Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

Wearing fitted suits or fitted clothes in general takes getting used to. In middle school and early high school, I used to wear baggy clothes and when Iswtiched it up it did irritate me a bit. It takes time but that is the proper way to wear a suit. Raja's first look is horrible, he is practically swimmingin it. Steve Harvey suits are horrible plain and simple. Trust me, even NBA players are starting to get the idea. The All-Star game this year was a bigsurprise.

As for highly altered, what I meant was when magazine or websites do photoshoots like that, their clothes are always altered to be more fitted. This isnotorious in runway shows as well. Those suits, are altered to fit those models and I can almost gurantee that if you go to Macys and pick up a Kenneth Cole orCK suit right out of the rack and try it on, even in your correct size and even if you are built like those models, it will not look like that. The jacketswasit will need to be taken in, the pants will probably need to be taken in (most of those brands doesn't make pants fit like that), sleeves will have tobe shortened (thats a given) and the drop as well. All I'm saying is, even though it's a <$500 suit, it will still need to be altered, a lot.Sometimes to a point that it is not possible to some tailors. I would suggest getting a $900-$1200 suit that is on sale for around $300-$500. Z Zegna is one ofmy most recommended in that area. The fit great OTR and can usually be bought for $400-$500.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Wearing fitted suits or fitted clothes in general takes getting used to. In middle school and early high school, I used to wear baggy clothes and when I swtiched it up it did irritate me a bit. It takes time but that is the proper way to wear a suit. Raja's first look is horrible, he is practically swimming in it. Steve Harvey suits are horrible plain and simple. Trust me, even NBA players are starting to get the idea. The All-Star game this year was a big surprise.

As for highly altered, what I meant was when magazine or websites do photoshoots like that, their clothes are always altered to be more fitted. This is notorious in runway shows as well. Those suits, are altered to fit those models and I can almost gurantee that if you go to Macys and pick up a Kenneth Cole or CK suit right out of the rack and try it on, even in your correct size and even if you are built like those models, it will not look like that. The jackets wasit will need to be taken in, the pants will probably need to be taken in (most of those brands doesn't make pants fit like that), sleeves will have to be shortened (thats a given) and the drop as well. All I'm saying is, even though it's a <$500 suit, it will still need to be altered, a lot. Sometimes to a point that it is not possible to some tailors. I would suggest getting a $900-$1200 suit that is on sale for around $300-$500. Z Zegna is one of my most recommended in that area. The fit great OTR and can usually be bought for $400-$500.

Ok I see what you're saying. I actually have a Zenga and I really like the fit. I was suprised how good it felt coming OTR.

I see that you're a watch(or timepiece) man as well. I'm still trying to learn about those myself. I might have to hit you up with some questionsif you don't mind.

Nothing feels worse than wearing a "baggy" suit. My first suit was one of those typical mens wearhouse cheap boxy suits. The fit was terrible. thepants were so big, they just felt unconfortable. Everyone around here wears slim, fitted suits, so I felt like a old man when I wore my suit. Once I got a nicefitted one, man it felt so good.

they sell most of the suits those models have on, at overstock.com. For example, this Nautica sharkskin wool one is 169$ I have to try one on in a store first.I'm looking at Apollo Ono's picture, and you can see dude's quadriceps, all 4 of them, quite noticably. My quads probably aren't as big as his,but I'm way bigger than those 5'7 120ass frailbody models. I don't remember the last time I wore a suit anyways, but now that I'm about tostart applying more for careers than jobs, I probably need to get back into it

U
P11209526.jpg

this is a great thread i need some help i am attending a friends sweet 16 tomorrow i bought a grey vest i have black shoes but i don't have a black shirtwhat color shirt can i wear with it?

Originally Posted by GrizztheBoss

this is a great thread i need some help i am attending a friends sweet 16 tomorrow i bought a grey vest i have black shoes but i don't have a black shirt what color shirt can i wear with it?

Whats the vest look like? Pants?

Also, I don't know how anyone else feels, but I would NEVER wear a black shirt to anything. Not even a funeral. But thats just me.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Wearing fitted suits or fitted clothes in general takes getting used to. In middle school and early high school, I used to wear baggy clothes and when I swtiched it up it did irritate me a bit. It takes time but that is the proper way to wear a suit. Raja's first look is horrible, he is practically swimming in it. Steve Harvey suits are horrible plain and simple. Trust me, even NBA players are starting to get the idea. The All-Star game this year was a big surprise.

As for highly altered, what I meant was when magazine or websites do photoshoots like that, their clothes are always altered to be more fitted. This is notorious in runway shows as well. Those suits, are altered to fit those models and I can almost gurantee that if you go to Macys and pick up a Kenneth Cole or CK suit right out of the rack and try it on, even in your correct size and even if you are built like those models, it will not look like that. The jackets wasit will need to be taken in, the pants will probably need to be taken in (most of those brands doesn't make pants fit like that), sleeves will have to be shortened (thats a given) and the drop as well. All I'm saying is, even though it's a <$500 suit, it will still need to be altered, a lot. Sometimes to a point that it is not possible to some tailors. I would suggest getting a $900-$1200 suit that is on sale for around $300-$500. Z Zegna is one of my most recommended in that area. The fit great OTR and can usually be bought for $400-$500.
I totally feel you but, its only an extra $ 20 -50 to get your suit altered. If its impossible for a tailor take in a suit, you got to big of asize.

I see that you're a watch(or timepiece) man as well. I'm still trying to learn about those myself. I might have to hit you up with some questions if you don't mind.
I know a few things about watches but I am no expert.

this is a great thread i need some help i am attending a friends sweet 16 tomorrow i bought a grey vest i have black shoes but i don't have a black shirt what color shirt can i wear with it?
When it comes to sweet 16, if your part of the whole thing, you will have to wear a color that matches everyone else. So my suggestion is wearsomething that contrast what they are wearing to stand out but not black. I'm assuming you're going to wear a suit with it? What color will the suitbe?

I totally feel you but, its only an extra $ 20 -50 to get your suit altered. If its impossible for a tailor take in a suit, you got to big of a size.
It's true that $20-$50 to get a suit altered but for the most part, that is just adjusting the sleeves. I always say, to get the right sizefor the suit, make sure it fits in the shoulders correctly. With that said, those suits shown that are under $500, even if it fits perfectly in the shoulder,the jackets waist will not and at that part, the tailor could only do so much. The same with the pants that will go with it, most of them will be too baggy orthe waist is too big. The rule of thumb is you can't alter the pants waist size any more than 1.5 size down I believe, it might be less. Altering it tomore than 1.5 size and the pants will nto look right. You don't want to get the pants taken in by the thighs and calves either, most tailors won't beable to do it right. All those alterations for most of those suits can cost you an extra $150-$300 depending on the tailor.

The only suit from that list that I know would fit good is the H&M. But remember, you get what you pay for and most of those suits are cotton. Cottonwrinkles faster and has a different feel compared to wool. Target's rayon blend is even worst. But I guess I am missing the point, as long as you try tofind one that fits best and wear dress shoes with a suit, even at those prices, then anyone would be one step ahead of about 80%-90% of people out there, evensome of those who wear suits regularly.

I just got 2 watches in the mail... a Lucien Piccard 'Magnifito' and an Elini Nazar 'Lucky Eye'...

both with black leather bands... the Elini has .8 carats in Diamonds on it.. ill post up some pics sometime.. i wont be home until tuesday though

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I just got 2 watches in the mail... a Lucien Piccard 'Magnifito' and an Elini Nazar 'Lucky Eye'...

both with black leather bands... the Elini has .8 carats in Diamonds on it.. ill post up some pics sometime.. i wont be home until tuesday though
Post when you get it or you can dig up the official watch thread and post there and hopefully bring some life to it.
glasses.gif

this thread is full of win
pimp.gif

we need more threads like this on NT.
i want to check out the H&M suit from that GQ list. would they have that in the store? because i dont recall seeing suits in the H&M in Gerogetown.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

pimp.gif

i want to check out the H&M suit from that GQ list. would they have that in the store? because i dont recall seeing suits in the H&M in Gerogetown.

From one NT'er to another... please don't buy a suit from H&M, please.

Originally Posted by Purple Face

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
alright
frown.gif

i guess i only liked it because of the color and the style, but i guess theres tons of other suits like that.
what would you suggest for under 300$?
possibly under 500-600$ aswell?

Originally Posted by Purple Face

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
alright
frown.gif

i guess i only liked it because of the color and the style, but i guess theres tons of other suits like that.
what would you suggest for under 300$?
possibly under 500-600$ aswell?

I don't know if they have a Syms around you but you should check that store out. http://www.syms.com/locations.asp
If not, hit up Macys.

i've been selling suits for almost a decade now and i'm so happy to see the renaissance in men's tailored clothing. we are finally getting out ofthe hip-hop era and back into the old-school rat pack styles. the biggest piece of advise i can give is to make sure the shoulder seam of the suit is as closeto your joint as possible. if it is a lil too big it will feel a lil small. i'm a very tall guy so length is very important to me. you should show aquarter inch of shirt sleeve out of the bottom of the jacket sleeve and remember the sleeve alone does not make the size. sleeves can be lengthened orshortened. the body of the jacket should just cover your butt and be parallel with the small amount of space between your main knuckles and the middle of yourthumbnail when your arms are at your side. 2-button suits are the trendy style right now but they are also an american classic. a 3-button variety has itsplace too. most fuller cut suits are made in a 2 button but now the stylish suits are making very trim 2-buttons.

This might be helpful and how can I forget about the pocket square, it is almost as rare as people wearing bow ties with tuxes.

Your 12-Step Program to Suit Rehabilitation

If it's been a while since you bought a new suit, chances are good that what you're wearing is looking pretty dated. Here's what you need to do to bring your suit into Spring 2008:

1. Make it neat and trim: Go for a narrow, fitted-to-the-body style.

An ill-fitting suit is the one thing that will immediately date a suit, says Henry Singer's Jeff Podgurny: "The emphasis in menswear, everything is really about fit."

Needless to say, anything ripped, frayed or stained is strictly verboten.

2. Go for grey: Black is still stylish and navy is the hot colour of the future, but grey is the right colour right now in suiting and jackets. For spring, that means light greys. Going into fall, look for lots of charcoal.

3. Less is more: Look for a suit with narrow lapels, single vents and two buttons rather than three. For the moment, double breasted jackets are out of style.

4. Make it short and sweet: In keeping with the trimmer look, jackets are being cut shorter and trousers are hemmed right at the shoe with almost no break at all.

5. Get rid of the pleats: Do we even need to say it? Pleated pants are out. If you insist, though, make it a flat single pleat rather than a puffy double or triple one.

6. And the cuffs, too: Cuffed pants will only add bulk and shorten what should be a long, lean look. While you're at it, get rid of all flapped pockets, too.

7. Dress up that shirt: The dress shirt is anything but an afterthought this season. Look for narrow-fitted shirts in beautiful fabrics. Gorgeous colours and French cuffs work well with the new formality.

8. Make it subtle: For major pieces such as shirts, jackets and trousers, look for subtle patterns like micro stripes and gingham checks.

9. Go for bold: In accessories, look for bold colours and knockout patterns.

10.Narrow the tie: A wide tie will look funny with a narrow jacket and lapels, so opt for something skinnier.

11. It's hip to be square: The season's big comeback is the pocket square, which adds a dressy note to any jacket, not to mention a touch of personal flair.

12. Toe the (narrow) line: The skinny look continues right down to the soles of your feet. Skip the clodhoppers and opt for footwear that's trim and elegant.'

Originally Posted by c0neV3rgE

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

n6797246895_568399_9447.jpg

laugh.gif

they look dumb as %#!@ .

granted the shorts dont look right but whats wrong with the suit?
grin.gif

Anyone with common sense would know I was referring to the suit, and come on now would you even take that mans opinions serious?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Post when you get it or you can dig up the official watch thread and post there and hopefully bring some life to it.
glasses.gif

My camera is garbage when taking up close pics so i cant get very good detail
smh.gif
but you can get the idea by my pics... ill put up the website pics for detailreference.

The second watch has an 'Open Heart' at the bottom and you can see some moving parts from inside the watch, which i think is sick.
pimp.gif

L10750217.jpg

2nw0lg5.jpg

L11075032.jpg

Nice watches Fraij, are the LP a moonphase tourbillon? Either way, nice pick ups, very classy.

To those looking for suit advice, since it's still prom season, here's a GQ look at tuxes ( I agree for the most part). Don't forget the pocketsquare!

Buy a Tux That Won't Expire in the New Year

When you finally realize that it makes more sense to buy a tux than to continue renting one, get the most out of your purchase. That means buying onethat's timeless. Look for a notch- or peak-lapel jacket (pictured) with one or two buttons-they'll never go out of style. Avoid anything overly slim orflared, and avoid three-button tux jackets (okay for businesswear but not for formalwear). If you get your new tuxedo tailored well and you don't spill toomany drinks on it, you'll own it for years.

00001f.jpg

It's All About the Lapels

A tuxedo is defined by its lapels. A peak lapel (previous slide) is the most classic, while a notch lapel (left) has become the industry standard over thepast decade or so. Finally, consider the shawl collar (next slide). Favored by folks like James Dean, it's lately been making a big comeback among thefashion set.
00002f.jpg

…And your collar

Steer clear of a wing collar. Opt for a conventional one-as seen on Clooney, Sinatra, Connery, et al.
00003f.jpg

No, You Don't Need a Cummerbund

We'll make this as clear as possible: Ditch the cummerbund. It makes you look like you're going to the prom.

However…

You do need suspenders. Belts aren't worn with tux pants.
00004f.jpg

Lose the Patent

Skip those shiny tux shoes and stick with well-polished black lace-ups instead.

…But mind your ankles

Invest in high-quality thin black socks, and wear them only with your tux.
00005f.jpg

The Black-Suit Option

Yes, you can get away with wearing a black suit instead of a tuxedo at formal events these days. But it's got to be the right black suit. It should beperfectly tailored, and it should be solid black-not pin-striped, not charcoal gray, not navy blue. Also, remember to have your suit pressed or dry-cleanedbefore the big day. It should look as crisp as possible. You want people complimenting you on your suit instead of asking why you're not wearing a tux.

Don't try to fool people by wearing a bow tie with your black suit. Go with a straight black tie instead-satin or silk, no patterns or prints.

Raise the profile of your suit with a beautiful French-cuff shirt. It's worth the splurge.
00006f.jpg

Formalize Your Outerwear

Attending a formal event means looking appropriate not just inside the event but outside, too. In other words, don't just throw on a ski parka. You wanta topcoat that's as striking as your tux. A chesterfield coat (distinguished by its velvet collar) is ideal, but a basic trim black wool topcoat will alsodo the trick.
00007f.jpg

What the Hell Is White Tie? In less casual times, this is what was meant by formal (black tie was semiformal), but it's basically ananomaly today. If the invitation specifies it (and only then), go rent yourself a black tailcoat and trousers, with a white shirt, white vest (generally piquécotton), and white bow tie.

Wing collar: Considered the most formal of shirts, it was traditionally meant for white-tie occasions. If you wear one with a black bowtie, be sure to tuck the wings behind the tie; they should not peek out above it.

Morning coat: Also known as a cutaway coat, this was originally designed to wear while riding horses-a typical morning activity innineteenth-century England. Single-breasted and fastened with one button, it tapers from the waist at the front to the knees at the back. You'll see thiscoat at formal daytime weddings (it should not be worn after dark), with gray-and-black pin-striped pants, a gray vest, and an ascot.
00009f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom