***Official Political Discussion Thread***

1637453873557.png

Do you think this about people in other professions, or does it only to educators? Maybe I missed something from one of your posts.

it applies to every profession,
expertise is relevant to technical questions with objective answers
but it doesn't mean you defer to the "experts" on questions that don't have that technical dimension
or involve weighing cost benefits / values ect

I may have some technical expertise on film and television production.
but it doesn't mean you need to defer to my expertise on whether or not your children should watch Dune. (they should :D)

I just think the way you present the problem is an uncharitable read on what the woman actually said.

I don't think it's that uncharitable, maybe like 10% uncharitable. :lol:
the article is getting picked up by concretive media, and it's continuing to turn up the temperature on the school hysteria.

I don't think you need to read it thaaat uncharitably for it to sound bad.
like i said, id keep it to myself,

I don't think it's that uncharitable, maybe like 10% uncharitable. :lol:
the article is getting picked up by concretive media, and it's continuing to turn up the temperature on the school hysteria.

So ****ing what. The conservative media acts in bad faith. The whole CRT debate right now is a bad faith manufactured moral panic.

Your solution to these problems is pretty much demanding that everyone on the left, or might be perceived to be aligned with the left, or is on the side of the argument people think the left is on constantly shut up and calculate everything they say to prevent bad faith actors from acting in bad faith

It just seems like a demand that you often take to an unreasonable place sometimes.

It is pretty much conceding the public debate on any subject to conservatives once they can whip up some nonsense on the subject and put it on Fox News

I don't think you need to read it thaaat uncharitably for it to sound bad.
like i said, id keep it to myself,
It didn't sound bad IMO

Especially since you kinda misrepresented what was said in the article and who was saying it

A couple of weeks ago you were worried about progressives forcing comedians to self-censor, about how that would hurt society. Now now you think it is wise for an academics not to write about things relevant to her field because it might piss some people off, or because Fox News might run a story on it?

It just seems like an unreasonable demand given the full context

Last edited:
Is it just where I’m at. But has “inflation” been the new buzz word and crybaby uninformed talking point for people.

Seems like it’s nonstop rambling and complaining about something that’s been going on forever. ****s been going up for as long as I can remember with wages not matching. But there’s so many people I know who aren’t making money whining about inflations and how stimulus checks (2 of the 3 which came under orange man) are ruining the economy with inflation. The disingenuous caring about the economy when they don’t **** about it in the first place is comical also.

The discourse on inflation has shown how limited the average American's imagination is when it comes to making demands of the powerful. The corollary is that the average American's imagination is boundless when making demands upon the powerless.

Americans can imagine deflation, a return to the gold standard, an economic depression causing 25% unemployment, all to get prices down. yet, they cannot imagine their boss giving them a 6% raise.

This mindset applies to other areas of policy.

Americans can envision a return to work houses as well as putting unhoused people in concentration camps in the desert before they can imagine an urban housing strategy that puts affordability ahead of double digit annual increases in real estate prices.

Americans can envision eight to ten million mostly poor and/or non white people dying of COVID before they can imagine paying people enhanced UI until the pandemic is actually over.

Americans are fine with others having to work 80, 100, 120 hours a week to survive but they can't imagine a wealth tax on multi billionaires who can afford private space travel.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh , if we are playing the academics should not post things that piss people off and might be used by the right-wing media game

Then I look forward to you telling every academic (hell developer, YIMBY, pundit, election official) that talks or writes about zoning reform to shut the hell up too. :lol:

Last edited:
The discourse on inflation has shown how limited the average American's imagination is when it comes to making demands of the powerful. The corollary is that the average American's imagination is boundless when making demands upon the powerless.

Americans can imagine deflation, a return to the gold standard, an economic depression causing 25% unemployment, all to get prices down. yet, they cannot imagine their boss giving them a 6% raise.

This mindset applies to other areas of policy.

Americans can envision a return to work houses as well as putting unhoused people in concentration camps in the desert before they can imagine an urban housing strategy that puts affordability ahead of double digit annual increases in real estate prices.

Americans can envision eight to ten million mostly poor and/or non white people dying of COVID before they can imagine paying people enhanced UI until the pandemic is actually over.

Americans are fine with others having to work 80, 100, 120 hours a week to survive but they can't imagine a wealth tax on multi billionaires who can afford private space travel.

on the imagination point, I always find it funny when companies will give out thousands of free t-shirts at an event but charge employees for a t-shirt to work in.

...or when employees pay for shift meals...at a restaurant? where they make the food??

tragic lack of imagination in our public life.

Dude, she said you should defer to the expert on the things that have a technical dimension

She was talking about building a curriculum. Teachers go to school, teachers get qualified to do a certain job. So she is saying since trusts the teachers to do that job.

I don't believe that curriculum choices are always narrow technical question that can't be questioned by regular people.
and like I said if she trusts them that's cool, but framing it the way she framed it I don't think helps teachers.
hence why I said even if you believe it, id keep it to myself.

I don't know why you are so committed to ****ting on teachers' qualifications and job to make your point.
I don't think I'm ****ting on anyone's qualifications,
but I'm against credentialism and the inflation of experts
She didn't seem to come close to act like teachers are impunity. She clearly says this. But teachers are not just glorified babysitters, they are trained and certified to do a job in most cases. She is asking for the people that are trained to make certain decisions, be given the power to make them

maybe im reading it differently from you but I did not get that impression.
She makes an exception for like the most extreme teacher behavior that causes "emotional harm",

but beyond that says that parental concerns over curriculum should be ignored
and teachers and curriculum should be insulated from parental influence.

You are so busy using an example from your life to argue against a point the woman had already addressed, that you don't even consider thinking through the consequences of what people are asking for on the other side that had more directly to do with what she was talking about.

i was using that example as response to general "trust the experts" attitude

Parents have input into what is taught, it is just that they don't all get unilateral veto power. However, look at the nonsense conservatives are doing to appease the most reactionary and power-hungry right-wing parents. That to me is the more serious danger.

again maybe im crazy, but I reard it as.
other than extreme cases of emotional harm caused by teachers, parents complaints about curriculum should be mostly ignored.

So ****ing what. The conservative media acts in bad faith. The whole CRT debate is a bad faith manufactured moral panic.

Your solution to these problems is pretty much demanding that everyone on the left, or might be perceived to be aligned with the left, or is on the side of the argument people think the left is on constantly shut up and calculate everything they say to prevent bad faith actors from acting in bad faith

It just seems like a demand that you often take to an unreasonable place sometimes.

It is pretty much conceding the public debate on any subject to conservatives once they can whip up some nonsense on the subject and put it on Fox News

like i said, I don't think it's manufactured moral panic,
I think CRT is being used as a catch all term to capture some real and imagined anxieties and resentments people have with schools.

I mean the right has a propaganda machine and the left doesn't,
so naturally left wing people have to be more sensitive to what the propaganda machine will do.

If you are on the left, you are by definition farther left that the average person
and I think you need to convince people, I think this article is extremely unconvincing unless you already agree.
the cherry on top is that it makes great propaganda.

A couple of weeks ago you were worried about progressives forcing comedians to self-censor, about how that would hurt society. Now now you think it is wise for an academics not to write about things relevant to her field because it might piss some people off, or because Fox News might run a story on it?

It just seems like a silly demand, especially in this instance given who wrote the article and what was said

Teachers are public employees, so if you want to support teachers,
doing it in a way that pisses off the electorate is unhelpful.

until we have government sponsored comedians, i think the comparison is a stretch.

Last edited:
osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh , if we are playing the academics should not post things that piss people off and might be used by the right-wing media game

Then I look forward to you telling every academic (hell developer, YIMBY, pundit, election official) that talks or writes about zoning reform to shut the hell up too. :lol:

well i think if she posted this in The Lancet i wouldn't say anything about it. :lol:

academics should write whatever they think is true.
that's different than writing for a general audience.

if she really doesn't care about teachers sure ignore me.
but if I cared about teachers I think the what she wrote is unhelpful.

and yes, there are yimby people with non normie unpopular ideas.
"ban cars" is something that YIMBY people should definitely shut up about, or be very careful how when they talk about it. :lol:

Dude sounds like he is scared of the right-wing propaganda machine.

We know what is and what isn't, and when push comes to shove, the worst thing to do is to shut up and accept the right's spin on issues.

Back
Top Bottom