Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Curry is Delonte West at best.
Say that off the wall #$@% one more time. Please.

I'm taking back the sn.

laugh.gif

I think your #$%$%%%! a little hard on Delonte. There games are pretty similar, they both can play one guard for spurts but aren't true pg's, both aregreat college shooters and Delonte is a much better defender than Steph will ever be. Honestly, I prefer Curry over a lot of guys but I think Flynn orJennings.

And I think Jennings is going to be a steal in this draft. If dude and went and played a year at Arizona there would have been no way he wouldn't havebeen a lock top 5 pick and if he played well enough he could have even been ahead of Rubio.

somebody needs to get into contact with lebron ASAP and ask him to rank his top 5 guards of the draft, and we just pick the one ranked highest on his listthats available
laugh.gif

[h1]Knicks should explore trades for No. 8 pick[/h1]Alan Hahn 11:53 AM EDT, May 20, 2009On the anniversary of the infamous "frozen envelope," a legend that always makes David Stern turn his head and frown, the NBA had reason to rig it again.

Stern regularly denies any tampering with that inaugural draft lottery in 1985, when it has been said that the Knicks envelope was frozenso Stern would know which not to choose until the end. It was a coup for the league to get Patrick Ewing, one of the most dominantcollege basketball players of all-time, in its largest media market. It just happened to work out that way, of course, though the anti-New York bias willalways cry foul.

Since then, painstaking steps have been taken to ensure the lottery drawing is as random as Nate Robinson's hairstyles. They take representatives into awindow-less room, confiscate all cell phones and Blackberrys - No Tweeting! - and hold the official drawing there with the very serious number crunchers fromthe firm Ernst & Young monitoring everything. No tricks, no weighted dice. No frozen lottery balls. Just luck.

And the NBA awoke Wednesday to this realization: Blake Griffin is going to be a Clipper.

That really happened?

There was some anticipation for a few fleeting moments, as the Oklahoma City Thunder, the relocated Sonics franchise that had such an amazing instant loveaffair with its new city, was in - as Ryan Seacrest would say - the bottom three. But the hope of landing the Oklahoma Sooner sensation ended quickly asthe Thunder's placard was revealed with the No. 3 pick.

A sigh was heard in the studio. It matched the groan that came when the Knicks were revealed at the No. 8 spot.

So much for drama. But perhaps there is much more to unfold here over the next five weeks, until the NBA Draft on June 25. You could already sense theuneasiness from those teams who did not get into the top three. The Washington Wizards, who had thesecond-worst record this season but fell to the fifth pick, are believed to be strongly considering trades because, with a playoff-caliber roster loaded withveterans, they would prefer to get immediate help rather than another project. Others, especially after the workouts, may concur.

This draft will produce a crop of talent (they all eventually do), but how soon that crop develops is debatable. Some teams don't want to wait and, ifthey're willing to trade, don't have to wait. The Knicks, who need to show some legitimate promise this season to attract free agents next summer, maynot have much time to wait.

Still, unless a player like Stephen Curry - or some of the others - does enough at the NBA Combine next week and in his individual workout to make you believehe can be a difference-maker, the best play for Donnie Walsh and the Knicks might be to engage in trade talks for the No. 8 pick. It is a valuable commoditythat, packaged properly, could jump-start the 2010 Plan more effectively than drafting another young player who will take at least a season or two, if notmore, to develop.

"That isn't always easy to do," Walsh said as he acknowledged my suggestion. "Likely in our situation, a team would have to take a player inthe deal because we're over the cap. And if they're over the cap too, that could cause a problem."

Yes, these types of trades are often very complicated. But with a great deal of financial concerns around the league, a pick-swap could be the deal-maker in anattempt to get a player such as Tyson Chandler, Chris Bosh or even Steve Nash, each of whom could be available this summer.

While putting a great deal of focus on potential draftees over the next five weeks, Walsh will also kick plenty of tires, there's no doubt about it. And hewon't be the only one.

i dont want to trade this pick away, unless someone wants curry or JJ's contract.
anyone think we should draft a center and wait for john wall? i seen some of his vids, and he seems pretty
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

how would we get john wall we don't have a pick next year?

and why would we trade away a pick for steve nash when we can pick him up in 2010?

i really hope walsh can work out some sort of trade with that pick because i don't see us getting any talent that can help toward winning a title. at bestwe can drop nate for cap space and replace his 6th man role with stephen curry.

I've said it before, just glad we have Donnie.

he's given me no reason to be worried about not making the correct deals.

[h1]KNICKS COACH D'ANTONI HAS EYE ON CURRY[/h1][h3]By MARC BERMAN[/h3]
With the Knicks locked in with the No. 8 pick, coach Mike D'Antoni weighed in yesterday on Davidson point guard Stephen Curry -- the front-runner to wear a blue-and-orange jersey.

Reached in Mullens, W. Va., where he is spending the week in his home state doing speaking engagements, D'Antoni didn't sound disappointed theKnicks didn't get a higher spot in Tuesday's lottery.
The Knicks want to add a guard with playmaking and shooting skills to their roster by June 25.Curry's new agent spoke to the Knicks yesterday as they attempted to arrange a workout in Westchester around June 5.
"He's going to be a really good pro," D'Antoni told The Post. "But it's too early to gauge. There's four of them we'velooked at [on film], and I'm sure that will expand. I didn't think it's disappointing. We didn't drop back. We could get a good player at 8.Sometimes you make mistakes at 3."

Last week, the 6-foot-3 Curry hired agent Jeff Austin, who represented his father, Dell Curry. Austin had a strong conversation with Knicks team presidentDonnie Walsh last week about Curry.

"The Knicks have clearly shown interest," Austin said yesterday. "And Stephen feels the same way. He has interest in them."

Austin said he will schedule workouts for Curry with lottery teams between 5 and 14, and has fielded several calls. Curry, the nation's leading scorer,is working out at in Washington, D.C.

Austin said Curry's friendship with LeBron James, whom the Knicksdream of attracting in 2010, is genuine. Curry worked at James' basketball camp in Cleveland last summer.

"They've played against each other at the camp, scrimmaging," Austin said. "They definitely still talk."

D'Antoni and Walsh will attend the NBA Combine on May 28-29 in Chicago and begin pre-draft workouts in Westchester June 1.

Also on their radar are point guards, Tyreke Evans, Jrue Holiday, Jonny Flynn, Brandon Jennings, Tyson Law and USC shooting guard DeMar DeRozan.

[h2]Reports say Rubio not interested in Memphis[/h2] [h3]May 22, 2009[/h3]

Ricky Rubio isn't making any friends in Memphis, where according to reports he is telling the Grizzlies not to select him with the No. 2 overall pick. That could be bad news for Hasheem Thabeet and good news for the Knicks, who would love to make Rubio their future point guard.

Agent Dan Fegan tried a similar tactic with Yi Jianlian when the Chinese small forward was entering the draft. Unfortunately, the Bucks didn't listen to Fegan and drafted Yi, who may just be the worst starting player in the league. The Bucks wised up last summer and traded Yi to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson, who had a decent season in Milwaukee while Yi nearly cost Lawrence Frank his job.

The Knicks need the cash-strapped Grizzlies to draft Rubio and try to negotiate a trade in July. Rubio has never said he'd like to play for the Knicks but both Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriquez told me last month that if they didn't play for the Blazers they would prefer to be in New York.

"It's not a long flight from Spain," Fernandez said. "And it's New York."

[h3]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/05/stephen_curry_has_a_blog.html[/h3]
[h3]Stephen Curry has a blog[/h3]
And you can read it here on NBA.com.

His first post included his thoughts on the NBA lottery and that he's pretty happy with the teams that stayed in the range he expects to go.

So it worked out pretty well. I see New York at 8, who's really high on my list of teams that I'd love to go to. I see Washington at 5 and Minnesota at 6. Those are teams that need a point guard, and that's what I can offer.

Watching it, I was really nervous, but things worked out the way I hoped they would.

It's a different situation than the top four guys, but for me it was also important because of New York and the talks about how much they like me before the workouts even started. If they jumped up to 1, 2 or 3, it would have taken me out of the picture.

They don't guarantee anything. They don't say "If you're on the board, we're definitely going to take you," but they do show interest more than other teams, so you can tell who has you on their radar and how strong that radar is.

Nothing's for certain, definitely. You can't think, "Oh, I have a lock at a certain spot." But you can know that a team likes you, so if you go to the workout and do well, they'll continue to have interest in you.
It's a month before the draft and we're already in Curry overload

I'm starting to feel like we really should be going after Flynn more than Curry.

Not taking anything away from Curry, but Flynn is more of a complete PG which is what we need.

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

I'm starting to feel like we really should be going after Flynn more than Curry.

Not taking anything away from Curry, but Flynn is more of a complete PG which is what we need.

Now your %$##$ !%* comes around

If their actually thinking about Ty Lawson in this process as H20 alluded to, I have to wonder why they wouldn't think about Flynn.

After his workouts they will.

Tyson Law
laugh.gif
smh.gif

In terms of who to get i do think Curry would be great here, but Flynn is my favorite player in the NCAA and i love the heart he plays woith and he is a morecomplete PG and a better defender. Also if Jennings slipped to 8 i dont think itd be wise to pass him up either cause i think he has a higher ceiling than allof them and he is a superb athlete who is a legit PG with EXCELLENT handles i think out of all the dudes we seem to be targting he has the highest chance ofbeing an allstar some day. I also like Evans alot...

Also if we did trade up to #2 am i alone in that i would want Thabeet over Rubio? It would def be a tough call but i think a tall athletic big who puts downshots like Thabeet is EXACTLY what we need... and i despise UConn more than any other school in the country.

Agent Dan Fegan tried a similar tactic with Yi Jianlian when the Chinese small forward was entering the draft. Unfortunately, the Bucks didn't listen to Fegan and drafted Yi, who may just be the worst starting player in the league. The Bucks wised up last summer and traded Yi to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson, who had a decent season in Milwaukee while Yi nearly cost Lawrence Frank his job.
roll.gif
roll.gif

dude sounds like he got something personal against Yi...

and if for some reason we dont end up drafting a PG i wouldnt mind trying to make a deal or some #*+* with Portland and get our hands on Sergio Rodriguez itsounds like hed lovee to play here and i think he is an ideal fit to run our system for the time being. And i think Portland is pretty actively shopping himdue to the excess of guards over there and Jerryd Bayless still rotting on the end of the bench.

as much as i would like a center, i would love to see rubio in this system.
granted, i havent seen either play much, but eh, ill take my chances on ricky.

For this team going forward, I'm going by this rule of thumb..

If you're not a centerpiece talent, you better be willing to play a role or know how to.

Because we will finally have that after a another year...

It's why the likes of Stephon Marbury, Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, and Jamal Crawford have failed. certainly there are other examples around the league.

So, to me This would automatically eliminate Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings.

I want high character, professional, dedicated to winning individuals and good teammates.

Galliniari is a piece for the future, as is Will. David Lee and or Nate can be as well depending on the price.

and this stuff boggles my mind how we took on some of the bums we did instead of a guy like PEJR.

and this stuff boggles my mind how we took on some of the bums we did instead of a guy like PEJR.
QFT he def hknows his role more than most dudes. Why the hell did we not even hit him up with a 10 day down the season
smh.gif

speaking of which are we keeping dudes like Sene, Courtney Simms, and Crawford around?
nerd.gif

and with evans and Jennings..

it's not really a character question (although we know with those 2 those could be made)

but they dominate the ball too much and need to do so to be effective. Evans finally picked it up when it was ALL him this past year.

we don't need that. And it isn't productive in this system. or any really.

I know Curry and Flynn dominated the ball, too. But did so effectively. In Curry's case we've already seen him work off the ball as a sophomore andthen on it as a junior.

Flynn ran/lead one of the better offenses in the country this past year.

While somebody like Jrue isn't as talented and wouldn't appear to be as good of a pick as Tyreke Evans, if you give me those 2 as my only choices forthis team, I probably go with Jrue.

it's like how everyone thought Houston got fleeced in that Battier for Gay trade......yeah.....

Is Ewing still with our D league affiliate? Or is that a lost cause.

Honestly I can still see this team making a bone head decision on draft night and pass on Curry AND Flynn for someone we never had on the radar.

I'm just waiting for the workouts at this point to see what we're really looking at.

Back
Top Bottom