Has the Jordan hype gone down?

As long as I'm able to cop the models I like in my size with relative ease then I can care less. I'm glad people are backing off.

JB hype isn't going down, their prices are raising and Nike stock is performing at an insane rate this year.

Nike and JB have figured out how to control the market. If their sales are low they just restock or produce more of a popular shoe to raise numbers for the quarter.

JB already got their money for the Aquas no matter if they are sitting or not. Pretty smart for them to even profit off of the moldy pairs.

Last edited:

JB hype isn't going down, their prices are raising and Nike stock is performing at an insane rate this year.

Nike and JB have figured out how to control the market. If their sales are low they just restock or produce more of a popular shoe to raise numbers for the quarter.

JB already got their money for the Aquas no matter if they are sitting or not. Pretty smart for them to even profit off of the moldy pairs.

^^^ this man knows

The biggest factor is the mass proliferation of weekly retros and brand new colorways that have flooded the market but consequently has allowed consumers the luxury of having options and most importantly is now slowly creating the supply to meet the demand. Which is why, for example, Nike/JB saw no need to reproduce the moldy KO Breds anytime soon in spite of the well received hype. Because JB knew that its roster of upcoming releases would be more than enough to satisfy the needs and wants of consumers.

Additionally, the recent price point increases is all part of a master strategic plan designed to secure a new consumer demographic (new sneakerheads entering the game). JB knows that the old regime will be turned off by the new price hikes because we're accustomed to $150 not $200. However JB also knows that it can keep the old regime in check by constantly bringing out the best retros time and time again, week by week, and allowing the old regime to have buying options by making enough pairs to satisfy the demand. This in itself keeps us in the game as consumers despite the rising price points - no matter what we think or say, we are emotionally tied to the product and brand loyalty will never cease because we grew up rocking jordans. They capitalize on this notion big time. Ask yourself how many times have you said "I'm done with Jordans" but a couple months later you're doubling up on Chicago 1s and Cement 4s.

At the same time, "new" and younger generation jordan heads are introduced to the game and these cats have no choice but to accept the $180+ price point cause that's all they know.

And what if $190 MTM 7s or Statue 9s sit for months? Will Nike be hurting because of it? Of course not. Because Nike would have already profited from its sales at 190 a pop, and even if stores put them on sale at $150 plus tax after they've been sitting for months, JB would still eventually sell out all their "sitting stock" at the $150 price point, which is the price we all think they should've been in the first place. And whats funny is that we as consumers will think we are saving money or buying at a bargain if the price on statue 9s is lowered to 140 or 150, when all along we arent really saving because theyve conditioned us to believe that 190 is now the new "regular" price. Believe it or not, oil companies do this exact same type of price conditioning to us when they raise gas prices. They tease us with $2.50 a gallon for three weeks, raise it to $4.25 for a month, and when they lower it to $3.85, we begin to think gas prices are "low" when they shoulda been well below $3.00 the whole time.

So all along, JB still maximizes profit because guess what...JB's manufacturing costs either stay the same or go down, while the price they charge us continually goes up which, in turn, allows them to keep making more and more retros, remasters, and new colorways every week in order to execute their strategic plan to have supply ultimately meet demand while minimizing production costs.

Not to mention, public pressure (and perhaps government leaders as well) to have the brand produce enough pairs for everybody because every time a news report appears where stores are ransacked by unruly people in line on RD, or people getting robbed/killed because of jordans, Nike and JB's reputation takes a considerable hit and this can mean a potential loss in sales and marketability.

In sum, the so-called hype hasn't diminished one bit. The landscape is simply evolving and doing so on Nike's terms not ours. All we can do as consumers is facilitate the direction in which nike decides which way to take their product pricing when it comes to J's (i.e. resellers' influence). Just my opinion, of course. Didn't realize i damn near wrote a paper here. Lol

Last edited:
Nike won't feel it until retailer orders start declining and I think that is still pretty far off

Last edited:
The other day I was thinking about this also...it'd be dope if like they do a restart series...they could start with the 1s and once a year drop all the colors at the same time with a HUGE shipment...then next year the 2s then 3s. Throw new colors and limited ones here n there. It'd capture the og vibe if did right

Jordan did the restart in 1999.It's not dead,it's just flooded.consignment shops are new backbone of Industry.shops like roundtwo,stadium goods,flight club stabilize jordan market.jordan is trying to cash in,he made more off jordans in the last 12 month's then his total life time career earnings and endorsements.ppl are all just trying cop the rare or hot flip.market is also more diversified than ever.Fiegs,kd,kobe,designer.it use to be 90% all jordan

Last edited:
The quantity of releases is a problem. At least for me. Made me selective.

Runners get some hype but Adidas has originals that I personally prefer and am willing for pay $220 for. They are comfortable and look good. Cannot wear BB kicks around as much anymore.....though some are more comfortable than originals and runners to be honest.

Nike is going nowhere. But the time lapse from Jordan's day and now is to the point kids don't relate. And that is where they could fumble the ball a bit and lose market. The worst thing a company can do is be lethargic and lack innovation. Adidas is getting a little momentum and going for musicians more than athletes. And it is working for them.

^^^ this man knows

So how does one persons opinion make another person clueless?

If the point is stock prices, JBs impact on that isn't the primary factor, JB accounts for 10% of Nike's sales and falls under Nike's basketball sales, they don't break it out separately. Nike's stock price has increased not just this year but over the last several, while sales/profit growth is a factor, they sold Cole Hann and Umbro this past year, and continue to repurchase outstanding shares. China is the single largest area of growth, future orders which account for 86% of Nike's orders were at 20%, NA was a distant second at 13%, all other areas were down year over year due to exchange rate differences.

If the thought is the JB restocks popular models, within weeks or even months to stimulate sales that's not the case. Nike plans production and releases 18-24 months out or longer. Mass apparel makers like Nike aren't nimble (with a few exceptions in product categories).

Getting tired of all these new consignment shops starting up :rolleyes :smh:. I only mess with RIF, SS, FC & ESM Chicago

Getting tired of all these new consignment shops starting up :rolleyes :smh:. I only mess with RIF, SS, FC & ESM Chicago
kick spott in DC just tried to tell me that my DS hare 7s only had a$160 trade value because trades are worth less than cash, I almost laughed out loud. Consignment shops are wack

kick spott in DC just tried to tell me that my DS hare 7s only had a$160 trade value because trades are worth less than cash, I almost laughed out loud. Consignment shops are wack
GameStop is worse, trade in a brand new $60 game, get $30 back...Power To The Players!
laugh.gif

Consignment shops gotta make money off the shoes they buy from you. There's no way they're gonna give you the full market value.

Consignment shops gotta make money off the shoes they buy from you. There's no way they're gonna give you the full market value.
I was going to trade my pair for the UNC 1s which have a much lower resell value, even in their site the Hares we $80 more than the UNCs. If I traded them my Hares, and they were to sell my Hares, they would make more money of the Hares than the UNCs. While I understand consignment, some deals are just stupid in the long run

wow they're offering you $30 under retail smh when other places trying to off theirs for $230-250

Flight Club sending me emails talking about Black Friday deals I click on the link ain't no deals smh same [emoji]128169[/emoji] still overpriced af

Thru out the 17-18yrs Ive been collecting.

Ive known many of ppl who hopped on the J train, then dropped back off, after a few yrs or less.
It was the in thing ,and the most were looking to blend amoungst their peers. '00-06 Js werent super hard to obtain, provided you put in the work.
The DMP-6-11 pack was when I first recall the hype setting in. Reselling became the norm.
After that 1st DMP for the most part retros were hit&miss. That is until the most recent release of the concord 11s. From there, it seemed like everyone was thirsten. Lining up for just about any retro release. In came Guaranteed tix & raffles , then bots.
The whole time Brand J. bearing witness to the hype climbing in turn, gradually raising the $ tag.
Back when retros first started Brand J. said theyd retro Js with the same $tag as the OGs, and they honored that statement up until , I believe '05-06. Once they seen that demand, the quality declined and the prices rised.
Truth be told the quality of retros we're getting now, is the same quality , just about that we was getting '00-'04.
This current price on retros is getting wild, I think we all agree on that.
Its the nature of the beast, so to speak, business as usual, statagize,capitalize and monopolize.
Its far from over, rather entering a brief stage of dormancy.
As it stands now alot of ppl dont really know MJ or what he was for that era, yet the trend carried over from genration to generation.

I do think 10yrs from now it wont be what it once was in terms of profitability, but currently they are at there peak .
I see them settling along the lines of converse 10-20yrs from today, only on a grander scale.

Last edited:
Very few people understand that Nike sells the shoes to retailers and then they sell them to you and Nike has already made their money whether or not they sell out day 1.

Also Nobody realizes that less Jordan's selling out is good for the consumer ? maybe that's just me

I love sneakers but dude screw Nike as a company I don't care how their product sells to other people nor do I care about their bottom line if they have something I want for sale at a price I deem reasonable I'll buy it simple as that.

Lot of shoe hipsters in here too [emoji]128064[/emoji]

Flight Club sending me emails talking about Black Friday deals I click on the link ain't no deals smh same [emoji]128169[/emoji] still overpriced af

Gotta make that 20% commish. Only reason to buy there is to guarantee a legit shoe. That is what you are paying for. Nothing else.

Very few people understand that Nike sells the shoes to retailers and then they sell them to you and Nike has already made their money whether or not they sell out day 1.

Also Nobody realizes that less Jordan's selling out is good for the consumer ? maybe that's just me

I love sneakers but dude screw Nike as a company I don't care how their product sells to other people nor do I care about their bottom line if they have something I want for sale at a price I deem reasonable I'll buy it simple as that.

Lot of shoe hipsters in here too [emoji]128064[/emoji]
Personally, I want to own the shoes that Michael Jordan made famous by his exploits on the court.  Quality and close to the OG form is an added incentive that I care about too.  I love the history of the OG colorway shoes the most and how they helped create iconic memories of one of the greatest basketball player to ever step foot on the court.

Back
Top Bottom