• UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
0222B90B-4E6E-49BC-B262-5DA6052BBBC2.jpeg

I feel like I seriously need to dwindle down my collection (this is honestly embarrassingly just a small part of it) but I have trouble deciding what DS pairs to keep. What are you guys’ strategies on keeping DS pairs?

It's not embarrassing bro, you're good.

I ONLY keep and cop stuff that I KNOW I will wear, I may not wear them this month or even this year but I WILL wear them eventually. IF you know for a FACT that you will NOT wear them, I would either sell them for cash OR trade them for something limited/rare that you want but you can't justify spending the funds on.

For example, I want SF 1's, they're around $2,300 in my size. I won't spend $2,300 on a pair of sneakers BUT if I had a DS Bred 1 and DS Chicago double that I acquired for retail, I would trade.

I passed on Royal Toes and Smoke Greys because I just won't wear them.

In fact I do! I was once an addict (not going into detail)....addiction is a physical and/or mental dependency on something(insert whatever you want)... do your research

We cop kicks, miss some, sell some, trade some, etc..... the last time I checked, a sneaker purchase (or lack there of) didn't make a difference to someone's physical or mental health (read it slowly, multiple times if needed, it may take some a while to get it).

Are we EMOTIONALLY attached to kicks? SURE, but emotional attachment or any other synonym that you would like to use is NOT an addiction.

IF you can move on past a release because you were unable to cop (doesn't matter if it's due to financial reasons, availability, etc...) you are NOT an addict. On the other hand, IF you are pawning your relatives belongings, selling your body, or any other extreme/irresponsible measures to obtain funds to purchase sneakers then you ARE in fact an addict. I've PERSONALLY NEVER seen or heard of ANYONE taking such extreme measures to purchase shoes but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. If you have a story, please share it but I don't believe that anyone on this forum or in the community is an addict. Addiction is VERY real and anyone that has gone through can understand where I'm coming from.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I don't have problem with that. I'm here to learn. Enlighten me.....
I’m not saying anyone here is addicted to sneakers - maybe there are, I dunno. I’m just saying when you said addicts can not live without it, that’s not true

I’m not saying anyone here is addicted to sneakers - maybe there are, I dunno. I’m just saying when you said addicts can not live without it, that’s not true

I pray that you, your loved ones or anyone that you know NEVER have to experience true addiction. Some things are only understood after first hand experience.

Peace and blessings fam!

Back to 1's......

In fact I do! I was once an addict (not going into detail)....addiction is a physical and/or mental dependency on something(insert whatever you want)... do your research

We cop kicks, miss some, sell some, trade some, etc..... the last time I checked, a sneaker purchase (or lack there of) didn't make a difference to someone's physical or mental health (read it slowly, multiple times if needed, it may take some a while to get it).

Are we EMOTIONALLY attached to kicks? SURE, but emotional attachment or any other synonym that you would like to use is NOT an addiction.

IF you can move on past a release because you were unable to cop (doesn't matter if it's due to financial reasons, availability, etc...) you are NOT an addict. On the other hand, IF you are pawning your relatives belongings, selling your body, or any other extreme/irresponsible measures to obtain funds to purchase sneakers then you ARE in fact an addict. I've PERSONALLY NEVER seen or heard of ANYONE taking such extreme measures to purchase shoes but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. If you have a story, please share it but I don't believe that anyone on this forum or in the community is an addict. Addiction is VERY real and anyone that has gone through can understand where I'm coming from.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I don't have problem with that. I'm here to learn. Enlighten me.....

Interesting perspective-thanks for sharing!

If copping sneakers is negatively affecting someone’s life be it financial, emotional (i.e. family/relationships, etc.), etc. etc. would it just be an emotional problem and actually not an addiction? I’ve actually wondered this after watching that My Strange Addicition episode a few years ago about that woman who bought a ton of shoes:

Spring 2021.
12EFA443-619B-4402-B5B1-3F5FF5CD309C.jpeg

We were soooo close to OG Black/Whites, but JB had to throw in the silver accents and black tongue as a **** you.

Still in though.

haha yep but you know they’re trying to sell you both pairs lol

On the plus side, maybe B/Ws will get an 85 retro? (hopefully with more stock with the respective release, by then)

Damn sorry to hear the collection was jacked. My place was broken into as well so I definitely feel the pain of having your stuff stolen. What sucked especially was all the wife's jewelry and handbags that were stolen since that probably added up to way more than my sneakers.

Off on a tangent

I know we can’t live in this constant fear of losing things (lost/stolen/damaged, etc.) and we should enjoy what we have...but that is the same reason why I go through times where I wanna minimize everything I got to bare basics...I’ve come to realize how little of importance material things are.

Interesting perspective-thanks for sharing!

If copping sneakers is negatively affecting someone’s life be it financial, emotional (i.e. family/relationships, etc.), etc. etc. would it just be an emotional problem and actually not an addiction? I’ve actually wondered this after watching that My Strange Addicition episode a few years ago about that woman who bought a ton of shoes:

I'm not a licensed therapist (not being a smart ***, just saying..) but I can speak from the both the perspective of an addict and from that of helping a loved one going through addiction.

EVERYTHING that we do or do not do is rooted in emotion. Often times that emotion or feeling that we get from doing something becomes addictive/attractive. Who doesn't like to win? Who doesn't like to satisfy a craving? We do things that we enjoy because it makes us FEEL good. We're attracted to the FEELING, it's an emotional attachment. Sneakers, food, music, etc... are conduits. They're simply vessels that we use to achieve the feeling of gratification, accomplishment, etc...

Now, if your vessels are beginning to have as what some would PERCEIVE as a negative affect on different aspects of your life, you may have to reevaluate and reprioritize what's most important. I say PERCEIVE because others are quick to judge and criticize because they don't agree or understand. IF you stop buying sneakers to make someone else happy and in turn, your happiness is affected negatively, it will affect you emotionally.

For example, if purchasing sneakers, clothes, etc.. is causing an argument between you and partner because they think that it's "stupid" (or whatever), the purchasing may not be the issue, but the lack or understanding, respect and communication could be a deeper rooted issue that needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, if you're facing foreclosure or repossession due to irresponsibly handling money, or living beyond your means to purchase kicks, then it might be time to reevaluate your priorities. Neither of these scenarios would require medication or therapy to resolve because you're not physically or mentally DEPENDENT on purchasing kicks. You're not purchasing kicks EVERY day because you can't think straight without it or you physically feel ill when you don't hit a raffle.

Addiction is also rooted in emotion. It begins as something that we use to achieve a feeling as well. The difference is that addiction affects EVERY facet of your life, physically and mentally. Addiction is daily, constant, and everything that you do is SOLELY motivated and controlled by seeking to satisfy THAT craving. It's a never-ending desire that cannot be fulfilled and REQUIRES medication and/or therapy to eliminate or get control of.

There are FUNCTIONING addicts and MOST addicts often go to great lengths to conceal their addiction in fear of judgement.

I apologize for the long post. If I'm wrong, please correct and enlighten me. I hope that I was able to successfully answer/address your question.

Peace and blessings to everyone!

How many pairs of shoes does the average NTer own I wonder... and how do you all store them? Do you have a room just for your shoes and clothes?

I have around 100 pairs of shoes, 90% of which are Js. My walk in closet is almost completely full, I think I have room for 8 more pairs. I have been selling out quite a few pairs lately so I think once I hit that limit, if I can't sell off something else to make room for it then I don't need it.

Also team #retailorbust all day I don't care what shoe it is I will never pay above retail for it.

I do think I will have a room/closet though if I end up getting a 4 bedroom house.
I have around 200. I love shoes (why else would I need that many damn pairs), but not walking has enabled me to have and rock shoes without them ever really wearing, and my collection spans over 20 years. Like 5 or 6 of my pairs have some yellowing/oxidizing, as those were pairs I wore all the time (in the rain that we get all the time here in Seattle). But now I have so many, and rotate pairs often, so none really oxidize like that. I have gotten rid of pairs over the years that I don't wear anymore, and now my collection is like 45% Dunks, 45% Js, 9% assorted Nikes (Lebrons, Kobe, Air Tech Challenge 2s, and others), and like 1% non Nike or Jordan. I have a walk-in closet and the whole next to to the wall is basically a wall of shoes in boxes. I commend those that cut their collections down, because I can't. Unless it's a pair I know I for sure won't ever wear again ever, or an older version of something that re-releases and the newer release is even better than the older rendition, I keep everything else. I just have the mentality that I'll want to wear a pair one day, and I can't get rid of unique pairs. I guess that's also the slight hoarder mentality I have with things.

0222B90B-4E6E-49BC-B262-5DA6052BBBC2.jpeg

I feel like I seriously need to dwindle down my collection (this is honestly embarrassingly just a small part of it) but I have trouble deciding what DS pairs to keep. What are you guys’ strategies on keeping DS pairs?
Don't get rid of them. You will regret it. Unless you have doubles. The price just keeps going up.

At least it ain’t the trash 85 mold
You think the '85 build is bad? I personally like it, but It's not mind blowing or anything. The issue for me with the '85s that've dropped is that the colorways are super uninspired (and not that good in general) IMO, and the leather seems super hard and stiff. The build itself though (cut, outsole, shape, and related features) seems dope. The '85 build/mold, but with 2011 Banned leather, would be *** amazing! Even using the usual, softer leather we're familiar with on the current Jordan 1, would be better IMO.

Nah bro
Are you an addict or know any? Addicts CAN and DO live and go on without the thing they are addicted to, that’s what recovery is about. You can be addicted to drugs or alcohol but if you can get better, you go on to live ya life without those things, still as an addict.
Problem with us is an alcoholic can avoid alcohol, we gotta still wear our addictions!

Problem with us is an alcoholic can avoid alcohol, we gotta still wear our addictions!

Yep, and they be fresh af! It's hard to bump an addiction when it pretty much deals with accumulating nice things in massive quantities. The thing is many people need to find their max capacity because the thirst is never ending. I would loathe myself if I had as many pairs as Mayor, The Perfect Pair, DJ Big Boy Cheng, DJ Clark Kent or others. That's just too many to try to rock in a life time. Granted, for some it's a very bankable lifestyle if you got the right pairs and multiples.

Yep, and they be fresh af! It's hard to bump an addiction when it pretty much deals with accumulating nice things in massive quantities. The thing is many people need to find their max capacity because the thirst is never ending. I would loathe myself if I had as many pairs as Mayor, The Perfect Pair, DJ Big Boy Cheng, DJ Clark Kent or others. That's just too many to try to rock in a life time. Granted, for some it's a very bankable lifestyle if you got the right pairs and multiples.
I‘m not a reseller, but I do move out shoes I’m no longer wearing, or thought I loved and my tastes changed. Made about $4k in “profit” last year, which I immediately invested into “Acquisitions”.

I‘m not a reseller, but I do move out shoes I’m no longer wearing, or thought I loved and my tastes changed. Made about $4k in “profit” last year, which I immediately invested into “Acquisitions”.

Same, I sold all my used pairs last year, all a sz 12 and made about 3-4k. It was amazing and it was nothing but 1's a few with box and others without. If I did that now with hype and prices being in the ridiculous range I'd probably easily make 6-7k. Used Chicago's alone going for 900+ on GOAT

Same, I sold all my used pairs last year, all a sz 12 and made about 3-4k. It was amazing and it was nothing but 1's a few with box and others without. If I did that now with hype and prices being in the ridiculous range I'd probably easily make 6-7k. Used Chicago's alone going for 900+ on GOAT
Craziness

Back
Top Bottom