ETHER December 4, 2001

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

This didn't come out on his birthday, though.

and my man Cam'ron is the only one to successfully kill Nas AND Jay-Z
laugh.gif

This is the hip-hop equivalent of AI crossing MJ out of his XIIs. You know who the king is, but the kid that the streets mess with took his soul for a brief moment.

While "You Gotta Love It" is hilarious for many reason its a really week diss to be honest.  Cam's Nas disses were much better but NT blindly rides anything Cam (this is coming from a Cam stan) so they overhype it. 

Cam's imitation of Jay during that Red Bull interview though>>>*
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by jthagreat

+shrugs+ i think Jay won on wax. Blueprint^2 absolutely broke Nas down. I also feel Jay answered and responded to everything where Nas ignored it. like folks forget the timeline.   

I've seen/read this a lot from Jay fans on this board.  Can one of you please go in depth and show me where he broke Nas down?  Can y'all please explain to me what made this such a great Nas diss?  Obviously I'm missing something. Thanks in Advance.

Sincerely Yours,

Seymore CAKE

Seymore CAKE

Off topic...but Nas' daughter is a teen now right?

You think she feel some type away about Jay saying he left semen filled contraceptives on her baby seat? Or does she probably have WTT on her iPod like the rest of her peers?

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

+shrugs+ i think Jay won on wax. Blueprint^2 absolutely broke Nas down. I also feel Jay answered and responded to everything where Nas ignored it. like folks forget the timeline.   

I've seen/read this a lot from Jay fans on this board.  Can one of you please go in depth and show me where he broke Nas down?  Can y'all please explain to me what made this such a great Nas diss?  Obviously I'm missing something. Thanks in Advance.

Sincerely Yours,

Seymore CAKE

Seymore CAKE

Lmao but I cosign. I still till this day don't see what was so big about Blueprint 2...but at the same time I don't see what was so big about Last Real N_ alive. They were both great songs but I didn't really view either one as vicious battle ending records

Terrible analogy. You obviously can't put your stanhood aside, stop looking at it in hindsight and place yourself in the perspective 2000-2003. Comparing Jay to McDonald's and Nas to a burger joint
laugh.gif

Are you aware of the timeframe we are talking about.  From 2000-2001 Nas was pretty much forgotten about and left for dead within the hip hop community.  Nobody really cared about him during this time and rightfully so, because he didn't give anybody a reason to.  Fast forward to late 2001 and Nas returns from the dead by dissing Jay Z.  Alot of people including myself were excited that Nas returned back to the game and made a strong comeback, not just with Ether but with Stillmatic.  Finally Nas gave his fans a reason for them to start checking for him after so many fustrating years and letdowns.  With that being said, even though Nas made a strong comeback I don't think he and even his fans knew who and what they were up against.  From 2002-2003 Nas gets some publicity and gets a few magazine covers and all, which was good for him, even headlines SummerJam in 2002.  However as Nas and and even some of his most dedicated fans would soon find out folks weren't really interested in Nas, they were more so interested in the diss to Jay Z, or just Jay Z in general.  With every magazine and radio interview the focus was less on Nas and more on Jay.  When you do a concert and your main selling point is that your going to burn a figure of your opponent that you just dissed that's how and when you know that your not the main focus.  Jay put it best........."You thought SummerJam was starring you.......it was starring me"  When you do a radio interview and the interviewer mentions the other persons name more than your name thats when you know it's time to do a self-evaluation and look for ways of improvement.    

Certain people just aren't in the same league as other people, in life you have owners and then you have workers, you have people that have a starting role for their team then you have people that come off the bench during the tail end of the game just to get minutes.  There's the Harlem Globetrotters, then there's the Washington Generals.  There's McDonalds and then there's the local mom and pop burger spot around the corner, etc. etc.  That's why things haven't really gone quite well for Nas for the most part after Ether dropped, but I won't really touch on that right now. 

Lol....yeah nas was like an In n out burger....
laugh.gif

In and out is right champ, I couldn't agree more.  As far as consistency or relevance goes Nas has been In and Out.  He'll be in one year and out the next, in for few months here and there and then out for a few more.  Just a sporadic period one after the next.  If Nas were a public company he's the kind you would have to watch and monitor very closely because you would have to be ready at a moment's notice to drop or sell your stock quickly before you lose your investment.  You want to have a consistent and steady flow about you, not just in rap but in real life as well.  This is something that alot of you dudes can use and apply for yourselves in your life.  We can learn from Nas and his mistakes and make the necessary corrections so that we don't end up like that guy.   

I remember being 12 when this dropped
laugh.gif

I thought it was the most amazing ++$# ever but we all know this didn't do anything to Jay
nerd.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Wackest Diss Ever.

I really don't understand how calling someone gay x10 times makes this a cool song?

At least Jay's sounded better AND had more actual personal shots.

Neither,did any damage. Both will forever have their own lanes in hip hop that wont be touched. Period. It's was like two old men fighting. Its entertaining, but they really can't and don't wanna hurt the other. Too much respect between the two.

With that said...Ether is indeed the greatest diss of all time.

I must say tho...50 had some great ones too...I'll never forget how hard I laugh when I first heard "I smell p****...is that you Irvvvv?"
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

You think she feel some type away about Jay saying he left semen filled contraceptives on her baby seat? Or does she probably have WTT on her iPod like the rest of her peers?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Jay and his whole felt some type of way about Ether and Nas. You could hear it in his voice during the interviews. And didnt someone in the Roc say it really did affect Jay in a manner. If someone in Jay's camp can say that, why can't anyone else see it?  

The fact that EVERY SONG on Blueprint 2 was a response to any diss/point made in Ether is just 
roll.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Whenever I hear Supa Ugly, all I can think of is how Mommy Carter made little Shawn Corey apologize publicly for his "condoms in the baby seat"comment.

Maximus Meridius wrote:

When have you ever known Shawn not to be able to express himself in an interview?!?! Its still
eek.gif
to this day

laugh.gif
Never heard that sh!# either. That beef definitely let a fire up under Nas.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Never heard Jay flustered like that before!! My god
roll.gif

Still listen to both, but damn, that was some entertaining beef right there.

Originally Posted by diceloveme

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Cant believe its been TEN YEARS THO

I cant front. I was a massive Jay stan and when I heard #ether back in 01, I had that feeling you gett when you know you in trouble and you gotta wait in your room for your dad to get home from work and give you your punishment.

sick.gif

Originally Posted by LBJ23navo

Is there a full interview of Hov & Angie somewhere? 
nerd.gif
Shh got deleted off the net with the quickness. Still wish I recorded it but Jay literally showed up unannounced.
Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

What L though? The only L anyone is taking here is by the same dudes who can't put a former beef between two still relevant artists behind them. Okay, Jay takes the L...he still making hi music. Alright, Nas is the "little brother"...still doing his thing with a new album coming out. Last time I checked there was examples of beef that actually messed up rapper's careers. That isn't the case here with either MC.

Thankfully.
%*@%@$ stay playing coy
30t6p3b.gif
We all know we talking about a battle now dudes is confused to what L I'm referring to. Even Jay admits he took the L in this alleged great diss song in BP2

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Jay and his whole felt some type of way about Ether and Nas. You could hear it in his voice during the interviews. And didnt someone in the Roc say it really did affect Jay in a manner. If someone in Jay's camp can say that, why can't anyone else see it?  

Dame came out and said how Ether took a lot out of Jay...it was messing with his psyche.

You dudes can say Jay survived, which is cool and all. But the ROC died...it was more or less Jay had it going on the solo end as well as collectively with the ROC but as soon as ETHER hit the airwaves it was a wrap for all of them. 

Jay had to resort to doing a track with Beyonce that completely jacked Pac $$%@...and that was his lead single...
ohwell.gif

Nas dropped Made You Look as the lead single off of God's Son...
pimp.gif

Sincerely Yours,

Seymore CAKE

Seymore CAKE

when i get time.

Back
Top Bottom