:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

any tips on dieing soles?

Yeah, Dont do it. So many people mess up their shoes like that. But here you go

Tape off every part of your shoe except the translucent sole.

Get your RIT dye of choice (powder form)

Get some sea glow.

Mix the dye powder, with sea glow and water. Add as much dye as you want, depending on how deep you want the color and if you want it clear or opaque.

Slowly paint the mixture onto the sole with a small paint brush.

Wait 2 hours.then wipe off the excess. Repeat if it's not what you wanted.

LOL I was about to say; I wouldn't use Armor All on my ride, why would I use it on my Jordans?  I use 303 products for my interior and convertible top.  They are very good.  I see my detail shop sells 303 wipes also.  http://www.autogeek.net/303-protectant-wipes.html

Just use caution putting any product like this on the soles of your shoes.  It will decrease traction, especially on slick surfaces.  I have heard of accidents involving both cars and bikes because of people putting Armor All type products on the treads of their tires instead of just the sidewalls.

LOL I was about to say; I wouldn't use Armor All on my ride, why would I use it on my Jordans?  I use 303 products for my interior and convertible top.  They are very good.  I see my detail shop sells 303 wipes also.  http://www.autogeek.net/303-protectant-wipes.html

Just use caution putting any product like this on the soles of your shoes.  It will decrease traction, especially on slick surfaces.  I have heard of accidents involving both cars and bikes because of people putting Armor All type products on the treads of their tires instead of just the sidewalls.

I'll be using it on royals white midsole. Hate the yellowing

i got a scratch on my mili 4s...how do i got about removing that? scratch scuff.nothing crazy...is that considered nubuck/suede that grey area on the milis?

One time the detailers put tire dressing on the first ring of tread past the sidewall for a nice finished look on my STi...I accidentally drifted leaving the driveway it was scary. But tire dressing is way heavier and slicker than armor all. I wouldn't use tire wet or anything like that on the soles. But I've worn two different pairs of Jordans now with armor all on the soles both indoors and out. I have hardwood and tile floors. I didn't notice any loss in traction at all. And again...I'm wiping off the excess after it dries somewhat. But even if I left it on entirely I still think it wouldn't matter. There really was zero loss in traction.

Last edited:
i got a scratch on my mili 4s...how do i got about removing that? scratch scuff.nothing crazy...is that considered nubuck/suede that grey area on the milis?
You could try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser those work pretty well on most scuffs, but if that doesn't work post a picture so we know exactly what you're talking about. 

Can this do any justice to it?
Used this on a pair of infrared, and varsity red 6s, thinking it could help retore the suede.

WRONG. 

Like Charles, after the dye dries up, it looks like a black ink pen exploded on your shoes, and in the sunlight it has a brown/rust/copper tint.

However i took some lincoln EZ cleaner and went to work on my grails
frown.gif
 , and for the most part

the ink color came out. and they're definitely jet black and dont shine brown in the sun.

So it is fixable by clesncing off the excess? From what ive gathered, all you need to do is apply and let it set. Once it happens, you need to wash it off

Used this on a pair of infrared, and varsity red 6s, thinking it could help retore the suede.

WRONG. 

Like Charles, after the dye dries up, it looks like a black ink pen exploded on your shoes, and in the sunlight it has a brown/rust/copper tint.

However i took some lincoln EZ cleaner and went to work on my grails
frown.gif
 , and for the most part

the ink color came out. and they're definitely jet black and dont shine brown in the sun.

So it is fixable by clesncing off the excess? From what ive gathered, all you need to do is apply and let it set. Once it happens, you need to wash it off

I had the same problem, and I also tried washing it off, it still got messy as when I washed it bled onto other places (which were black) but if they were white or any other color the washed off dye would stain/dye it as well :/

I had the same problem, and I also tried washing it off, it still got messy as when I washed it bled onto other places (which were black) but if they were white or any other color the washed off dye would stain/dye it as well :/
Wouldnt have been a problem. When I dyed my concords sole blue (which failed) it got all over the mesh and the phylon midsole. If you wash it out with the quickness it just goes away.

1. I have been trying to do a RIT cleaning on some White/Back XI's but the white nylon upper is still not getting really white. It's not super  bad but it has a dingy look to it, someone suggested that I do a deep clean clean then use the RIT. What would be good to use to do a deep cleaning. 

2. Just in case, I can't get it right. Can some of you guys who do this type of work, PM me some price quotes?

Hello, does anybody know if spraying water - repellent spray on icy soles will help slow down the yellowing process?

I've been using that, seems to work so far, but it hasn't been that long either.

It would only work on a shoe you keep ds. Since wearing them would simply wipe the stuff off. It's better to simply wash your soles with dish soap and warm water after you wear them. There are more factors than water to icy soles.

Oxidation being the main reason.

So glad this thread is up and running again. This needs to be stickied

I'll see what I can do.

I did this with the black pair of Infrared 6s. So washing off the excess was a no go.

I had chalked them up as a loss But i am currently in the process of removing the brown/copper excess with EZ cleaner and

a lot of the ink is coming up. Right now im 70% dont with my right pair. If the sun is good tomorrow i'll take Before and after pics

of my results. 

I think he means reapplying it after every wear and cleaning...like I'm doing with the armor all.
Yes
My word still stays. There are other factors beside water that cause yellowing. Water proofing doesn't stop oxygen.
It doesn't stop oxygen, your right, but it provides a layer of protection, not just from water, but just from dirt on the ground in general.  Cleaning the soles after every wear and reapplying after they are clean won't stop it completely, but will help slow it down.  It seems to work so far.

Saw a few pages back someone mention that you really don't need to use sunlight or bulbs to retrobrite. Has anyone tried this method?

1. I have been trying to do a RIT cleaning on some White/Back XI's but the white nylon upper is still not getting really white. It's not super  bad but it has a dingy look to it, someone suggested that I do a deep clean clean then use the RIT. What would be good to use to do a deep cleaning. 

2. Just in case, I can't get it right. Can some of you guys who do this type of work, PM me some price quotes?
Can I use Lincoln EZ cleaner on the mesh upper to clean before whitening with the RIT?

Can I use Lincoln EZ cleaner on the mesh upper to clean before whitening with the RIT?

Don't

Just use dish soap and water, and a toothbrush, you're just trying to get the grime off of there before you apply the RIT.

Back
Top Bottom