NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Round 2:

unnamed-6.jpg

Root & Branch The Crystal Spirit. Double IPA hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and El Dorado. This is the new Long Island jumpoff. This is the former head brewer of LIC Beer Project's brain child. First can release sold out in about an hour and a half. This one is really nice. Big tangerine peach notes with a super smooth finish. One of my friends referred to this as being reminiscent to "an excellent Grimm IPA" and I tend to agree. Looking forward to them setting up their own spot out here. A welcomed addition.

unnamed-7.jpg

Tree House Bright w/ Galaxy. This one was pretty tasty. Imagine a lighter/crisper version of Green. Not my favorite Tree House beer, but still worthy of a try.

unnamed-8.jpg

Tree House Human Condition. Milk Stout with coconut, caramel, and chocolate. Sounds very appealing but I was a little underwhelmed, honestly. Tastes like a very good sub 10% ABV stout. This might be a hair above locally accessible stouts in my area (FBS, Sand City Southdown), but not enough to actively seek this out.

unnamed-10.jpg

Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #4. Citra/Galaxy. This one was thrown to me by a generous trader. Really nice. Fruity, light, and crisp. An example of why Hill Farmstead is the best of the best. Holding onto my other can to see how it develops.

Finally, a revisit:
unnamed-9.jpg

There's been a lot of talk recently about how Tree House has "fallen off" since relocating to Charlton and expanding production. This batch of Green right here single-handedly squashes that notion. I've drank over a case of Green in the past year, and while it was always one of my favorite beers this is the first batch that made me say "Jesus Christ" after every sip. This is the best batch of any Tree House beer I've ever had. This is an 11/10. Unreal.

Reviews on deck: Tree House Impermanence, Hudson Valley Plumage, Hudson Valley Bloom, Other Half Panna e Fragole, Other Half x J. Wakefield Florida Plates 2.0, Other Half Citra+Azacca, Other Half DDH Space Daydream + More.

Cheers, NT!

What was the date on your Green can? I had one from early March last week and it was downright incredible. Legitimately top 5 beers I've ever had. Velvet is an understatement

Loving this juiceton...just enough hops...my first brewery release as well..pretty stoked...

20180407_175217.jpg

20180407_175205.jpg

Fresh stuff...

2553593B-1CBA-4AB8-8BA7-46FF19D9F45E.jpeg
Finally got my hands on 2018 KBS...never had the previous releases. Thought it was gonna be amazing but IMO doesn't live up to the hype. Bourbon is not strong enough and a tad too sweet. I wish KBS had that strong bourbon flavor and bite like Backwoods Bastard. I prefer BA Victory at Sea over KBS considering I paid 7bux a bottle.

2553593B-1CBA-4AB8-8BA7-46FF19D9F45E.jpeg
Finally got my hands on 2018 KBS...never had the previous releases. Thought it was gonna be amazing but IMO doesn't live up to the hype. Bourbon is not strong enough and a tad too sweet. I wish KBS had that strong bourbon flavor and bite like Backwoods Bastard. I prefer BA Victory at Sea over KBS considering I paid 7bux a bottle.
Hard for me to spend $20+ for a bomber or $26 for a four pack when guys like the Bruery and Bottle Logic charge that much for significantly better BBA stouts.

My go to distribution BBA Stout is Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout. $14 for a 4 pack is perfect

Mo' beer reviews coming your way:

unnamed.jpg

An old classic revisited. Honestly? I think I'm over barrel-aged beers. This was fine, but not something I'd buy again. Funny, because this was a beer I loaded up on/actively sought out a few years back. After a ton of exploration in the world of craft beer I've become immersed in the pastryarchy. This has its place, and its still world-class for the style...it's just not up my alley.

unnamed-1.jpg

Other Half x Crak Panna e Fragole. Crak is some Italian brewery that I know nothing about. This one is a spelt/cream IPA brewed with Citra, Hallertau Blanc, Huell Melon, orange blossom honey, and strawberries. Sounds like this could be something close to a Hudson Valley creation, but the strawberry is pretty subdued. Present, but not overwhelming. Kind of just tastes like your average Other Half IPA with strawberries. That might not sound flattering on paper, but it's pretty tasty. This one would have benefited with the addition of lactose though.

unnamed-2.jpg

Tree House Impermanence. 9% Milk stout with coffee, chocolate and maple syrup. Basically Good Morning 2.0. I so badly wanted to say that this beer didn't live up to the hype, but this one made a monkey out of me. Notice the color: this is straight up brown. This tastes like it looks. Imagine perfectly blended flavors of fudge, cold brew coffee, and maple. This is one of the only maple stouts I've ever had that actually tastes like maple rather than generic sweetness. Big, chewy mouthfeel on this. I have another bottle of this and I'm reluctant to crack it open because I don't want it to be gone forever. Best Tree House stout I've ever had.

unnamed-3.jpg

Hudson Valley Bloom. 8% Sour DIPA with their usual base, only this has cherries, dark chocolate, chamomile, and is hopped with Citra and Simcoe. Sounds weird because it is. Sometimes weird isn't bad though. This is actually pretty tasty. Really weird to have a sour IPA where the dark chocolate shines through, but it works. These combinations seem so random, but I'm certain they test small batches before releasing these to the public. Didn't blow my mind, but didn't disappoint either.

unnamed-4.jpg

Hudson Valley Plumage. 8% Sour DIPA with their usual base, ruby red grapefruit, white chocolate, peppermint, and hopped with El Dorado and Azacca. Another strange combo. This one arguably doesn't work as well with the peppermint addition, but it's not really off-putting. The peppermint is there, but not to the point of making this taste like toothpaste/mouthwash. Not something I would ever load up on, but a can or two to try is nice. Aging my other can in hopes that the peppermint mellows a bit and rounds the beer out. I'll report back.

unnamed-5.jpg

MBC Dinner. I've been wanting to try this beer for a few years now. After finally trying it I can say with confidence the hype is unwarranted. This tastes like a really good shelf IPA, but there are shelfies out there that I think are better than this (Captain's Daughter, for instance). One thing I will say about this beer is that it's insanely drinkable for the ABV. This might be due in part to the fact that it tastes a bit watered down compared to a lot of NE-style IPAs, which is something that can be said about a lot of MBC beers.

unnamed-6.jpg

Other Half x J. Wakefield Florida Plates 2. Spelt Cream IPA with passionfruit, peach, Citra & Galaxy. This beer has been getting a lot of mixed reviews and I understand why. I personally didn't really mind it. This beer presents itself as advertised. Drinks like a cream soda mixed with fruit juice. Very much in line with a lot of what I've had from J. Wakefield. Another beer I wouldn't load up on, but enjoyed the can I had for what it is.

unnamed-7.jpg

Other Half Citra+Azacca. This one is another middle-of-the road OH IPA. A little more acidic/astringent than their usual fare, but not too far off. Generic tropical fruits/juiciness. Drinkable. Good beer by any standard, just not their best.

unnamed-8.jpg

Other Half DDH Space Daydream. Pretty much the Galaxy version of DDH Double Citra Daydream. This one is nice, but I don't think Galaxy plays off of the lactose as well as Citra does. Maybe it's due to the "sharpness" of the hop? Citra+lactose tastes like hop candy, whereas the Galaxy overpowered it. The can probably needed a little more time, but I don't have any more so the world may never know.

No "on deck" beers at the moment. Still have a mixed case of Tree House in my fridge and want to do some clearing-out for the upcoming OH x Equilibrium collab. Not mad about it. My wallet could use the breather. :lol:

Having fun out here in California. I visited Monkish, Smogcity, Mumford and Mikkeller DTLA. Also had some of the best tacos I've ever had at tacos lupita in Lincoln Heights. Now I need to figure out how I'm brining all this stuff back haha.

IMG_1832.JPG

That Bluet from Smog was crazy good. Haven't had this years batch, but I did have the "sneak peak" at last year's anniversary.
Windy Hill from Mikkeller is really good for a shelfie hazy IPA.
Glad you are having a good time.

IMG_1848.JPG

Actually sipping on a windy hill now while watching the NBA playoffs. Definitely enjoyed my time in LA and I'll be back soon. Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread.

IMG_1848.JPG

Actually sipping on a windy hill now while watching the NBA playoffs. Definitely enjoyed my time in LA and I'll be back soon. Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread.
Nice glassware. Tap & Barrel is the spot. I grew up in Smithtown and Tap played a huge role in my love for craft beer. It was the first place I was able to try Heady Topper, so the rest is history from there.

Mikkeller SD sells the 4 packs of Windy Hill for $10. One of the best deals out there.

Just picked up the Lagunitas Waldo. Damn it's syrupy (in a bad way).

Nice glassware. Tap & Barrel is the spot. I grew up in Smithtown and Tap played a huge role in my love for craft beer. It was the first place I was able to try Heady Topper, so the rest is history from there.

Thanks, they always have a good selection on tap and in cans. Plan on visiting in June when I come back to NY.

Went to Colorado this weekend...some good stuff out there. .

20180416_202226.jpg

Good n you
Springdale beer
20180415_194824.jpg

Galaxy hopper pale ale
Holidaily brewery (gluten free)

20180415_200138.jpg

Randys ipa / Riva stout
Holidaily brewery (gluten free)

20180414_222158.jpg

Golden haze
New terrain brewery

20180416_131927.jpg

Escape to colorado ipa
Epic brewing

No picture
Juicy banger
Station 26 brewery

My Zion ipa
Mountain toad brewery

Graham cracker porter
Denver beer brewery

IMG_1868.PNG

I see some fools trying to sell on the secondary market for $100+ a can haha. I've had Julius and I can't imagine it being that much better.

Something sour for tonight. Orpheus Noise & Flesh Blackberry.

Back
Top Bottom