McDonald's drops Egg Supplier over Animal Cruelty video

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

Shouldn't be eating this garbage anyway.
Agreed.
I have been skimming this thread, and I agree with DC on most accounts.

I know this is an absurd argument, but hear me out - imagine if there was another species in space, and they decided they wanted to inherit and take over the Earth.  They are smarter, bigger, faster and stronger than humans.

What if one of those aliens melted your lips together so you couldn't talk, put you in a small crate while they fattened you up, and once you were so fat that your legs couldn't even hold your own weight, they brought you in on a line and chopped you up so that you bleed out.

Does that sound like a good life?  This is essentially what we are doing to animals.

I'm a vegan, but if people want to eat meat, that's perfectly fine with me.  To each their own.  But there is a big difference between torturing these animals vs. giving them a good life and then using them for food.

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

They could waterboard them chickens for all I care, as long as they got egg mcmuffins 2 for 3 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

I don't know what's sadder, that people condone this type of behavior, or the fat Americans that eat this garbage day in and day out.

Originally Posted by JCH3

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

Shouldn't be eating this garbage anyway.
Agreed.
I have been skimming this thread, and I agree with DC on most accounts.

I know this is an absurd argument, but hear me out - imagine if there was another species in space, and they decided they wanted to inherit and take over the Earth.  They are smarter, bigger, faster and stronger than humans.

What if one of those aliens melted your lips together so you couldn't talk, put you in a small crate while they fattened you up, and once you were so fat that your legs couldn't even hold your own weight, they brought you in on a line and chopped you up so that you bleed out.

Does that sound like a good life?  This is essentially what we are doing to animals.

I'm a vegan, but if people want to eat meat, that's perfectly fine with me.  To each their own.  But there is a big difference between torturing these animals vs. giving them a good life and then using them for food.

No it does not, but if that happened I would admit they are smarter than humans and give them the top spot on the food chain. Of course, I would have to write it down

Originally Posted by Luong1209

mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Disgusting.

and dudes like 100PROOF are the idiots who do this stuff.  What kind of mentality is that?  They dont care. man animal cruelty gets me heated
mad.gif

Condoning fast food seems ideal for the typical american, especially mc'donalds. I eat fast food regularly, but reading this diverges my decision in the future.

damn, i swear some of you guys are ridiculously ignorant and egocentric.
please pick up a bio book and learn something before talking
i just hope you guys are young, because hopefully you'll learn/change as you grow up

This argument reminds me of the latest cracked article that came out today

http://www.cracked.com/ar...r-memories-than-you.html

Spoiler [+]
We tend to think of ourselves as the smartest animals on earth. After all, we've built such technological wonders as the Internet, the internal combustion engine and sneakers that light up when you take a step. But despite our big, juicy frontal lobe, many of us still forget to pick up the kids after practice due to our inferior memory, one area where a whole bunch of animals leave us in the dust. For instance ...
#6. Chimpanzees' Visual Memory Can Top Yours

Try this quick test:

Glance at the image below for two seconds only. Don't cheat. Then cover it with your hand and remember exactly where each digit was, in order.

DON'T GET DISTRACTED! $$%%! BALLS! HITLER!

Can't do it? Congratulations, you just got your %!+ handed to you by a chimp.

In a Kyoto University study, a bunch of chimps were taught to count from one to nine, which is impressive enough already, but then each of the subjects was shown some randomly scattered numbers on a computer screen. The numbers were then covered and the subjects were required to identify the position of each number in order (putting us at Cracked at a distinct disadvantage due to our crippling inability to list numbers in any order but descending).

How did they do? Startlingly well, as the quite frankly insane video proves:

Scientists attribute this impressive display of working memory to "eidetic imagery," or what is commonly known as photographic memory. You've probably heard that term in reference to people who remember every little thing that's ever happened to them, but in this case it just means the chimps seem to have a really good visual memory -- they can remember details of an image even if they just glimpsed it for a couple of seconds.

Getty
"I swear to God, man, I thought that stall was unoccupied."

And more amazingly, their performance did not decrease when the time spent looking at the image was shortened -- the chimps were memorizing all of the numbers almost instantaneously. Meanwhile, human subjects who were given the same test exhibited a steep decline in performance with the decrease in memorization time, an infraction that no doubt earned them a severe beating from their chimp overlords.
#5. Sea Lions Never Forget

Quick, what is your most lucid memory from exactly 10 years ago? Let's rephrase that -- what is your most lucid memory unrelated to that whole twin towers thing? Do you think you could remember the details of a card trick your uncle taught you, assuming you never saw or performed that card trick again between then and now? If not, then you just got outdone by a sea lion.

"That's your card. #+#!%+$ idiot."

Categorized by scientists as the cutest kind of lion, the sea lion is usually thought of as a lovable attention @!!%$ that will do just about anything for a couple of raw fish. But while trainers have spent years teaching sea lions cheap parlor tricks, they have also discovered that these creatures have an amazing long-term memory, which will be exploited in order to teach them more cheap parlor tricks.

Lars K. Jensen
Sea lions: @!+##@ of the ocean.

Scientists at the University of California, Santa Cruz were able to teach a sea lion named Rio the concept of "sameness" by showing Rio a symbol and then showing her one card with the same symbol and one with a different one. If she correctly identified the same symbol, she was rewarded with a fish, which she would eat with all the tear-filled shame you would expect from a sea lion that's given up her last shred of dignity. This level of advanced cognitive functioning is impressive in itself, but Rio's biggest feat would come a decade later.

Getty
Her name is Rio and she flops across the sand ...

After 10 freaking years, Rio was given a similar test, only this time it used numbers and letters instead of symbols. She was able to identify the numbers and letters that were the same, despite the fact that she had not performed the trick again at any point in the last decade. This is the longest known retention period of any animal species, and is all the more impressive due to the 25-year lifespan of the sea lion. We'll see how well you remember the things you learned at 30 when you turn 70.

Getty
"It was something about alcohol and brain cells. Probably not important."

Scientists believe that this memory serves to help sea lions identify prey that they may only encounter once every few years. Or to help the sea lion exact horrible revenge on its slave masters many years after the fact.
#4. An Elephant Keeps Track of Dozens of Other Elephants at Once

Getty

Here's a question for all you parents, babysitters and camp counselors: How many infants can you keep track of at any one time? Anyone who has spent time dealing with children knows that if you stop watching for 10 seconds, they'll be running around in traffic, making friends with savage animals and lining up to take candy from strangers.

If you're a human being, the answer is probably around three or four. If you're an elephant, it's more in the area of 30. Way to go, supermom!

Getty
"I swear to God, Dumbo, you are not my favorite."

Elephants can keep track of the whereabouts of up to 30 family members, regardless of their distance or direction. They accomplish this incredible task by creating a mental map that locates the position of each family member, even if some are separated from the rest of the pachydermal pack. How do they do this? Through their astounding ability to track and catalogue elephant pee.

Getty
If it wasn't for that, elephants would go missing constantly.

Whenever they encounter the scent of another elephant's urine, an elephant can record in its computerish brain the location and direction of the pisser. This enables them to devote a sizable portion of their working memory to maintaining these expansive mental maps.

Getty
The only thing we can detect is the lingering aroma of asparagus.

To test this, scientists gathered urine samples from other elephants and presented them to their relatives. When the samples were from elephants who were far away, or had not yet passed by the area, the elephants reacted with surprise. We're not sure how the scientists detected "surprise" in elephants, but we trust their judgment.

Read more: 6 Animals With Better Memories Than You | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/ar...n-you.html#ixzz1eK5Cz5uu

Originally Posted by AC4Three

That's good, although I doubt McDonald's really cares about animal rights...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the least of their concerns.

Their top priority? Profit. And I guess this is the easiest/cheapest process of turning these animals into food. Sick, but welcome to reality, ladies and gentlemen. This is the doing of a multi-billionaire company, and there is virtually nothing we can really do about it.

What I find disturbing is these corporations don't give a damn about the way these animals are treated until they get put on blast and their overall image as a company is in jeopardy.

This type of misconduct goes overlooked as long as they can get away with it.

But the average person is just as guilty because they can give a $### less as well.

solefood229 wrote:
What does burning off the beaks do? Seems so unnecessary

If they had their beaks, they would kill each other. Debeaking removes the sharp tip of their beaks so that the birds cannot cause harm to other animals. 

It's worth noting that 1) this procedure isn't done to "prevent harm" so much as to avoid damaged commodities and 2) obviously they wouldn't be killing each other if they weren't packed into such tight confines and subjected to such intense stress.  

Chickens' beaks are incredibly sensitive.  They have to be: chickens use their beaks to probe for food.  During the "debeaking" process, minimum-wage earners deform hundreds of chickens per hour.  A searing blade slices through countless nerve endings, leaving chicks with a mass of weeping scar tissue.  They suffer from chronic pain for the next few weeks, if not the rest of their all too short lives as a result. 

If that sort of thing strikes anyone as cruel, bear in mind that it's standard industry practice.  So, if you decide you'd rather not be complicit in such a thing, you shouldn't just boycott McDonald's or this one supplier - but all poultry products in general.  

Makes it easier for me to maintain my vegetarian life style
Many vegetarians eat eggs - and this sort of thing is part of the process.  Battery hens have their beaks cut off, too.  Male hatchlings are thrown into industrial grinders or tossed into garbage bags and suffocated to death.  Layer hens themselves are subjected to forced molting and, after about two years, those who haven't already died are sold off to be used in pet food and other low grade meat products, as their flesh, after so much stress and suffering, is considered substandard.
Did not watch or read.

Then don't post.
No it does not, but if that happened I would admit they are smarter than humans and give them the top spot on the food chain.

This sort of "might makes right" mentality hardly strikes me as "advanced," let alone ethical.  

You have a choice.  

Odds are you would be horrified if anyone did this to puppies, but you'll tolerate it when it's done to other species simply because you're become culturally accustomed to such a thing.  There's no sense in concocting some sort of arbitrary scheme that delineates "food animal" from those species worthy of empathic consideration; you're just going to spend the next week backpedaling and trying to avoid painting yourself into a corner.  Your preferences, in this respect, aren't born of logic.  Attempting to invent a logical rationale for it, ex post facto, is a lost cause.  

Chickens' beaks are incredibly sensitive.  They have to be: chickens use their beaks to probe for food.  During the "debeaking" process, minimum-wage earners deform hundreds of chickens per hour.  A searing blade slices through countless nerve endings, leaving chicks with a mass of weeping scar tissue.  They suffer from chronic pain for the next few weeks, if not the rest of their all too short lives as a result.

Brutal. Just brutal.

all animals used in the food process are treated like @+%%.......yall act like they get to live their full lives before they are used for w/e

Just because we can do these things to other species, does it mean that we should?
That's the point that so many of you keep missing.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by rashi

Only eggs I eat.

organiceggs.jpg
Good stuff. Taste good?

And nice sig.

Very good. Go to Cornucopia.org to see which Eggs, cereals, milk, ect. have a good score non-GMO, ethical, and humane ingredients.

This is why we need better teachers in our formative years.

Teachers are to blame for students thinking "food chain" some how equates to "more important chain" ...and its just patently false.

Add to that the number of teachers that skimp around evolution...and the result is people posting rather ignorant statements like: Humans aren't animals and chickens are only made to be eaten.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Sounds good. What a shame the lengths one must go for better things.

You're telling me, man. I have to order grass fed beef, bison, and chicken through the internet. I have to travel miles to a Farmer's Market because Whole Foods because their organic produce is miniscule now.
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom