Has the Jordan hype gone down?

all people did was complain about how nike should just make more pairs so everybody can get some. now they do and everybody is like "JB is dying!" LOL yall don't know what you want

2012 black red XIs had an actual 2nd release which was in March. Guys have to get your facts straight.

bigj505 bigj505 you know good and well all those produced from the "second release" had the same production dates. It was one release that took months to sell through because Nike/JB flooded the market to avoid chaos since everybody had something to say about how the concord release was handled the year before.

all people did was complain about how nike should just make more pairs so everybody can get some. now they do and everybody is like "JB is dying!" LOL yall don't know what you want

Exactly. This is why JB is anti-consumer as is. We don't know what we want.

Personally, I want to own the shoes that Michael Jordan made famous by his exploits on the court.  Quality and close to the OG form is an added incentive that I care about too.  I love the history of the OG colorway shoes the most and how they helped create iconic memories of one of the greatest basketball player to ever step foot on the court.

Please do tell us more, so amazing amd refreshing to hear

2012 black red XIs had an actual 2nd release which was in March. Guys have to get your facts straight.

bigj505 bigj505 you know good and well all those produced from the "second release" had the same production dates. It was one release that took months to sell through because Nike/JB flooded the market to avoid chaos since everybody had something to say about how the concord release was handled the year before.
He never said they had different production dates

Last edited by a moderator:
First, these Aquas can still be had at retail, not above - Eastbay has a full size run right now. Second, I said this two months ago, and suggested that the "hype" bug had moved on to the Yeezys and the like. Nobody bought it, LOL.

We know the hype is still there - several high-top 1s have sold out instantly, and those carolina white and black 13s from a few weeks back did to thanks to demand and limited quantity. But other brands have made inroads, and the sheer quantity of the GRs means instant sellouts are less likely.

For my part, I say Tally-Ho! I don't have bots or insider connections at stores, so love it when a shoe sits and I can cop easily. 

[h1]HAS THE JORDAN HYPE GONE DOWN? - YES, I REALLY HOPED FOR IT SO I CAN GET THE PAIR THAT I WANT LOL[/h1]

So you guys must think the 72-10's are gonna sit. What about the WC IV's?

Yes, the hype has gone down with Jordan's and Nike basketball. Like many mentioned, Kanye took a lot of the hype to adidas. Seems like every damn celebrity has a pair of yeezy boosts :lol:. People have also realized that these runners are cheaper and more comfortable.A lot of these retros are bulky and heavy. People who try to "dress better" move away from retros. Ultimately, I don't think they're hurting too much from it. They still have drake, collabs, PEs, and Nike Air if things get rough :lol:.

Personally, I want to own the shoes that Michael Jordan made famous by his exploits on the court.  Quality and close to the OG form is an added incentive that I care about too.  I love the history of the OG colorway shoes the most and how they helped create iconic memories of one of the greatest basketball player to ever step foot on the court.
Absolutely, I feel the same way. My point just was that I don't care about hype or how much Nike or footlocker or whoever made selling the shoe. All I know is i added a piece to my collection and I'm damn proud of it no matter how many people lined up for it and actually got them

Last edited:
2015 aquas will be the same way. 400+ resell this time next year

:lol: Aquas ain't hitting that until at least 5+ years. Cross that..most likely never since JB would retro again by the time they go for that much. I can't even resell my 2011 white cement 3s for that much yet.

Last edited:
Jordan hype dips up and down every couple of years. It's brought back by that one shoe. I feel that after the 11/12 CDP in 2008, Jordan slowed because there were only 4 or 5 retroes and 2 packs in all of 2009....and virtually no hype for anything in 2010 and 2011 which actually had some decent releases during that time. The sheer hype and hysteria of the concord brought it all back and to me lasted well through 2013. Before that the streets had jumped on Griffeys and Foamposites.

forget wanting to wear what dude wore on the court. JB uses that against us. Once i realized that, i was cool with just buying at my convenience.

He never said they had different production dates

I never said he said that either. His statement was worded to suggest that Nike made another batch of black/red 11's to release again. It was just a retro that Nike flooded the market with to please cry babies and concerned outsiders who didn't understand why people were getting trampled over or robbed and killed for some Air Jordan's like it was 1990. That mass production is why we didn't get the slide out box for black/red 11's in 2012....

:lol: Aquas ain't hitting that until at least 5+ years. Cross that..most likely never since JB would retro again by the time they go for that much. I can't even resell my 2011 white cement 3s for that much yet.

I disagree. Aquas 8's are a polarizing shoe. I feel like once these remastered Air Jordan's start picking up more steam people will see how good the Aquas 8's are craftsmanship wise.

And 2011 white cements won't get any attention because '88 white cements are more superior

forget wanting to wear what dude wore on the court. JB uses that against us. Once i realized that, i was cool with just buying at my convenience.

The OG CW's are the ONLY Air Jordan's I'll spend money on. The retro+ colorways are cool and there are some that take me back to a special time (Green bean 5's, black cat 4's, flint 7's) but I only have a connection with the shoes I saw Michael play in because that's where my love of Air Jordan's came from. Retro+ colorways are for the new boys

The OG CW's are the ONLY Air Jordan's I'll spend money on. The retro+ colorways are cool and there are some that take me back to a special time (Green bean 5's, black cat 4's, flint 7's) but I only have a connection with the shoes I saw Michael play in because that's where my love of Air Jordan's came from. Retro+ colorways are for the new boys

def a personal opinion thing. i like the silhouette of a shoe and I'm open minded about colors that i deem nice. unless you are an old head, and that 40+, you only saw MJ play and vividly remember when MJ was in the 2nd half of his career.

I actually hope so. The demand got so high and Nike and JB was feeding the beast. I loved it when a release was only every few months. My old heads can recall when it was just a white jordan at the start of the basketball season, all star kicks, playoffs and maybe a summer color. You got 4 kicks in a year span. Maybe even a lifestyle color (it wasn't called lifestyle then though. Think grape 5 and sport blue 6) Now it's 3-4 jordans a month. Pure over kill! The prestige is wearing off unless it's an extreme limited shoe. Add that with the prices at $190-250 every other week, most simply can't keep up.

Last edited:
none of what you mentioned matters to be honest.
Adidas doesn't release enough Yeezys to really steal too much thunder from nike. Those yeezy guys fall under the "quality" over quantity category or even the exclusive ones. If Yeezys would drop in the 500K numbers the way some of these retros drop then they would lose their appeal.

The kobe, KD, and lebron lines have been suffering lately also. We just wait for those to go on sale for the most part.

Kyrie is killing because his shoes filled the void that the Kobe and the KD left when they got the significant price hikes. That line will fall off too once it gets to the special $165-200 price point that Nike will try and get them to.

Nike's sales in 2015 were up from $27b to $30b. Basketball is their biggest category by dollars and was also the highest growth category in percentage and dollars. If this is the case how are 3 of Nike's top 5 player lines in this category suffering? It's simply not possible.

Nike's stated that their increased profit is due to among other things higher selling prices. Discounting of product isn't new, it's been occurring for years. If you discount from a higher selling price, you still end up with higher dollars.

As far as the Yeezys, this is a halo brand aimed at pulling up the visibility of Adidas and the Boost technology. All they're doing is running the same playbook as Nike from years back on limited supply. Will it end up working out economically, we'll see years from now.

The entire thread is 'Has Jordan hype gone down?' If the hype is defined by retro Jordan's selling out in one day, the answer would be yes. But depends on each of our definitions.

Last edited:
I've had most pairs of Jordans I have ever wanted at least 2x over, from originals to retros. I've been wearing these shoes since elementary school in the late 80s. At a point you get tired of buying the same shoe that is inferior to the original or even the first retros. I'm just retro'd out. I haven't been excited about owning a new model since the XX3 and XX8. They have seemed too busy chasing their own hype than being loyal to the Jordan legacy over the years, I've felt pushed aside to accommodate the new "gotta catch them all" crowd. I can't say that I'm done with Jordans, but I can only buy the same shoe so many times.

Last edited:
Naw it wasn't a restock. It was literally a rerelease. Stores got them both online and local. That really killed the resale of those XIs tho it has gone back up. Not a restock. A full release.

Yep

My store had those along with thunder 4's cg9s and x-max series Nike signatures

Funny thing, invented sneakerpawn format,me and chase of ny sneakerpawn discussed the industry future.When the db drops next nov3mber,ginger 16,bulls 17 the hype will be back.mark my words.jordqn shoes are a staple of popular hip hop fashion and entertainers,along with students

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom