Has the Jordan hype gone down?

none of what you mentioned matters to be honest.
Adidas doesn't release enough Yeezys to really steal too much thunder from nike. Those yeezy guys fall under the "quality" over quantity category or even the exclusive ones. If Yeezys would drop in the 500K numbers the way some of these retros drop then they would lose their appeal.

The kobe, KD, and lebron lines have been suffering lately also. We just wait for those to go on sale for the most part.

Kyrie is killing because his shoes filled the void that the Kobe and the KD left when they got the significant price hikes. That line will fall off too once it gets to the special $165-200 price point that Nike will try and get them to.

Nike's sales in 2015 were up from $27b to $30b. Basketball is their biggest category by dollars and was also the highest growth category in percentage and dollars. If this is the case how are 3 of Nike's top 5 player lines in this category suffering? It's simply not possible.

Nike's stated that their increased profit is due to among other things higher selling prices. Discounting of product isn't new, it's been occurring for years. If you discount from a higher selling price, you still end up with higher dollars.

As far as the Yeezys, this is a halo brand aimed at pulling up the visibility of Adidas and the Boost technology. All they're doing is running the same playbook as Nike from years back on limited supply. Will it end up working out economically, we'll see years from now.

The entire thread is 'Has Jordan hype gone down?' If the hype is defined by retro Jordan's selling out in one day, the answer would be yes. But depends on each of our definitions.

i never said sales were down. i actually said nike is still profiting so nike isn't really slumping at all. you said the JB retros are being pushed aside by lebrons and kobes which simply isn't the case. nike basketball's share in the market isn't something new like you are making it seem. its BEEN there. always has.

Funny thing, iinvented sneakerpawn format,me and chase of ny sneakerpawn discussed the industry future

Pawning sneakers is VERY innovative I definitely loved the idea.

However for sneakers it's VERY dependent on location and what type of people in he sneaker community. NY is perfect cause lil kids be broke as **** and willing to sell their kicks at a very low price.

The biggest factor is the mass proliferation of weekly retros and brand new colorways that have flooded the market but consequently has allowed consumers the luxury of having options and most importantly is now slowly creating the supply to meet the demand. Which is why, for example, Nike/JB saw no need to reproduce the moldy KO Breds anytime soon in spite of the well received hype. Because JB knew that its roster of upcoming releases would be more than enough to satisfy the needs and wants of consumers.

Additionally, the recent price point increases is all part of a master strategic plan designed to secure a new consumer demographic (new sneakerheads entering the game). JB knows that the old regime will be turned off by the new price hikes because we're accustomed to $150 not $200. However JB also knows that it can keep the old regime in check by constantly bringing out the best retros time and time again, week by week, and allowing the old regime to have buying options by making enough pairs to satisfy the demand. This in itself keeps us in the game as consumers despite the rising price points - no matter what we think or say, we are emotionally tied to the product and brand loyalty will never cease because we grew up rocking jordans. They capitalize on this notion big time. Ask yourself how many times have you said "I'm done with Jordans" but a couple months later you're doubling up on Chicago 1s and Cement 4s.

At the same time, "new" and younger generation jordan heads are introduced to the game and these cats have no choice but to accept the $180+ price point cause that's all they know.

And what if $190 MTM 7s or Statue 9s sit for months? Will Nike be hurting because of it? Of course not. Because Nike would have already profited from its sales at 190 a pop, and even if stores put them on sale at $150 plus tax after they've been sitting for months, JB would still eventually sell out all their "sitting stock" at the $150 price point, which is the price we all think they should've been in the first place. And whats funny is that we as consumers will think we are saving money or buying at a bargain if the price on statue 9s is lowered to 140 or 150, when all along we arent really saving because theyve conditioned us to believe that 190 is now the new "regular" price. Believe it or not, oil companies do this exact same type of price conditioning to us when they raise gas prices. They tease us with $2.50 a gallon for three weeks, raise it to $4.25 for a month, and when they lower it to $3.85, we begin to think gas prices are "low" when they shoulda been well below $3.00 the whole time.

So all along, JB still maximizes profit because guess what...JB's manufacturing costs either stay the same or go down, while the price they charge us continually goes up which, in turn, allows them to keep making more and more retros, remasters, and new colorways every week in order to execute their strategic plan to have supply ultimately meet demand while minimizing production costs.

