NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

1BAF0593-51B1-48F1-AADD-3280DB73E4BD.jpeg

Grabbed these today.

Fully stocked for thanksgiving. Unfortunately I'll be in Alabama and will miss any chance of getting bcbs this year. Enjoy the festivities and stay safe.

IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG

Not a huge beer enthusiast, but I'm always open to trying new beers when I see them.

Recently had Ballast Point Sculpin grapefruit and pineapple. I wanted to try the normal one, but for whatever reason they only had a 6 pack of the regular and singles of the other 2.

Also picked up a 6 pack of Lost Coast Great White. It's alright. My taste buds aren't sophisticated when it comes to beer so Blue Moon >> Great White lol.

I gotta check this thread more often so I can see what's really good and what's trash lol.

Nice, if only my area can get the variants lol.

Cracked open even more coco jesus tonight. Nice beer. I can taste the coconut and maple syrup but its not overpowering.

Wholesaler that distributes GI in my area didn't get any BCBS this year or the last

Oh well, hopefully the wholesaler that carries Founders will have CBS later this week...my local distributor is supposed to get some and will be saving me a bottle

IMG_1443.JPG
Worker at one of the bottle shops saved me two bottles of the coffee variant this year.
Jealous. I haven't been able to get my hands on any this year, but a friend just texted me telling me he's pretty confident he can snag me "at least one bottle." How is it?

Jealous. I haven't been able to get my hands on any this year, but a friend just texted me telling me he's pretty confident he can snag me "at least one bottle." How is it?

It was good but I wasn't blown away. It was my first time having it. The coffee and bourbon flavors work really well together but it has a sweetness that I wasn't expecting.

Wholesaler that distributes GI in my area didn't get any BCBS this year or the last

Oh well, hopefully the wholesaler that carries Founders will have CBS later this week...my local distributor is supposed to get some and will be saving me a bottle

Sucks to hear man. I was headed to the SF Auto Show and decided to stop by a bottleshop nearby and got lucky. Lot's of places (TW, BevMo, WF, etc..) got regular but only select bottleshops received variants.

Looking forward to trying CBS though. Local WF near me should be getting it Tuesday.

I miss this **** man, gonna get my health in order so I can rejoin this guilt free.
I confronted this problem at the end of last year. I was never overweight/unhealthy, but I was starting to approach that territory. I made the choice to cut out junk food and start exercising in order to keep enjoying beer when I wanted to. Fortunately I've been disciplined enough to adhere to my goals. I'm back to being 6'1", 165 pounds and I'm able to allow myself a couple indulgences a week.

The biggest things that helped me were finding cardiovascular exercises and healthy foods that I could enjoy. I lived off a diet of baked chicken breast stuffed with a variety of ingredients (prosciutto/asparagus/garlic, pepperoni/asiago/sundried tomato, ham/swiss/dijon, etc.) with roasted vegetables and the occasional ribeye/NY strip steak mixed in for a decent amount of time. Also found that it was easy to find healthier ethnic options (Indian, Mediterranean, Japanese, etc.) when I wanted to divert from my regular diet.

Throughout this process I've found out that I love cycling. I ride at least 10 miles a day four times a week and even moreso in the warmer months. The colder months are a struggle, but a gym membership and a good playlist go a long way in terms of motivation when I'm on the stationary.

It's really all about discovering what works for you, but I hope this puts you in the right trajectory.

Cant believe I missed 2 pages of action. Totally not dead. I had a haul of about a case worth of Melvin/MT/Kings to drink after my short trip to SD. So I've been going deep into those before they get too old.
Melvins IPA and DIPA are more west coast focused. Malty, piney, chewy.
Dragoon IPA, is a citrus WC style IPA.. I think every city now has a WC citrus IBU driven bomb of a beer. It's basically Tucsons Elevated IPA
Kings, I talked about awhile back. I had some cans that I finished off. Very light mouthfeels, almost watered down NE style IPAS. If there is one thing that can get dull, its this style.. With every style now, there are great examples and not so great. This was right at that par level imho.

Modern Times impressed me the most. I probably spent the most money per ounce on their BBA nola devils teeth stout. Definitely on the dessert stout spectrum imho. Straight brownie juice lol.
Almost all of their IPAs have this sort of yeast/malt bite that I love. Its whats missing out of Kings beers. In total, I think I had 6 of their IPA/DIPAs and would love if they could be found around my way. They are definitely on the UP and UP

Nice hauls everyone
Comparison Ford Comparison Ford Honest question, do you ever get sick of the juicy smooth DIPAs? By case end, I felt I could never have that style again, and I would be happy. I guess its all about balance and context. They really do all start tasting like one another though. Each MT IPA had small details that made it feel a bit different (one had berry hop notes, the other more citrus etc..). But just the lack of bite and true flavor sort of got to me.
-------
Speaking of health, I am a few days away from another 50 day beer break, so I have been on a fridge cleaning spree.

Did a '16 vs '15 BCBS regular side by side, followed with some Lagunitas High West '16, and '16 KBS. That made for a very short evening the other night.
I passed on any Black Friday beer sales or deals.. Today, I had a TW $5 coupon to use up, and they happened to have about 8 cases of this years BCBS regular. I splurged on 1 @ $10.99 (with coupon $6). I'll drink it after my 50 days are up. They also had BW for $16 and Northwoods for $25. No way jose.

I had an old bottle of '15 FW Sucuba that was delightful (traded with someone from here. Cant remember who, Thanks again!)
kngpin88 kngpin88
Black note is great. It released around my way when I was out in SD. I thought I totally missed the boat on that one. TW happened to just be sitting on a case some 10 days later. I bought three 4 packs. No regrets. Great BBA stout. Speaking of other beers Ive had recently, BA 1050, I had one of as well. Great stuff. Only other retry that I'm missing from the multiples that I have is Parabola.

In other news, it looks like Founders CBS will have a nationwide release in 750ml bottles, and release overseas in 12oz. bottles very very soon. We know exactly what they are doing. I'm wondering If I will cave in for atleast one bottle. If its priced like KBS is in the bigger bottles, I don't think I can swing $40.

Locally, last friday, La Cumbre released a collab beer they did with Modern Times, with exclusively South African Hops (the last bits of what they had left before AB INBEV shut them down for this year. It's an 8% hazy IPA hopped with Southern Passion.
29f5irk.jpg

They didn't make a whole lot. Some 90 cases were sold out within 90 minutes. We've had some BF waits for BCBS in the past, and La Cumbre has stated their record is something like 37 cases of beer sold in a day. So this was the first hyped IPA that people actually missed out on if they werent in line within an hour of opening.. It makes me laugh because I know TH goes through 500 cases a day most days. But this is a different kind of Hype I guess. Some areas are just getting used to the style and the hype.. I hate lines, but if the beer is great, I may be a line waiter now.

The beer was well worth it though. Huge notes of passionfruit, guava, and papaya. A real gem of a beer. Other than the tap room, I want to say the Tucson and AZ area are having releases etc.. I think this releases falls under the la Cumbre distributor umbrella, so no go for CA.

Last edited:
Comparison Ford Comparison Ford Honest question, do you ever get sick of the juicy smooth DIPAs?
Honestly? No, not really. :rofl:

That's not to say that I can't appreciate other styles of IPAs (or other styles, in general), but something about the New England-style IPA just hits the spot for me. Now that I've acquired a wealth of Tree House beers it's only gotten worse.

Part of me sympathizes with the "they all taste the same" argument, and the other part couldn't care less. Think about how many people have their "go-to" beers that they drink again, and again, and again. They're not concerned with subtle nuance, they just like what they like and they like it because they like it.

I'm starting to enter that realm.

Sucks to hear man. I was headed to the SF Auto Show and decided to stop by a bottleshop nearby and got lucky. Lot's of places (TW, BevMo, WF, etc..) got regular but only select bottleshops received variants.

Looking forward to trying CBS though. Local WF near me should be getting it Tuesday.

Neo - you're in the south bay, right? Which WF is getting CBS on tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom