"Racism is as American as baseball"

Whoa. Dude wouldn't stop.

That black dude a better dude than me. I would have cussed him out

I got mad uncomfortable at a Super Bowl Party I went to on Sunday. A friend invited me to HIS friends party so I only knew my friend, his GF, and I brought my GF. I’m the only black guy there.

During the game dudes kept dropping comments like “dang that’s the biggest black guy I’ve ever seen! Dang big ol’ bubba beast.” Animal, freak, beast, etc all game. Brady is “the most competitive guy on the planet. Just a regular joe With more drive and brains than everyone out there.”

Edelman is “the most clutch player on the field. Catches everything and just outworks and outsmarts the defenders everytime.”

The black players were only praised for being big and having animal like qualities. The white players had skill and heart and work ethic. I dipped before the game ended, I just felt like a coward sitting there silent. Felt mad out of place. Hate that feeling. You’d think I’d be used to it by now, living in a state with a 2% population of African Americans.

Man, they coming outta the woodworks... Whelp at least we know who they are...

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 10.22.12 PM.png

Barbara Ehrenreich Called Racist Over Tweets Criticizing Marie Kondo for Not Speaking English

The Nickel and Dimed author is facing backlash on Twitter over tweets some are calling 'racist' and expressing 'xenophobia'

MACKENZIE SCHMIDT

February 04, 2019 02:29 PM
Update: Ehrenreich has apologized on Twitter, writing, “Sorry to anyone offended by my tweet about Marie Kondo! Sometimes my attempts at subtle humor just don’t work.”

The prominent author and activist Barbara Ehrenreich is receiving backlash on Twitter after a tirade against Tidying Up guru Marie Kondo.

In a now-deleted tweet, the author of Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America wrote, “I will be convinced that America is not in decline only when our de-cluttering guru Marie Kondo learns to speak English.”

After deleting that tweet, she posted again, seemingly elaborating on the sentiment: “I confess: I hate Marie Kondo because, aesthetically speaking, I’m on the side of clutter. As for her language: It’s OK with me that she doesn’t speak English to her huge American audience but it does suggest that America is in decline as a superpower.”

Other users have replied to the tweets calling them “racist” and accusing Ehrenreich of “xenophobia.”

Representatives for Kondo and Ehrenreich had no comment about the tweets.

Marie Kondo and her KonMari method of organization first swept the U.S. with the American release of her best-selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up in 2014. The Japanese author and organizer, who is now based in Los Angeles, re-entered the spotlight with the debut of a new Netflix series, Tidying Up, which premiered on January 1.

On the show Kondo speaks mostly in Japanese and uses a translator to communicate with the homeowners she is teaching to clean out their houses.

A number of Twitter users have responded to Ehrenreich’s messages with criticism. One wrote that they disagreed with the author’s views, and expressed that the show actually gave them hope for the future of the country, rather than marking its decline.

“Americans enthusiastically learning from a kind Asian woman whose first language isn’t English is one of the things that gives me hope in this time of rising xenophobia,” the user wrote.

Another expressed a similar sentiment, tweeting, “The capacity to welcome and learn from people who come [from] different cultural backgrounds, and speak a different first language, is actually a sign of a strong and healthy society, not a sign of ‘decline.'”

“I like how you deleted the first racist tweet and followed up with another racist tweet but this time with imperialism,” another user replied.

One individual wrote that Ehreneich’s statement about being “on the side of clutter” was not what the show was truly about and accused her of not watching it, to which she replied “I do watch the show!

Ehrenreich is a prominent author and activist, who writes on the issues of women’s rights, social justice and poverty in the U.S. For her best-selling 2001 book Nickel and Dimed, she voluntarily lived on minimum wage, taking jobs as a waitress, hotel maid, and Wal-Mart salesperson among others to experience and shed light on the struggles of many low-income Americans.

RELATED: Marie Kondo Reveals the Secret to Actually Finishing Tidying Up — Plus More Tips!

Kondo spoke to PEOPLE in January about the reaction to her show, which at that time had only been streaming for a few days.

“This is my very first experience doing the lesson entirely in English, and through an interpreter no less,” she said via a translator. “So of course I worried if I would be able to communicate with my clients on a deeper level, but once we started the tidying became the medium that really bonded us, united us, together, so I was so happy to see them understanding my intention so well.”

Netflix does not release it’s viewership numbers, but the show has inspired many to share how they are getting organized via social media since its debut, spawning a number of memes and opinion pieces on the merits of tidying.

I just felt like a coward sitting there silent. Felt mad out of place. Hate that feeling. You’d think I’d be used to it by now, living in a state with a 2% population of African Americans.

Don't feel like that fam, it's not our responsibility to educate everybody everywhere we go. I can assure you, if you tried to explain why what they were saying was wrong they'd call YOU racist and wouldn't take much for that party to turn into a brawl with you at the center of attention.

Being able to pick your battles is a talent a lot of people don't have, you did right.

I got mad uncomfortable at a Super Bowl Party I went to on Sunday. A friend invited me to HIS friends party so I only knew my friend, his GF, and I brought my GF. I’m the only black guy there.

During the game dudes kept dropping comments like “dang that’s the biggest black guy I’ve ever seen! Dang big ol’ bubba beast.” Animal, freak, beast, etc all game. Brady is “the most competitive guy on the planet. Just a regular joe With more drive and brains than everyone out there.”

Edelman is “the most clutch player on the field. Catches everything and just outworks and outsmarts the defenders everytime.”

The black players were only praised for being big and having animal like qualities. The white players had skill and heart and work ethic. I dipped before the game ended, I just felt like a coward sitting there silent. Felt mad out of place. Hate that feeling. You’d think I’d be used to it by now, living in a state with a 2% population of African Americans.

was your gf white?

You gotta be quick witted in that company. Be sarcastic as hell.
One of the lines I used to use back in the day came out of left field for white people. They'd compliment me on dressing well, and I can tell by the tone of the compliment where they ere coming from.

Khufu, you dress so well!
Why thank you! I often admired Don King for his style of dress, then often imitated him.
Wow, you black guys are so natural at stuff.
Well you do know that drinking water from NYC Fire Hydrants in the summer, has special properties. Black dudes from the city tend to benefit from that.

After you hit them with stuff like that, keep it going. Do not stop. Be relentless with their stupidity.

Something told me not to watch that vid man. This is a sick and scary world where you can be a police officer and don't think to yourself, "Maybe I shouldn't be doing this. Maybe WE shouldn't be doing this"

Back
Top Bottom