Not to mention, public pressure (and perhaps government leaders as well) to have the brand produce enough pairs for everybody because every time a news report appears where stores are ransacked by unruly people in line on RD, or people getting robbed/killed because of jordans, Nike and JB's reputation takes a considerable hit and this can mean a potential loss in sales and marketability.

In sum, the so-called hype hasn't diminished one bit. The landscape is simply evolving and doing so on Nike's terms not ours. All we can do as consumers is facilitate the direction in which nike decides which way to take their product pricing when it comes to J's (i.e. resellers' influence). Just my opinion, of course. Didn't realize i damn near wrote a paper here. Lol

Yea and I read every word of it. It was a good read btw

I think there is confusion between perceived hype and actual profits. They are not hand in hand.
JB still generates plenty of profits and hype but the hype isn't there for every release while profits have been.

Last edited:
I think some ppl think JB only makes money off of retros, but they would be surprised how many of those other "jordans" they sell.... Flight 45 etc and their version of roshes... It's a reason why they keep making them because ppl actually buy them, when I'm out and about I see more of those than I see retros...

i never said sales were down. i actually said nike is still profiting so nike isn't really slumping at all. you said the JB retros are being pushed aside by lebrons and kobes which simply isn't the case. nike basketball's share in the market isn't something new like you are making it seem. its BEEN there. always has.

Sorry I guess I didn't understand the statement you made about Lebrons, KDs, and Kobes suffering.

The biggest factor is the mass proliferation of weekly retros and brand new colorways that have flooded the market but consequently has allowed consumers the luxury of having options and most importantly is now slowly creating the supply to meet the demand. Which is why, for example, Nike/JB saw no need to reproduce the moldy KO Breds anytime soon in spite of the well received hype. Because JB knew that its roster of upcoming releases would be more than enough to satisfy the needs and wants of consumers.

Additionally, the recent price point increases is all part of a master strategic plan designed to secure a new consumer demographic (new sneakerheads entering the game). JB knows that the old regime will be turned off by the new price hikes because we're accustomed to $150 not $200. However JB also knows that it can keep the old regime in check by constantly bringing out the best retros time and time again, week by week, and allowing the old regime to have buying options by making enough pairs to satisfy the demand. This in itself keeps us in the game as consumers despite the rising price points - no matter what we think or say, we are emotionally tied to the product and brand loyalty will never cease because we grew up rocking jordans. They capitalize on this notion big time. Ask yourself how many times have you said "I'm done with Jordans" but a couple months later you're doubling up on Chicago 1s and Cement 4s.

At the same time, "new" and younger generation jordan heads are introduced to the game and these cats have no choice but to accept the $180+ price point cause that's all they know.

And what if $190 MTM 7s or Statue 9s sit for months? Will Nike be hurting because of it? Of course not. Because Nike would have already profited from its sales at 190 a pop, and even if stores put them on sale at $150 plus tax after they've been sitting for months, JB would still eventually sell out all their "sitting stock" at the $150 price point, which is the price we all think they should've been in the first place. And whats funny is that we as consumers will think we are saving money or buying at a bargain if the price on statue 9s is lowered to 140 or 150, when all along we arent really saving because theyve conditioned us to believe that 190 is now the new "regular" price. Believe it or not, oil companies do this exact same type of price conditioning to us when they raise gas prices. They tease us with $2.50 a gallon for three weeks, raise it to $4.25 for a month, and when they lower it to $3.85, we begin to think gas prices are "low" when they shoulda been well below $3.00 the whole time.

So all along, JB still maximizes profit because guess what...JB's manufacturing costs either stay the same or go down, while the price they charge us continually goes up which, in turn, allows them to keep making more and more retros, remasters, and new colorways every week in order to execute their strategic plan to have supply ultimately meet demand while minimizing production costs.

Not to mention, public pressure (and perhaps government leaders as well) to have the brand produce enough pairs for everybody because every time a news report appears where stores are ransacked by unruly people in line on RD, or people getting robbed/killed because of jordans, Nike and JB's reputation takes a considerable hit and this can mean a potential loss in sales and marketability.

