Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

With the ON Natural Oats and Whey.... it has 9 grams of sugar per serving, so it would almost be like the instant oatmeal. I don't know about you guys butI would rather have my Quaker brand oatmeal which I believe would be a lower GI carb.

^ when I first started bulking i'd eat around 3K calories daily. I invested into a george foreman grill and started grilling salmon, ground beef, peppers.Now I'm maintaining my weight at 185, I was 155 the begining of summer. I don't eat as much as I used, but to give you a run-down on what you shouldeat if your bulking would be somthing like this:

BF- 5eggs, oatmeal, whey shake
snk- yogurt, banana
lunch-potatoes, chicken breast,veggies
snk- whey protein, tuna sandwich with bread
post workout- whey protein, rice
dinner- rice, ground beef, veggies

^^ 30 lbs this summer is good stuff. Any idea on body fat % increases or does it look pretty lean?

Originally Posted by salembat

With the ON Natural Oats and Whey.... it has 9 grams of sugar per serving, so it would almost be like the instant oatmeal. I don't know about you guys but I would rather have my Quaker brand oatmeal which I believe would be a lower GI carb.
Key word is convenience. If you're not home, mixing a scoop of powder with water and drink it is a lot easier.

The P90x plyos are freakin awesome. I'd highly recommend them. They always kick my butt. And yep lunges are awesome - behind the gluts i'd rate them2nd fiddle in generating power/speed/leap etc..

I usually do my leg day early in the week to give me that foundation of strength, I then let 'em rest throughout the week and polish it off with plyos.Come weekend (game time) I get check my progress during warm ups lol..

Just wondering though, is there ever going to be a day when your never sore after a workout? The day after I do my legs, I get pain for like 3-4 days, itsridiculous. Out all the days I workout, legs are the worst in terms of recovery. My PWO consists of whey + malto/dex. Im aiming for my other body parts to feelthat pain hopefully as well..

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

^ when I first started bulking i'd eat around 3K calories daily. I invested into a george foreman grill and started grilling salmon, ground beef, peppers. Now I'm maintaining my weight at 185, I was 155 the begining of summer. I don't eat as much as I used, but to give you a run-down on what you should eat if your bulking would be somthing like this:

snk- yogurt, banana
You gained 30 lbs in around 3-4 months?
eek.gif
How many of isactually muscle? Pix would be helpful because that's quite a change, dude.

salembat-body fat % does go up when you bulk. This is why you cut.

I'm going to try the other method..."eat as if you were". I'm around 150 lbs now, want to hit 160 by next summer. Going to eat like a 160lbs man and see how it goes in a month or two.

wj4.... Yep makes sense. Another way I've done it is to just throw the uncooked oats into my shaker cup with the whey and drink it.
With the ON stuff i guess it makes it a little easier to drink, although some may want more than the 23 grams of carbs. IMHO of course.

^ when I first started bulking i'd eat around 3K calories daily. I invested into a george foreman grill and started grilling salmon, ground beef, peppers. Now I'm maintaining my weight at 185, I was 155 the begining of summer. I don't eat as much as I used, but to give you a run-down on what you should eat if your bulking would be somthing like this:

snk- yogurt, banana

Regarding cutting/bulking.. here are some great articles. I posted them awhile back, but its good for those new entrants or those just wanting to read up on apotential change etc.

TruthAbout Bulking
Bulk or Cut?

Yeah I've cut and bulked before. I was just wondering what kind of increases in bf% he has seen....
BTW I've read through most of this thread and it seems like you had a pretty impressive cut..?

Originally Posted by salembat

Another way I've done it is to just throw the uncooked oats into my shaker cup with the whey and drink it.
That sounds horrible. Cold water and uncooked oats, I couldn't do it fam.

Haha.. its probably better to blend/ground the oats then shake it with whey. I usually just put oats in a container and then add water and place it in themicrowaves around uni.

everyone should post up their goals....short term, long term, whatever

i know some are trying to lose fat, others gain muscle, others get in better shape for a sport, etc.

Originally Posted by I3

snk- yogurt, banana

Regarding cutting/bulking.. here are some great articles. I posted them awhile back, but its good for those new entrants or those just wanting to read up on a potential change etc.

Truth About Bulking
Bulk or Cut?
I read the second article the first time you posted up. This is part of the reason why I'm going the other route instead of bulk/cut process.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

everyone should post up their goals....short term, long term, whatever

i know some are trying to lose fat, others gain muscle, others get in better shape for a sport, etc.
160 lbs under 10% body fat by summer of 2010. Pretty realistic as I'm 150 lbs at around 12% body fat now.

Yeah its quite interesting.. dude said to just eat at your target bodyweight. I want to get around 150 @ 10%.. maybe mid-next year thats possibly. At the topof my head, thats around 2700ish calories, which is completely do-able for me. Instead of the 500 + over maintenance or 5000k. But truth said, differentstrokes for different folks - nothings right or wrong in the grand scheme of things here.

Im awaiting my caliper from BB to get an idea of how much i've lost since the start of year.. will post up results and maybe pics lol

Originally Posted by wanksta23

any good reliable website to some how check your BF%?
You need some calipers first. But the best route is to get dunked in water.

Yeah its quite interesting.. dude said to just eat at your target bodyweight. I want to get around 150 @ 10%.. maybe mid-next year thats possibly. At the top of my head, thats around 2700ish calories, which is completely do-able for me. Instead of the 500 + over maintenance or 5000k. But truth said, different strokes for different folks - nothings right or wrong in the grand scheme of things here.

How often are you working out?

I read the article and I fall under the middle range since I only exercise about 6-7 hours a week. So 160x16=2560.

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

Originally Posted by Rompe Toto

vrp32tl - na I usually do it in the afternoon Im not a morning person
I am by no means buff like you or Ai Audi but do a lot of reading regarding fat loss to mid section. Most of the articles I have read have stated to lose maximum body fat it is best to run in morning. Something to do with your body already being in starvation mode. Since it is already in this mode your body will look for a nutrient source which on an empty stomach would be fat. I'll try to find an article and post for you.
most of that information is misleading. to reduce fat, you have to burn calories, whether it be from glucose/glycogen/fat/broken downmuscle/whatever. low and moderate intensity cardio preferentially uses the body's fat stores for energy. this happens regardless of being in a fastingstate or starvation mode. however, working out in starvation mode is far from ideal, because your body will compensate by trying to be more metabolicallyefficient. your metabolic rate will slow down, and you won't be able to push yourself as long, so you won't be able to burn as many calories.

another thing to consider is you goal. if you want to have the physique a long distance runner, you train like one. on the other hand, if you want to havethe physique similar to a running back/power forward/body builder, lots of long distance running is counter productive to your goal.

rompe - if you want to burn off more of that midsection fat, i'd recommend focusing on your diet and doing something like HIIT for cardio. you can alsotry complexes or tabata protocol. any one of those will give you better and faster results that long distance running if you do them with the appropriateintensity. make sure you eat well, but try to stay within a maintenance range of calories. always eat breakfast first thing in the morning, limit your highGI carbs as much as possible (immediately post workout is ok), and make sure you don't overtrain.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

Originally Posted by Rompe Toto

vrp32tl - na I usually do it in the afternoon Im not a morning person
I am by no means buff like you or Ai Audi but do a lot of reading regarding fat loss to mid section. Most of the articles I have read have stated to lose maximum body fat it is best to run in morning. Something to do with your body already being in starvation mode. Since it is already in this mode your body will look for a nutrient source which on an empty stomach would be fat. I'll try to find an article and post for you.
most of that information is misleading. to reduce fat, you have to burn calories, whether it be from glucose/glycogen/fat/broken down muscle/whatever. low and moderate intensity cardio preferentially uses the body's fat stores for energy. this happens regardless of being in a fasting state or starvation mode. however, working out in starvation mode is far from ideal, because your body will compensate by trying to be more metabolically efficient. your metabolic rate will slow down, and you won't be able to push yourself as long, so you won't be able to burn as many calories.

another thing to consider is you goal. if you want to have the physique a long distance runner, you train like one. on the other hand, if you want to have the physique similar to a running back/power forward/body builder, lots of long distance running is counter productive to your goal.

rompe - if you want to burn off more of that midsection fat, i'd recommend focusing on your diet and doing something like HIIT for cardio. you can also try complexes or tabata protocol. any one of those will give you better and faster results that long distance running if you do them with the appropriate intensity. make sure you eat well, but try to stay within a maintenance range of calories. always eat breakfast first thing in the morning, limit your high GI carbs as much as possible (immediately post workout is ok), and make sure you don't overtrain.

Really?? See I've been told different things and have read different things as well. I'm not saying your wrong or I'm right, just want to get theright information. This just a quick lookup i did on bodybuilding.com:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mercedes2.htm

Do your cardio sessions first thing in the morningon an empty stomach. No, I didn't say you can't have breakfast. You'll just be doing 45 minutes of cardio before eating. This is because your stomach is empty, you have been sleeping for the past 8 hours (hopefully), and your body will be inits body fat-burning zone sooner on this time.

If you have to have something, have a cup of coffee or tea. You can have your coffee with fat-free sugar-free Coffee mate and Splenda if you like. If youprefer tea, go for green tea and sweeten with Splenda if you like.

ar.jpg
View Green Tea Products Sorted By Top Sellers Here.

Now, when you do cardio, you can go for the elliptical machine (my favorite), the treadmill, the bike or the Stairmaster or stepper. I recommend theStairmaster or stepper for those who want to put the accent on tightening their glutes (bottom) and hamstring and thigh area.

Always choose for 'Manual' and go with how it feels. Choose a level that is high enough for you to feel like you're having a good cardiosession, but just so that you are still able to speak. We want you to stay in your fat burning zone, so don't go too fast or too high with intensity. Whenyou have shortness of breath, you are going too fast / intense.

Originally Posted by wj4

Yeah its quite interesting.. dude said to just eat at your target bodyweight. I want to get around 150 @ 10%.. maybe mid-next year thats possibly. At the top of my head, thats around 2700ish calories, which is completely do-able for me. Instead of the 500 + over maintenance or 5000k. But truth said, different strokes for different folks - nothings right or wrong in the grand scheme of things here.
How often are you working out?

I read the article and I fall under the middle range since I only exercise about 6-7 hours a week. So 160x16=2560.

Working out pretty much everyday except Sunday. Just about to finish up P90x. Then will start up a gym programme and possibly increase my calories tomaintenance at first, evaluate then adjust from there. I do play ball 3-4x a week as well. So im fairly active. I have one last paper this semester tograduate as well.. So the big picture for me is by this summer (in NZ) is Bachelors Degree + Fit Body + Great Weather = best summer ever lol

Maybe take some BCAA's when doing the early morning cardio to stay anti catabolic. Also I have read a study or article somewhere that states one should notworkout until at least 8 hours after doing early morning cardio. I'll see if I can find it.

From a post someone made over at a BB site....Kia Greene, a contestant at the Mr Olympia. Current Arnold Classic winner.
Alot of people have no idea how hard pro BBrs work and are usually called cheater and lazy because of steroid use. But they actually work harder and trainharder.

Very motivational dude. Much respect
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by mike pulcinella

Just sent a tape to Robbie of footage that I shot last night of Kai working chest at Gold Gym. It was an incredibly intense session. Toward the end Kai's body began to give out on him. I'm paraphrasing Oscar, so I'm probably getting alot of this wrong but Kai's muscles stopped contracting because he is so calorie deprived at this point. He said something about the sugars in the muscles was completely depleted. Still Kai powered on.

I hope some of the intensity comes through in the tripod footage I mailed to Robbie. Please don't blame him if it's a little spotty at times. I'm running two cameras and the documentary hand-held shots must take precedence.

The chest workout happened during the night. After that and a supermarket stop we got back to the hotel at 2:30 AM. Even though Osacr was going to let him off the hook, half an hour later Kai felt ready to go back and do cardio, so we piled in the car and drove back to the gym!

Later today we go shopping for more food. Then more cardio and another workout. I've never seen a human being pushed like this. It's beyond endurance and is almost a monk-like ordeal. Kai rarely speaks. He listens to motivational tapes all day, writing in a journal when he isn't eating, sleeping or working out. His intensity, and focus is almost frightening, yet he projects an aura of calm so that I feel very relaxed when I am in his presence.

So far this has been an amazing experience.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Oh yeah, just for reference, what can I do to get obliques like L2L or Joe camel? yesterday I did some of these:

Needless to say, with 55 lb dumbell at 4x15 for each side, I woke up today so sore that I couldn't sneeze without hurting. Anything else you guys have for me?
Do those, but reduce the weight SIGNIFICANTLY and put the DBS over your head.

Edit:

Also, Id question every article on BB.com. Its just like reading from Mens Health... not the most credible source.

I'm doing a workout with two of my friends (starting yesterday). I thought one of my friends made it up on his own, but I found out tonight it is the LLCool J workout from his book.

Anyone ever do it? See results?

I'm pretty pumped; it's 15 weeks or so long. Did legs tonight, sore as %%%@.

Back
Top Bottom