Retail Workers FTL? Vol. Pet Peeves

customer: you work here?
me: nah dumb@## im just wearing this champs uniform for no reason

customer: you dont have these in green?
me: *looks at the shoe wall then back to the customer with the
indifferent.gif
do you see it on the wall??

customer: I cant get a discount on these?
me: nah man I cant do anything for you.
customer: they do it for me at footlocker...
me: well what the hell are you doing down here wasting my time.

customer: these are buy one get one free?
me: thinking in my head *what the hell does the sign say?!*

Asking how much something costs when the tag is right there.
No it's not always on sale when it's on the sale rack (stupid, lazy customers leave everything everywhere)
(If I'm in the fitting room) No I will not get you a different size.
HATE HATE HATE it when customers ask me to get something from the high racks/shelves and they end up changing their mind about it
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Trying on 2947925795 things in the fitting room and getting none of them. (I know how many you have in there, don't even try to steal from me)
(We can't take ANYTHING off mannequins) "Can I get the one on the mannequin? Can you just switch it?" No, it doesn't work that way, lady.
Customers who don't respond to my greeting or at least even acknowledge I'm there
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Asking for a discount on something that's BAAAARELY damaged
Customers breaking things and claiming it's not their fault when it clearly was their clumsy ### who dropped it.
"Do you work here?" No, I just like to fold clothes at random stores and put away go-backs.
People leaving empty food stuff
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

The two things I hate above anything else:

1. People who browse around the store when they know you are closed. People don't value anyone else's time period.
2. People putting or throwing the money on the counter and then holding their hand out for the change. I was taught to always put money in people's handand never throw it at them because it's straight up rude.

Originally Posted by ellimaCecyoJ

Customers who don't respond to my greeting or at least even acknowledge I'm there
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
this one i would either do this "how are you doing?" customer - no response.

me "how are you doing" over and over again until they acknowledged my greeting

or ignoring them when they asked me for help.

during my last few weeks at my job i when a customer would ignore my greeting but then ask me for help later on i would ask them why they didn;t respond to megreeting but now want me to help them.

Man i might have to do retail when i start looking for a job.

My mom always said to always be aggressive with the workers to get what you want lol....sorry yall

^Sorry for what?

Hmmmmm.................either you are going in for a management position (the ENEMY),or you've given people who work retail hell and now you're in fearof retaliation.............*waits for answer*

I think theres a few of us that either worked at Sears or still do. I'm still in the Electronics department there.

I hate when people pick up items that are excluded from discounts and coupons and they get mad about it, and play the victim role like I could do somethingabout it.
grin.gif
Happens everyday I work.

People asking to call a store to see if they have a item in there store when my store is out.

Having to deal with returns.

People that always expect something to be on sale or a discount.

People saying the sign where they picked it up said $9.99 when the price tag says $79.99 C'mon son.

People asking me if I think if that shirt will fit their husband when he's not even in the store.

People asking me if i think the person they are getting this lime 3x green Rocawear shirt would like it. I don't wear Rocawear.

People that will mess up a whole stack or pile of clothes just to find out that the size they are looking for isn't there. Ask for help @#$*@.

People that expect us to hold items for more than 2 days.

People that are looking for a item that we only have 1 or 2 of and expect me to find it when its really like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I'm sure i can think of more.

LYING customers, i had a quick job in a bbb a while ago and customers would straight up lie and say we had whatever they were looking for 2 weeks ago but wheni go to check the computer we never carried the item.

I got a good laugh at some of the stuff on this thread at first, then it reminded me of the stuff that made me mad when I worked retail.
I think since I've done few different service jobs (retail, event staff and waiting tables) and I know how its like in the service jobs I try not to dothings that customers do that are mentioned in this thread, well some (it not most) are common sense.

An old manager of mine used to say this all the time and reading these posts,it rings so true and that is that "customers always want something fornothing".

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Originally Posted by akaValentino

customers trying to haggle like it's the damn swap meet.

laugh.gif
i loved getting the, "ay man what could you do for me?" or the "i can't get this for $25 even? i can get this at the slauson for $25 what price can you do?"

dudes would have the
frown.gif
face when i would be like, "im going to be real with you, i could care less if you buy the hat or not, if you can get it at the slauson swapmeet for $25 then you should save $10 and go there, i'm not being rude to you, i'm just being honest."

what would really grind my gears though is when random strangers would come in asking for a discount. remember key word RANDOM STRANGERS strangers as in people i never met before that encounter and i would be amazed at how one sidedly inconsiderate and selfish they were, as in screw you i just want my discount im not helping you out though.

some days i would feel hungry and was in the mood for something from mcdonalds or chick fil a so i figured, these customers want a discount, i want food. maybe we can work together. this guy was buying 4 hats which came out to around $140, he asked for a discount, i told him i couldn't give him one because the store was corporate owned which was the truth. i told him i would make an exception though, if he went and got me a number 2 from mcdonalds, i would give him 20% off all 4 hats which would be $28 off everything. yes he would spend $5 on my food but he would save $23 on his hats. dude was like why would i buy you food, i was just like why would i give a stranger a discount if their not doing anything for me in return.

most people used common sense and realized a favor for a favor benifited them and they jumped at the chance to save money but some people were selfish and wanted me to give them a discount without offering anything in return.
when i worked at uhaul i did this ALL the time. i was an assistant manager so i could basically change the price and give stuff away for basicallyfree. ive gotten mcdonalds, pizza, drinks, beer, hell even money for changing miles, gas, and days off peoples bills. chicks have offered sexual favors forfree storage at my store from strippers and what not. it was actually rather easy pulling chicks up there.

i worked at macys as a seasonal worker in fashion jewerly, basically right next to coach/expensive purses. what pissed me off the most was customers trying touse coupons and they dont work because it says on the coupon clear as day "sale and clearance items only" i was going back and forth with this ladyover a damn penny which would have been the difference if she used a coupon or not
indifferent.gif
but retail is appreciated if you working with chicks. i smashed a chickalready from work and im working on two others as we speak.

Man i've been waiting for a thread like this. i work at Kohls in Fresh Meadows and ive gotten the wierdest questions.

Customer:Excuse me sir i have a question about the towels(opens one up)
Me:yes?
Customer: Um how many people can this hold?
ME: What?
Customer: How many people can fit in the towel
Me:frown:at this point im dying inside and yes i really saidd this) i dont know sir, i suppose it depends on the size of the people.

Or when customers ask me,um do you work here? no i just like carrying around 6 boxes of Sketchers and a big name tag that says Keon on it. :smh:

When I was younger, i used to purposely piss them off.

I remember when the Jordan 20s came out. I tried on several pairs just to see how they felt. Did not buy a damn one. Left one of them CREASED the hell up.

The Sports Authority by my house has mini a basketball court. I used to try on shoes and hoop in there with my boys for like 30 minutes. Take the shoes off andleave them inside the court. ##@*% were instant beaters
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

^^^Damn Cedric C...........you sound like me!

After putting in a year and a half at the spot I was working at last year,I just said @!?# it and quit because not only were they procrastinating on giving me
what I EARNED (under the guise that "the economy is messed up"which is true,however this had been a looooooooong time coming),they had the nerve to
cut the hell out of my hours as if I was a rookie on the job or somethin'!I went from working 35 - 40 hours strong,then it got to 25-30,then 15.5 (the hell
is .5?)-20,then they had the audacity to axe employees from the schedule for a whole week (me included) and THEN the next week I only had 8.5 hours total for
the whole week?!?!?!?! I bounced after that foolishness!

*Sam Jackson*I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!

trust me it's a shame. thats why i always told my coworkers to never ever have a sense of loyalty to the company because the company doesn't give a flying crap about them. i always told my coworkers to look out for eachother but to never be overly loyal to the higher ups. i let them know that we were all expendable and if one little thing went wrong we would all get fired for the most stupidest of reasons. my final few months at my job, i was only looking out for me, myself, and i. i saw the way the company did some of my old coworkers so mindset was just "screw them" for the final few months. i just went to work, did my job but was never the ideal corporate butt kissing manager that all the other stores in the district i worked in had.
QFMFT

again at uhaul, i put in 2 years there. was assistant manager for 18 of those months. they didnt give a +%!* about the employees there. so the employees at mystore had to have each others back. i stayed coming into that store on my days off to work, staying late to clean up, basically i was doing everything youcould possibly do at the store from doing contracts to repairing trucks. hell i was robbed at the store and when we were robbed was when i trully figured outthey aint give a +%!*. my phone got stolen, and other stuff too. all i wanted was my phone back. that was in nov. i aint get a check for my phone until marchwhen i got fired
indifferent.gif
plus they fired me for the worst pettiest reason. i was cleaning a truck and couldnt help a customer so i told my coworker to do it, andsome new big shot in the company didnt like that. the regional manager was spooked to say anything to him, but my manager had my back but the big shot wasbasically flexing his muscles and used me as an example.

its whatever now, i made so much side money selling and installing hitches and other stuff for customers for straight cash and not doing the transaction. icould do that since the inventory was so $%@+*% up, they never figured out why they was missing stuff.

Originally Posted by Matt53

Originally Posted by tdrizzle

I work at a Grocery Store as a cashier

Exact Change is not that important and you are not doing me any favors by doing this.

People who think I have the prices for everything in the store memorized.
If you write a check, please make it fast. Checks hinder my checking speeds and lower my performance scores.

Don't crumple your money, it messes my till up and I will usually take longer to count your change back.

If the light to indicate if I'm open or not is turned off don't come to my line; it means I'm not open.

If you only have $100 to spend, don't come to my line with $150 worth of items, we have to put all that back on the shelf.

When you make me do a price check because your item didn't wring up right; don't get pissed at me, there are thousands of products in this store and it's ridiculous for you to think that we have every single on perfectly priced. Usually it's your fault because you couldn't ring the price tag.

I could go on and on.

Cliffs:
Checks will get your groceries bagged wrong and your bread smashed.
Don't pay with exact change, I count 10x faster than you.
Not everything is perfect and I didn't mess-up on perfect. So deal with it accordingly.

4 Years of this and you get a little salty.
I am with you on everything you just said
laugh.gif

but i would like to add WIC to the list
mad.gif

quit trying to get stuff you know you aren't supposed to get with you checks

me "Ma'am you can't you can't get the 32 oz loaf of bread, your check only says 16oz"
her "oh, there isn't any 16 oz loaves back there"
me (goes to get the 16 oz loaf, right above her 32 oz loaf)
her "oh i must not have seen it"

This happens on daily friggin basis
mad.gif

yo this! i was a courtesy clerk before (bag boy) and i didn't mind the morons that had too much in their carts. pretty much an extra 20 minutes just doinggo backs.
now i'm a checker and if i see a wic mf'er coming through the line i tell anyone who comes in my line it'll take a while and go to another line.
they act like they're entitled to wic but all i gotta do is tell they're names to a manager and have em taken off that.

and if you're too stupid to read the price tag i'm not doing anything for you. i'll tell you to take your $+% to the customer service booth with a20 minute line.
and its ALWAYS gonna be the price tag BELOW the item. not the one above it even if it's blocking the item.

Originally Posted by doosta45

but retail is appreciated if you working with chicks. i smashed a chick already from work and im working on two others as we speak.
thats why im tryin to hold down a job at vicky's secret
smokin.gif

Not gone front when finishline started playin games wit a niz I BOOSTED alot alot alot of insoles an other lil stoopid stuff, aperently listening to kanye songspaceship while workin a B.S job will influence the hell outta you

I work at Nike factory and the most annoying things happen daily.

Questions:
Do you have any pumas/new balance/addidas in here?
Do you sell under armour?
Them: Can I get the space jams? Me: uhhh we don't have those. Them: oh aite can I get the flu games? Me: uhhh do you know where you at?

Pet Peeves:
Throwing cash and coins on the counter just so i can pick it up.
Kids bouncing balls and playing football in the store
Old people telling about their grandkids
People trying to steal

Originally Posted by doosta45

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

^^^Damn Cedric C...........you sound like me!

After putting in a year and a half at the spot I was working at last year,I just said @!?# it and quit because not only were they procrastinating on giving me
what I EARNED (under the guise that "the economy is messed up"which is true,however this had been a looooooooong time coming),they had the nerve to
cut the hell out of my hours as if I was a rookie on the job or somethin'!I went from working 35 - 40 hours strong,then it got to 25-30,then 15.5 (the hell
is .5?)-20,then they had the audacity to axe employees from the schedule for a whole week (me included) and THEN the next week I only had 8.5 hours total for
the whole week?!?!?!?! I bounced after that foolishness!

*Sam Jackson*I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!

trust me it's a shame. thats why i always told my coworkers to never ever have a sense of loyalty to the company because the company doesn't give a flying crap about them. i always told my coworkers to look out for eachother but to never be overly loyal to the higher ups. i let them know that we were all expendable and if one little thing went wrong we would all get fired for the most stupidest of reasons. my final few months at my job, i was only looking out for me, myself, and i. i saw the way the company did some of my old coworkers so mindset was just "screw them" for the final few months. i just went to work, did my job but was never the ideal corporate butt kissing manager that all the other stores in the district i worked in had.
QFMFT

again at uhaul, i put in 2 years there. was assistant manager for 18 of those months. they didnt give a +%!* about the employees there. so the employees at my store had to have each others back. i stayed coming into that store on my days off to work, staying late to clean up, basically i was doing everything you could possibly do at the store from doing contracts to repairing trucks. hell i was robbed at the store and when we were robbed was when i trully figured out they aint give a +%!*. my phone got stolen, and other stuff too. all i wanted was my phone back. that was in nov. i aint get a check for my phone until march when i got fired
indifferent.gif
plus they fired me for the worst pettiest reason. i was cleaning a truck and couldnt help a customer so i told my coworker to do it, and some new big shot in the company didnt like that. the regional manager was spooked to say anything to him, but my manager had my back but the big shot was basically flexing his muscles and used me as an example.

its whatever now, i made so much side money selling and installing hitches and other stuff for customers for straight cash and not doing the transaction. i could do that since the inventory was so $%@+*% up, they never figured out why they was missing stuff.
the lids i used to work at is still missing hats because of me and my coworkers who thought like me. ( a few members on here benifited from that
laugh.gif
) teamwork ftw. we would keep customers receipts, take those hatsthen return them for money back, there was so much stuff we did there on the side to make money. it was a fun run while it lasted, we would smoke and drinkin the back of the store, smash females in the back of the store and network with the best of them, i had free food comming my way from panda express, chickfil a, dairy queen, hot dog on a stick, red robin etc.

once i realized the b.s the company pulled and i knew what i could get away with, it was a wrap

Originally Posted by Addicted To Exclusives

Pet Peeves:
Throwing cash and coins on the counter just so i can pick it up.

This irritates me.
mad.gif
I return the gesture by putting their change andreceipt on the counter so they can pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom