Peloton Bike

Man, I really wish I knew about this thread sooner. I can add some good perspective for anyone who is either on the fence with one or in the "it won't be used after 3 months and you'll hang clothes from it" crowd.

My wife heard about these from her coworker back in late July. She did her research, and pulled the trigger on it early August and it was delivered on August 9th of last year. Since when, she has been crushing it and this thing is the REAL DEAL!!!

A little background. My wife doesn't play sports. Never did growing up. She did some kickboxing about 13 years ago before we met and started dating. We had a membership to LA Fitness (froze due to the pandemic) so we did use that. She & I always enjoyed working out together. She's got killer legs (she's just shy of 6' and thin) and always killed me on the leg press.

That being said, being tall also gave her knee problems. For anyone who says to not buy one and just run? Yeah, that just isn't an option for some people. And it isn't for her. Hi impact running isn't good for joints. She had constant knee aches when the weather is bad. Doctor even recommended to NOT run but do some other form of cardio. That's where this comes in.

Since she's had it, August 9th, she is at 1,890.91 miles on the bike! She will smash 2,000 miles by the end of June (11 months). She's a machine on it and I couldn't be more proud. She found something she likes and has stuck to it. I have done only a handful of rides as I've been out on disability due to severe Crohn's disease. For those who know what that is and means, yeah, getting clipped in on the bike, starting up, and then having that "I gotta go NOW feeling", SUCKS!!! I don't want to stop, and cancel the ride, so I wait. But the few times I did it late last year, I got a SERIOUS sweat from it and you really do get into a "zone" and try to push father and harder and faster. Once I was done, I felt pretty good. Even posted a few of my screen shots to my IG page and tagged the instructor of the ride.

Here is why it's successful. It's the convenience of not spending the time going to the gym or spin class. For some, that's 15 minutes, 30 minutes or more away from your home. That's up to an hour round trip and that's just an example. For my wife, since the pandemic started, she's been working from home and that means getting done around 6 or later at night. But the bike is right up stairs and in 5 minutes, one can be riding.

Another reason, is the classes. They have hundreds upon hundreds of different classes with different genre of music. They may be over 1,000 classes on demand by now. And they have been making special rides with a featured artist throughout the full class. Chainsmokers, Pink, Billy Joel, J-Lo, you name it. They have so many different artists and songs. And if you feel up for it (and when they start it back up) you can take a live class in their studio in NYC. We went up last October for my wife's 100th ride. She got a shout-out from the instructor on air. She was thrilled. I watched from the app on my phone in the lounge. But you can high-five anyone you see. Only thing, you can't chat while riding. Maybe they will add that eventually. But a studio ride was really cool!!

Yes, you can go do a spin class at Soul Cycle or in your local gym, but not anymore. I know some won't let the virus stop them from going. But I know A LOT of people won't be going back to a gym anytime soon. I know my wife won't go and I can't go back as I'm a transplant patient (had my liver transplant on 10/7/03) and am the highest risk of catching the virus.

Space is also a key to this. It takes up very little real estate in a room. All you should get is a piece of plywood cut to about 58"x28" and then put a workout mat over it. This keeps it solid I'd you place it in a room with carpet.

The classes are immense and they do classes using weights for arm workouts during a ride. Even their shoes are actually pretty good quality. You should get them to get the most out of the bike. Being clipped in helps you push to your max.

I know it's pricey but like the one poster said, it's overall cheaper than a spin class membership and you can do any class anytime or just pick a free ride and a scenery and ride at your own pace (along the PCH for example). I never thought I'd like it as much as I do. I rode outdoors years ago while going through liver failure. It was my escape to forget about how sick I felt and the possibility of the inevitable occuring (I was 2 weeks from not making it had I not gotten a call). I can't run, but I could always ride 50-80 miles at a time. I do have a new Trek DS3 Hybrid that I just got late last year. I will ride once I feel better but come winter, and as long as I feel okay, I'll start back up on the Peloton.

Just find a showroom nearby and try it. It's how my wife was sold on her bike. You can play with the screen for hours just checking out the classes a d music. I'm glad she bought it. She loves it.

TL;DR- Worth it if you want a serious cardio machine that easily replaces any spin class/membership you currently pay for, or don't want to go back to a gym due to C19 and you have limited time so you want to save it by working out at home and running isn't an option.

Last edited:
Didn't know this thread existed....

Got mine right around the end of March. I've never really enjoyed doing cardio, but I absolutely love this thing. I had never done a spin class in my life prior to getting it, but I been on it almost every day since it arrived.

Been mostly doing Alex's classes, but do Tunde and Hannah's as well. My wife does Cody and Ben's.

Any of y'all do that All-Star Ride? I feel like that was the hardest **** I done physically since like high school :lol:

Didn't know this thread existed....

Got mine right around the end of March. I've never really enjoyed doing cardio, but I absolutely love this thing. I had never done a spin class in my life prior to getting it, but I been on it almost every day since it arrived.

Been mostly doing Alex's classes, but do Tunde and Hannah's as well. My wife does Cody and Ben's.

Any of y'all do that All-Star Ride? I feel like that was the hardest **** I done physically since like high school :lol:

Hey buddy, glad to hear that you like the bike. 👍 My wife does Robin's rides and Jen and Matt's as well. She did Jen's live ride in studios last year. She's a cool person. The All-Star ride was crazy. My wife saw the results and wanted to see how she could do in comparison. She did great. She beat Allyson Felix and Dawn Staley. Was only 2 behind Monica Puig (179-177). She felt so good about it and I was so happy and I was so proud of her. My wife's in her mid 30s and she is just killing it! It's a great piece of equipment. What's your name on the bike? Did you see there is a #niketalk group.

Ordered this bike end of march, it was a 3 week delivery time. My friends that ordered last month have to wait until August. Heard Peloton stock went up hella

Do you have to pay for class from the jump ? or are there free classes?
There are some free rides like scenic rides, but what you really want the bike for are the classes. You have to pay $39/mo for membership to access the classes on the bike. You can pay like $12.99 to get the digital membership and just stream the classes on your tablet/phone, but it doesnt record the statistics.

Thanks for the info! What I meant is are you forced to subscribe to the classes from the beginning or can you decide to do them later on and subscribe.

Hey buddy, glad to hear that you like the bike. 👍 My wife does Robin's rides and Jen and Matt's as well. She did Jen's live ride in studios last year. She's a cool person. The All-Star ride was crazy. My wife saw the results and wanted to see how she could do in comparison. She did great. She beat Allyson Felix and Dawn Staley. Was only 2 behind Monica Puig (179-177). She felt so good about it and I was so happy and I was so proud of her. My wife's in her mid 30s and she is just killing it! It's a great piece of equipment. What's your name on the bike? Did you see there is a #niketalk group.
@brentsoko

I beat Justin Thomas by like 20 something in the all-star ride but Matt Grevers, the swimmer, got me by like 158 :rofl:

Hope you fools are repping the NT hashtag....

glad ya all enjoying it, it seriously is the wildest burn you can get in the shortest amount of time....the amounts of sweat this thing generates lol

@brentsoko

I beat Justin Thomas by like 20 something in the all-star ride but Matt Grevers, the swimmer, got me by like 158 :rofl:

Awesome buddy. I'm 06VistaBlueGT. Yeah, Grevers stats were RIDICULOUS!!!

Hope you fools are repping the NT hashtag....

glad ya all enjoying it, it seriously is the wildest burn you can get in the shortest amount of time....the amounts of sweat this thing generates lol

Hey bud, I joined the hashtag last night! 👍 Again, don't know when I'm going to ride as I'm still not feeling 70% (won't be 100 for a long while).

Get a real bike

Get a real bike? Sorry dude, my wife doesn't want to ride on the street. It's far too dangerous than it was 15+ years ago when I used to ride (way less cell phones and texting while driving back in the early 2000s vs today). And frankly, I don't blame her. Plus, she works till 6-7 pm on most weekdays (from 8-9 in the AM) so riding after work isn't an option either as it gets dark by the time we're done with dinner & digesting. Plus in southeast Pennsylvania, riding season ends around November on average as it gets cold, and your not riding till April maybe.

So NO! A real bike isn't an option for her. Plus, not everyone can ride a road bike. I can't hunch over on those with my back issues, hence why I got a Trek DS3 (sit more upright). Thanks for adding to the thread. 👍

A “real bike” more than likely will never give you the dale workout you would get from a peloton class and you would have to spend far more time on it.

just go with peloton for the bike. Get the real deal.

it’s good cardio as ksteezy ksteezy said. I pretty much only do tabata and HIIT rides and it’s not uncommon to burn 400 calories in under half an hour.

it’s fun man, I like the other classes too.
Yeah wifey is pushing the Bowflex for half the cost. The reviews are good, we're not cyclists or spinners by any means. This is just an alternative for outdoor cardio with the 2nd wave coming and the winter since we don't want to be outdoors and risk infection with an infant in the house.

Pelotón Fam....ya need to do Alex and Tundes 2for1 45 min BHM ride

first time doing a 45 min ride in months and what a burn, missed my PR by about 50kj output, but still got a hell of a work outin

564DB60A-84F5-4F41-AC00-5919A6CC3F8D.png

My peloton gainz have been lacking since I went back go work. Gotta get after it.

Yeah wifey is pushing the Bowflex for half the cost. The reviews are good, we're not cyclists or spinners by any means. This is just an alternative for outdoor cardio with the 2nd wave coming and the winter since we don't want to be outdoors and risk infection with an infant in the house.

congrats on the kid bruh. :pimp:

I'm on the fence about buying one of these. I've done spin classes before and enjoyed them for the most part, so I have some idea of what I'd be getting into.

What are the three most annoying/negative things about having one of these?

Is anyone having buyers remorse?

Back
Top Bottom