So, my desktop computer just refuses to turn on.

About a week ago, I woke up and realized that my computer was off. I didn't turn it off, but I noticed that the power had went out at some point during the night. Went to turn on the tower, and it wouldn't. This had happened a time or two recently, but it usually turned on after a short period of time. It has been at least a week now, and still nothing. I replaced the power cord with an old one... nothing. Everything else works - the monitor, anything I plug into the same surge protector, etc., so it isn't a wide issue.

I don't know !+%* about computers, internally, but by reading, it seems that my "power supply" probably died? Could the power going out have possibly zapped it for good? Is there anything I can try to do without actually replacing said power supply? And aren't said power supplies very specific based on computer model, and difficult to replace?

The computer probably needed replacing soon, anyway, but it will suck to have lost what I had on it. Help. Please. Thanks.

You probably haven't lost what's on it - it's easy to take a hard drive out and connect it to another computer.

If you're thinking of getting another one anyway I would just get it and then copy stuff over - no point wasting money on fixing the old one.

op i have the same problem as you i does this randomly
it turns off itself for no apparent reason
when it turns off just log on back to your computer like 5 minutes

buy a cheap power supply, connect cpu and board power only..see if it posts.. if not, your board is likely dead. if your pc is of the commercial variety..dell,hp etc. most likely its the supply that died

Originally Posted by Phen0m

buy a cheap power supply, connect cpu and board power only..see if it posts.. if not, your board is likely dead. if your pc is of the commercial variety..dell,hp etc. most likely its the supply that died
ditto.

Power supply's are usually ATX since that's what most cases are designed for.  They can run anywhere from $30-70 depending on how much power you need, but can take about 1-2 hours to disconnect and reinstall.

Originally Posted by Dimelo

get a mac

qft.
30t6p3b.gif
i don't understand why this isn't common knowledge to people by now. Look at all the pc problem threads on here alone.
get with the times people
30t6p3b.gif

macs are overrated. but this isnt the thread for that. you all do realize a different os wouldnt stop his hardware from failing right?. mac and pc = x86. stop peddling nonsense opinions.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

get a mac

qft.
30t6p3b.gif
i don't understand why this isn't common knowledge to people by now. Look at all the pc problem threads on here alone.
30t6p3b.gif
What does this have to do with anything? OP is having a hardware issue and his power supply is most likely shot.

You telling me a storm or power outage can't cook a Mac Pro's power supply/logic board/etc? I've seen and worked with it several times.

save the Mac vs. PC arguments
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

get a mac

qft.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
What does this have to do with anything? OP is having a hardware issue and his power supply is most likely shot.

You telling me a storm or power outage can't cook a Mac Pro's power supply/logic board/etc? I've seen and worked with it several times.

save the Mac vs. PC arguments
30t6p3b.gif
i hate these posts, buy a mac, macs are better, PC's suck. blah blah blah blah. I manage an IT group and support over 1,500 users, I have been a computer "geek"  my whole life. I can take apart a computer, put it back together. i can build one from scratch.

a mac has the same chance of failing that a PC does. a power surge, a spilt cup of water, whatever it may be it can happen to both a PC and MAC. most people say, a PC is worse because it can get virus' and a MAC can't.

GUESS WHAT? though they may not be as rampant as a PC virus, there are plenty of things that are out there now that will collapse your MAC to a worthless piece of $$** just like what would happen to your PC.

so all of you can shut the f up about MAC vs PC, its a personal preference.

OP: I can tell you a couple things, don't go to best buys "geek squad" they suck BIG D. you could have an issue with your MB you could have a problem with you power supply, it can be all kinds of issues. if it doesn't turn on completely and you say that instead you want to buy a new one, cause you said you may just do that anyway. If you need help in recovering any of the data off of the old machine please do not hesitate to PM me and i can help walk you through it.

get a mac

qft.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
PC= 90% of the market.  The only difference is with Apple, you pay a premium to take it to a genius and have them repair it for you instead.  That doesn't mean that Mac's don't break, simply that someone is there to take care of it for you.

eek.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
@ all of the haters in this thread. Making up lies about real Macs made from Apple and not those cheap Chinese knock offs failing from power outages and the idea of something making a Mac a piece of poop
roll.gif

get the hate out of your hearts & just accept the fact that macs are the wave now and only those with the $$ can afford to ride.
maybe yall should step yall bread up
ohwell.gif

Spoiler [+]
j/k, pc guy here
Spoiler [+]
OP how old is your machine? If it's quite old you might just be better off building a new machine using the hard drive from your old machine (if it still works)

Originally Posted by seniosoul

*DEAD

why do macs cost so much?
design
os
support
higher resale value than some pcs

Happened to my old pc about five years ago. I also thought it was a power supply so i bought a new one but still nothing. Motherboard likely got fried so i just took the L and bought a new computer. Took the hard drive and RAM out of my old one and put it in the new one. 

Yea that power outage or whatever probably shorted something in the computer...take it to a professional and see what the estimate is...either than that contact the manufacturer or if you have a warranty find out what the replacement policy is...

Most likely power supply. Small possibility its the motherboard.

go to www.newegg.com and purchase a power supply. Youtube a video on how to install a power supply. All you need is a phillip's screwdriver and about 15-20 minutes if you've never done it before.

I say it's worth a shot to replace the Power Supply first, as it's the cheaper of the two options.

If you have any questions, I will gladly offer my help. PM me or check the link in my sig and give me a call. Say you're from #NT and I'll hold you down. If you're in the NYC area (I know your sn says Cleveland, maybe you don't live there anymore?), I got you on testing it.

Back
Top Bottom