I truely hate accounting...vol. HOW THE HELL??

ya know, while taking entry level and intermediate accounting classes are important for building a knowledge base, seems like i've taken more out of bothtax and audit classes, and i just started the classes a month ago. if you're going for public accounting, you'll be doing one of those...just seemslike i'm learning more that i will retain.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

ya know, while taking entry level and intermediate accounting classes are important for building a knowledge base, seems like i've taken more out of both tax and audit classes, and i just started the classes a month ago. if you're going for public accounting, you'll be doing one of those...just seems like i'm learning more that i will retain.

You doing 5 year or 4 year program??? I can't wait to take audit even though I have to take it in the spring of my senior year with the hardest professoron campus. I'm taking corporate taxation and tax is really fun but alot of rules to remember

Originally Posted by mjbetch

Originally Posted by chris steez

Originally Posted by RUTHE1

I got my first exam on tuesday. I'm about to study up, basically the intro from what I grasp is Assets=Liabilities+Owners Equity. Debits right side, Credits left side. Journal Entries, T accounts, ledgers, and accruals and deferrals.
this is EXACTLY what the test was on...and i was killing every question, walked out thinking i got atleast a 90
WHAT?! my proff is saying that DEBIT on the LEFT side... and CREDIT on the RIGHT side.. doesn't make that much of a difference does it tho?

and OP, which community college are you at? cuz i'm at one too haha. same exact boat as you.
^^ YOU are correct. It's debits on the left, debits on the right. It does make a difference and y'all need to step up your accountinggame...pm me with question if you want. Happy to help fellow NTers. I'm a senior in accy at U of I (Champaign-Urbana)

perfect time for this thread to show up. first financial acct midterm coming up on tuesday. good looks on that dealor thing if i ever need it

To my freshmen, especially the engineers: Don't be fooled by open book. Hell, pray your test is just a cheat sheet test. The more resources your professorlets you have at your disposal, the harder the exam will be. I got an electrical engineering friend at UT who took an OPENEVERYTHING test. Dude's brought multiple text books, a laptop, class notes and the class average was still a 45/100
eek.gif

Engineering is the only group of majors where you hear dudes excited to get 60s on exams because that $$*! is getting curved to an A
pimp.gif

you got dudes changing their majors because they can't deal with accounting. I just took the same exact test as some of you and made a C. Smh. And itdoesn't get any easier.

Ahhhh accounting..

I failed my first time (first-year accounting) - passed it second with a B. Was soooo proud of that since it was a mandatory paper.

Originally Posted by JCASH DA KID

ya know, while taking entry level and intermediate accounting classes are important for building a knowledge base, seems like i've taken more out of both tax and audit classes, and i just started the classes a month ago. if you're going for public accounting, you'll be doing one of those...just seems like i'm learning more that i will retain.

You doing 5 year or 4 year program??? I can't wait to take audit even though I have to take it in the spring of my senior year with the hardest professor on campus. I'm taking corporate taxation and tax is really fun but alot of rules to remember

i actually switched to a finance major. i just can't really see myself doing accounting for the rest of my life. i might pick up a degree in accountinganyway, since there is so much overlay in the 2 programs. tax is actually pretty decent...best accounting class i've taken thus far.

Originally Posted by mr5dollarfootlong

if you having trouble grasping the basic stuff, it's time to work harder or consider switching major
I'll go with work harder, my major isn't accounting...its business admin.

You doing 5 year or 4 year program??? I can't wait to take audit even though I have to take it in the spring of my senior year with the hardest professor on campus. I'm taking corporate taxation and tax is really fun but alot of rules to remember

i actually switched to a finance major. i just can't really see myself doing accounting for the rest of my life. i might pick up a degree in accounting anyway, since there is so much overlay in the 2 programs. tax is actually pretty decent...best accounting class i've taken thus far.
How are your tax exams??

In my tax 1 and tax 2 classes we had the same professor...He would give us a in class MC test open book....Then he would give us a take home part over theweekend....I never wanted to quit accounting more then when i had those tests...It was like 4 word problems he made up and we had to research everything andwrite letters to the clients in the problems.....For the Tax 1 final no lie one problem was 3 pages front and back of information... It literally took me atotal of about 17 hours to do all the research figure everything out and write the letters.....So we had to figure out the amount due or refunded for thefamily....The day we had to turn it it, no one got the same number and it ranged from them owing $24,500 - them getting a refund of $16,000....everyone was
roll.gif
roll.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
mad.gif

I don't know if it was just me, but my 2 accounting classes as a breeze. 1st was an easy A with minimal studying. 2nd should of been an A but professordropped it to a B or B+ cause i decided not to show up for the last week which was all review.

I was thinking of switching from my business major to accounting cause of how easy i grasped it.. but an accountant is just a BORING +@! job and too mundane.

Community Colleges are great. I hate people who try to act holier than thou because they attend some big name University. A degree is a degree. You have to dothe reading though it helps so much in college.

Originally Posted by jrp44

i actually switched to a finance major. i just can't really see myself doing accounting for the rest of my life. i might pick up a degree in accounting anyway, since there is so much overlay in the 2 programs. tax is actually pretty decent...best accounting class i've taken thus far.
How are your tax exams??

In my tax 1 and tax 2 classes we had the same professor...He would give us a in class MC test open book....Then he would give us a take home part over the weekend....I never wanted to quit accounting more then when i had those tests...It was like 4 word problems he made up and we had to research everything and write letters to the clients in the problems.....For the Tax 1 final no lie one problem was 3 pages front and back of information... It literally took me a total of about 17 hours to do all the research figure everything out and write the letters.....So we had to figure out the amount due or refunded for the family....The day we had to turn it it, no one got the same number and it ranged from them owing $24,500 - them getting a refund of $16,000....everyone was
roll.gif
roll.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
mad.gif

I like I'm getting my Masters in Tax. I've taken indivdual and I got an A- right now I'm taking Corporate and hopefully can pull out an A

Originally Posted by jrp44

Damn I wish I was back in the intro level days....you guys think that stuff is hard
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If you guys had to take Advanced accounting
smh.gif
sick.gif

Deadset, Trill, Lazy know what I'm taking about.

Son I'm taking advanced accounting now. Grad level. Business Consolidations and combinations. MIND=BLOWN. Equity Method, Translation, Remeasurement and Hedging. FML test on tuesday.

That sucks. Fin46(R) and now SFAS 167 for the loss.

Consolidations can eat me.

Business combinations too.

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Community Colleges are great. I hate people who try to act holier than thou because they attend some big name University. A degree is a degree. You have to do the reading though it helps so much in college.
Try again. You can't get your Bachelor's degree in a CC. An AA is not the same as a BA or BS.

to OP - Just study more next time and I'm sure you'll get it. As much as its a pain in the %!#, basic accounting knowledge will help you in thefuture. Trust. I got my degree in Business Admin like you're goin for, but didn't really have any issues with accounting myself (aside from the factthat its tedious and boring). That being said I do regret not paying attention more and retaining more of the info, cause in my current gig I do a ton ofbasic level accounting for my company which sucks. Good luck.

Got a B in this joint...cheated my way through it though....Accounting sucks...defnintely FTL!!

Skills you learn in accounting classes help you for the rest of your life. Everything from balancing your checkbook(bank reconciliation) to understanding howthey calculate the interest you pay on your mortgage(Amortization).

OP strive a little harder man... the stuff you are learning now is basic knowledge any business savvy person should know.

open book = harder test, usually when its open book the stuff in the book doesn't help 100%

Got an A- in my financial accounting class. It was type easy. I'm taking Managerial accounting now which seems a little harder.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

word...thats why i switched my major

Me too. I remember getting up in the middle of my cost accounting midterm and just going straight to the faculty office and handing in my papers to switch tofinance.

Back
Top Bottom