In sum, the so-called hype hasn't diminished one bit. The landscape is simply evolving and doing so on Nike's terms not ours. All we can do as consumers is facilitate the direction in which nike decides which way to take their product pricing when it comes to J's (i.e. resellers' influence). Just my opinion, of course. Didn't realize i damn near wrote a paper here. Lol

The price points being pushed up is a strategy Nike has stated multiple times in their annual reports and quarterly calls. This is how they increase their profit. This along with new tech (that commands higher prices), lower material and manufacturing costs, new manufacturing processes, and most importantly Nike's direct to consumer sales which are growing rapidly.
(And cutting out the small retailers).

The comparison to oil and what those companies are doing I would strongly disagree with. Oil is a globally traded commodity and a single company or even a few cant pick and choose to raise and lower prices. Even though it's be funny, I wouldn't want anyone reading your post to go to the Shell gas station to fill up after picking up a pair of retros and start comparing the price of gas to Nike's master plan.

Last edited:

Sorry I guess I didn't understand the statement you made about Lebrons, KDs, and Kobes suffering.

It's all good. I'm just saying people have been chilling on those too tho we both know Nike profits regardless. People have just not been as excited about them as before and been more willing to pay for the lower price.
Brons have been pricey for a min but kobes used to be around $130 instead of $200 and kds as recently as the 4 were $90 instead of $170.

The new tech argument is one thing. But we are talking about Retros with outdated tech being sold for the same price as Lebrons etc. granted I think 190 for shoes is over kill but I can understand why new tech can be sold for that price. Every pair of Retros I own feel terrible compared to lunarlon, real zoom air, etc. my infrared vis are probably the most uncomfortable pair of shoes I own period. The words Nike Air can't =$40.00 price increase.

The demand for Jordans depend on the model. Just like the old days, certain models fly, certain model get discounted deeply, but in the end they all sell. I'm glad it's more brands with more "hype" right now. I've been able to pick up past releases for $40+ under retail(150 or less) so to me and the enthusiast like me, it's a win win situation.

I've had most pairs of Jordans I have ever wanted at least 2x over, from originals to retros. I've been wearing these shoes since elementary school in the late 80s. At a point you get tired of buying the same shoe that is inferior to the original or even the first retros. I'm just retro'd out. I haven't been excited about owning a new model since the XX3 and XX8. They have seemed too busy chasing their own hype than being loyal to the Jordan legacy over the years, I've felt pushed aside to accommodate the new "gotta catch them all" crowd. I can't say that I'm done with Jordans, but I can only buy the same shoe so many times.
I'm similar to you. I've had a good amount of what I wanted over the years, and with certain ones you do get tired or don't need multiples. But there are certain models you wouldn't mind seeing released every couple of years, because you know, you actually like the shoe. The difference is the price point and quality. At this point, you know what it is in terms of quality, so you already have your mind made up on certain models. However, there are still some cws and models that you may have never gotten a chance to get due to whatever reason over the course of the years, whether the shoe sold out fast, limited quantities, not having the money etc. I've always felt that there should be a some sort of regular schedule with shoes being released so if you can't get a pair, you know when they will be available the next time around. People think  this is bad, but I don't. They will sell no matter what and the consumer base will be satisfied. JB is semi moving into that now (i.e Olympic 7's). I don't see why people get mad over a shoe being released several times in short periods of time. As far as the gotta catch em all group, they'll go away after a while.

The new tech argument is one thing. But we are talking about Retros with outdated tech being sold for the same price as Lebrons etc. granted I think 190 for shoes is over kill but I can understand why new tech can be sold for that price. Every pair of Retros I own feel terrible compared to lunarlon, real zoom air, etc. my infrared vis are probably the most uncomfortable pair of shoes I own period. The words Nike Air can't =$40.00 price increase.

The demand for Jordans depend on the model. Just like the old days, certain models fly, certain model get discounted deeply, but in the end they all sell. I'm glad it's more brands with more "hype" right now. I've been able to pick up past releases for $40+ under retail(150 or less) so to me and the enthusiast like me, it's a win win situation.

New technology is definitely not part of the older Jordan retros. Newer technology is what Nike reports as a reason for increased profits overall, across all product segments. The new tech applies to newer models, if/when they start retroing Lebrons years from now the same argument would be made in higher prices. Nike charges that because the market will absorb it.

I'm with you, if the models I want I can now get without issue, and/or get at under retail it benefits me.

Last edited:
I think there is confusion between perceived hype and actual profits. They are not hand in hand.
JB still generates plenty of profits and hype but the hype isn't there for every release while profits have been.

In some cases, yes, hype and profit do go hand in hand when your product base and offering is limited (i.e. ProActiv Acne Treatment and its word of mouth/marketing approach, Crooks & Castles' approach to brand marketing and using celebrities and social media to buils hype, and other streetwear brands).

In the case of Nike and other large brands with diversified product offerings, they don't need hype to continue making profits so you are absolutely correct there.

When we look at Nike's big picture, they generate a ton of revenue through apparel sales in other sports as well, which is why i believe Nike will always be in strong position to leverage their efforts in the various market segments in which they operate.

Jordan "hype" does little to sigificantly affect Nike's overall bottom line imo because the Air Jordan brand is nothing but a lifestyle segment and is no longer synonymous with performance. I havent looked up the numbers but i'm pretty sure Nike soccer and football apparel generates more revenue than jordan apparel.

Hype for retros has subsided for the moment, it'll be back in when the 4s, 3s, 12s, og color based 1s and 13s come back out 

In some cases, yes, hype and profit do go hand in hand when your product base and offering is limited (i.e. ProActiv Acne Treatment and its word of mouth/marketing approach, Crooks & Castles' approach to brand marketing and using celebrities and social media to buils hype, and other streetwear brands).

In the case of Nike and other large brands with diversified product offerings, they don't need hype to continue making profits so you are absolutely correct there.

When we look at Nike's big picture, they generate a ton of revenue through apparel sales in other sports as well, which is why i believe Nike will always be in strong position to leverage their efforts in the various market segments in which they operate.

Jordan "hype" does little to sigificantly affect Nike's overall bottom line imo because the Air Jordan brand is nothing but a lifestyle segment and is no longer synonymous with performance. I havent looked up the numbers but i'm pretty sure Nike soccer and football apparel generates more revenue than jordan apparel.

Wait... Weren't the 29s one of the highest rated performance basketball sneakers ever? Sneakerheads don't care for them but they were acclaimed for their on-court performance.

^^^ yup. The xx8 and xx9s get rave reviews on the court along with the recent Melos.

This.

They are gradually asking for more and more for outdated technology. What justifies the idea of paying $200 for shoes using tech from 2 decades ago and significantly less comfortable than the newer shoes today? Such a huge surge in price just sounds silly when clearly no part of that increase is going into R&D (yes I am aware of other increases such as duty and labor).

But at the same time Nike can't really touch/change the retros or everyone will start crying that they killed/ruined the model.

word? u know that for a fact? my boy was telling me his man bought thru some UA WHATS CRACCIN 3s and they accepted it because they looked good and passed inspection but they weren't 100% authentic.

A LOT OF THEIR MAIN FANS ARE GROWING UP TOO... IM 30 NOW... WAITED FOREVER FOR A LOT OF STUFF TO RELEASE AND SINCE IT HAS, ITS OVER NOW.. I HAVE SCHOOL LOANS AND OTHER CRAP TO WORRY ABOUT. SNEAKERS ARE NO LONGER THE PRIORITY

A LOT OF THEIR MAIN FANS ARE GROWING UP TOO... IM 30 NOW... WAITED FOREVER FOR A LOT OF STUFF TO RELEASE AND SINCE IT HAS, ITS OVER NOW.. I HAVE SCHOOL LOANS AND OTHER CRAP TO WORRY ABOUT. SNEAKERS ARE NO LONGER THE PRIORITY

This.

They are gradually asking for more and more for outdated technology. What justifies the idea of paying $200 for shoes using tech from 2 decades ago and significantly less comfortable than the newer shoes today? Such a huge surge in price just sounds silly when clearly no part of that increase is going into R&D (yes I am aware of other increases such as duty and labor).

But at the same time Nike can't really touch/change the retros or everyone will start crying that they killed/ruined the model.

QFT. I have pairs in my closet now that I still haven't in ds'd yet. Think the time has come to bow out and stick to runners

Back
Top Bottom