Jay Z says 'My presence is charity', compares self to Obama in response to Harry Belafonte's critici

^ they're not tryna hear that, shoelyesses.

They need to feel like they're above people, and are better, smarter, deeper, and take more responsibility for the Black community than Jay Z.

I wake up to read a few posts, and I see dudes are trying to minimize the efforts of King in comparison with Jay.

King didn't do much in terms of action, are you serious? Then you say the youth can easily identify with Jay more so than actual activists who are recorded in history as doing something that transcends materialism. You're trying to minimize the efforts and struggle of the same activists who were instrumental in the passage of civil rights laws? 

No wonder the majority of the youth is still ****** up, and you have dudes like ninja pulling out statistics in every other thread about the dire straits of African Americans. 

Look who we place on a pedestal as being the voice of the people?

I mentioned this to my mom earlier, and she was disgusted that anyone would be comparing Jay Z to MLK or even Malcolm for that matter. You can say it's a generational gap, but statistically we are still in the same rut as in the 60's up until the present day, and if Jay is as influential as MLK or Malcolm as some say, why isn't he shedding light on the situation other than showing his love for the art world, or shouting out fashion designers who are so far removed from the plight that most who listen to the music are still going through? 

The art world man? Come on. Dudes in the hood don't give a **** about art galleries. But I bet you'll say Jay inspires people to get into art, but check out the going rate for one of those art pieces, or better yet what does it have to do with unemployment, or trying to rectify the issues that still cripple minorities as whole?

If you're a billionaire you should bring more attention to social issues, and set up foundations that help the cause for improvement. That's how you become etched in history. 

You know why Bill Gates, and a host of other white millionaires and billionaires don't lend a voice to social issues? Because there are plenty of other white people who are out there doing just as well, and if anything, it's mostly white people who come to the aid for blacks in times of duress, similar to Sean Penn or Brad Pitt during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. You rarely see black celebrities doing anything like that. Collectively, whites are not going through the same issues as the black community. But best believe the philanthropic efforts of the Gates foundation or other wealthy white celebrities far outshines that of Jay Z and Beyonce. 

People say look where he came from, but what route did he take to get where he's at today? Yeah, the youth can cling on to that hope all they want, but you can see the music industry is not the same as it was in 96 when Jay came into the game. He's a leech like Jordan, and that's why I stopped buying Jordans. No way can I justify spending 160+ for crap quality sneakers which are targeted at the black community.

Things are changing, and as much as dudes complain about the business aspect ruining hip hop, the guy who says his presence is charity is largely responsible for that shift. 

I cringed watching the video for Picasso Baby...
laugh.gif

Ya'll can have that. 

Last edited:
Lol.

You guys realize you can give to charity without having your name attached to it, right? In fact, some people say that's the most genuine form of charity.

Get off Jay's jock man. That quote was taken out of context. The man even prefaced it by saying: "I know this is going to sound arrogant." Why not ask the same question to athletes who are making 10s of million dollars? Why not ask the same of prominent African-American actors? Why is it Jay-Z and his wife who should do more for the black community? Jay was 100% right in calling Harry's comments grandstanding.

If you can't respect that, your whole perspective is wack.

Well I'll wait for the next thread when Denzel or Will Smith say their presence alone is charity

Gilahone pretty much shut it down. Speaks volumes when cats on here are justifying their adoration and idolization of a man who calls himself god, didn't realize the B word was offensive to women until he had a daughter, pushed death among the people in his community and called one of the forefathers of the civil rights movement a boy.
LOL @ the notion that preachers are doing this, and if they are that they're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. Everyone knows preachers, especially those that cater to poor black people are pimps.
I guess this guy is a pimp

Last edited:
Damn Jay-z is helping you get through school, I thought he only inspired crack dealers?
If that's the case who inspired Jay Z? Who inspired Freeway Ricky, Big Meech.... hear them tell it crack dealing started and was inspired by rappers lyrics... and the government, poverty, institutional slavery, the end of the industrial revolution, government assistance programs, the agenda to separate and remove the AA male from the home, price inflation, amongst many other factors have no bearings what so ever.

Frank Lucas became a drug kingpin because of some rappers lyrics...lol, kids say the darnest things. Oh wait rap wasn't even around then... so who was it, the isley brothers...... al green, james brown perhaps.

Gilahone pretty much shut it down. Speaks volumes when cats on here are justifying their adoration and idolization of a man who calls himself god, didn't realize the B word was offensive to women until he had a daughter, pushed death among the people in his community and called one of the forefathers of the civil rights movement a boy.

I guess this guy is a pimp
I have no idea who that is. Dude posted the picture like I'm supposed to recognize him. I don't watch the christian television on my spare time. The Church has been exploitative of the poor, hopeless and desperate since its inception. Let's stop acting like it's a secret.

PS. Gillahone didn't shut anything down. He chose Bill Gates, who I admire bdw to make a comparison to Jay-z ignoring the other white millionaires and business owners who exploit others for their own personal gain and wouldn't give 2 cents to a motherless infant.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in this thread is saying Jay Z > MLK.

At least what im saying is, we are in a new time, and are building a new set of black leaders. Jay Z is one of them, and deserves to be, and then I provided a bunch of material evidence supporting my claim.

People are so damn sensitive :lol:

Tell me , how does this effect your everyday life?

Last edited:
It keyword WAS...it was a clever and decisive move to galvanize AA to push agendas and make changes in their neighborhoods, their communities and ultimately for AA in the nation at large.

But your right I forgot about the national fight against black on black crime movement lead by Creflo Dollar. I must have missed the new million man march movement headed by TD Jakes. Dale Bonner (who I know and respect as a person) is leading the charge against gun violence.

Hows that movement to curb all the black on black crime in the DMV by Bishop Mckenzie going...? Oh that's right none of these things are happening.

But I guess they are doing good considering they are doing charitable work, to which they get government kick backs aka paid by having a 501c3. And half of the goods and services cost them nothing because the workers are volunteers (aka free labor) and the goods are provided by suckers (oops I meant wise church going) ppl of the community.

Well said. Some do, but a lot don't. Some of these preachers get thousands to go every Sunday, but how many are getting them to go out in the communities? How many of the tithes are going the building fund versus helping the communities? How much of the out reach goes beyond the church walls? A lot of these preachers once they leave that church, they go back to the suburbs and it's out of site, and out of mind.

I wake up to read a few posts, and I see dudes are trying to minimize the efforts of King in comparison with Jay.

King didn't do much in terms of action, are you serious? Then you say the youth can easily identify with Jay more so than actual activists who are recorded in history as doing something that transcends materialism. You're trying to minimize the efforts and struggle of the same activists who were instrumental in the passage of civil rights laws? 

No wonder the majority of the youth is still ****** up, and you have dudes like ninja pulling out statistics in every other thread about the dire straits of African Americans. 

Look who we place on a pedestal as being the voice of the people?

I mentioned this to my mom earlier, and she was disgusted that anyone would be comparing Jay Z to MLK or even Malcolm for that matter. You can say it's a generational gap, but statistically we are still in the same rut as in the 60's up until the present day, and if Jay is as influential as MLK or Malcolm as some say, why isn't he shedding light on the situation other than showing his love for the art world, or shouting out fashion designers who are so far removed from the plight that most who listen to the music are still going through? 

The art world man? Come on. Dudes in the hood don't give a **** about art galleries. But I bet you'll say Jay inspires people to get into art, but check out the going rate for one of those art pieces, or better yet what does it have to do with unemployment, or trying to rectify the issues that still cripple minorities as whole?

If you're a billionaire you should bring more attention to social issues, and set up foundations that help the cause for improvement. That's how you become etched in history. 

You know why Bill Gates, and a host of other white millionaires and billionaires don't lend a voice to social issues? Because there are plenty of other white people who are out there doing just as well, and if anything, it's mostly white people who come to the aid for blacks in times of duress, similar to Sean Penn or Brad Pitt during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. You rarely see black celebrities doing anything like that. Collectively, whites are not going through the same issues as the black community. But best believe the philanthropic efforts of the Gates foundation or other wealthy white celebrities far outshines that of Jay Z and Beyonce. 

People say look where he came from, but what route did he take to get where he's at today? Yeah, the youth can cling on to that hope all they want, but you can see the music industry is not the same as it was in 96 when Jay came into the game. He's a leech like Jordan, and that's why I stopped buying Jordans. No way can I justify spending 160+ for crap quality sneakers which are targeted at the black community.

Things are changing, and as much as dudes complain about the business aspect ruining hip hop, the guy who says his presence is charity is largely responsible for that shift. 

I cringed watching the video for Picasso Baby...
laugh.gif

Ya'll can have that. 

Beyonce has a shelter for women of domestic violence/cosmetology school in BK. Jay-Z and Beyonce do certain stuff, just maybe physically. It's really no different than Bill Gates.

And Sean Penn and Bratt Pitt/Angelina Jolie aren't the norm.

And Dr King has been downgraded for decades. It started with Malcolm X, when foolishly we pit them against each other like we were picking Jay-Z or Nas. Dr King wasn't the "cool" thing. So now a lot of young kids don't research him and learn more than Selma, I Have A Dream Speech or March On Washington.

Last edited:
I have no idea who that is. Dude posted the picture like I'm supposed to recognize him. I don't watch the christian television on my spare time. The Church has been exploitative of the poor, hopeless and desperate since its inception. Let's stop acting like it's a secret.

PS. Gillahone didn't shut anything down. He chose Bill Gates, who I admire bdw to make a comparison to Jay-z ignoring the other white millionaires and business owners who exploit others for their own personal gain and wouldn't give 2 cents to a motherless infant.
That's Jay z for you. We expect more from a dude that came from the same conditions that so many are still stuck in today.

Last edited:
Jay Z has a college scholarship.

He also has built water towers and attempted to improve the issue of drinkable water in Africa.

At this point in the thread there are so many ciders and articles and song lyrics by and about Jay Z that refute every point y'all wanna make about him.

That's Michael Pflegler of Chicago who's talking and doing more about the inner city violence more than any Chicago rapper or politician. He's not on Christian television. He's been recognized globally for his efforts. I don't go to church and have never stepped foot in one sans for a graduation so don't mistake me for some religious dude. I'm just aware of current events outside of my city.

That's Michael Pflegler of Chicago who's talking and doing more about the inner city violence more than any Chicago rapper or politician. He's not on Christian television. He's been recognized globally for his efforts. I don't go to church and have never stepped foot in one sans for a graduation so don't mistake me for some religious dude. I'm just aware of current events outside of my city.

Good for him.....I'm sure they aren't all crooks.

Well said. Some do, but a lot don't. Some of these preachers get thousands to go every Sunday, but how many are getting them to go out in the communities? How many of the tithes are going the building fund versus helping the communities? How much of the out reach goes beyond the church walls? A lot of these preachers once they leave that church, they go back to the suburbs and it's out of site, and out of mind.
Beyonce has a shelter for women of domestic violence/cosmetology school in BK. Jay-Z and Beyonce do certain stuff, just maybe physically. It's really no different than Bill Gates.

And Sean Penn and Bratt Pitt/Angelina Jolie aren't the norm.

And Dr King has been downgraded for decades. It started with Malcolm X, when foolishly we pit them against each other like we were picking Jay-Z or Nas. Dr King wasn't the "cool" thing. So now a lot of young kids don't research him and learn more than Selma, I Have A Dream Speech or March On Washington.
And I wasn't even going to go there, but many blacks (especially middle/middle upper class AA) actually felt and viewed MLK/Martin the same way yall are viewing and seeing Jay Z. Many felt like his voice/movement and message was going to "ruffle feathers" and crash the waves for those AA who were so called "accepted" and in false good graces with whites in large.

They felt that associating and backing them, and supporting their words movements etc... would cause whites to quit patting them on the head, telling them their doing a good job and occasionally throwing them a treat for being such a good pet negro.

Like as wise person told me the more things change, the more they remain the same.

And I wasn't even going to go there, but many blacks (especially middle/middle upper class AA) actually felt and viewed MLK/Martin the same way yall are viewing and seeing Jay Z. Many felt like his voice/movement and message was going to "ruffle feathers" and crash the waves for those AA who were so called "accepted" and in false good graces with whites in large.

They felt that associating and backing them, and supporting their words movements etc... would cause whites to quit patting them on the head, telling them their doing a good job and occasionally throwing them a treat for being such a good pet negro.

Like as wise person told me the more things change, the more they remain the same.
But they were doing it to unsettle the establishment. To combat racism, segregation, etc.

What is Jay doing to ruffle the feathers of the establishment? 

But they were doing it to unsettle the establishment. To combat racism, segregation, etc.

What is Jay doing to ruffle the feathers of the establishment? 

Maybe existing as an ex-drug dealer who rose through an art form that was based on Black culture to become worth half a billion dollars while being a driving force in getting the establishment's white children to accept rap culture and larger black culture as the dominant youth culture in the US? All while marrying the most beloved and establishment accepted black performer of this era? And then venturing into other fields, like athlete representation, and the high art world, where the Black community is thought of as not able to produce movers and shakers? All while inspiring young Black men to believe that they too can do all these things?

Maybe existing as an ex-drug dealer who rose through an art form that was based on Black culture to become worth half a billion dollars while being a driving force in getting the establishment's white children to accept rap culture and larger black culture as the dominant youth culture in the US? All while marrying the most beloved and establishment accepted black performer of this era? And then venturing into other fields, like athlete representation, and the high art world, where the Black community is thought of as not able to produce movers and shakers? All while inspiring young Black men to believe that they too can do all these things?
I think some people take issue with how he got there initially.

If he would of have acquired all his wealth legally without destroying his hood, destroying families, or the likes, then maybe some people would look at him differently.

Still - his presences is no freaking charity!

If he would of have acquired all his wealth legally without destroying his hood, destroying families, or the likes, then maybe some people would look at him differently.

LOL wait are people insinuating that Jay-z couldn't have rapped without selling drugs? I'm confused as to what the argument here is. He sold drugs, the drugs aren't the reason why he's wealthy. After-all 99.9 percent of rappers, rap about selling crack. Jay-z is this wealthy because he's a smart boy. Jay-z is not Pablo Escobar.

Last edited:

The issue with how he got there initially is moot.

Like I said before, him taking that route is actually the American way. It's how all the great American families were established.

His presence, to me, does a lot to show young Black men that they can control, change, and infinitely improve their circumstances.

We just have to agree to disagree on this one.

For the record, I'm not hating on Jay man, the comparisons being made are just absurd that's all. And his comment about charity was asinine.

I don't see Jay like you all see him. 

And charity should be far reaching if you're bread is that long, and what is the real, measurable effect of his charity?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom