Post your Barber Clippers/Liners: Barber Tools Discussion/Questions

Any tips for doing your own edge up? I have a hard time telling if I'm cutting slanted. I think its a combination of probably tilting my head trying to "see" the straight line and getting the clippers lined up right. I usually end up cutting just enough not to look like a bum, but not clean like I just stepped out the barber's chair.

Practice Practice Practice.  Thats the only way to get better.  And dont be afraid to mess up.  That is probably what is limiting you from cutting as you should. It is not as easy as you think to mess up while lining, as long as you stay with the natural hairline.  I was the same way when I started self-cutting, trying to be too careful. but when I finally said eff it and just went in, it finally came together.

One good way to tell if youre cutting straight is just to step back from the mirror a little and look.  If it looks straight, it is.  You know what a straight line-up looks like so dont doubt your judgement.  Also, you really dont have to tilt your head as much.  The blades are always a straight line so use that to your advantage.  Start in the middle, make your initial line, and work your way out to the sides from there, using the blade and your previous line as a guide.  Line, move over slightly, extend the line, repeat.  Easy.

Also, YouTube is your best friend.  There are many videos that have tutorials and help for self cutting.

Last edited:
I just learned how to fade my hair properly over the summer. My uncle's a barber, so he teaches me different techniques from time to time. Definitely a plus knowing how to cut your own hair. I couldn't begin to think about spending $20 on a cut every week. :lol:

I cut my hair every Friday. Will post a before and after picture of my work when I do it.

Does anyone know where I can buy online a blade adjuster for my walh 5 star liners I need a new blade but I want to use the adjuster with it.

I got one earlier this month. Its pretty damn useful IMO. A lot easier to cut the back of my head since I don't need to be holding up a hand mirror anymore. Well worth the money. If you wanna buy one, I suggest calling them first to see if they have any in stock; it seems like they're always out.

I copped these joints to trim my facial hair and to cut my hair since its falling out (chemo)....

Amazon product ASIN B0040KOUI4
probably gunna hit my self with a 1 all around then line up with the andis outliner i got... until it all falls out...

then just use it for facial hair

what you thik trav t

Last edited:
I just got them and I love them. They are light and give you a crisp lining and they dont get hot. Comes with blade adjuster to 0 gap it and attachments. it uses a rotary motor so that is why it dont get hot

Co-sigggggn. Just copped from Amazon. Walked in from out of the cold, unpackaged, adjusted the blades to a 0.. then proceeded to take down a full coarse beard, with no warm cloth.. nothing. The hero's are dope. 29.99. Almost copped the 100$ ones, forget the name.. but im digging these so far. Came from the Wahl balding clipper which felt like it was ripping chunks of skin off when I would shave with them.

Big ups to whomever suggested the Heros in this thread.. best trimmer ive used in years

Been cutting my own hair eversince I bought these a little over a year ago. I definitely can cut better on other people than myself, but I'm sure I'll get better. I gapped the blades just close enough to not irritate the skin.

andis improved masters & andis t-trimmers

been cuttin myself up since freshman year of hs, so 6 and half years

currently growin my hair out too long...

I copped these joints to trim my facial hair and to cut my hair since its falling out (chemo)....

probably gunna hit my self with a 1 all around then line up with the andis outliner i got... until it all falls out...

what you thik trav t

Sorry to hear about your situation. That is rough. As for the clippers, I don't know how well they cut but I'm sure they can get the job done if all you're doing is a 1 all around.

what you thik trav t

Sorry to hear about your situation. That is rough. As for the clippers, I don't know how well they cut but I'm sure they can get the job done if all you're doing is a 1 all around.

for sure man... hoepfully theyre legit... they cost like 70 at Target and had good amazon reviews... and aint tryna spend much since its only for face and hair for a short while...

Also copped the pro mate blade or whatever, a couple days ago and its nice.

this thread is dope

What is best for facial hair? I'm looking to trim and not shave completely off then to shape it all up?

What is best for facial hair? I'm looking to trim and not shave completely off then to shape it all up?

For trimming, any of those $20-$30 Andis and Wahl clippers will do. As your shaping it up, the Andis Outliner II comes to mind. There might be some more affordable ones, though. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I was doing Caesars for a while. Then moved to doing temp fades for a while. Was going for a more mature look. Something omniscient and equivalent to the black guy's version of the Don Draper of Ryan Goslin in Crazy Stupid Love. Ended up with the current hair cut I rock today. I brush my hair side ways to have sort of a lay over effect. Works well with my waves. Girls complement it all the time. I don't see anyone else doing it, but it works for me.

View media item 190370View media item 190371View media item 190373

Last edited:
Anybody use the old school straight razors for edge ups? I use the kind with replacable blades but im looking into getting a japanese straight razor

My dude, never sacrifice a clean cut for a quick cut. If your blades heat up, let em cool for a few minutes. The friction caused by the two metal blades will heat any set of clippers you get.

The mor time you spend cutting your heat, the faster you will get naturally. No need to intentionally speed up your time and end up with patches in your hair.

Last edited:
That's a clean cut! I need some new faders, my oster 76 get hot after 30mins! But I'm trying to train myself to cut my own hair faster! Usually try to get done before the clipper starts to heat up

I spray Wahl Blade Ice on my 5-Star Seniors. It cools the blade. The body is still hot, though.

Im looking for a new blade for my GTX... it had an outlinner standard blade on it already....

Its the pro mate the way to go or is there something that can cut closer for the mustache and beard?

Back
Top Bottom