SO I GOT BANNED FOR NOT TIPPING LOL

I'm sure this has been brought up in this thread already, but man these delivery fees getting outta hand.

Was bout to order some Dominos a few weeks back just to find out that they chargin $6 for delivery now :sick:

and none of that goes to the drivers... so they want me to tip on top of that? Nah, b. :smh:

The White House is doing something very progressive in looking to eliminate or lower junk fees in the travel and entertainment industry.

Hopefully that puts some pressure on the food industry with these crazy fees. I hate being required to tip, I rather tip according to the service I receive and be able to have the choice.

I'm sure this has been brought up in this thread already, but man these delivery fees getting outta hand.

Was bout to order some Dominos a few weeks back just to find out that they chargin $6 for delivery now :sick:

and none of that goes to the drivers... so they want me to tip on top of that? Nah, b. :smh:

I order food regularly and service/delivery charges are the worst. The fee increases have been over the past few years as online ordering has become more popular |l

The White House is doing something very progressive in looking to eliminate or lower junk fees in the travel and entertainment industry.

Hopefully that puts some pressure on the food industry with these crazy fees. I hate being required to tip, I rather tip according to the service I receive and be able to have the choice.

When you talk about crazy fees are you referring to the fees when you order via an app or when you actually sit down and dine in (ie a service charge). I’m aware of the Biden administration’s efforts to reduce and eliminate junk fees but I thought those were more tied to fees to arbitrarily raise profits while tipping is more tied to worker’s wages so it is a bit trickier to address. I’m not entirely sure but it would definitely be nice be nice.

I wonder what percentage of the service workforce would stand to make less with a universal standard charge as opposed to letting folks tip. It probably would be mostly those at the high end restaurants.

Sounds good in principle, but seeing some of those tips beforehand can be rather disrespectful or demoralizing.

Tipping culture and etiquette is just tricky.
That is my point they shouldn't know how much they are getting because the service level might drop if it is disrespectful. I worked in Silver Diner back in the day and the dude left me a quarter tip.

Gotta join those DD/food groups. PM if you want a link.

I order food regularly and service/delivery charges are the worst. The fee increases have been over the past few years as online ordering has become more popular |l

When you talk about crazy fees are you referring to the fees when you order via an app or when you actually sit down and dine in (ie a service charge). I’m aware of the Biden administration’s efforts to reduce and eliminate junk fees but I thought those were more tied to fees to arbitrarily raise profits while tipping is more tied to worker’s wages so it is a bit trickier to address. I’m not entirely sure but it would definitely be nice be nice.

I wonder what percentage of the service workforce would stand to make less with a universal standard charge as opposed to letting folks tip. It probably would be mostly those at the high end restaurants.
Both apps and dining in for the food industry was what I meant. But yeah, you're spot on with it being tricky to address. They're trying to eliminate the fees being a surprise at the end of checkout for rentals, entertainment and travel. Crazy how all it took for the outrage was a Taylor Swift concert :lol:

There are businesses that just take the service fee and expect customers to tip their employees on top that. Theres also issues with disclosing the fee and surprising diners with it at the end of their meal. I think it's unfair to put the burden on consumers for rising costs, inflation and supply chain issues.

The app fees are ridiculous too like you mentioned. Especially with the delivery fees on top of charging more for the food items than the restaurant themselves. They also have inconsistent fees they charge restaurants for using their services to make even more money so everyone is trying to eat off of us.

It's all one giant mess, and end of the day it's us that has to pay for it. It's good consumers get disclosed this information so we can actually make informed decisions before we dine out or choose to order from an app. It personally drove me away from even going to sit down restaurants or ordering any takeout the last couple of years.

We need to go back to looking at going to restaurants as a luxury. The way we consume is not sustainable. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it's forcing the industry to find so many ways to turn profits at the cost of workers and consumers.

3F2C702C-139E-4EBD-AE7A-B085B2BA89FD.jpeg

We need to go back to looking at going to restaurants as a luxury. The way we consume is not sustainable. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it's forcing the industry to find so many ways to turn profits at the cost of workers and consumers.

I had that EXACT sentence typed yesterday before rewriting my post except it was that I don’t mind tipping because I view dining out/ordering food as a luxury. I use Drizly, UberEats for booze and Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods delivery too and the same principle applies. I don’t feel like my leaving my place, going to the store, picking everything out, waiting in line and taking it back to my place. The tip is the luxury I pay for the convenience IMO.

I had that EXACT sentence typed yesterday before rewriting my post except it was that I don’t mind tipping because I view dining out/ordering food as a luxury. I use Drizly, UberEats for booze and Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods delivery too and the same principle applies. I don’t feel like my leaving my place, going to the store, picking everything out, waiting in line and taking it back to my place. The tip is the luxury I pay for the convenience IMO.
I grew up underprivileged so it was definitely a luxury growing up :lol: Dining out has become the norm and so has having to pay for fees for every little bit of service.

I feel you, I'm the same way. I don't mind paying for convenience and luxury, just don't add on a bunch of BS fees so you can get over on me while having to do less.

I think the simplest way to fix this is to have less transparency.

Apps and in service dining should have a set amount that is inclusive of all fees, taxes, etc.

Example: Doordash delivery
Pizza: $42
Tip: up to you goes to dasher

vs

Pizza: 23
Delivery: 6
Service fee: 7
Local tax: 4
etc etc

Personally i’d go further and simply eliminate tipping. It’s such a dumb system. Let’s reward people for doing their work. Like a gold star in elementary school sort of nonsense. If an employee is good they should simply get paid the right amount + retain their job.

I think the simplest way to fix this is to have less transparency.

Apps and in service dining should have a set amount that is inclusive of all fees, taxes, etc.

Example: Doordash delivery
Pizza: $42
Tip: up to you goes to dasher

vs

Pizza: 23
Delivery: 6
Service fee: 7
Local tax: 4
etc etc

Personally i’d go further and simply eliminate tipping. It’s such a dumb system. Let’s reward people for doing their work. Like a gold star in elementary school sort of nonsense. If an employee is good they should simply get paid the right amount + retain their job.

When people use food delivery apps (GrubHub, UberEats, etc) is the driver affiliated with the restaurant? Who exactly are those delivery and services fees going to? I could see how there is a disconnect if they drivers aren't employees of the establishment.

When people use food delivery apps (GrubHub, UberEats, etc) is the driver affiliated with the restaurant? Who exactly are those delivery and services fees going to? I could see how there is a disconnect if they drivers aren't employees of the establishment.

drivers are self employed. no fees go to them, they all go to the app. no disconnect the apps are just greedy. they get all those fees plus a cut of the actual food price from the restaurant

drivers are self employed. no fees go to them, they all go to the app. no disconnect the apps are just greedy. they get all those fees plus a cut of the actual food price from the restaurant

I meant disconnect in that technically as it stands the consumers are responsible for paying the self-employed drivers via tips rather than the restaurant (and I guess the app too if they aren't giving the drivers anything). The fees seem highly unnecessary since it's not really extra work on their part. Oh well.

the food apps are getting crazy. each food item that restaurants sell are $1 to $5 more than what it would cost if you went in to the restaurant and bought it directly. then they charge an expanded range delivery fee. tax fee. service fee. and tip

what the **** is the point of dash pass if im still gonna be paying ****ing fees to run your app?

many times ive had my order "lost" too and they refuse to compensate me for wasting my ****ing time they just refund me the price i paid in "credit" like wtf?

Found out there's a decent amount of no-tip restaurants in the city that I'll try to visit, some just state up-front there's a service fee, but no tip, others just don't accept tips at all

Saw the menu for one named Ops Pizza in BK where they state their policy

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 5.06.07 PM.png

Those prices seem reasonable assuming 20% gratuity included in New York. They got it right (this is based mostly on the drinks and without know their sizes :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom