NBA 2K10 News Thread (The Game Is OUt)

Still not a gameplay vid...

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Still not a gameplay vid...

nerd.gif
This is what pisses me off about 2K. They know that people will buy it regardless of the lack of info given to the consumer. They need to cut itout. The game comes out in less than 4 weeks and we have nothing but the Draft Combine, which they admitted was 2k9.5 and two teaser trailers.

Originally Posted by copped

Originally Posted by jordanfanatic23

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

D Rose trailer - http://uk.gamespot.com/xb...--take-over-trailer?hd=1
pimp.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

2k9 v2 FTL
More like 2k1 v.2.0.9

I wasn't impressed with the Kobe Interview gameplay footage in the background. The offenseive off the ball animations are just like 2k9, players just kindasat around, moved a few steps or so. This coming from a 2k guy
tired.gif

I really hope 2k delivers something GREAT because that have gotten soo lazy over the years being #1 that they feel no need to do anything new. It's thesame damn engine from PS2/Xbox days too and they put in soooo many animations that you never feel like YOU have control.

nba live 10 demo is out if anyone is interested....on xbox 360 at least...

go to your dashboard, then games marketplace...then all games, then by category sports and recreation and you should see it there

Did they fix the random bounce passes that results in an automatic turnover? Also, what about the saves from out of bounds in the middle of the floor?

Originally Posted by kash55

Most the of the 2K10 animations look the same as 2K9...this is not good.

Not based off of the Draft Combine Demo
It looks and feels different IMO
The Up and under has been changed
Ball handling is different
To be honest I dont kno if thats good or bad but I do know I will be copping

i love the defense in the draft combine.. will definitely be coppin the 1st day.
it's funny.. every year there's alway this huge hype that EA/Live will finally get their act together.. i don't think it would be different thisyear. lol.

laugh.gif
idk why yall getting mad every year 2k takes super long for gameplayvids and when they come out everybody post
eek.gif

and says i need to cop asap,they prob will come out within the next couple of days

Player Tendencies
By: 2K Admin Ron | Friday September 11 2009
Hey guys, it's Ronnie. I am posting this on behalf of Rob Jones, as he is actually taking a much needed day out ofoffice. Enjoy the Insight! Sorry it took a bit to post! Hope you guys like the screenshots! Have a good weekend!

Hey guys,
Rob Jones here. You guys have known me for years as the game play voice behind NBA 2K and College Hoops. I haven't been this excited about what we haveachieved this year for NBA 2K10 in terms of Player Tendencies, since introducing you guys to Signature Style in NBA 2K7. I am truly excited about the huge stepup in Tendencies that we are incorporating into our Signature Play feature. This year, we have allowed for unprecedented depth in our players from a differentsystem of ratings, attributes, plays, and decision-making in AI. Let's get into it.

82 Games
Last year, we introduced Living Rosters that made sure to promote players that had stepped up their game over an extended period of time. I know that a lot ofyou were excited by the continually updated roster and the unlocked animations. As a big fan of the sport, I watched as players changed their game due totrades, new roles within the team, and injuries. I analyzed a lot of what Synergy had going on, recording in-game box scores and categorizing how that wasimpacting an individual game. They do a great job of tracking many different tendencies of a player and breaking it down from position to position on thecourt. Synergy's data definitely paints a comprehensive picture about what a player is doing on the court, but in my mind not a complete one. There werestill questions lingering for me about a player's tendency to use specific abilities over and over. I like to call it a player's personality profile.

NBA players are gifted with an enormous skill set, but in the end, like all human beings, tend to rely on the things they are the most comfortable using. That,in itself, is the tell that great defensive players like Bowen and Battier have used to counter the attacks of great offensive players.

l_dfe5816c82be47699e540693dabb8951.jpg

With this information in mind, we set out to build a new offensive AI with all new tendencies that mimicked what a player wants to do, instead of what he isdoing. Think of it as being proactive in anticipating a player's moves as opposed to just recording them. The AI is now meant to be fed information as tohow an offensive player likes to attack his defender, from what point of the court he is coming and what he wants to do to finish a play. In essence, if he hasme one on one, what is his preference?

The code that determines this choice is of course dynamic, so that it can adjust for a User trying to throw it off by using unorthodox tactics. It alsounderstands the usefulness of certain moves in certain parts of the court, such that it will not find itself doing things that are not intelligent like doublecrossovers in the key.

At every point of decision, the game code now gathers all possible tendencies (and not the actual ratings themselves) to choose what to do and allows the gameto be more intelligent than ever before. Say there is an animation that takes up more space than is physically allotted on the court or the opening is notthere for a certain maneuver, the AI will ditch that action and find the next tendency a player would go towards. Freeing the choice up from ratings allows theAI to be given a set of directions based on their shot types and dribble types, attacking the basket versus settling for a jump shot, being a black hole in themiddle versus looking to kick back out, etc.

This brings us full circle. I noticed that Synergy's tendencies were really only changing when a player's role would change, whether that was by injuryor transaction. If a role player goes from being a garbage time player to a huge part of the rotation, obviously their stat line will see a boost but what isthat based on? Only a shift in role creates this difference, but their actual play type has not changed. They would still make the same choices on certainpoints of the court. The stats were not really representing how they played, their decisions continued to play the largest role in the player they could be. Ifyou looked at a player that played consistently, you would notice that what he did from week to week varied very little. This confirmed my theory of humansbeing creatures of habit.

l_170a28bdec41413e9608a5214cf879da.jpg

Understand that I believe that all the tracking systems that are out there do a bang-up job of spitting out information about what they see players do. Thesimple fact is that while great players are adept at doing different things when challenged to do so, more often than not, they can rely on what they do 95% ofthe time, which means that over time, their tendencies flatline and change very little.
So we went to work to look for someone who could provide us more information about how players make their choices within a game so we could better present itwithin our simulation. This innovation would need such a large batch of data and choices that it became an undertaking that we needed to take outside ouroffice with an organization dedicated to this practice. That was how our partnership with 82games.com was born. Interestingly enough, while they tracked someof the most obscure statistics, a lot of what we needed wasn't in their domain… yet. While we could have taken this as a negative, we actually liked theidea that they would help us build the tendency database having our goals in mind. They physically tracked NBA games for us to derive the information we werelooking for. The good thing is that while we built the system, they were flexible enough to accommodate changes to how the information was being delivered, inorder to better recreate the players.

Play-Calling
With a new AI system, it was important to give our play-calling system a complete makeover.

First of all, we wanted to give the user more plays to access during the game. The old play-calling system felt very limited since we only allowed a maximum of8 plays to choose from: 4 Quick Plays and 4 Set Plays by default. With the majority of the default plays designed for your star player(s) like Kobe, it leftyou with little or no plays to call for the other players on the court. This is no longer a problem in NBA 2K10 as you now have access to 4 plays per positionduring game play. Include the 4 Quick Plays and you have a total of 24 plays available to you.

l_c4b56ed6f463440c93d40f81fea05a27.jpg

The new play-calling system doesn't end there. You can now assign any play to each and every position. If you like a particular Pick & Roll play, youcan assign the same play to both your Center and Power Forward if you want. If you have a 3-point shooting Point Guard and Center, you can give them the sameplay as well. With the help of the in-game play diagram - PlayVision - you can now execute plays in NBA 2K10 like never before.

We've also made improvements on the overall Playbook screen UI. When you are looking for plays to assign to each position, the UI provides a filter for youbased on the play types that you might be interested in: Isolation, Low Post, High Post, Three Point, Mid-Range, Pick and Roll, Pick and Fade. It makes iteasier than going through a long list of plays. Another improvement to the UI that we have addressed is that when viewing a play, we now show you a'movie' of the play so you can see where each player goes, as opposed to the flipbook last year.
Of course, you can set up these plays in practice mode and run them back to get your team up to speed. You can practice the same play over and over, and/oragainst any defensive sets. Remember, the AI will look to use these plays against you in Quick Game if it falls under their tendencies so it may take some timeto learn what's coming at you!

Living Rosters will update the playbook based on your team/coach, so your main squad will be up-to-date. Trades will happen that completely changes the teamdynamics and with that, playbooks will need updating as well. I am sure that will be discussed in a future Living Rosters Insight.

Player Attributes
I also wanted to do a quick call-out on some changes I am quite excited about. As you may have heard, Player Ratings have been expanded to a 25-99 system, asopposed to a 50-99. This allows us a ton more shades of grey, as people who don't have a certain skill in their arsenal will be awarded a 25 andthere's just more room to work with going upward from there. It allowed us to accurately drill down on each rating better. The increase in range alsoimproved our ability to separate star from superstar. Think to how you envision Tony Parker vs Steve Nash. You might see them as equal players, but the fact isthat they are separated by their skills in more ways than one. With the expanded range, it will be clearer why one player is different than the other, even ifthey come close in Overall Rating.

l_6c1aab1d6b5e4d63b412fbdca8303c93.jpg

There are also a few more Player Attributes I should mention, including the all new shooting attributes Low Post Scoring and Inside Shooting. That expandsshooting attributes to five from three, and differentiates Shoot Close into three different branches. We also added Offhand Dribbling and Ball Security. BallSecurity in particular was one that we needed to add, because a player like Derek Fisher who is not the flashiest player would get a mid-70s score for BallHandling last year. Sure he's not crossover maven, but you're not ripping him off the dribble either. You won't see big men in the post beunstoppable as it pertains to keeping possession. If your player is not a ball handler, don't be expecting any incredible spin moves to turn out well foryou.

Conclusion
So I am really excited to hear your guys' feedback about our integration with 82 games and what tendencies should be based off of. I think we'reoffering the largest set of choices around for our AI and it will help immensely in our game play, both as an opponent and as a teammate. That's all fornow, I will be back with another Insight down the road.

Thanks,
- Rob Jones
Game Play Producer

Still no gameplay footage?
indifferent.gif

Anyone know when the demo's dropping? DC?

No idea man. 2K is always late with their info. NHL 2K10 comes out soon, they only push one game at a time. So once that hockey game is out, maybe it isNBA's turn

NBA 2k10 First Impressions from aholbert32 from OS:

I got a chance to watch and play NBA2k10 for an hour yesterday and I walked awayn thinking one thing: If you loved NBA2k9, you are going to love 2k10. If you liked NBA2k9 but had some issues with the game, you will probably love 2k10. If you are tired of 2k basketball and hoping for a change from 2k9, you wont be happy. The game plays like a much improved, better polished and better looking version of NBA2k9.

So because I was thirsty for information so I showed up 15 minutes early and bumrushed the preview session before me (Shoutout to Zo at Zoknowsgaming.com). They were playing a game between the Lakers and Cavs . The lighting at the Q looked great. The Q is one of the brighter arenas in the game and the NBA2k10 version looked just like that. A couple of things jumped out at me from watching the game. One, the crowd noise is much improved. The crowd is much more intelligent and they cheer and boo at the appropriate moments. It appears that 2k either redid or greatly improved the crowd noise because in the hour that I played the game I did not hear any issues with the crowd. More team chants and no annoyances like the random whistles we've heard in past years (That's for you, Pared). This is one of the only places that I can compare 2k10 against the Live demo and in my opinion crowd noise and both games are well done.

Two, the TV style presentation has been improved in a few small ways. There are constant stat overlays. Individual stat overlays like how many points, rebounds and assists Lebron has in the game. Other individual stat overlays like what Lebron's shooting percentage has been in each quarter. Team overlays like the Lakers FG% vs. Cleveland's. As for the commentary, Its good news/bad news. The bad news is there are many lines from NBA 2k9 that are used in NBA2k10. Its unrealistic for me to think that they would redo all of the commentary from last year's game but I was disappointed that about 60%-70 percent of the lines I heard were from last year's game. The good news is that a lot of the commentary changes are tied to the NBA Today feature and since the season hasn't started a lot of the new commentary hasn't been activated.
>>
So it was my turn to play the game and I choose the hometown Wizards vs. the Blazers. I didn't get the chance to play against the CPU so all of my impressions are based on head to head play. Lets start from the beginning. There is a new opening intro to each game. If you are playing with the Cavs or the Celtics, you will see Lebron's chalk toss or KG getting pumped. If you are playing against the Blazers, its just like TV. You catch the tail end of the starting lineups announcement meaning that the arena is dark and the Blazers logo and team name are flashing over the court. There is a quick overlay of the starting lineups and then Kevin and Clark talk briefly and present the players to watch in the game.
>>
Gameplay wise, the first thing that jumped out at me was the player movement. One of my biggest frustrations with the 2k series the last few years has been that I felt like I had to do too much to initiate the offense. If I wanted to get my teammates to move I had to call a play, for a pick or have them run off a screen. If I didn't they just stood there. That is not the case in 2k10. Players are constantly on the move in this game. There were a number of times where I brought the ball up with Arenas and without calling a play Haywood came up and set a pick. I had other plays where Jamison would set a pick on his own and pop out to the side corner for a 3.
>>
I watched over 30 Wizards games last year (I'm a bit of a masochist) and I feel comfortable in saying that without calling plays, the Wizards ran their offense like they did last year. Caron Butler didn't just stand around. On his own, he will run off screens and actually post up occasionally. I've never seen a small forward post up in a 2k game without calling a play. I can confidently say that it appears that the tendencies work this year.
>>
Playcalling has changed but not as much as I would have liked to see. This year instead of only being able to call 8 plays per team, you can call 24. The way it works is you press right on the directional pad and it brings up the play calling screen. The screen has 6 categories one for general plays and five for plays featuring each position. So if I want to call a play for Jamison, I have to press right on the D pad, then RB to highlight the PF plays and then select the plays. I'm happy that they added mre plays but the interface was a little clunky and will take sometime to get used to. One other disappointment was from a quick glance there didn't appear to be any new plays. Keep in mind, this is based on one game but I called probably about 10 plays during the game. While the plays have new names, all 10 appeared to be plays from previous versions of the game. Its possible out of the other 14 plays that I didn't call that there are new plays but I didn't see them.
>>
It's safe to say that help defense and defense as a whole is implemented right in NBA2k10. No more stupid random double teams. No more players randomly leaving assignments. This year, the CPU teammates will react intelligently when helping. For example, I was guarding Brandon Roy with Mike Miller and Roy got by Miller with his first step. Miller was beat but not so badly that he couldn't recover. Now in last year's game, two things would happen. Either Haywood (My C) wouldn't provide me with any help or he would run over too quickly and Roy would pass it to the open man for an easy dunk. This year, Haywood stayed with his man until it was clear that Miller was beat and then came over to help. Defenders do a lot more shading this year where its clear that they are guarding their man but they are guarding them loose enough so that they can help if needed.
>>
I love the new dribble controls. They are simplified and easy enough for an old man like me to play. In NBA2k10, there is no button for dribble moves. You don't use the right stick. You just use the left stick for basic crossovers and combine the left trigger for more complicated dribble moves. What's great is depending on the player's ability, the basic dribble moves can be enough to blow past a player. For example, Arenas's crossover was good enough to beat Steve Blake off the dribble continuously. I tried the same thing with Deshawn Stevenson and I didn't get anywhere.
>>
Random Impressions: Overall player control is better but still similar to NBA2k9. I don't know if this is an issue but on one play I had a mismatch with Arenas being guarding by LaMarcus Aldridge on the perimeter. In my opinion, I should have been able to blow past him using speed alone but he was able to stay with me all the way to the basket and forced me to take a bad shot. Halftime show is shorter with just the team stats and a Player of the Half. There are some additions to the end of game menu. G Moments are the two-three top plays of the game and Pressbox is a slideshow of photos from the game. I saw some clipping in my game on layup attempts but nothing too bad. Sub patterns appear to be right on. The Wizards went 10-11 deep and the Blazers went 10 deep. Love the small addition of players with their warmups on. If a player doesn't get in the game he keeps his warmups on all game. Looked at My Player for a quick second. Not much to add that you haven't seen. Saw the Summer League arena and it looked nice. Liked that you could watch the game or sim until the coach puts you in.

Originally Posted by toine2983

I got a chance to watch and play NBA2k10 for an hour yesterday and I walked awayn thinking one thing: If you loved NBA2k9, you are going to love 2k10. If you liked NBA2k9 but had some issues with the game, you will probably love 2k10. If you are tired of 2k basketball and hoping for a change from 2k9, you wont be happy. The game plays like a much improved, better polished and better looking version of NBA2k9.

and that is all what we were hoping wasn't going to be the case...these dudes probably took a nice summer vacation came back a month ago andstarted working on it...
laugh.gif

and i don't know why you guys are sleeping on that live10 demo...i'm having a lot of fun playing it...shooting with carmelo is so fun
pimp.gif
...and i've been a 2k fan boy since 2k5..

i'll be getting both...just tryna figure out which one i'll be playing more/practicing more.

The ball handling has changed
And I'm kinda tight about it
After going through the trouble of learning the moves (regular, turbo and turbo-left trigger) they change it.
Now I have to go unlearn all of that...

Still no gameplay footage?
indifferent.gif

Anyone know when the demo's dropping? DC?

stop boohooing damn....2k9 gameplay videos came out september 20th of 2008....stop crying!

So because I was thirsty for information so I showed up 15 minutes early and bumrushed the preview session before me (Shoutout to Zo at Zoknowsgaming.com). They were playing a game between the Lakers and Cavs . The lighting at the Q looked great. The Q is one of the brighter arenas in the game and the NBA2k10 version looked just like that. A couple of things jumped out at me from watching the game. One, the crowd noise is much improved. The crowd is much more intelligent and they cheer and boo at the appropriate moments. It appears that 2k either redid or greatly improved the crowd noise because in the hour that I played the game I did not hear any issues with the crowd. More team chants and no annoyances like the random whistles we've heard in past years (That's for you, Pared). This is one of the only places that I can compare 2k10 against the Live demo and in my opinion crowd noise and both games are well done.

Two, the TV style presentation has been improved in a few small ways. There are constant stat overlays. Individual stat overlays like how many points, rebounds and assists Lebron has in the game. Other individual stat overlays like what Lebron's shooting percentage has been in each quarter. Team overlays like the Lakers FG% vs. Cleveland's. As for the commentary, Its good news/bad news. The bad news is there are many lines from NBA 2k9 that are used in NBA2k10. Its unrealistic for me to think that they would redo all of the commentary from last year's game but I was disappointed that about 60%-70 percent of the lines I heard were from last year's game. The good news is that a lot of the commentary changes are tied to the NBA Today feature and since the season hasn't started a lot of the new commentary hasn't been activated.
>>
So it was my turn to play the game and I choose the hometown Wizards vs. the Blazers. I didn't get the chance to play against the CPU so all of my impressions are based on head to head play. Lets start from the beginning. There is a new opening intro to each game. If you are playing with the Cavs or the Celtics, you will see Lebron's chalk toss or KG getting pumped. If you are playing against the Blazers, its just like TV. You catch the tail end of the starting lineups announcement meaning that the arena is dark and the Blazers logo and team name are flashing over the court. There is a quick overlay of the starting lineups and then Kevin and Clark talk briefly and present the players to watch in the game.
>>
Gameplay wise, the first thing that jumped out at me was the player movement. One of my biggest frustrations with the 2k series the last few years has been that I felt like I had to do too much to initiate the offense. If I wanted to get my teammates to move I had to call a play, for a pick or have them run off a screen. If I didn't they just stood there. That is not the case in 2k10. Players are constantly on the move in this game. There were a number of times where I brought the ball up with Arenas and without calling a play Haywood came up and set a pick. I had other plays where Jamison would set a pick on his own and pop out to the side corner for a 3.
>>
I watched over 30 Wizards games last year (I'm a bit of a masochist) and I feel comfortable in saying that without calling plays, the Wizards ran their offense like they did last year. Caron Butler didn't just stand around. On his own, he will run off screens and actually post up occasionally. I've never seen a small forward post up in a 2k game without calling a play. I can confidently say that it appears that the tendencies work this year.
>>
Playcalling has changed but not as much as I would have liked to see. This year instead of only being able to call 8 plays per team, you can call 24. The way it works is you press right on the directional pad and it brings up the play calling screen. The screen has 6 categories one for general plays and five for plays featuring each position. So if I want to call a play for Jamison, I have to press right on the D pad, then RB to highlight the PF plays and then select the plays. I'm happy that they added mre plays but the interface was a little clunky and will take sometime to get used to. One other disappointment was from a quick glance there didn't appear to be any new plays. Keep in mind, this is based on one game but I called probably about 10 plays during the game. While the plays have new names, all 10 appeared to be plays from previous versions of the game. Its possible out of the other 14 plays that I didn't call that there are new plays but I didn't see them.
>>
It's safe to say that help defense and defense as a whole is implemented right in NBA2k10. No more stupid random double teams. No more players randomly leaving assignments. This year, the CPU teammates will react intelligently when helping. For example, I was guarding Brandon Roy with Mike Miller and Roy got by Miller with his first step. Miller was beat but not so badly that he couldn't recover. Now in last year's game, two things would happen. Either Haywood (My C) wouldn't provide me with any help or he would run over too quickly and Roy would pass it to the open man for an easy dunk. This year, Haywood stayed with his man until it was clear that Miller was beat and then came over to help. Defenders do a lot more shading this year where its clear that they are guarding their man but they are guarding them loose enough so that they can help if needed.
>>
I love the new dribble controls. They are simplified and easy enough for an old man like me to play. In NBA2k10, there is no button for dribble moves. You don't use the right stick. You just use the left stick for basic crossovers and combine the left trigger for more complicated dribble moves. What's great is depending on the player's ability, the basic dribble moves can be enough to blow past a player. For example, Arenas's crossover was good enough to beat Steve Blake off the dribble continuously. I tried the same thing with Deshawn Stevenson and I didn't get anywhere.
>>
Random Impressions: Overall player control is better but still similar to NBA2k9. I don't know if this is an issue but on one play I had a mismatch with Arenas being guarding by LaMarcus Aldridge on the perimeter. In my opinion, I should have been able to blow past him using speed alone but he was able to stay with me all the way to the basket and forced me to take a bad shot. Halftime show is shorter with just the team stats and a Player of the Half. There are some additions to the end of game menu. G Moments are the two-three top plays of the game and Pressbox is a slideshow of photos from the game. I saw some clipping in my game on layup attempts but nothing too bad. Sub patterns appear to be right on. The Wizards went 10-11 deep and the Blazers went 10 deep. Love the small addition of players with their warmups on. If a player doesn't get in the game he keeps his warmups on all game. Looked at My Player for a quick second. Not much to add that you haven't seen. Saw the Summer League arena and it looked nice. Liked that you could watch the game or sim until the coach puts you in.
So just like I stated, 2k1 v.2.0.9
smh.gif

Lazy $** devs. This game is yellow tape - nothing new - move along.

Back
Top Bottom