Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Sup guys?
pimp.gif

I tried to eat hard boiled egg whites today instead of frying them.
What do you guys usually eat them with? Those joints where dry as hell and I started to taste
sick.gif
by the 4th one (I had 6)

Originally Posted by wj4

Fellas, just ignore the troll. The thread has come too far to get shut down.

Going back to this...

You still mix it like regular whey protein powder? Is it meant to be a meal replacement? I Google'd it and the cal is 200, more than the normal whey protein...so I was just wondering.
just curious how many protein shakes you take a day?

that + whey + cassein at night? you must be spending like a $120 a month on protein

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Oh yeah, just for reference, what can I do to get obliques like L2L or Joe camel? yesterday I did some of these:

Needless to say, with 55 lb dumbell at 4x15 for each side, I woke up today so sore that I couldn't sneeze without hurting. Anything else you guys have for me?
Do those, but reduce the weight SIGNIFICANTLY and put the DBS over your head.

Edit:

Also, Id question every article on BB.com. Its just like reading from Mens Health... not the most credible source.

Im lost.. so for the oblique exercise that dude posted up, we should put the bumbells above our head?

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by Rompe Toto

vrp32tl - na I usually do it in the afternoon Im not a morning person
I am by no means buff like you or Ai Audi but do a lot of reading regarding fat loss to mid section. Most of the articles I have read have stated to lose maximum body fat it is best to run in morning. Something to do with your body already being in starvation mode. Since it is already in this mode your body will look for a nutrient source which on an empty stomach would be fat. I'll try to find an article and post for you.
most of that information is misleading. to reduce fat, you have to burn calories, whether it be from glucose/glycogen/fat/broken down muscle/whatever. low and moderate intensity cardio preferentially uses the body's fat stores for energy. this happens regardless of being in a fasting state or starvation mode. however, working out in starvation mode is far from ideal, because your body will compensate by trying to be more metabolically efficient. your metabolic rate will slow down, and you won't be able to push yourself as long, so you won't be able to burn as many calories.

another thing to consider is you goal. if you want to have the physique a long distance runner, you train like one. on the other hand, if you want to have the physique similar to a running back/power forward/body builder, lots of long distance running is counter productive to your goal.

rompe - if you want to burn off more of that midsection fat, i'd recommend focusing on your diet and doing something like HIIT for cardio. you can also try complexes or tabata protocol. any one of those will give you better and faster results that long distance running if you do them with the appropriate intensity. make sure you eat well, but try to stay within a maintenance range of calories. always eat breakfast first thing in the morning, limit your high GI carbs as much as possible (immediately post workout is ok), and make sure you don't overtrain.

Really?? See I've been told different things and have read different things as well. I'm not saying your wrong or I'm right, just want to get the right information. This just a quick lookup i did on bodybuilding.com:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mercedes2.htm

Do your cardio sessions first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. No, I didn't say you can't have breakfast. You'll just be doing 45 minutes of cardio before eating. This is because your stomach is empty, you have been sleeping for the past 8 hours (hopefully), and your body will be in its body fat-burning zone sooner on this time.

If you have to have something, have a cup of coffee or tea. You can have your coffee with fat-free sugar-free Coffee mate and Splenda if you like. If you prefer tea, go for green tea and sweeten with Splenda if you like.

ar.jpg
View Green Tea Products Sorted By Top Sellers Here.

Now, when you do cardio, you can go for the elliptical machine (my favorite), the treadmill, the bike or the Stairmaster or stepper. I recommend the Stairmaster or stepper for those who want to put the accent on tightening their glutes (bottom) and hamstring and thigh area.

Always choose for 'Manual' and go with how it feels. Choose a level that is high enough for you to feel like you're having a good cardio session, but just so that you are still able to speak. We want you to stay in your fat burning zone, so don't go too fast or too high with intensity. When you have shortness of breath, you are going too fast / intense.
man oh man. i just spent 10 minutes typing out a nice thorough reply and my comp restarted before i hit post. fml.

ok, to keep this somewhat short, there's a LOT of information out there, and a lot of is contradictory. people (even some "trainers") will saystuff like "do 500 crunches a day for a six pack" and not enough people question it. a good portion of "knowledge" is passed down as solidscience, even though it's more anecdotal that anything. even at the highest level, you'll find scientific research that is contradictory, but in thecase of basic training principles, it's a little easier to pick out the misleading information.

most of the articles i've seen promoting cardio or workout before breakfast say it's because your body will burn mostly fat for energy. this is true,but it's not the whole truth. the real key to losing fat is being at a negative energy balance, or in other words, taking in less calories than you use. bodyfat is stored energy. what these articles fail to address are the many sources of energy your body uses. for example, high intensity exercise usesglycogen and glucose in the blood for energy. does this mean nothing happens to your fat? no, it means that fat is later converted into other forms of energyto replace these highly available forms. for the same reason, you can eat a diet with absolutely no fat, and still not lose an once of bodyfat. your bodywill convert excess protein and carbs into fat.

these articles also fail to note that your body tries to maintain homeostatis, especially with your metabolism. if you starve yourself, your metabolism willslow down and you eventually break down tissues you don't need for survival, like excess muscle tissue. if you workout in fasting state or in starvationmode, your body will react by becoming more catabolic and by slowing your metabolism. that is counterproductive to your goals. by eating a meal before yourcardio/workout, you keep your metabolism up, and you have more readily available fuel so you can work out harder and longer. in general, the harder and longeryou workout, the more calories you burn. this contributes to a negative energy balance, which is the key for burning fat.

in addition, low intensity or steady state cardio isn't the most effective way to burn bodyfat. high intensity exercise like HIIT/complexes/tabataprotocol takes less time and helps burn fat long after you stop exercising. this is due to EPOC, or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, something youonly get from high intensity exercise. instead of burning mainly bodyfat, these exercise use up large amounts of glycogen and glucose, which is regenerated byconverting body fat.

Wj4 not full but def keeps u satisfied for a lil while. Think of a small portion meal I guess.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

i mean im not suggesting pre-workout shots but i think the "alcohol inhibits test production" theory is largely exaggerated or untrue.

anyway

on all my lifts recently instead of pyramiding up like i normally do ive been trying a warmup set followed by my heaviest, then pyramiding down. not sure how i feel about it, but i needed to mix it up.

I swtiched that that reverse pyramid type of lifting and i'll never go back to the standard pyramid set scheme. I LOVE it. You wont notice much of a size increase, but youll certainly get stronger.

Also, what makes those vitamins better than the rest. To me, any one a day vitamin is more than enough for every person.
most multis are loaded with crazy high dv% because theyre all synthetic with piss-poor bioavailability and in random, often in ratios to one another that makes absorbtion of certain ingredients even more difficult.

i could post up some research concerning why ortho-core is superior, i have a killer headache right now im about to take a nap but ill post it up tonight.

i think what turns most people off is the price, but youre getting a lot for your money.

as for the reverse pyramid yeah i feel like having my 4th or 5th set be the heaviest makes little to no sense.........any reasons/ideas as to why it doesnt add mass though?

Id be interested in reading some reserach on why certain multi's are better than others....

With any type of lifting program the first set is always the most important and every set after gets marginally less effective. I shouldnt say it doesnt add mass. Thats a blanket statement, and it actually depends on how youre setting up your set scheme. If it was 10,12,15 for example then it will put on more mass than say 6,8,10,12 (which is what i do). With my first set (6) it's essentially a strength rep with each set being less effective than the previous even though its in a mass building rep range.

The hardest part is determing what weight youre going to start your sets with.

idk.

I don't hit my stride until the 3rd set and on most of the time.

The reverse pyramid makes sense if you're training until muscle fatigue but other than that it's prob. counter productive.

How is it counter productive? Its biomechanically set up the same way the body works.

If you dont hit your stride till the 3rd set then your first 2 arent high enough.

I don't see how you can be at 100% for your first working set if you're working heavy.
If you somehow are then you're warm up sets are prob. done for too many reps/ too high a weight.

It also depends how far apart (weight wise) your working sets are. If I'm doing 4 sets than thee is prob. a difference of 20lbs. between the 1st set andthe 4th set.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Oh yeah, just for reference, what can I do to get obliques like L2L or Joe camel? yesterday I did some of these:

Needless to say, with 55 lb dumbell at 4x15 for each side, I woke up today so sore that I couldn't sneeze without hurting. Anything else you guys have for me?
Do those, but reduce the weight SIGNIFICANTLY and put the DBS over your head.

Edit:

Also, Id question every article on BB.com. Its just like reading from Mens Health... not the most credible source.

Im lost.. so for the oblique exercise that dude posted up, we should put the bumbells above our head?

Yeah def. It's not as "manly" as holding a 45lb plate and doing side crunches, but a 10lb dumbbell held overhead arms extended will be much moreeffective.

I don't see how you can be at 100% for your first working set if you're working heavy.
If you somehow are then you're warm up sets are prob. done for too many reps/ too high a weight.

It also depends how far apart (weight wise) your working sets are. If I'm doing 4 sets than thee is prob. a difference of 20lbs. between the 1st set and the 4th set.
How does it not make sense? If you havent done any sets yet, then youre going to be at 100%. If I just filled up my car with gas, I wont be at100% after I drove it 20 miles.

Bench press for example: After a dynamic warmup, Ill do a few light rotator cuff/shoulder exercises to loosen up my shoulder joint. Then I hop on the bench,just grab the bare bar and do about 10 reps from my normal hand position, 3 or so from a closer grip, then a few slow ones at a reallly wide grip. I put onthe heaviest weight then rep it out 6 times... next set is 8...10....12.

It's really a totally different way of thinking and it takes a few times to get used to it, but it really is effective.

My rule of thumb (personal experience, not scientifically backed at all) is that an I increase/decrease the amount of resistance 10 lbs per rep. So If I do160 lbs at 6 reps i'll most likely go to 140 lbs for 8 reps. It's my personal base marker and I adjust it from there depending on how I feel that day.

O yea to the guy about the 9 grams of sugar in the natural oats, I'm not worried about that, I like the profile, taste and its natural. Good carb/proteinration. The 9 grams sugar from the honey or something, ill check again when I'm home.

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

So for muscle building reverse or normal pyramids?

Also, do you guys think its better to work with a higher overall range (1x10,1x12,1x15) or something like 1x6,1x8,1x10?

Is there any difference between iso exercises and compound ones as far as pyramids go?

It also depends how far apart (weight wise) your working sets are. If I'm doing 4 sets than thee is prob. a difference of 20lbs. between the 1st set and the 4th set.
How does it not make sense? If you havent done any sets yet, then youre going to be at 100%. If I just filled up my car with gas, I wont be at 100% after I drove it 20 miles.

Bench press for example: After a dynamic warmup, Ill do a few light rotator cuff/shoulder exercises to loosen up my shoulder joint. Then I hop on the bench, just grab the bare bar and do about 10 reps from my normal hand position, 3 or so from a closer grip, then a few slow ones at a reallly wide grip. I put on the heaviest weight then rep it out 6 times... next set is 8...10....12.

It's really a totally different way of thinking and it takes a few times to get used to it, but it really is effective.

My rule of thumb (personal experience, not scientifically backed at all) is that an I increase/decrease the amount of resistance 10 lbs per rep. So If I do 160 lbs at 6 reps i'll most likely go to 140 lbs for 8 reps. It's my personal base marker and I adjust it from there depending on how I feel that day.

Either you're 1st set isn't as heavy as you can really go or you're subsequent sets aren't as heavy as they can be.
Like I said before, this is great for working till muscle exhaustion (building mass) and how you've described it I think that's what it is.

On the other hand it's not working heavy , if that makes sense.

I'm not saying it's a bad way to train because it's prob. one of the better ones for working till exhaustion but heavy is very relative whentraining in this way.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

^ when I first started bulking i'd eat around 3K calories daily. I invested into a george foreman grill and started grilling salmon, ground beef, peppers. Now I'm maintaining my weight at 185, I was 155 the begining of summer. I don't eat as much as I used, but to give you a run-down on what you should eat if your bulking would be somthing like this:

BF- 5eggs, oatmeal, whey shake
snk- yogurt, banana
lunch-potatoes, chicken breast,veggies
snk- whey protein, tuna sandwich with bread
post workout- whey protein, rice
dinner- rice, ground beef, veggies
You gained 30 lbs in around 3-4 months?
eek.gif
How many of is actually muscle? Pix would be helpful because that's quite a change, dude.

salembat-body fat % does go up when you bulk. This is why you cut.

I'm going to try the other method..."eat as if you were". I'm around 150 lbs now, want to hit 160 by next summer. Going to eat like a 160 lbs man and see how it goes in a month or two.

See I'm 6'3 so 185 on me still looks "skinny" to me at least. And I have an ectomorph type of metabolism which enables me to still have sometype of muscle definition cause of my muscle structure. However, though I still wish to gain more, I think Iv'e targeted my weight gain cause I'mtrying to cut really soon. And to be honest I can't wait for that transition 'HIIT' sounds real exiciting no doubt.

Dude, you used to be heavy my opinion would be to eat like your 150, of course your intake will be healthy but just incase you never know, you wouldn'twant unwanted fat from that result.

Also, do you guys think its better to work with a higher overall range (1x10,1x12,1x15) or something like 1x6,1x8,1x10?

Is there any difference between iso exercises and compound ones as far as pyramids go?
If you want to train for mass then stick with high volume ( high reps (8+) and many sets). You want to work till muscle fatigue. In this case theweight you're lifting doesn't matter as much as how hard you're working out a particular muscle/muscle grouping.

If you want to train for strength than stick with low reps (1-6) and fewer sets ( 3-5). In this case you're basically training for speed/power and workingwithin a prescribed percentage of your 1 rep max.

How does it not make sense? If you havent done any sets yet, then youre going to be at 100%. If I just filled up my car with gas, I wont be at 100% after I drove it 20 miles.

Bench press for example: After a dynamic warmup, Ill do a few light rotator cuff/shoulder exercises to loosen up my shoulder joint. Then I hop on the bench, just grab the bare bar and do about 10 reps from my normal hand position, 3 or so from a closer grip, then a few slow ones at a reallly wide grip. I put on the heaviest weight then rep it out 6 times... next set is 8...10....12.

My rule of thumb (personal experience, not scientifically backed at all) is that an I increase/decrease the amount of resistance 10 lbs per rep. So If I do 160 lbs at 6 reps i'll most likely go to 140 lbs for 8 reps. It's my personal base marker and I adjust it from there depending on how I feel that day.
Either you're 1st set isn't as heavy as you can really go or you're subsequent sets aren't as heavy as they can be.
Like I said before, this is great for working till muscle exhaustion (building mass) and how you've described it I think that's what it is.

I'm not saying it's a bad way to train because it's prob. one of the better ones for working till exhaustion but heavy is very relative when training in this way.

Well assuming my first set is the heaviest it can be (which is the difficult part of this method), then each subsequent set weight shouldntmatter. The benefits from sets 2 through 5 are extremely marginal.

It still is working heavy. Its physically set up just like the body works and its a higher workload than if I did it in the other method. If I start with 225for a given exercise in the reverse pyramid method, Im absolutely not going to get to 225 if going in the typical pyramid scheme.

The first set is the most important, and I just dont like exhausting my muscles before I get to my heaviest resistance.

I'm not saying it's a bad way to train because it's prob. one of the better ones for working till exhaustion but heavy is very relative when training in this way.
Well assuming my first set is the heaviest it can be (which is the difficult part of this method), then each subsequent set weight shouldnt matter. The benefits from sets 2 through 5 are extremely marginal.

It still is working heavy. Its physically set up just like the body works and its a higher workload than if I did it in the other method. If I start with 225 for a given exercise in the reverse pyramid method, Im absolutely not going to get to 225 if going in the typical pyramid scheme.

The first set is the most important, and I just dont like exhausting my muscles before I get to my heaviest resistance.

For muscle fatigue it prob. works the way in which you say it does. When the more inexperienced people read this method though they have to realize fatiguemeans total fatigue or else the method is pretty in between and doesn't accomplish much.

I've personally never trained until fatigue though.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

cs02132 which flavor is better?

i remember that bb sale too, it was when they are fairly new also, at the time i had so much protein on hand so i just didnt care.

i only got the chocolate..im not a big fan of vanilla flavored proteins

For muscle fatigue it prob. works the way in which you say it does. When the more inexperienced people read this method though they have to realize fatigue means total fatigue or else the method is pretty in between and doesn't accomplish much.

Oh, for someone inexperienced its def. not the best way to go about exercising. The CNS development just isnt there yet.

For muscle fatigue it prob. works the way in which you say it does. When the more inexperienced people read this method though they have to realize fatigue means total fatigue or else the method is pretty in between and doesn't accomplish much.

Oh, for someone inexperienced its def. not the best way to go about exercising. The CNS development just isnt there yet.

I don't think it's that taxing on the CNS to be honest. Typically, only 80, 85%+ 1rm is usually extremely taxing.

It's just that this scheme requires working until muscle fatigue/exhaustion.

If you want to train for mass then stick with high volume ( high reps (8+) and many sets). You want to work till muscle fatigue. In this case the weight you're lifting doesn't matter as much as how hard you're working out a particular muscle/muscle grouping.

If you want to train for strength than stick with low reps (1-6) and fewer sets ( 3-5). In this case you're basically training for speed/power and working within a prescribed percentage of your 1 rep max.

Many sets? like 3-5?

And where does pyramid, reverse-pyramid fit in here? Or do you think it doesn't fit in at all? Thanks, btw.

audi-yes i'm doing AEN stack. the first thing i've really experienced is the stamina. it's been a week now, and i feel like i can go on for anotherhour.
also, strength is just starting to go up again. i expect that by the end of the month, size will become more pronounced. but yeah, quality stuff. can't sayenough about it. plus, the wildberry flavor is actually pretty freaking good. it was too sweet at first, but i just added a bit more water. really good.

response to joe cam

GOALS-
Weight up to 150, maybe 160
body fat remain where it's at (somewhere in the 6%-9% range).

TIME FRAME
might take another year. i was on pace to get there this year, but a bunch of stuff (plateau, vacation, a few bad-feeling days) set me off course. shizzzz.

im trying to lose weight.
i was wondering if i drink the apple cider vinegary will that work? is it ok if i do it?

yo i just realized

when i said intrabolic was underdosed

thats because on the label they just changed their serving size to half of what it used to be and got smaller scoops so it has 40 servings instead of 20.

im gonna keep taking the og dose which i feel is perfect....i think they did this because of complaints about the price.....double the servings makes it lookmore affordable.

im excited to try the wild berry flavor
laugh.gif
, got two tubs of it and i'm almost out of citrus ice so i'll be trying it soon

also not that anyone cares but ive decided to stay all natural for the time being.....i was frustrated with lifting for a little because almost all of myfriends who are as big or bigger than me have taken ph/ds's or aas and made huge gains.....but at the end of the day i think my goals are attainablenaturally, so thats how ill stay for now.

verynecessary wrote:

verynecessary wrote:
vrp32tl wrote:
Originally Posted by Rompe Toto

vrp32tl - na I usually do it in the afternoon Im not a morning person
I am by no means buff like you or Ai Audi but do a lot of reading regarding fat loss to mid section. Most of the articles I have read have stated to lose maximum body fat it is best to run in morning. Something to do with your body already being in starvation mode. Since it is already in this mode your body will look for a nutrient source which on an empty stomach would be fat. I'll try to find an article and post for you.
most of that information is misleading. to reduce fat, you have to burn calories, whether it be from glucose/glycogen/fat/broken down muscle/whatever. low and moderate intensity cardio preferentially uses the body's fat stores for energy. this happens regardless of being in a fasting state or starvation mode. however, working out in starvation mode is far from ideal, because your body will compensate by trying to be more metabolically efficient. your metabolic rate will slow down, and you won't be able to push yourself as long, so you won't be able to burn as many calories.

another thing to consider is you goal. if you want to have the physique a long distance runner, you train like one. on the other hand, if you want to have the physique similar to a running back/power forward/body builder, lots of long distance running is counter productive to your goal.

rompe - if you want to burn off more of that midsection fat, i'd recommend focusing on your diet and doing something like HIIT for cardio. you can also try complexes or tabata protocol. any one of those will give you better and faster results that long distance running if you do them with the appropriate intensity. make sure you eat well, but try to stay within a maintenance range of calories. always eat breakfast first thing in the morning, limit your high GI carbs as much as possible (immediately post workout is ok), and make sure you don't overtrain.

Really?? See I've been told different things and have read different things as well. I'm not saying your wrong or I'm right, just want to get the right information. This just a quick lookup i did on bodybuilding.com:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mercedes2.htm

Do your cardio sessions first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. No, I didn't say you can't have breakfast. You'll just be doing 45 minutes of cardio before eating. This is because your stomach is empty, you have been sleeping for the past 8 hours (hopefully), and your body will be in its body fat-burning zone sooner on this time.

If you have to have something, have a cup of coffee or tea. You can have your coffee with fat-free sugar-free Coffee mate and Splenda if you like. If you prefer tea, go for green tea and sweeten with Splenda if you like.

ar.jpg
View Green Tea Products Sorted By Top Sellers Here.

Now, when you do cardio, you can go for the elliptical machine (my favorite), the treadmill, the bike or the Stairmaster or stepper. I recommend the Stairmaster or stepper for those who want to put the accent on tightening their glutes (bottom) and hamstring and thigh area.

Always choose for 'Manual' and go with how it feels. Choose a level that is high enough for you to feel like you're having a good cardio session, but just so that you are still able to speak. We want you to stay in your fat burning zone, so don't go too fast or too high with intensity. When you have shortness of breath, you are going too fast / intense.

man oh man. i just spent 10 minutes typing out a nice thorough reply and my comp restarted before i hit post. fml.

ok, to keep this somewhat short, there's a LOT of information out there, and a lot of is contradictory. people (even some "trainers") will say stuff like "do 500 crunches a day for a six pack" and not enough people question it. a good portion of "knowledge" is passed down as solid science, even though it's more anecdotal that anything. even at the highest level, you'll find scientific research that is contradictory, but in the case of basic training principles, it's a little easier to pick out the misleading information.

most of the articles i've seen promoting cardio or workout before breakfast say it's because your body will burn mostly fat for energy. this is true, but it's not the whole truth. the real key to losing fat is being at a negative energy balance, or in other words, taking in less calories than you use. bodyfat is stored energy. what these articles fail to address are the many sources of energy your body uses. for example, high intensity exercise uses glycogen and glucose in the blood for energy. does this mean nothing happens to your fat? no, it means that fat is later converted into other forms of energy to replace these highly available forms. for the same reason, you can eat a diet with absolutely no fat, and still not lose an once of bodyfat. your body will convert excess protein and carbs into fat.

these articles also fail to note that your body tries to maintain homeostatis, especially with your metabolism. if you starve yourself, your metabolism will slow down and you eventually break down tissues you don't need for survival, like excess muscle tissue. if you workout in fasting state or in starvation mode, your body will react by becoming more catabolic and by slowing your metabolism. that is counterproductive to your goals. by eating a meal before your cardio/workout, you keep your metabolism up, and you have more readily available fuel so you can work out harder and longer. in general, the harder and longer you workout, the more calories you burn. this contributes to a negative energy balance, which is the key for burning fat.

in addition, low intensity or steady state cardio isn't the most effective way to burn bodyfat. high intensity exercise like HIIT/complexes/tabata protocol takes less time and helps burn fat long after you stop exercising. this is due to EPOC, or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, something you only get from high intensity exercise. instead of burning mainly bodyfat, these exercise use up large amounts of glycogen and glucose, which is regenerated by converting body fat.

eek.gif
My man! Droppin knowledge. All this time I've been thinking runningin the morning was vital to me losing my extra fat. I knew about this HIITs workout but assumed a morning HIIT would max fat weight loss. Good info bro.

Back
Top Bottom