For reasons not related to boxing, why is Mike Tyson loved and Mayweather hated?

Back then Americans was not as soft like the people of today
Not when he caught that rape charge[emoji]128512[/emoji]
If social media was around in 89-99, nobody would have been comfortable. But now news, sports and all kinds of media run 24hr cycles, so people's thoughts and ideals that were concealed at home, rear their ugly heads all day. Personally I don't rock with some of the things Floyd does but after last night and all the ish i was seeing on my wife's Twitter feed
"Black Man Taking No Loses"..
Mike better remember who he is because one slip up will have him right back to where he was. S/O to Robin Givens[emoji]128512[/emoji]

@Mark Antony brought this up in another thread....and it's a good point.

For all purposes (not related to boxing), Floyd Mayweather seems like a **** person. Media had a field day on him this week leading up to the fight. Going in on his past, his lifestyle, etc. I think more people were tuned in to the fight, hoping to see him lose. He's been on top of the boxing world for a minute, but he's as polarizing of an athlete that you can find in sports today.

And lastly, Ali said it best in an interview with Jim Ross back in the 80s. The best way to draw money is to get people to want to pay to see you lose. More people are willing to pay to see you lose if they hate you than they would to support you if they loved you.

I suggest everyone listen to Mauro Ranallo's interview with Jim Ross. They talked ALOT about why Floyd is hated so much. ANd compared it to Rousey and Ali. It was a damn good discussion

TRR - Ep03 - Mauro Ranallo http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=619&pid=391798

The voice of Showtime Championship Boxing & MMA, and former "Stampede Wrestling" host Mauro Ranallo joins Jim to talk about the man who gave him his first break - Al Tamko, boxing great Floyd Mayweather, Ronda Rousey, the Hart Family, and why he calls himself "the Forrest Gump of broadcasters." 

I would say...

1. Redemption story.

People like comeback stories, stories of redemption. A lot of the positive public sentiment comes from the idea that Tyson has changed his life and redeemed him self from his past actions. Mayweather is 48-0 he's never lost, he has faced limited amounts of punishment for domestic violence which he refuses to acknowledge.

2. Defiance.

Tyson is no longer defiant. He is completely willing to face up to his public failings for the most part and he'sno longer fighting so he can't defy your expectations on the field of play. Mayweather on the other hand is the textbook definition of defiant a quality that america hates especially in black men.

3. Media Relations.

Writers love Tyson, he's just an interesting cultural character, his history back story, physical stature, voice. He's a bundle of contradictions that is ripe for narrative building for writers. If you interview him you are likely to got a lot of good interesting authentic sounding quotes. With Mayweather it's about control and manipulating the media to create a narrative, ducking questions and spinning them back to your talking points. The media hates that.

4. Cultural Climate.

The issues surrounding Violence against women have reached a tipping point. and there is less tolerance than ever for it. Tysons issues exist in the distant past, Mayweathers issues are more recent and his responses when questioned are complete doges.

Thats my guess...

Actually, I don't.
Indirectly, you do. It is ok though. It is fun talking about race. Not saying you wanting that is a bad thing. But it is what it is. You do. No hard feelings. You are still my dude.

Lol. Troll level on expert.
You still my dude though.

Floyd too smart for a lot of cats out here.
Even the people caping for him.

You have to factor race into this though.

White people want to feel superior to Blacks. Yeah, you can have your nice things but not the power.

They want Blacks to abuse drugs, live beyond their means, and dance for master when commanded.

So you make a lot of money? Don't act too Black with it, keep quiet.

Floyd doesn't pander to any of this. It's pretty easy to see why he is a target for "those" kind of White people.

Yall gotta stop playing man.

Floyd is a boxing genius with the reflexes of a cat but he deserves to be hated.

Any man who's a serial woman abuser is a piece of garbage and while I love him as a boxer, he's a piece of **** as a man in my eyes.

What kinda man beats his child's mother in front of his son and uses a friend to stop him from getting help and then threatens him?

That's dispicable.

Floyd wanted ppl to hate him, becuase he felt they wouldnt love his persona. So he amplified it so much that he created his own character, to make his character's name: Money

Tyson did the same. He amplified the fear ppl had of his power and turned himself into a villian to sell fights. He says it himself.

Last edited:
Floyd is a boxing genius with the reflexes of a cat but he deserves to be hated.
Any man who's a serial woman abuser is a piece of garbage and while I love him as a boxer, he's a piece of **** as a man in my eyes.
What kinda man beats his child's mother in front of his son and uses a friend to stop him from getting help and then threatens him?
That's dispicable.
You can't seem to understand.

Floyd was put on this earth to ENTERTAIN. That is his only job in MY life. To entertain.

I don't give a DAMN about his personal life. That doesn't mean I support it.

He made mistakes, does that mean I HAVE to HATE him? No. He is just a human that made mistakes, what I don't even care about.

Folks can't understand Me Not Caring =/= Me Ignoring/Supporting (What he did)

People do HORRIBLE things all the time. ALL of us. But since he is famous, I am supposed to HATE him for it?

I would say...

1. Redemption story.

People like comeback stories, stories of redemption. A lot of the positive public sentiment comes from the idea that Tyson has changed his life and redeemed him self from his past actions. Mayweather is 48-0 he's never lost, he has faced limited amounts of punishment for domestic violence which he refuses to acknowledge.

2. Defiance.

Tyson is no longer defiant. He is completely willing to face up to his public failings for the most part and he'sno longer fighting so he can't defy your expectations on the field of play. Mayweather on the other hand is the textbook definition of defiant a quality that america hates especially in black men.

3. Media Relations.

Writers love Tyson, he's just an interesting cultural character, his history back story, physical stature, voice. He's a bundle of contradictions that is ripe for narrative building for writers. If you interview him you are likely to got a lot of good interesting authentic sounding quotes. With Mayweather it's about control and manipulating the media to create a narrative, ducking questions and spinning them back to your talking points. The media hates that.

4. Cultural Climate.

The issues surrounding Violence against women have reached a tipping point. and there is less tolerance than ever for it. Tysons issues exist in the distant past, Mayweathers issues are more recent and his responses when questioned are complete doges.

Thats my guess...

Decent response from the sincere side.

3. Media Relations.

Good response overall.

But this one stood out to me. The media HATES someone for doing exactly what they do to everyone else. Isn't that ironic? The media gets out mediumed by a "stupid/illierate black man." Of course they will hate that and promote him as a villain. Which is exactly what he wants, which is why he is such a promotional genius.

(Me calling him a genius doesn't mean I support him hitting women)

Easy

Black

Arrogant

Successful

Rich

Those four things in COMBINATION will create a lot of detractors

Ali was hated for the SAME reasons. Remember people, Ali wasn't always loved. White folks HATED him, from what I hear, especially after he "turned his back on good ole USA.:
YEP

and Joe Frazier played the super **** trying to appease them 

Isn't this simple? You can't separate the boxing from the man. Similarly, to basketball, people can't really separate the icon from the person. By all accounts, Jordan was a completely terrible person and yet the world adored him because of how he played the game.

Similarly, people generally LOVED the way Tyson fought. It sparked passion and emotion in them. We as humans rely on that more than anything else and then reverse rationalize it.

With Floyd it is the opposite. Most people aren't emotionally drawn to his fighting style and so they are more clearly able to focus on his "bad" lifestyle decisions etc.

At the end of the day, I think Floyd does much more "acting" bad than Tyson. His lifestyle is great for a few minute clips here and there but for someone with his attention to detail, perfectionist mentality, he probably actually is a pretty "good" person 90% of the time. The other 10% he becomes the spoiled, the world is mine guy, and makes bad decisions.

Easy

Black
Arrogant
Successful
Rich

Ali was hated for the SAME reasons. Remember people, Ali wasn't always loved. White folks HATED him, from what I hear, especially after he "turned his back on good ole USA.:

People forget this.

Remember when Iron Mike was a "rapist" and not a boxer in America's eyes? Or when he was a wife beater in America's eyes. They didn't start "loving" Tyson until he gained a bunch of weight, lost his money, lost his nuts (in the court of public opinion) and lost his dangerous edge. Once he became the apologetic, safe for white consumption negro he is today, he was ok enough for them to pay to see the former beast paraded around with his teeth and claws filed down.

I remember when he first tatted his face he was a crazy ****** with an "er" at the end of the word. America don't like ****** until they're in a rocking chair on the porch talking about "we" and "us" as if white people as a whole are accepting of us as Americans. **** that.

LeBron's decision had white people mad too and he didn't hit one female or flaunt his wealth. Colin Cowherd has openly admitted SERVERAL times on his radio show that the real reason for the hate was because he's black and in control of his life.

mike had it all, lost it all, got humbled and acknowledged his mistakes. your typical redemption story
from what i read mayweather really hasnt own up to his domestic violence stuff
floyd has a lot of "yes men" in his life which doesnt help

who knows, i dont hate/love these athletes

Last edited:

Easy

Black
Arrogant
Successful
Rich

People forget this.

Remember when Iron Mike was a "rapist" and not a boxer in America's eyes? Or when he was a wife beater in America's eyes. They didn't start "loving" Tyson until he gained a bunch of weight, lost his money, lost his nuts (in the court of public opinion) and lost his dangerous edge. Once he became the apologetic, safe for white consumption negro he is today, he was ok enough for them to pay to see the former beast paraded around with his teeth and claws filed down.

I remember when he first tatted his face he was a crazy ****** with an "er" at the end of the word. America don't like ****** until they're in a rocking chair on the porch talking about "we" and "us" as if white people as a whole are accepting of us as Americans. **** that.

LeBron's decision had white people mad too and he didn't hit one female or flaunt his wealth. Colin Cowherd has openly admitted SERVERAL times on his radio show that the real reason for the hate was because he's black and in control of his life.
Colin is a straight up racist with his comments about Sean Taylor and John Wall 

mike had it all, lost it all, got humbled and acknowledged his mistakes. your typical redemption story
from what i read mayweather really hasnt own up to his domestic violence stuff
floyd has a lot of "yes men" in his life which doesnt help

who knows, i dont hate/love these athletes
This is my thing.

What does "owning up to his domestic violence" look like?

Apologizing to the media/public?

Why should he? It isn't our business.

We have NO idea if he has/hasn't made it right with the people he has harmed. That is all that matters. 

Typical American Entitlement. He needs to apologize to US for his personal issues.

See how wild that sounds?

Cowherd is a herb. Dude is nothing but a worthless shock jock that says anything to drum up controversy. I'll never listen to that chicken **** ************ after the way he went in on Melo for no reason when the Knicks first got him.

Colin is a straight up racist with his comments about Sean Taylor and John Wall 

I KNOW he is and I have to turn his show off a lot because when he starts with his bs it gets me a little tight. However, what he says about white people not liking LeBron is a peek behind the curtain. It's like when my uncle used to listen to Rush Fatass to remind himself of how racist America still is. Same **** different day.

That's dispicable.
I feel you but what about
Mark Wahlberg
Sean Penn
Stone Cold Steve Austin
I could go on and on and they have been women beaters(hell Marky Mark disabled an Asian Man in his youth) but they seem to be forgiven ALL DAY.
So why are so many brothers now the face of domestic violence, when others have done far worst and have been applauded as great visionaries and entertainers.
Wasn't Matt Kellerman suspended for slapping his woman but he is still eating good off of SportsNation.

I always thought Colin was a big Lebron supporter.
Slurps him every chance he gets.

Is this not accurate?
Srs question.

Back
Top Bottom