disheartening to say the least. I honestly considered (for a few seconds) just to leave the last 500 pairs in the truck and just turn it back in.
Like so many others have stated, it's about the chase, the dopamine release, etc.... I've got so much that will just fall apart after a few minutes of wear, and every time I rearrange or sell some pairs, it seems like it's just growing back at a faster rate. The older stuff, say, '99-'05-ish... I KNOW it has to go. I know it. Like, what am I going to do with a dozen pairs of 1st series SB's or cement 4's or any other shoe that I got a crazy deal on 20 years ago.
Admittedly, I do get quite a bit of stuff sent my way from different brands, and I also donate a lot to high schools/high school sports teams, community centers, etc..., and I do sell quite a bit of stuff that I KNOW I'll never wear.

I'd love to get it down to 300, which is still a dumb amount of shoes to own, but my biggest dilemma is always if I end up wanting the shoe again after I sell it and paying more to re-acquire it.
Hell, it's ridiculous even reading what I'm typing.

Some great advice in this thread, and I'll add that with all the social media resellers and the fact that just about every city in the U.S. has a consignment shop at this point, just going to dump a few hundred pairs at a time seems like a great move.

Moving a few thousand pairs of shoes is disheartening to say the least. I honestly considered (for a few seconds) just to leave the last 500 pairs in the truck and just turn it back in.
Like so many others have stated, it's about the chase, the dopamine release, etc.... I've got so much that will just fall apart after a few minutes of wear, and every time I rearrange or sell some pairs, it seems like it's just growing back at a faster rate. The older stuff, say, '99-'05-ish... I KNOW it has to go. I know it. Like, what am I going to do with a dozen pairs of 1st series SB's or cement 4's or any other shoe that I got a crazy deal on 20 years ago.
Admittedly, I do get quite a bit of stuff sent my way from different brands, and I also donate a lot to high schools/high school sports teams, community centers, etc..., and I do sell quite a bit of stuff that I KNOW I'll never wear.

I'd love to get it down to 300, which is still a dumb amount of shoes to own, but my biggest dilemma is always if I end up wanting the shoe again after I sell it and paying more to re-acquire it.

Some great advice in this thread, and I'll add that with all the social media resellers and the fact that just about every city in the U.S. has a consignment shop at this point, just going to dump a few hundred pairs at a time seems like a great move.
That part selling a shoe you regret sell then buy it again just keep the one's that mean something to you

I personally appreciate your honesty and being open to talking about it. I think we're all in the same boat whether we'd like to admit it or not. There's not enough days in the year to justify our purchases and most of the time, most of the shoes we wear are similar to ones we have already, it's just a new collab or the FOMO shoe at the moment. But you're right, the more we purchase they get stashed away and never worn and for what? To just feel like you have it, but will never wear it because they're "too nice." Those are great to just admire from afar. It's like a nice car, I can admire it from afar but I don't have to buy it.

and I also donate a lot to high schools/high school sports teams, community centers, etc...,

How have you gone about doing that? Contact the basketball coach? Contact the school itself? The principal? I'd love to donate like a dozen pairs of basketball shoes for kids to play in. But I'd rather not just give the shoes to some random person at the school or even the coach, having no idea what's going to happen next and that person just turns around and sells them on sx or something for half price.

Maybe you donate without the boxes? In my case if I wanted to donate to guys on the bball team, I've been wondering if I should reach out to a coach and ask what sizes some of the kids wear. I would love to give a kid some of these shoes. If the kid wants to wear or sell, I'm 1000% fine with that. It's their shoes at that point. But I'm not just trying to line some random dude's pockets while his or her players go without bball shoe options

I have alotta shoes to sell. And i mean A LOT.

Im actually ashamed @ the amount of shoes I’ve accumulated over the years.

Is the classified section of NT still good for selling?

EBay or goat is my go to for selling pairs. Goat is decent for ds popular stuff. I’ve had decent luck with some not so popular, yet not so common pairs. If you have a lot of popular stuff, check your local area for consignment shops, they’ll probably lowball you tho.

More places you list, better chance you’ll sell, but it can be a lot of work to take pics for multiple platforms.

Keep in mind, market is trash right now, and values are really low.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE VALUE, IF YOU’RE TRYING TO SELL, JUST SELL. YOU GOTTA ADOPT THE “F IT” MINDSET WHEN TRYING TO UNLOAD A LOT OF PAIRS.

KEEP IN MIND, SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

^ no doubt.

@ this point, the space and piece of mind is what’s most important anyway.

WHO CARES ABOUT THE VALUE, IF YOU’RE TRYING TO SELL, JUST SELL. YOU GOTTA ADOPT THE “F IT” MINDSET WHEN TRYING TO UNLOAD A LOT OF PAIRS.

KEEP IN MIND, SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.
Aleast get your money back especially if you paid retail compared if you paid resell for certain shoes

Ehh… gotta be smart about it, IMO. If I’m gonna off stuff for peanuts, I might as well keep, especially if I know I can get something decent out of it. Obviously depending what it is.

I mean, whole point in selling pairs, is to fund more pairs…. amirite?! :nerd:

Any progress is still considered progress. You just have to figure out what your trigger is and pay attention to it. It'll bring you one step closer to catching it and reacting to it differently. One of my examples is when I'll feel down or stressed, especially from work. Another could be from just influences (wherever you see shoes and however you see them like "on-feet" looks, etc.).

Nothing to be ashamed about. Shaming yourself is another way of killing your own confidence. Okay to feel guilty about it, but you want to take that as a lesson to move forward and say "hey, this is who I was, but this will not define who I want to become."

As far as the NT classifieds, I feel like I don't see it as active as before, but that's just me.

Staying strong during Black Friday deals!
Gents, with all these deals going on, half off "Black Friday" sales, stay strong. Think about whether we need these and if we'll actually wear them. Or will they just be another pair to unload later? I'm trying to practice this myself because I think for most of us, we love and like what we read in here, then we move on to our favorite pages and see the deals and new pairs everyone else has and we're right back in. At the end of the day, your money, your choice, but I think we can lean on one another to help each other, not just obtaining pairs we want, but also helping each other buy pairs we're on the fence on just because it's 1/2 off.

Gents, with all these deals going on, half off "Black Friday" sales, stay strong. Think about whether we need these and if we'll actually wear them. Or will they just be another pair to unload later? I'm trying to practice this myself because I think for most of us, we love and like what we read in here, then we move on to our favorite pages and see the deals and new pairs everyone else has and we're right back in. At the end of the day, your money, your choice, but I think we can lean on one another to help each other, not just obtaining pairs we want, but also helping each other buy pairs we're on the fence on just because it's 1/2 off.
This. Thank you for the reminder and remember that this can apply to all things. I'm trying to refrain from purchasing anything this holiday season. I have so much stuff that I barely touch (shoes and video games primarily) and I need to use what I have. I don't NEED anything, especially anything that is going to bring TEMPORARY happiness. I'm learning to be content and not absorbed with the consumerism that has been indoctrinated in us since before we could speak.

Congrats boys for being in here and trending in the right direction, recently started hooping again so had to convince myself to buy some KD's on sale at the outlets for 60 bucks :lol:

I have also recently moved away from sneakers and into boots/dress shoes, a different slope can happen there albeit slower as the price-points are higher :smh:

Coming back continually here for support!

If you guys need some motivation - I went to Nice Kicks a few days ago to try on some Asics Gel-Lyte 3s for sizing purposes since Asics have a sale on the pair I've been eying since spotting it a few months ago in Vancouver. As I was about to leave, they told me they had a collab pair marked down to $30 at the checkout area. I felt a bit of "checkout counter" pressure (where workers are there praising the discounted price and offer to help upsell the product) and I really thought about getting it as it'd be my first pair of Asics ever and it'd be a really cheap pair to "sample" and try out. Instead, I told them "I appreciate the offer, but I'm more interested in this other colorway [the one I spotted from Vancouver and been eying on the Asics site], but thank you though! Colorway looks dope" and I left.

Thirty bucks is a steal, but whether I'd keep it or not, it's still throwing away $30.

Last edited:
I’ve gotten away from buying just because it’s cheap a while ago. If it’s something I like, and know I’ll wear, I’ll grab depending on how cheap it actually is…. Wife on the other hand….

:lol: Also gotta make this a threadmark. Spread the word, guys! Sales can get people going nutso.

... Like when my dumbass ended up with 10 pairs of the Air Force 1 "Color of the Month" colorways, SMH. Didn't know my size because of my own insoles, so I bought two pairs of each colorway at that time...

Good times.

So far so good persay. I did bite on a pair of shoes I've been eyeing up for a while. Saucony Sonic Spot-bilt Beams collab. There was ZERO chance of me paying $130-140 plus shipping for a pair. But for 40% off $130 and $10 shipping, a total of $88, sure. I'll definitely wear these this winter for sure. That's gonna be the only shoe for now. Not even interested in any Jordans. Only a Team Orange Ship IF the price is right. But holding off isn't that bad.

And these being a "Chicago" inspired colorway, and the fact these are an 80s retro, I'd much rather have these for $88 than a pair of Lost & Founds for $443 (my size currently) on GOAT plus fees. Yeah, NO!

Back
Top Bottom