Just got my first credit card i need tips/advice

finally got a CC .  its Capital one with Zero interest until April 2011.
Need Tips/advice on what to NOT to do.

finally got a CC .  its Capital one with Zero interest until April 2011.
Need Tips/advice on what to NOT to do.

try not to carry a balance. Putting stuff on the card and paying it off right away will boost your credit rating. Even if it's just small stuff. And if you need to carry a balance, always pay more than the minimum.

try not to carry a balance. Putting stuff on the card and paying it off right away will boost your credit rating. Even if it's just small stuff. And if you need to carry a balance, always pay more than the minimum.

0 Interest 'til April 2011?

You should start spending now.

Tips/advice: Buy things only above $99

0 Interest 'til April 2011?

You should start spending now.

Tips/advice: Buy things only above $99

I would recommend not carrying a credit card due prior awful experiences. If you are going to carry a card, you will need to make MORE THAN YOUR MINIMUM PAYMENT EVERY MONTH. What I would recommend is carrying around a debit card and living life by the phrase, "If I don't have the money to pay this off now, I should not be buying it".

I would recommend not carrying a credit card due prior awful experiences. If you are going to carry a card, you will need to make MORE THAN YOUR MINIMUM PAYMENT EVERY MONTH. What I would recommend is carrying around a debit card and living life by the phrase, "If I don't have the money to pay this off now, I should not be buying it".

Cut it up and throw it away before you memorize the number.
Your bank account will thank you.

Cut it up and throw it away before you memorize the number.
Your bank account will thank you.

im debating if ima keep it or wait until i am done with school.
i make a decent living now. but no credit just paying off the car.

im debating if ima keep it or wait until i am done with school.
i make a decent living now. but no credit just paying off the car.

Having a credit card doesn't mean you have any more money than you did yesterday.  Simplest advice?  Don't spend what you don't already have.  Unless you have a need for the card (i.e. you don't want to roll with a couple thousand in your pocket to make a significant purchase), stick to cash and leave the card at home.  Too many people get in trouble way too easily with plastic. 

Having a credit card doesn't mean you have any more money than you did yesterday.  Simplest advice?  Don't spend what you don't already have.  Unless you have a need for the card (i.e. you don't want to roll with a couple thousand in your pocket to make a significant purchase), stick to cash and leave the card at home.  Too many people get in trouble way too easily with plastic. 

Back
Top Bottom