Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

after last years horrible start, this 3-1 start is a breath of fresh air.

what i'm impressed with is 2-0 on the road. the bengals aren't as bad as people thought they would be and the philly win is impressive. especially when you consider the 49ers were 2-6 on the road in 09 and 1-7 last year.

if they can beat the bucs and go to 4-1 i'll be feeling warm and tingly inside.

after last years horrible start, this 3-1 start is a breath of fresh air.

what i'm impressed with is 2-0 on the road. the bengals aren't as bad as people thought they would be and the philly win is impressive. especially when you consider the 49ers were 2-6 on the road in 09 and 1-7 last year.

if they can beat the bucs and go to 4-1 i'll be feeling warm and tingly inside.

pimp.gif
the coaching has made a huge difference thus far. yesterday's game was a game the 49ers would have gave up and lost under Singletary and end up losing 41-10.

I knew of the Stanford-USC game parallel too
laugh.gif
, when the Eagles had 23 points I was completely thinking the same thing...

pimp.gif
the coaching has made a huge difference thus far. yesterday's game was a game the 49ers would have gave up and lost under Singletary and end up losing 41-10.

laugh.gif

Watching the Bucs struggle with Indy tonight gives me a lot of confidence going into next week.

We just have to make sure we limit Blount's yards after the first hit, and I am pretty sure our lineman and linebackers will do just fine as usual.

They whooped our ##% last year, hopefully we can get a little redemption this time around and get the W.

Watching the Bucs struggle with Indy tonight gives me a lot of confidence going into next week.

We just have to make sure we limit Blount's yards after the first hit, and I am pretty sure our lineman and linebackers will do just fine as usual.

They whooped our ##% last year, hopefully we can get a little redemption this time around and get the W.

Originally Posted by acidicality

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
i agree.  if this was under singletary, the result would be predictable playcalling and falling behind big and still playing predictable.

having a decent coach out there makes a huge difference.  the team is actually playing decent too.  i mean decent as in actually looking like a respectable team, not just looking good because the division is crap and their the best thing in it by default.

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
i agree.  if this was under singletary, the result would be predictable playcalling and falling behind big and still playing predictable.

having a decent coach out there makes a huge difference.  the team is actually playing decent too.  i mean decent as in actually looking like a respectable team, not just looking good because the division is crap and their the best thing in it by default.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Word Sing would have continued to run the ball and the clock down when the score was 23-3
laugh.gif

And yeah we've only played 1 team from our division so far this year so it cant even be said that's the reason for our solid record thus far.

Should be a good one this weekend, hopefully we *%!$ them up for last year. That was flat out embarassing

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Word Sing would have continued to run the ball and the clock down when the score was 23-3
laugh.gif

And yeah we've only played 1 team from our division so far this year so it cant even be said that's the reason for our solid record thus far.

Should be a good one this weekend, hopefully we *%!$ them up for last year. That was flat out embarassing

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

When Alex Smith saw an Eagles cornerback and safety blitzing from his right side in the third quarter Sunday, he knew exactly what to do.He dropped back three steps and fired a dart to wide receiver Joshua Morgan, who sprinted untouched into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown. The score was San Francisco's first big step in erasing a 20-point Eagles lead.

Last year, that play wouldn't have been nearly as automatic.

When a defense blitzed, 49ers receivers were required to break off their original routes. Smith had to interpret what the receiver was thinking. The receivers had to guess what the quarterback was thinking. And all that mind reading led to mistakes.

"Last year he had so much going on, so much that they put on Alex's mind when it came to the blitz," Morgan said. " … They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes they'd get it wrong. Sometimes they'd get it right. When you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job, then you've got miscommunication."

This year, the 49ers' response to blitzes is simpler and reflective of a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who used to be an NFL quarterback. The receivers continue to run their original route and leave it up to the quarterback to decide where to throw it.

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

When Alex Smith saw an Eagles cornerback and safety blitzing from his right side in the third quarter Sunday, he knew exactly what to do.He dropped back three steps and fired a dart to wide receiver Joshua Morgan, who sprinted untouched into the end zone for a 30-yard touchdown. The score was San Francisco's first big step in erasing a 20-point Eagles lead.

Last year, that play wouldn't have been nearly as automatic.

When a defense blitzed, 49ers receivers were required to break off their original routes. Smith had to interpret what the receiver was thinking. The receivers had to guess what the quarterback was thinking. And all that mind reading led to mistakes.

"Last year he had so much going on, so much that they put on Alex's mind when it came to the blitz," Morgan said. " … They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes they'd get it wrong. Sometimes they'd get it right. When you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job, then you've got miscommunication."

This year, the 49ers' response to blitzes is simpler and reflective of a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who used to be an NFL quarterback. The receivers continue to run their original route and leave it up to the quarterback to decide where to throw it.

Huge upgrade at QB. A mediocre WR for a hurt one and a downgrade at RB which you are already strong at. Not as far off as you are making it out to be, but thats fine.

Huge upgrade at QB. A mediocre WR for a hurt one and a downgrade at RB which you are already strong at. Not as far off as you are making it out to be, but thats fine.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]49ers notes: Tampa Bay backup QB Johnson like 'a son' to Harbaugh[/h1]

By Matthew Barrows
mbarrows@sacbee.com

Published: Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 - 12:00 am| Page 3C

SANTA CLARA – Josh Johnson returns to the Bay Area this weekend in an enemy uniform, but don't be surprised if he gets a big pregame hug from Jim Harbaugh.

Johnson, the Buccaneers' backup quarterback, played for Harbaugh at the University of San Diego, and Harbaugh has spoken fondly – very fondly – about Johnson since. Harbaugh even called Johnson, who grew up in Oakland, "the beloved son" during an appearance this week on KNBR (680 AM).

"Knowing the competitor Josh is, we'll say hi before the game, give each other a big hug," Harbaugh said. "Then he'll walk away and try to gouge our eyes out. He's like the beloved son. And I hope he doesn't beat us. We'll be trying to gouge his eyes out, too."

Johnson, who played for Harbaugh from 2004 to 2006, left as one of the most accurate passers in NCAA history. Wide receiver John Matthews, added to the 49ers' practice squad this week, was one of Johnson's targets with the Toreros.

"He's got all the ability," Matthews said. "But the thing that I think separated him were his intangibles – his competitiveness, he's a humble guy, likes to spread the ball around and get everyone involved. He's a leader. He leads by example. He just found ways to win."

Johnson, selected by the Buccaneers in the fifth round of the 2008 draft, has been Josh Freeman's backup for the past two seasons. Johnson also was a prolific rusher at San Diego, and Tampa Bay uses him as an occasional Wildcat option. He ran the ball once for eight yards in Monday's win over Indianapolis.

Johnson's background with Harbaugh, and the coach's consistent praise, led to speculation in the offseason the 49ers would try to trade for Johnson. Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris this week declined to say whether Tampa Bay received offers for Johnson during the offseason.

Johnson is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, as is 49ers starting quarterback Alex Smith, who is off to his best season in seven years.

The 49ers also used a second-round pick this year on a quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, who has many of the same traits as Johnson.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/08/3968686/49ers-notes-tampa-bay-backup-qb.html#ixzz1aCeotzbX

Next years QB pick up?

Back
Top Bottom