Does/Did Tupac have street cred

Pac was that dude... If your over 30 and you think 2pac is lame, your a ****boy...

right.

THAT dude before Death Row

thats what made Death Row such a dream team

yet the 'loud and wrong' guy talking like Pac was a nobody before the Row

as i said
its expected
its the ones like that that will rewrite history

after years of having discussions regarding 2pac, it's apparent that he's just one of those polarizing people.

Last edited:
Let's address it like this:

First what do you consider "street cred"?

Now, did Pac have THAT?

This discussion is all over the place.

Now, did Pac have THAT?

I was going to ask that but felt like somebody w/ more NT cred should ask in order to get it answered. There has to be (at least for the sake of this thread) a definition for street cred. We can even have two for the sake of discussion but we have to have something to compare Pac's cred or lack thereof to.

Now, did Pac have THAT?

i came in on the tail end of the discussion, barely read the OP.

im not gonna waste time defining something subjective like street cred

i was always a Biggie guy personally

i will say ive seen Tupac songs make the toughest street dudes cry

make hood cats that dont pay attention to lyrics at all go over every line he wrote looking for meaning

seen cats fight or shoot up the block after someone quoted Pac to them

out of every rap cat that died before him (possibly after?)i havent seen a bigger impact in the hood

i always knew it would be big
but i didnt think it would last this long

Street Cred?
id say yes
without a doubt

And thats why i mentioned him being shot... because for a long while it was almost a running joke in hip hop, that if you got shot or locked up, it instantly gave you "street cred"

But all joke aside, I never understood the logic that because Pac was in Digital Underground, and started as a conscious rapper that there is no way he could have been street in any way.

That is an NT extreme if i have ever seen one.
Same dudes that was some lames in HS talkin tough **** on NT like they were gangsta straight out the womb.

People do change. There was a noticeable change in Pac after he got shot and wrongfully incarcerated.
Almost getting killed can make a person do some gangsta **** that might have been out of his character in his earlier years.

But half of these dudes opinions are irrelevant to begin with, cause they talk **** about how Pac wasnt a thug in HS, but are fans of Lil B

[emoji]128129[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji] [emoji]128129[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji] [emoji]128129[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128129[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128129[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128129[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Last edited:
People evolve, whether or not you enjoy that evolution is another story. He genuinely was evolving. People are used to men getting older and maturing. Calming down in a sense. His evolution was more into a child, free and wild. It be like that. 

And thats why i mentioned him being shot... because for a long while it was almost a running joke in hip hop, that if you got shot or locked up, it instantly gave you "street cred"

But all joke aside, I never understood the logic that because Pac was in Digital Underground, and started as a conscious rapper that there is no way he could have been street in any way.

That is an NT extreme if i have ever seen one.
Same dudes that was some lames in HS talkin tough **** on NT like they were gangsta straight out the womb.

People do change. There was a noticeable change in Pac after he got shot and wrongfully incarcerated.
Almost getting killed can make a person do some gangsta **** that might have been out of his character in his earlier years.

But half of these dudes opinions are irrelevant to begin with, cause they talk **** about how Pac wasnt a thug in HS, but are fans of Lil B
This is what people say about Pac.

Wow at this thread, and it's 8 pages 
laugh.gif

Ok, since no one answered the question, here's what I think street credibility is:

--you were good (overall free from problems with street dudes you interacted with) in your neighborhood BEFORE rapping

--you were known in the streets for the things you rap about or at least affiliated with it BEFORE rapping

--you have done, have been involved in or was next to someone doing the things you rap about BEFORE rapping about it

--you've never been ran out of your neighborhood

--when you go back to your neighborhood, you're generally respected and not because of rap

Now the topic is about street cred. Not about influence or talent as an artist. Obviously Tupac had that.

First question is what neighborhood was Tupac claiming? Second question, what did he do there before rapping that gave him credit in the streets?

Anyone? :nerd:

^ The thing is, if you're rapping about the work you put in, you're basically a snitch. Cardinal sin #1 in the streets. For the most part, rappers are only portions of who they portray on wax.

To a degree... 50 rapped about his life, so did E-40, Suga Free, Jadakiss and so on. Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Ok, since no one answered the question, here's what I think street credibility is:

--you were good (overall free from problems with street dudes you interacted with) in your neighborhood BEFORE rapping

--you were known in the streets for the things you rap about or at least affiliated with it BEFORE rapping

--you have done, have been involved in or was next to someone doing the things you rap about BEFORE rapping about it

--you've never been ran out of your neighborhood

--when you go back to your neighborhood, you're generally respected and not because of rap

Now the topic is about street cred. Not about influence or talent as an artist. Obviously Tupac had that.

First question is what neighborhood was Tupac claiming? Second question, what did he do there before rapping that gave him credit in the streets?

Anyone? :nerd:

im confused as to why your definition places so much emphasis on the individuals neighborhood

this sounds like some text book street cred example made up by Carlton from Fresh Prince

Last time I checked thats where hood **** went down.

I mean you dont have to be FROM said hood, but 9 times out of 10 if some street **** went down, it was in the hood.

You cant be "street" from the burbs. You can be a criminal, but people will just consider you a dumb***...

Last edited:
This ComptonPrince dude just won't let it go. What do you have against Pac bro? Has to be something personal the way you keep going in on this thread.

Last time I checked thats where hood **** went down.

I mean you dont have to be FROM said hood, but 9 times out of 10 if some street **** went down, it was in the hood.

You cant be "street" from the burbs. You can be a criminal, but people will just consider you a dumb***...

read my words carefully

"the individuals neighborhood" is not the same as "where hood **** goes down"

read his words...

YOUR neighborhood
YOUR neighborhood
YOUR neighborhood

the individuals specific neighborhood has little to do with having street cred

Bruh, this aint no college paper, you know what he means buy "you" and "your"....

Back
Top Bottom