NBA Legacy Thread, Update Resumes

I think it was more he had a resurgent year in 2013, before that he'd been in steady decline. That's where I disagree on he was consistently great at the end. The part time player isn't a shot is just what happened he went from 37 minutes a game from 97-08 to 28.5 minutes from 08-16 that's almost an entire quarter less.

If people are going to “make cases” for Bird, Duncan, Shaq as GOAT, along with Magic, Oscar, etc, then Kobe deserves it too. He has a Peak, and longevity claim same as any other. Duncan and Bird never won back to back. Kobe did, multiple times. With, or without Shaq. Duncan and Bird played their entire careers with other HOFers, same as Magic, so stop your next claims right there. Spare me. The middle of this stretch he was burdened with trash as Mitch rebuilt on the fly, but he was no less devastating. From age 21 to 25 he did everything you could ask for from a player, as a 1, a 1A, a 1B, whatever you want to call him, he did just as much as the other legends of the game.

Age 21-31
2000-2010

821 games
23,035 pts
4,286 asst
4,772 reb
1,359 stls

8,043-17,617 FG's 46%
1,150-3,372 3's 34%
5,799-6,893 FT's 84%

Missed 81 games. Basically an entire season.

32,311 min

Funny part, during that time frame he played in 170 playoff games, his averages?

Damn near identical across the board. 170 + 821 = 991 games. 40 minutes a night. 28/5/5 the entire time. Literally just shy of 1,000 games.

Years he DIDN’T win the MVP
2002-03 30/7/6/2 41 min a game in 82 games.
2005-06 35/5/4/2 41 min a game in 80 games.
2009-10 27/5/5/1.5 39 min a game in 73 games.

MVP year
2007-08 28/6/5/2 39 min a game in 82 games.

7 Finals, 5 Titles, 2 Finals MVP’s, 1 MVP* 2008 Olympics 7-0 in WCF’s.

25/11/7/4 blocks in game 7 2000
Game 4 of the 2000 Finals on the road

48/16/3 close out of the Kings on the road
45/10/3 game 1 vs the Spurs on the road

30/10/7 game 7 vs the Kings on the road

33/7/8 WCF vs the Suns

All NBA First team 8 times
All NBA Defense First team 7 times

He was All NBA 2nd team and All Defense 2nd team when he was 21 and 22 and left off when he was hurt in 2005.

All Star every season, and All Star MVP 3 times. (His 4th came after this stretch) (He did sit out the 2010 All Star Game I believe)

Broken Hand, Knee surgery, shoulder injury, multiple finger/ligament tears, food poisioning, :lol:

He was their best defender, played damn near every minute, fought thru multiple injuries (unlike Shaq) and missed damn near an entire season worth of games, court trials, LA media crush, infighting, Phil leaving for a year, knee surgery, etc.

He lost one series with HC, the 04 Pistons series. That’s it. He lost the 08 Boston series with 2 starters out. Sasha Vujacic guarding Ray Allen at the close of games. :smh: His other bad beat was Phoenix when 60% of his starters were Kwame/Smush/Luke Walton. A team that had ZERO business even being in the playoffs in the Western Conference. Nobody ever did anything with some trash like that. :lol: He was one rebound away from winning that series, and dropped 50 in that game. Marion even missed the 3, they just couldn’t get one damn rebound. :smh: That board would have changed so much about his legacy.

He gets hurt with this “1 MVP” stuff, like Shaq doesn’t also only have 1. When we have voters who give out random MVP’s to storylines like Nash, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, etc. Kobe was better in 2003 than he was in 2008, but he gets the MVP in 08. :lol: Hell, he was ridiculous in 2006, outscoring teams by himself, and Nash and his 15-11 and zero defense somehow was more valuable. :lol:

Duncan, Bird, Shaq, they didn’t go to 7 Finals over a decade. Dunc and Bird didn’t win back to back, ever. So if you’re going to use those team accomplishments, then you have to do it for Kobe as well. And he surpasses all of them except MJ, Magic, Kareem, Russell over a decade span.

And to top that off, Kobe knocked Duncan out 4 out of 5 times during that time period. Went to the Finals 7 times. With Duncan/Pop in his same conference. Knocked him out in 01-02-04 and 08. Duncan won in 2003, when the Lakers were comin off 3 straight Finals runs, somethin Tim knows nothing about, ever. He didn't even reach back to back Finals until he was in his upper 30's and Kawhi/Parker/Manu/Green/Diaw carried him there.

Trying to push him out the way but include Duncan and Bird is just flat out nonsense. Shaq I wouldn’t argue too much about, I could see his claim, he certainly could make a good one. My thing with Shaq was he just left so much on the court. He COULD have done so much more. But he got swept like nothing with like 3 different franchises. :lol: And took so much time off and laughed while doin it. If he played as much as Kobe, Bron, and KG have, man…………his resume would be Top 3 with MJ and Kareem, no doubt in my mind. Magic and Bird were great, but were done so fast, it’s a shame they didn’t get to play 14-15-16 years. MJ only getting to 13 is a shame too. He easily could have had an extra 3-4 years on his resume, at which point all this discussion is probably even more irrelevant. :lol:

But in terms of just single decade stretches, Kobe matches up with anyone in history outside of 3-4 guys. MJ, Kareem, Bron, Magic are about the only guys that can match this stretch. No one else can. (I don’t know how to quantify Wilt or Russell, I suppose they match up somehow, but I’m not smart enough to know how it translates.)

UMMMMM NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KOBE quit against Phoenix and Boston in 06 and 09. Dude is top 10 at best. Cant be a top 5 when you were not even ALPHA DOG IN 3 of those 5 ships. SHAQ was.

Last edited:
Quick, name me a top 10 player that never got out of his first round in his prime (25-29 years old).

This almost feels like a trick question but I do know KG was missing the playoffs smack dab in the prime of his career. But I know, teammates, front office, etc...

This almost feels like a trick question but I do know KG was missing the playoffs smack dab in the prime of his career. But I know, teammates, front office, etc...

Does he mean top 10 player of all time...or top 10 player during their era....because there are a couple.

Grant Hill
Tmac
KG

He's not Top 10 to me, but it's Hakeem. Won 3 total playoff games in a 5 year stretch of his prime in a pretty weak HC. Forgotten that he was a malcontent that requested a trade and Miami wouldn't part with Rice or Steve Smith at the time. The rest is history.

Also, I found this the other day looking up Duncan stuff:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2000-07-12/sports/0007120306_1_tracy-mcgrady-orlando-magic-alonzo-mourning

I didn't remember that. Obviously Tim going to ORL changes the last 15 years of NBA, but Tracy to Miami would have done the same thing.

Last edited:
Hakeem's prime was later than most players with his late start and his slower offensive development IMO. Shorter 'prime' due to that

But at his peak, ohhhhhh doggy

Last edited:
Was supposed to be Hill, McGrady and Duncan, all in Orlando. The original Big 3 if that went down.

When is this silly narrative going to stop?  Kobe and Shaq were 1A and 1B.  Not 1 and 2.  The Lakers wouldnt have won a single title without either one of them.  Just astonishes me that people still cant understand this.

This entire thing is stupid and doesn't ******* matter, but no one in the league was as good as Shaq at that time.

I held on to kobe >LeBron as long as I could as a laker fan , roughly until 2012 . It's LeBron by a mile

still take bean over duncan , the 2014 championship helped narrow it though

Hakeem's prime was later than most players with his late start and his slower offensive development IMO. Shorter 'prime' due to that

Hakeem was an elite offensive talent from 86-96 maybe even 97.

[thread="302838"] [/thread]
[thread="302838"]Cant be a top 5 when you were not even ALPHA DOG IN 3 of those 5 ships. SHAQ was.[/thread]

When is this silly narrative going to stop?  Kobe and Shaq were 1A and 1B.  Not 1 and 2.  The Lakers wouldnt have won a single title without either one of them.  Just astonishes me that people still cant understand this.

**** is funny. Dudes still holding on to that. Acting like Kobe wasn't averaging 26+, 5, 5 for those last 2 rings.

Outta all these superstars Hakeem is probably the only one that won mutiple rings w/o another great player. To me he was probably the most entertaining big man to watch. Offense and defense.

Just looked it up. Hakeems numbers during those rings

28, 11, 4.5 ast, 4.0 blk
33, 10, 4.5, 2.8

:x :x

Last edited:

Hakeem went to the finals against Boston in like his 2nd or 3rd year though....and he was a superstar already.

'94 undoubtedly -- '95 Clyde was still just as good as many #2's throughout history.

21/7/5 for the post-season
He was 22/10/7 in the Finals.
25/6/6 in Rnd 1 vs Utah that went the distance and had 31 in the final.
29/8/4 in G7 on the road in Phoenix/Kiss of Death game.

Outta all these superstars Hakeem is probably the only one that won mutiple rings w/o another great player. To me he was probably the most entertaining big man to watch. Offense and defense.

28, 11, 4.5 ast, 4.0 blk
33, 10, 4.5, 2.8

With out a great player? You know Clyde the glide was on that team. Top 2O player off all time. I will agree, Akeem is a top 12 player of all time.

As for Kobe and Shaquille. Shaq was the most dominate center ever. I know for a fact they ain't winning with out Shaq. With out Kobe??? Hmmmm don't know.

Hakeem was an elite offensive talent from 86-96 maybe even 97.

I disagree. Elite defensive player for sure, his offense jumped in 93

Hakeem went to the finals against Boston in like his 2nd or 3rd year though....and he was a superstar already.

Never said he want, just developed his offensive arsenal later to be a complete, MVP player

Clyde was only on the 94-95 team IIRC

Yeah I forgot about Clyde in 95. :lol:

28, 11, 4.5 ast, 4.0 blk
33, 10, 4.5, 2.8

With out a great player? You know Clyde the glide was on that team. Top 2O player off all time. I will agree, Akeem is a top 12 player of all time.

As for Kobe and Shaquille. Shaq was the most dominate center ever. I know for a fact they ain't winning with out Shaq. With out Kobe??? Hmmmm don't know.

Of course Shaq was the dominant and he deserved those MVP's. At that time a great big man was more valuable than a great guard. But it wasn't no Shaq and the lil sidekick ****.

Last edited:
I personally feel KG is overrated in a career sense.  Dude couldn't even carry a team to the playoff in Minnesota before he went to Boston, Dirk routinely carried bums to the top 3 seeds in the West.  KG is the best defensive PF no doubt, but he needs another player to carry the load defensively and at the end of the day, great offense>great defense.

I really don't even see how someone can argue KG>Dirk anymore, KG won 1 chip with two HOF's who were still both playing at a high level.  Dirk got robbed of one, and might win another and the 2nd best player on those teams were Jason Terry
laugh.gif
.  Take away Dirk and put KG on the Mavs dude might not carry them into the playoffs even.

If I'm making an all-time great team, KG then makes sense for his defense and versatility (In Simmons term, the Wine Cellar) but if I want a guy to be the alpha dog on my team I take Dirk over Kg 1,000 times out of 1,000.

I would take Dirk over KG any day too.
KG might be the more spectacular player with better athleticism but Dirk has been the smarter and more reliable player in his career.

In my hall of fames top 10 i would list:

MJ
Kareem
Wilt
Lebron
Magic
Bird
Olajuwon
Dirk
Kobe
Shaq

Not exactly in a specific order though.

Last edited:
**** is funny. Dudes still holding on to that. Acting like Kobe wasn't averaging 26+, 5, 5 for those last 2 rings.
**** is funny.

Dudes still holding on to that 1a, 1b nonsense.

Acting like Shaq wasn't averaging 33, 16 and 5 in the 2001 Finals.

Acting like Shaq wasn't averaging 36, 12 and 4 in the 2002 Finals.

1A and 1B.

roll.gif

Oh and let's not bring up the 2000 Finals. Oh wait, you already decided not to. How convenient.

CP, you sound blatantly biased. Get over your love affair with Bryant, he's not in the same category as LeBron, Duncan and Shaq. Ol' "how come one can't make an argument for Bryant as the GOAT" ***...

"Duncan wasn't as dominant as the other guys because he only averaged 24 points once..."

STOP putting Bryant in the same category as Timmy, Shaq and LeBron. The only people you are fooling are your fellow KobeTards.

Last edited:
if you put garnett on the spurs he wins as many rings as Duncan , and with pop watching his minutes , sitting him during back to backs and not having the extra work load it adds another 2-3 peak years to his career , dirk with popavich +prime parker and ginobli from 2004-2011 would easily win multiple rings .

what shooting guard you putting on the Lakers goes to 7 finals in 12 years and wins 5 rings .

Dwyane wade , Vince carter , Tracy mcgrady,Allen Iverson where all walking around in blown out knees , bad backs, messed up ankles etc by 32

bean over duncan .

if you put garnett on the spurs he wins as many rings as Duncan , and with pop watching his minutes , sitting him during back to backs and not having the extra work load it adds another 2-3 peak years to his career , dirk with popavich +prime parker and ginobli from 2004-2011 would easily win multiple rings .

what shooting guard you putting on the Lakers goes to 7 finals in 12 years and wins 5 rings .

Dwyane wade , Vince carter , Tracy mcgrady,Allen Iverson where all walking around in blown out knees , bad backs, messed up ankles etc by 32

bean over duncan .

Man, look at your logic :lol:.

All these hypotheticals. One could EASILY argue the exact opposite. If AI, Tmac, VC, Etc played with Shaq and Phil

they win as many rings as Kobe , not having the extra work load adds another 2-3 peak years to their career , AI/Tmac/VC with Phil Jackson +prime Shaq from 2000-2004 would easily win multiple rings .

See how that sounds? I literally took your post and edited out the coaches and players names :lol:.

KG and Dirk will tell you themselves that they weren't as good as Tim Duncan.

playing with a all time big like Shaq helps , but consider the fact kobe came into the league out of highschool and was going to the finals every year logging in 36+ minutes .. Tracy never made it past the second round as a starter and broke down by 29 , Vince made it to the Eastern conference finals once n broke down by 29 .
Your workload on the wing cant be compared to banging in the post night in and night out .

If you started beans career after Shaq got traded he still has a better resume than any shooting guard barring Jordan , ever .

After Shaq he won two scoring titles , 3 western conference championships , 2 NBA championships , 2 Finals MVP's , 9 time NBA first team , 1 Regular season MVP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom