Macbook Pro Virus Problem

So Time Warner shut my internet down saying that one of my computers on my network had a virus (bancos). The only computer I really use is the MBP. I stopped using it and they said that it was definitely that one and now i have my internet back. They claim that in rare cases the MBP can get this virus .Can anyone point me in the right direction so i can remove this virus from the MBP? thanks

but macs dont get viruses 
eyes.gif

They just hating. Macs don't get viruses

BTW Ive never heard of a ISP shutting down internet bc of a computer virus

they're full of it

same thing happened to me in canada, and i only had macs in my house.

i was with Rogers, so i told them to shove it up their *@$ and moved to another provider. been with them since 2006 and not once have they called me to say there's a virus.

Bancos is a Win32 virus. While there are malicious things on the internet that affect Macs, the Bancos virus is not one of them. The only way that the virus would be on your system is if you have a Windows partition, or if you are being redirected via DNS to websites that are infected with the Bancos virus and somehow making Time Warner think you have it.

You should call complaining, ask for an explanation, and demand that they reimburse you for falsely accusing you of endangering their network.

i've always heard that if you get a virus on a mac that it's pretty much a rap for your mac

Some of ya'll are just ridiculous...

Mac's can get virus', it's just hackers generally try to create a virus that will cause the most havoc in corporations and end consumers. The majority of the world being on Windows, it makes sense why hackers would write a virus that attacks windows.

There are virus' that have been written to crash Mac's don't get it twisted.

Hi. Mac user here. Previously PC guy, and can still write commands in both DOS and Terminal.

eiddyfouw is right on the money.

eiddyfouw wrote:

Mac's can get virus', it's just hackers generally try to create a virus that will cause the most havoc in corporations and end consumers. The majority of the world being on Windows, it makes sense why hackers would write a virus that attacks windows. 

I don't care if you're running Linux— there's no reason to not have virus protection. 

For Windows, AVG is free and a well built system that no longer eats your RAM like it used to.

For Mac, I'm running Sophos and ClamXav. 

Haven't had a virus yet, but Sophos picks up the e-mails from my spam folder that contain threats and cleans them up. All those .zip files as attachments in the e-mails contain scripts written for PC, so I open them to look at the script and it does nothing. But there's always a chance that one day it's gonna be a Mac virus, and I'm protected.

Originally Posted by dapurplengold213

my mac was working fine so i was surprised when they said that it was the mac :/
Back when computers were less common, you would expect a computer to run poorly from a virus or even get wiped.
Viruses are built differently now. With all the information we put out on the internet, most viruses these days sit deep in your Temp files and collect data such as groupings of numbers (looking for 16 consecutive digits— credit cards), key strokes, etc. and then it just transmits all that happy data right back. 

If you had a virus that would wipe your computer, Time Warner isn't going to be concerned. I can guarantee you their servers aren't the least bit threatened by the same viruses built for home computers.

They're concerned about viruses that steal information.

Originally Posted by Yeah

Bancos is a Win32 virus. While there are malicious things on the internet that affect Macs, the Bancos virus is not one of them. The only way that the virus would be on your system is if you have a Windows partition, or if you are being redirected via DNS to websites that are infected with the Bancos virus and somehow making Time Warner think you have it.

You should call complaining, ask for an explanation, and demand that they reimburse you for falsely accusing you of endangering their network.

This. This. and This.

Yes Macs can get virus', but if Time Warner called this specific one out, that it not a Mac virus. Either you have a Windows partition or VM box, or you downloaded a file that is known to have that virus and thats what triggered Time Warner. If its the latter, it doesnt matter if you download 500 Windows virus', they can't run on a Mac.

yeah they told me it was a virus that generally runs on windows and that it is an information stealing virus. All they told me was to take my mac to the apple store so they could check it :/ i guess ill most likely wipe it clean then..

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Hi. Mac user here. Previously PC guy, and can still write commands in both DOS and Terminal.

eiddyfouw is right on the money.

eiddyfouw wrote:

I don't care if you're running Linux— there's no reason to not have virus protection. 

For Mac, I'm running Sophos and ClamXav.

That might not be the best choice. Sophos' processes run with root privileges (unnecessarily so,) making it vulnerable in various ways. http://forums.macrumors.c...1570070&postcount=31

Back
Top Bottom