Need Your Advice NT! Go to Court over this?

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

what is the letter of the law as it pertains to beach passes?

does it say that you must have physical posession of the beach pass with you while you are on the beach? does it make any mention about lost or stolen beach passes will not be replaced? i think you might be screwed here.
No info on the ticket or online(that i could find) .  It would kill me to take the L on this one though, i hate how cops can do anything.
The cop didn't just "do anything" here. You didn't have the pass which is necessary to prove that you are there legally. Since you didn't have the pass, as far as the cop is concerned, you are there illegally. On top of that, you're not helping yourself if you "get heated" in front of a cop while you appear to be breaking the law.
I don't think he's asking whether he can sue the cop, he's asking whether he can fight the ticket.
Here's what I'd do:

1. Call the court and ask if there are fees for fighting a ticket and losing. If so, consider not going, because you might end up paying more if judge is unsympathetic and tells you the burden for keeping the passes was on you. Even if he reduces, you might end up paying the same amount.

2. If there are no fees, take pics of everything, have your brother sign a statement, and explain what happened to the judge. If you're lucky he'll waive it, or reduce it if he can. The more effort you make, the more likely the judge helps you out. TAKE PICS. 

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

what is the letter of the law as it pertains to beach passes?

does it say that you must have physical posession of the beach pass with you while you are on the beach? does it make any mention about lost or stolen beach passes will not be replaced? i think you might be screwed here.
No info on the ticket or online(that i could find) .  It would kill me to take the L on this one though, i hate how cops can do anything.
The cop didn't just "do anything" here. You didn't have the pass which is necessary to prove that you are there legally. Since you didn't have the pass, as far as the cop is concerned, you are there illegally. On top of that, you're not helping yourself if you "get heated" in front of a cop while you appear to be breaking the law.
I don't think he's asking whether he can sue the cop, he's asking whether he can fight the ticket.
Here's what I'd do:

1. Call the court and ask if there are fees for fighting a ticket and losing. If so, consider not going, because you might end up paying more if judge is unsympathetic and tells you the burden for keeping the passes was on you. Even if he reduces, you might end up paying the same amount.

2. If there are no fees, take pics of everything, have your brother sign a statement, and explain what happened to the judge. If you're lucky he'll waive it, or reduce it if he can. The more effort you make, the more likely the judge helps you out. TAKE PICS. 

Absolutely. I once received a ticket from a park officer for fishing at the local park after closing time. She assured my friend and me that the ticket was no more than about twenty bucks so I wasn't really tripping. A month later I receive the citation in the mail and the ticket is for $297.
eek.gif

I fought the citation using trial by written declaration explaining that I felt the fine was outrageously high and in this economy it's very difficult for me to pay such a hefty amount. I asked that it be reduced and it was thrown out completely.
smile.gif

Be polite, explain your situation and get it thrown out. 

Absolutely. I once received a ticket from a park officer for fishing at the local park after closing time. She assured my friend and me that the ticket was no more than about twenty bucks so I wasn't really tripping. A month later I receive the citation in the mail and the ticket is for $297.
eek.gif

I fought the citation using trial by written declaration explaining that I felt the fine was outrageously high and in this economy it's very difficult for me to pay such a hefty amount. I asked that it be reduced and it was thrown out completely.
smile.gif

Be polite, explain your situation and get it thrown out. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I...didn't say anything about suing the cop. I'm explaining why he deserved to get the ticket and why he's a moron to be getting heated when he deserved to get the ticket.

I...didn't say anything about suing the cop. I'm explaining why he deserved to get the ticket and why he's a moron to be getting heated when he deserved to get the ticket.

Here's what I'd do:

sue the cop for the lulz.

take pics.

Here's what I'd do:

sue the cop for the lulz.

take pics.

A moron?  Its not like a was threatening or yelling at the cop.  I just kept explaining my case and he kept insisting that a snuck in, like it was impossible to lose a beach pass. 

A moron?  Its not like a was threatening or yelling at the cop.  I just kept explaining my case and he kept insisting that a snuck in, like it was impossible to lose a beach pass. 

I would try to fight it. Try to find the person who sold u the ticket and see if they rememeber you. No way I would take an L knowing dam well I paid for a beach pass.

I would try to fight it. Try to find the person who sold u the ticket and see if they rememeber you. No way I would take an L knowing dam well I paid for a beach pass.

You lost the pass and you're acting like it's the cop's fault. Why do you not see the problem here?

Not acting like its the cops fault, just feel it's silly how he has never encountered this before?  Seems like a common thing to lose a small white beach pass when your surrounded by sand and a lot of people...  thought it was kinda weird that out of everyone on the beach, he only came up to us.. 
indifferent.gif

couldn't stop thinking of this when he was talking to me though 
laugh.gif
 (could someone please embed? not able to)

You lost the pass and you're acting like it's the cop's fault. Why do you not see the problem here?

Not acting like its the cops fault, just feel it's silly how he has never encountered this before?  Seems like a common thing to lose a small white beach pass when your surrounded by sand and a lot of people...  thought it was kinda weird that out of everyone on the beach, he only came up to us.. 
indifferent.gif

couldn't stop thinking of this when he was talking to me though 
laugh.gif
 (could someone please embed? not able to)

OK, I misunderstood. But the stuff you pointed out doesn't really matter in this case. If OP wants to actually have success fighting this ticket, he has to admit guilt and act for leniency because of the circumstances. It's clearly his fault in the legal sense of the word, but it's clearly not his fault in the every day sense of the word since he paid for the passes and they fell out of his bag. 
He goes to court, explains the situation with whatever evidence he can come up with, and hopes the judge is having a good day. 

OK, I misunderstood. But the stuff you pointed out doesn't really matter in this case. If OP wants to actually have success fighting this ticket, he has to admit guilt and act for leniency because of the circumstances. It's clearly his fault in the legal sense of the word, but it's clearly not his fault in the every day sense of the word since he paid for the passes and they fell out of his bag. 
He goes to court, explains the situation with whatever evidence he can come up with, and hopes the judge is having a good day. 

Back
Top Bottom