how to become a pe teacher?

i have a friend thats a pe teacher in lausd. not exactly sure what he studied in college but i know hes making somehwere in the range of 70k for a chill %@*job.

Originally Posted by CalvinJohnson

laugh.gif
real talk id be a teacher for free, highschool tho
pimp.gif
admit-it.jpg

I can speak for a couple of my friends who are PE teachers (or are about to be).. Human Kinetics major.. then Education degree.. bang..

Get a bachelor's degree in Physical Education/Health

I am a first year Math Teacher and my buddy is a first year PE teacher.

We also coach make $40K our first year, which isn't bad at all for our area. After tomorrow we will be off until next August its a good job. But itrequires effort and you have to continue your education. In KY you must receive a Master's Degree within 10 years but the salary increases annually and themasters is a big pay raise.

I just graduated with a Health and Exercise Science teaching degree, honestly man except for a few anatomy classes it wasn't bad at all.

Plus when you take actual gym class with a bunch of people who wanna be there it gets mad competitive and fun. Awesome job if you like teaching, but if youjust wanna roll the ball out and sit you are gonna get mad bored.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Just goes to show how ignorant some of you are. I know PE teachers making over 80k, some 100k. It all depends on the school district you're in.
You have to understand that most folks on NT are too young to know better. Plenty of cats on here are just graduating HS or are still in college.

One of my boys is a PE Teacher, and he loves it. He is on the Football coaching staff, he recieves a stipend for that. He just likes teaching kids footballfundamentals, and being a PE Teacher gives him a steady income.

He isn't struggling and he is happy.

Some dudes believe it is all about how many zero's your salary has even though your career will be a drag. Constantly staring at 3 walls (cubicle) andshowing up 9 to 5, hey, but you are getting paid.

I'm at a career crossroads right now, but I know I don't want the 9-5 lifestyle. I had a yearlong internship with ABC, the money was nice, but the jobwas mundane....blah
grin.gif

Just goes to show how ignorant some of you are. I know PE teachers making over 80k, some 100k. It all depends on the school district you're in.
80K SOME 100K!!
indifferent.gif

You can get PE teaching certification (required for teaching in public schools) a number of ways:

1) Bachelor in Physical Education (leading to certification).
2) Master's in Physical Education (leading to certification).
3) P.H.D in PE (you are given certification in the subject area just because you have a P.H.D).
4) If you are already certified in another subject (math, science), you can get a cross-endorsement, which is taking certain/required courses/credits in PE tosatisfy the new certification for PE. I got a cross-endorsement in health, after getting PE certification first.
5) Transcript review. The state department of education reviews any college courses and determines if you meet requirements for certification, and will tellyou what you else you need.
6) State-run programs (the ARC program in Conn for example). Usually for subjects other than PE, it involves 6-8 weeks of all day classes and seminars (usuallyduring the summer) that lead to certification.

I did a combo of 1,2,4, and 5 (long story). I am certified in NY and Connecticut for PE. I am only certified in NY for health at the moment, but I recentlyfinished a college course in group facilitation (required by the state) to get my health certification for CT (even though I already had my NY health cert.).Connecticut along with Cali, are the two most difficult states to get certified in as far as requirements. Teachers are paid the same regardless of subject, itdepends on your level of education and how long you've been teaching.

College courses include Anatomy and Physiology (learn every bone, muscle, ligament/tendon), human kinetics (how the body moves), teaching philosophy andprincipals, teaching methods, sport law, and sport specific classes (being taught how to teach the skills) such as soccer-volleyball-weight training,aerobics-dance-gymnastics.

Most school districts recommend the PE teacher to also have health certification, especially at the high school level. The college or university may suggestthis at the undergrad level as your minor. The two public high schools where I live are different. One has the PE teachers only teaching PE , and healthteachers only teaching health. The other high school (where I taught) had the PE teacher also teaching health classes. It varies from district to district.

Private schools are different, not all require certification in the subject area.

To the OP, what state are you trying to teach in? Check your state's department of education website and look for certification requirements.

Any other Q's, feel free to ask.

I got a cousin who's a P.E teacher now. Dude was a straight party animal in college though... so take that as an example

Damn what state are pe teachers making 80k-100k? I know damn well it's not NYC, all the pe teachers are broke as hell. 100k is the salary of a Principal orCustodian engineer.. I should know, my entire family works for the board of ed
laugh.gif

Well we know that isn't in California. Haha.

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Damn what state are pe teachers making 80k-100k? I know damn well it's not NYC, all the pe teachers are broke as hell. 100k is the salary of a Principal or Custodian engineer.. I should know, my entire family works for the board of ed
laugh.gif
It's all the extra's that go into making that 80k+ Teaching summers, staying late for extra activities etc..

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Well we know that isn't in California. Haha.

Seriously.
smh.gif
@ CA

Originally Posted by jzza4

You can get PE teaching certification (required for teaching in public schools) a number of ways:

1) Bachelor in Physical Education (leading to certification).
2) Master's in Physical Education (leading to certification).
3) P.H.D in PE (you are given certification in the subject area just because you have a P.H.D).
4) If you are already certified in another subject (math, science), you can get a cross-endorsement, which is taking certain/required courses/credits in PE to satisfy the new certification for PE. I got a cross-endorsement in health, after getting PE certification first.
5) Transcript review. The state department of education reviews any college courses and determines if you meet requirements for certification, and will tell you what you else you need.
6) State-run programs (the ARC program in Conn for example). Usually for subjects other than PE, it involves 6-8 weeks of all day classes and seminars (usually during the summer) that lead to certification.

I did a combo of 1,2,4, and 5 (long story). I am certified in NY and Connecticut for PE. I am only certified in NY for health at the moment, but I recently finished a college course in group facilitation (required by the state) to get my health certification for CT (even though I already had my NY health cert.). Connecticut along with Cali, are the two most difficult states to get certified in as far as requirements. Teachers are paid the same regardless of subject, it depends on your level of education and how long you've been teaching.

College courses include Anatomy and Physiology (learn every bone, muscle, ligament/tendon), human kinetics (how the body moves), teaching philosophy and principals, teaching methods, sport law, and sport specific classes (being taught how to teach the skills) such as soccer-volleyball-weight training, aerobics-dance-gymnastics.

Most school districts recommend the PE teacher to also have health certification, especially at the high school level. The college or university may suggest this at the undergrad level as your minor. The two public high schools where I live are different. One has the PE teachers only teaching PE , and health teachers only teaching health. The other high school (where I taught) had the PE teacher also teaching health classes. It varies from district to district.

Private schools are different, not all require certification in the subject area.

To the OP, what state are you trying to teach in? Check your state's department of education website and look for certification requirements.

Any other Q's, feel free to ask.
your the man bro, thanks for the great info! Im going to go with the Bachelor in Physical Education and then go from there. Im in washingtonstate, so now i gotta find a school that has physical education program. Are there any chemistry classes involve? Is it difficult to get a bachelor in PE? Do istart with any AA first in a comm. college? Or does has to be a specific AA transferable to a bachelor's of Physical education? sorry for the ******edquestions, lol i just dont know how to start.
happy.gif

Thanks for everyone else with the funny $!% replys.........
wink.gif

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

I can speak for a couple of my friends who are PE teachers (or are about to be).. Human Kinetics major.. then Education degree.. bang..

Is there a different way to become a pe teacher, please elaborate?

Originally Posted by MJUPNORTH

Originally Posted by Durden7

Serious answer:

A bachelors degree in Health/Phys Ed is the best way to go. It's a dual degree which will enable you to teach gym as well as health classes and substitute when you leave college.

The majority of my friends were H/PE majors in college and if your serious about it you had better truly love doing it. It's more schooling than you think it is for a job thats underpaid/easy.

This person knows what they are talking about. I am an elementary physical education teacher. BA in Physical Education, minor in health and my Masters in Education. As far as pay, every district and every state are different. With my Masters degree and 8 ears experience i'm only making around 50K a year. It's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. There are alot of science classes you need to take. For my BA degree, alot of pre-med students were also in my science classes. Good luck with your decision.
how many science classes do i need to take? I hate chemistry, its something that i never understand.
ohwell.gif

Even if you have the Human kinetics B.S. degree, you are still going to take classes/get licenses to satisfy the PE teaching specific requirements in order toteach in that state.

As far as chemistry classes and the like, it all depends on what the college/state requires you to take. I only needed the general biology and chemistry classas they were university required classes regardless fo your degree, other science classes fall under the realm of "PE science classes". My anatomyand physiology class was taken within the PE department. I didn't need the group facilitation class to teach health in NY, but needed it for Conn. Aredifferent drugs illegal between NY and CT? No, but that's what the state requires.

Yes, you can make $80-100K as a teacher (again, doesn't matter what subject area you teach), but that's through additional degrees, special licenses,and putting years in (as well as coaching or supervising clubs). Depends on the school district. Fairfield County ,CT and Westchester County, NY are 2 ofthe top paying districts in the tri-state area. When I switched schools 2 years ago, I received a nearly $10K salary increase. Teacher pay usually goes by thetax rate of the town/city. I pay about $150 in car taxes every year to the state of CT. $90 of that goes to the board of education budget.

I have been teaching with a Master's degree for 6th years, making over $60K. Now add to the fact my Master's adds $2-5K every year to my salary and Ialso receive a $2-5K raise every year. Receiving my 6th year degree (to be a administrator or guidance counselor) will add another $5K yearly. Add that upover the years = cake for teaching sports and games (and a little health)!

Back
Top Bottom