Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

[h1][/h1]
[h1]49ers notes: Tampa Bay backup QB Johnson like 'a son' to Harbaugh[/h1]

By Matthew Barrows
mbarrows@sacbee.com

Published: Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 - 12:00 am| Page 3C

SANTA CLARA – Josh Johnson returns to the Bay Area this weekend in an enemy uniform, but don't be surprised if he gets a big pregame hug from Jim Harbaugh.

Johnson, the Buccaneers' backup quarterback, played for Harbaugh at the University of San Diego, and Harbaugh has spoken fondly – very fondly – about Johnson since. Harbaugh even called Johnson, who grew up in Oakland, "the beloved son" during an appearance this week on KNBR (680 AM).

"Knowing the competitor Josh is, we'll say hi before the game, give each other a big hug," Harbaugh said. "Then he'll walk away and try to gouge our eyes out. He's like the beloved son. And I hope he doesn't beat us. We'll be trying to gouge his eyes out, too."

Johnson, who played for Harbaugh from 2004 to 2006, left as one of the most accurate passers in NCAA history. Wide receiver John Matthews, added to the 49ers' practice squad this week, was one of Johnson's targets with the Toreros.

"He's got all the ability," Matthews said. "But the thing that I think separated him were his intangibles – his competitiveness, he's a humble guy, likes to spread the ball around and get everyone involved. He's a leader. He leads by example. He just found ways to win."

Johnson, selected by the Buccaneers in the fifth round of the 2008 draft, has been Josh Freeman's backup for the past two seasons. Johnson also was a prolific rusher at San Diego, and Tampa Bay uses him as an occasional Wildcat option. He ran the ball once for eight yards in Monday's win over Indianapolis.

Johnson's background with Harbaugh, and the coach's consistent praise, led to speculation in the offseason the 49ers would try to trade for Johnson. Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris this week declined to say whether Tampa Bay received offers for Johnson during the offseason.

Johnson is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, as is 49ers starting quarterback Alex Smith, who is off to his best season in seven years.

The 49ers also used a second-round pick this year on a quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, who has many of the same traits as Johnson.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/08/3968686/49ers-notes-tampa-bay-backup-qb.html#ixzz1aCeotzbX

Next years QB pick up?

Did Frank really need to go on ESPN and say the Eagles quit. 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

what frank said doesnt bug me at all.

besides, they alrdy played the eagles. its cool.
laugh.gif
Better hope they dont face em in the playoffs then

laugh.gif
Philly ain't making the playoffs

They gotta go 9-3 the rest of the way

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KingJames23

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Too early to think that with all their potential and their remaining schedule.  A wild card card berth, hell their division isnt out of sight yet, and barring injuries anything could go.  its just too early.  

Originally Posted by KingJames23

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Too early to think that with all their potential and their remaining schedule.  A wild card card berth, hell their division isnt out of sight yet, and barring injuries anything could go.  its just too early.  

Originally Posted by offbad

doubt it, if Alex is playing at this rate.
As someone who wasn't opposed to bringing him back this year, I really hope they move in a new direction next year regardless of what kind of stats he puts up this year

Originally Posted by offbad

doubt it, if Alex is playing at this rate.
As someone who wasn't opposed to bringing him back this year, I really hope they move in a new direction next year regardless of what kind of stats he puts up this year

Seems like the Seahawks are the only other team in the division who actually has a chance of competing with us.

Seems like the Seahawks are the only other team in the division who actually has a chance of competing with us.

Back
Top Bottom