NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there be a buy and sell section on the new site
If so what will the differences if any be ?

Will our old posts and post count also be on the new site

I also click on a lot of the ads especially when I have NT on the desk desk top platform
One other question I also can't update my email on nt I believe it's under a yahoo.com account
1.  There will be a buy/sell section on the new site.  Unfortunately, the new platform does not have the same buy/sell features built in - like the feedback tool.  To start, it will basically just be a forum where you can create new topics to serve as buy/sell listings.  For security, we'll continue to hold these for moderation.  Some of the perks, like feedback, will unfortunately be lost, but the core function will remain.

It is possible to custom develop a solution to bring back feedback, etc., but, even if we were to disregard the expense, that's not something we could implement right away.

We will need to run as close to stock as we reasonably can for the first year or so, as the new platform will be undergoing a major version change that could break compatibility with any custom development we might invest in during the interim.  

It would be like spending a lot of money to develop a program for an operating system or game console that will soon be obsolete.  

The move to the new platform will bring with it some great new features, but, maybe 12-18 months afterward, we'll see yet another feature bump with the release of that new version.  Once that's stable, we can start looking into custom development projects - and getting our fellow members involved in the process of choosing what new features to add. 

2.  Yes, all of your old posts will be transferred to the new site - as will your post count, join date, and other preferences, like the users you follow and ignore.  

3.  This bears repeating, since apparently there's some confusion about preparedness for the move given the way the previous one went:

As long as you can log out and log back in to the current site, you're all set for the new site.  At relaunch, you will need to be able to sign in using your existing password.  Once you're in, you can update your other settings as desired.

In your case, I believe the reason you can't change your email address is because you've instructed the system not to send you any emails.  I can change that setting for you if you'd like, or you can just wait for the new system as long as you know your password. 

Meth this probably has nothing to do with the move but what happened to the signatures? Back in the day we could use team colors and fonts and what not. I know my S&T regulars would love to have that back.

my body is ready for beta testing 
pimp.gif

@MethodicalManagement

one other question about the buy and sell section

will we be able to bump and edit our own posts or we need to wait for a mod ?

Last edited:
I am also having trouble with changing my email address.
For anyone having this problem:  as long as you can still log in and log out, don't worry about it until we're on the new site.  Any system bugs or glitches associated with Huddler likely wouldn't be an issue, and we can help everyone better on the new site because we'll actually have a responsive, professional support team available to assist you.  

out of curiosity, would you guys ever change the name? Like to just NT.com or something ?
That's not under consideration at this time.  NT.com is taken and isn't terribly specific in terms of describing the purpose of the site.  We own a few other domain names, but see those as complementary, not as a replacement for NikeTalk.com.  
Meth this probably has nothing to do with the move but what happened to the signatures? Back in the day we could use team colors and fonts and what not. I know my S&T regulars would love to have that back.
Signatures aren't emphasized as much anymore for a couple of reasons:

1)  Signatures need to be stripped out for mobile users to make more efficient use of limited screen space.

2)  Giving people total flexibility in signature creation leads to all sorts of annoyances.  Rather than just have a laundry list of "dont's" that users were expected to read about and avoid, the system just restricts what can be placed in a signature to try and prevent anything too garish or annoying from being used.  

I don't know that we need them, to be perfectly honest with you.  Would having a signature add anything of value to Twitter or IG, for example?  Does anyone really miss them on mobile?  We have profile pages for personal details or contact info.  That wasn't the case when we first started out on ezboard, and there was very little, if anything, users could add to their profile.  

We haven't finalized signature settings yet, but I expect they'll be similarly restricted to try and keep things clean and streamlined.  
@MethodicalManagement

one other question about the buy and sell section

will we be able to bump and edit our own posts or we need to wait for a mod ?
Probably not.  If we let sellers edit listings, it opens the door to fraud.  A listing that was approved could be quickly changed to one that was not approved, for example, and everyone trying to cut ahead of each other in line doesn't help give anyone more exposure in practice.  It just means your listing won't be on the front page as long.  It's like standing up at a concert.  If you're average height or below, standing only gives you an advantage if everyone else is sitting down.  Once everyone stands, you're worse off than if you just stayed seated.  If you're tall, you don't need to stand in order to see regardless, so standing just inconveniences others. 

The good news is that we expect the search to work much better on the new site.  While we said that about Huddler, it was still true then, too.  Huddler's search was a step up from the previous site, and this will be a step up from Huddler.  

Now that the new system does technically allow for users to submit payment, it's theoretically possible to offer "premium" buy/sell access to qualified sellers, so they could add listings without waiting for screening.  I'm not sure we'd go that route, but it's a possibility that exists now. 

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I think a good idea would be the ability to easily sort threads in each sub-forum on mobile by newest made. That way if I'm ever bored of the ones I'm subbed to, I can browse through other threads without having to sift through the forest of official ones.

I think it can at least in a small capacity offset the whole "NT isn't like back in the day there's just official threads people don't venture out of" sentiment. And it can maybe give new threads a better shot at not getting buried.

Last edited:
NT has "Nike" in their domain name. No way they getting rid of that, especially for NT.com :lol:

Last edited:
Is there a rating on avatar uploads with the new system? Pretty much have the function turned off on desktop. Cant be browsing on work monitor with *** cheeks everywhere on my screen. Would be nice to filter which ones are visible.

I just hope it's easy to upload a gif from mobile.
It is.  You scroll down to the post editor, tap on "upload a file", select the image you want, wait for the upload to complete, then you can choose to insert the image as a thumbnail or full image wherever you want in your post.  

Just bear in mind that there will be a file size limit once again.  That's both a cost consideration and a practical one.  We can't have whole pages full of 10 MB gifs.  That wouldn't just crush performance for that page, but it would be extremely taxing on site-wide performance as well.  We want this thing to fly even on release nights or during the NBA Finals.  
Is there a rating on avatar uploads with the new system? Pretty much have the function turned off on desktop. Cant be browsing on work monitor with *** cheeks everywhere on my screen. Would be nice to filter which ones are visible.
I don't believe so - but that's a good idea.  It would be nice if users had the option to turn off avatars, as they can signatures.  As always, reporting inappropriate avatar images is encouraged.  If there isn't a direct report button for avatars, you can PM me or any other staff member or email support/feedback.  

One way we will discourage some of the inappropriate images is by removing support for animated gifs as avatars.  The new system renders all avatars as still images.  

We also will finally have the ability to revoke avatar permissions for specific users, which is one of the rare features we actually missed on the old platform.  If someone has a history of uploading inappropriate images, they'll get more than a warning - they'll find that they can no longer upload avatars at all.

Avatars appear in every single thread a user posts in.  It's essential that they be appropriate for ALL users and that they fully comply with our community standards.  
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I think a good idea would be the ability to easily sort threads in each sub-forum on mobile by newest made. That way if I'm ever bored of the ones I'm subbed to, I can browse through other threads without having to sift through the forest of official ones.

I think it can at least in a small capacity offset the whole "NT isn't like back in the day there's just official threads people don't venture out of" sentiment. And it can maybe give new threads a better shot at not getting buried.
That's a great idea, but unfortunately it's not in the system to start with.  It's possible that something like that could be included in a future version, incorporated as an add on, or custom developed, but, for the sake of performance, we try to keep the system running as close to stock as possible.  The more you fiddle with it, the more things can go wrong.  We have to look at the trade offs.

While we can't build every custom feature, the good news is that it's an option that is available to us.  Even at launch, there will be some custom stuff on the new site that's been developed just for us.  

How about the ability for mobile users to turn off the last reply appearing under each thread title in the forum?

How about the ability for mobile users to turn off the last reply appearing under each thread title in the forum?
Right now, there are no last post previews on desktop or mobile.

You can see a preview of a topic post on mouseover, but not the last reply.

I know that previewing the most recent reply can be helpful at times, but there are often cases where it's undesirable as well.  If it's something people really miss, perhaps there's a way to selectively reintroduce it, but it won't be available at launch. 

Not sure if still taking beta testers.

If needed / wanted, sign me up.
I haven't taken a headcount lately, but the max will probably be something like 50 so there should still be opportunity there if anyone's interested. 

We want to give motivated regular contributors the chance to get to know the system ahead of time and provide input on various aspects of the new site, like ad placement, to make the site the best it can be before we launch.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom