NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

You gotta lmk how that pseudosue is!

Sipping on it tonight. One of the best smelling beers I've had to date. Got tons of citrus and tropical fruit notes in the aroma. Taste was very smooth with the hop bitterness coming through at the end. Very easy drinking at 5.8% ABV. I'd give a slight nod to ZD over this but I'd highly recommend getting your hands on some. Awesome stuff.

Last edited:

Finally got to try this one out with a couple of friends of mine who just got back from the west coast. I loved the chocolate and cinnamon combination on this. I wish it was easily available around my way. Reminded me of Mexican Cake in some ways. Definitely do not pass this one up if you get the chance to try it.

Java Stout from Bells, one of my favorites. Perfect for this cold winter weather.

Second time I've had this, but the first time I was pretty far gone at a tasting and don't remember much of it. I enjoyed the espresso forwardness on this and with it being so thick I expected a lot of booze upfront but it was balanced perfectly. Will be seeking this out in the future.

Between 4 of us we killed off 24 of these holiday favorites pretty easily during a day of football.

Cheers all.

I'm new to the whole beer scene, so far samuel Adams harvest pumpkin ale and octoberfest is my favorite. Just picked up SA winter winter favorites...... Heard good reviews about " old fezziwig ale". Will crack it open this Friday!

My line up as of right now.

Fezzwig is definitely solid. Im actually a fan of the white christmas. It has some tartness and orange peel like hefe/blue moon type flavors.. Sam adams OF is one of the most accessible Oktoberfest beers that people actually want to drink.

Mark Antony, a local brewery around my way does stout floats. I've tried it once. Maybe its a stigma thing or all mental but I just can't get totally behind a beer/ice cream blend.. The rum and milk aspect may definitely make it less of a carbonated water ice cream blend and more into a creamy treat.

yeahitsRUST, celebration to me is tasting a bit less hoppy this year, which for me, considering the malt and hop choices, is PREFERRED. I may need to get a 12 pack before the holiday season is up.. Even More Jesus, I have had once.. 90-95 ish stout. Top tier stuff. I also dont remember too much. Price point could be a deterrant.. I liked it more than Biscotti which seemed to have some strange sweetness overpowering everything

Neosole89,
pseudosue sounds like my type of beer. I love that tropical and citrus flavor.. At 5.8% abv, is the price point on the bomber okay? I'm always on the fence trying new La Cumbre offerings, like a pale ale or a session IPA because of the price point/ABV comparison.

matters7, what all do you get that is American around your way? I was out in Spain many years back and didnt experience much more than what was available at local grocery stores.. Do you all get IPAs, Stouts, and the many styles we see in the states? What's considered imported to you? I'd love a look at another countries perspective on beer and or local craft options. I've always had dreams of moving to a place not known to have anything and just thrill people with what HOPS can do to many stlyes of beers.

Last edited:

Saw this at my local grocery store and had to pick it up. I haven't had any of them besides the pale ale, and if the rest suck, at least I get some of pale ale thats relatively fresh.

Last edited:
Fezzwig is definitely solid. Im actually a fan of the white christmas. It has some tartness and orange peel like hefe/blue moon type flavors.. Sam adams OF is one of the most accessible Oktoberfest beers that people actually want to drink.

Mark Antony, a local brewery around my way does stout floats. I've tried it once. Maybe its a stigma thing or all mental but I just can't get totally behind a beer/ice cream blend.. The rum and milk aspect may definitely make it less of a carbonated water ice cream blend and more into a creamy treat.

yeahitsRUST, celebration to me is tasting a bit less hoppy this year, which for me, considering the malt and hop choices, is PREFERRED. I may need to get a 12 pack before the holiday season is up.. Even More Jesus, I have had once.. 90-95 ish stout. Top tier stuff. I also dont remember too much. Price point could be a deterrant.. I liked it more than Biscotti which seemed to have some strange sweetness overpowering everything

Neosole89,
pseudosue sounds like my type of beer. I love that tropical and citrus flavor.. At 5.8% abv, is the price point on the bomber okay? I'm always on the fence trying new La Cumbre offerings, like a pale ale or a session IPA because of the price point/ABV comparison.

matters7, what all do you get that is American around your way? I was out in Spain many years back and didnt experience much more than what was available at local grocery stores.. Do you all get IPAs, Stouts, and the many styles we see in the states? What's considered imported to you? I'd love a look at another countries perspective on beer and or local craft options. I've always had dreams of moving to a place not known to have anything and just thrill people with what HOPS can do to many stlyes of beers.

Yeah i'm not a fan of floats, odd concoction. This was just pure creamy goodness.

Ah, Old Fezziwig. I was such a fan that I actually wrote SA asking them to release it as a six pack back in 2009.
Had it last year and was thoroughly disappointed. Tastes change I guess.

The eagle has landed early today.  Woke up to a loud thump on my doorstep:

This has "California Care Package" written all over it. :lol:
I work about a mile from El Segundo Brewing. Their Hyperion Vanilla Stout is solid (as are pretty much all their other brews).

Neosole89,

Bomber was $6 which is pretty damn good for the quality of beer you're getting. I'm sure some folks are trading it for upwards $8 though (which is still reasonable imo).

anyone from NYC, recommend any beer spots?
Torst by McCarren Park in Greenpoint is easily the best craft beer bar in the Tri-State area. Amazing Danish food too.  It's really a must-visit spot for anyone in the NYC area that likes craft beer.

The Cannibal on East 29th street in midtown also has a lot of really nice stuff on tap and in bottles/cans.  I like that their beer fridges line the walls as soon as you walk in the door and that you're allowed to look at the dates on the beers before ordering them.  Also has amazing food menu.

^ If you get a chance, try their blood orange Gose. Pretty damn good!

My local region barely was able to get the regular gose. Even then, it took quite the effort apparently. Some citrus could definitely help the flavors. Distro could be worse I guess, I could have no la cumbre. That's my only saving grace... Now we just got Avery beers. Most of their regular lineup beers and everyones going crazy. Call me when some fresh maharaja arrives.

I asked on UT Comparison Ford, but is Born Yesterday a one off? Will they do a born date of say 12/2 and make it a every 10-12 wk release? I get spoiled with freshness dates of just a week. The world going crazy for 3 weeks.

I totally forgot to mention AV Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.. It's been right under my breath for probably years around my way. Some beers you just by pass. Not sure why.. I'd say it definitely lives up to its BA score (91). Very solid beer. Some roasted notes. Creaminess and smooth. Im used to higher ABV more flavorful ISs, so this is a nice detour.; Reminds me a touch of the milk stouts out there.. Pretty interchangeable with other oatmeal stouts (marble oatmeal stout locally, FW Velvet Merlin, samuel smith OM stout, etc..), so I may stick with whatever I can find at that particular store.

Last edited:

I asked on UT Comparison Ford, but is Born Yesterday a one off? Will they do a born date of say 12/2 and make it a every 10-12 wk release? I get spoiled with freshness dates of just a week. The world going crazy for 3 weeks.

It says Limited (Brewed Once) on BeerAdvocate, but I'm not entirely sure how right that is.  If it is, that's a damn shame.  It should be a seasonal beer at the very least.

A true shame, I agree.. Maybe with all the love, they will rethink their position. Was that haul from CC.com? Once I jump in there, theres no going back. I'm on the fence for sure lol. Do they only ship ground service?

I'm hoping they re-release Born Yesterday. All the spots near me sold out in a day. And here I thought they would just be sitting there :smh:.

Last edited:
A true shame, I agree.. Maybe with all the love, they will rethink their position. Was that haul from CC.com? Once I jump in there, theres no going back. I'm on the fence for sure lol. Do they only ship ground service?
Yep.  They do 2-day air also, I believe...but shipping charges are most likely grotesque.

I've ordered from them 3 times now, first two times there were "THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS ALCOHOL* stickers all over the boxes and you needed to show ID and sign for the package.  This time there were no stickers and no signature/ID required.  Dude just plopped the box on my doorstep, rang the doorbell and dipped with the quickness.
laugh.gif

Snap a pose beer trade beers

A few trusty favorites. A could of new tries. Beer trades are an awrsomrexperience. I'll start fresh tomorrow. Nothing tonight

If you can't see photo, they
Westbrook Gose x 6
Captain Lawrence Captain's Reserve x 1
Prairie Standard x 1
Founders 2014 backwoods x 2
Jack abbys Mass Rising x 2
Bells Expedition Stout x 1
Duchesse de Bourgogne x 1

I'm very grateful for a great NE connect

Last edited:
Torst by McCarren Park in Greenpoint is easily the best craft beer bar in the Tri-State area.

Amazing Danish food too.  It's really a must-visit spot for anyone in the NYC area that likes craft beer.

The Cannibal on East 29th street in midtown also has a lot of really nice stuff on tap and in bottles/cans.  I like that their beer fridges line the walls as soon as you walk in the door and that you're allowed to look at the dates on the beers before ordering them.  Also has amazing food menu.

Thanks!

I give out a lot of rep in here! Hahaha!

I had that BLOOD orange in my hand and set it back down for some Peppermint Bark which was good. You can bet your *** I'm headed back for that blood orange.

And FYI, the Blackwoods Bastard is fantastic, thanks for the recommendation.

I had a Firestone Oatmeal Stout which was very good, as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom