Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by ericescobar

man, just got back from vacation. i hit the gym today, and found out i dropped 10 freaking pounds! wtFFF!
i was away for two weeks without a gym and protein was at a minimum. i didn't eat as well as i normally do.
my strength was down a bit today and i had to cut my workout a little short because i didn't think i could get through it.
any of you guys lose mass and regain it quickly?
i bet a good amount of that is weight loss is water. get better hydrated and bring your calories up again and you should back on track in notime. in fact, many people find they're stronger after an extended break from lifting (letting your muscles fully recover and rebuild and eliminating anysigns of overtraining).

how much were you taking in before the vacation? were u doing 5000 calories plus?

#$@* fast food lol.. its so hard to stay away from cookies, chips, chocolates.. got damn son.

chicken, fish, bread, vegetables................................... my body will explode soon lol

I like this thread, I like reading it in the mornings before I hit the gym. I know I dont post that much anymore, but its good motivation to see other peoplecaring about fitness and trying to improve themselves as much as possible

My legs are so sore today! But thats why I like my trainer she pushes me way harder then I ever push myself. I see her just once a month to put me back ontrack with what I should be doing and I always feel it for the next day or two.

I just started bulking...

I work out 3x a week, and I do a 10 min cardio warm up before each workout, and 20 min interval cardio right after.

Can/should I still keep doing that?

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

I work out 3x a week, and I do a 10 min cardio warm up before each workout, and 20 min interval cardio right after.

if ur bulking, ur gonna wanna cut out that 20 minute post-life cardio.

Originally Posted by Club29

if ur bulking, ur gonna wanna cut out that 20 minute post-life cardio.
My thing is, I really don't want to lose my abs.
ohwell.gif

But I'll cut it out if that's what's best.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by I3

#$@* fast food lol.. its so hard to stay away from cookies, chips, chocolates.. got damn son.

chicken, fish, bread, vegetables................................... my body will explode soon lol

ive actually done well staying away from sweets, im seriously addicted to candy and one day i just said F it i need to stop. been almost 3 weeks and haventeaten any kind of candy. Fast food is whats hard
frown.gif

For me I find doing 5 minutes of cardio or any cardio before doing lifting effects my lifting performance a lot in a negative way. Like I can't lift asmuch or as many reps as I could without cardio. That's just me though.

chocolate has and always will be my weak point...I love it, and it doesn't help that I'm a pastry chef lol

I always said I would work out every day of the week to be able to still enjoy eating certain things I love.....but it is slightly counterproductive . Soeverything in moderation....I just figure whats the point of living if you cant have the things you enjoy most even once in a while?

Originally Posted by gatorad3

For me I find doing 5 minutes of cardio or any cardio before doing lifting effects my lifting performance a lot in a negative way. Like I can't lift as much or as many reps as I could without cardio. That's just me though.
I have noticed this too, but I just don't like starting off cold.

Okay this is what I ate Mon-Sat. last week... I'm trying to put on some weight, but I want to put it on as clean as possible so if you have anysuggestions, I'm all ears.

Morning (9-10) - bowl of oatmeal, glass of OJ

11 - Banana

Lunch (12-1) - 1 1/2 cup of brown rice

3 - Banana

2nd meal (4-5) - 1 1/2 cup of brown rice

6 - Banana

7 - Banana or can of tuna on wheat

9 (post workout) - can of tuna on wheat, 1 1/2 cup of brown rice.

sidenotes: I drink roughly 90-100 oz. of water a day... I ran out of whey protein so I have none in last weeks, but I bought some more over the weekend, soinclude two shakes in their, more than likely pre/post workout. I know I need some more carbs, I need suggestions, the thing is, I work 4-5 days out of theweek, 11-7, then have to get to the gym before 9 (univ. rec center closes early during summer)... any suggestions? should I be eating more rice at eachserving? throw in 2 slices of bread?

^IDK your weight but it seems like you need more protein from sources like chicken, fish and nuts.
From what I read most of your protein is coming from shakes.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Okay this is what I ate Mon-Sat. last week... I'm trying to put on some weight, but I want to put it on as clean as possible so if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

11 - Banana

3 - Banana

6 - Banana

sidenotes: I drink roughly 90-100 oz. of water a day... I ran out of whey protein so I have none in last weeks, but I bought some more over the weekend, so include two shakes in their, more than likely pre/post workout. I know I need some more carbs, I need suggestions, the thing is, I work 4-5 days out of the week, 11-7, then have to get to the gym before 9 (univ. rec center closes early during summer)... any suggestions? should I be eating more rice at each serving? throw in 2 slices of bread
You're diet needs waaay more protein especially if you're trying to get bigger. It has lots of carbohydtrates in it too. You should tryadding some eggs into your diet like boiled eggs. Also chicken breasts, fish like salmon, cottage cheese (tastes good mixed with some yogurt), also need morehealthy fats like you could get some flax seed mixed with the oatmeal.

Also you should try eating above your maintenance level in terms of calories.
A good way to calculate your maintenance is here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and then eat 300-500 calories above that.

A good way to keep track of your calories is using this website called www.fitday.com .

Originally Posted by gatorad3

Originally Posted by doyung9

Okay this is what I ate Mon-Sat. last week... I'm trying to put on some weight, but I want to put it on as clean as possible so if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

11 - Banana

3 - Banana

6 - Banana

sidenotes: I drink roughly 90-100 oz. of water a day... I ran out of whey protein so I have none in last weeks, but I bought some more over the weekend, so include two shakes in their, more than likely pre/post workout. I know I need some more carbs, I need suggestions, the thing is, I work 4-5 days out of the week, 11-7, then have to get to the gym before 9 (univ. rec center closes early during summer)... any suggestions? should I be eating more rice at each serving? throw in 2 slices of bread
You're diet needs waaay more protein especially if you're trying to get bigger. It has lots of carbohydtrates in it too. You should try adding some eggs into your diet like boiled eggs. Also chicken breasts, fish like salmon, cottage cheese (tastes good mixed with some yogurt), also need more healthy fats like you could get some flax seed mixed with the oatmeal.

Also you should try eating above your maintenance level in terms of calories.
A good way to calculate your maintenance is here http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm and then eat 300-500 calories above that.

A good way to keep track of your calories is using this website called www.fitday.com .

Man you'll lose weight with that diet!

Banana's = carbs
Oatmeal = carbs
Rice = carbs

Like dude said, you need a LOT more protein, try for a 40/40/40 macro ratio. Basically if you want to gain, you need a calorie surplus, but you need toworkout a lot, lift heavy etc..

What sort of snacks (low fat/carb/sugar) do you fellas munch on in between meals? Im having trouble with that.. I need a list so I can go to the supermarketand buy them!
What sort of yoghurt is low fat and tasty? I want to try it with cottage cheese
What sort of carbs are good and low in sugar?
Beef Jerky? What sort of nuts are good nuts?

Like anyone in this forum, any suggestions will be helpful!

I usually get yoplait yogurt's Banana strawberry fat free or the strawberry fat free flavor to mix with the cottage cheese.
One snack that I usually eat between meals or at night is light popcorn(I usually shake the bag a lot after microwaving it to get the butter on the insides ofthe bag to get on the popcorn) a bag of light popcorn is usually for me around 100-120 calories depending what brand I get. Or I eatgrapes\cherries\blueberries even though they got sugar in them atleast its natural sugar I think.

Yeah well according to the P90x diet, a piece of fruit is all your allowed each day... I dont even know if thats healthy or not.. but its tough not being ableto munch on fruit as a snack.

im sorry but thats too many bananas to eat in a day, at most you should be eating 2 if that. they are loaded with sugar. You should eat an apple or somethinginstead of 4 bananas

im bulking too... you can still keep your abs while bulking if you do a clean bulk with a low fat diet. So you can cut out most of the cardio.

"abs are made in the kitchen"
pimp.gif

I am 6'0 and roughly 217 pounds. I want to lose my gut and define my chest arms etc. However I want to keep the mass, I dontwant to be skinny.

QUESTION: Should I tone up first lose body fat then try to bulk up or should I bulk up then tone up for definition?

i dont know if you guys remember me, but i posted my story about three weeks ago. just to update, i have lost another 10 pounds since then after gettingstricter on my diet.

i have become a jerk to my family about what i eat and when i workout. they hate me right now cuz ive been snapping at them, but hey i'm getting results.

i weighed in at 235.5 lbs this morning. which puts me even closer to my end of the year goal of 225 lbs.

school starts soon and hopefully that doesnt affect my diet and gym routine too negatively.

i wish everyone good luck with getting to their goals! it's tough but seeing results is super gratifying and the best feeling in the world.

Originally Posted by Emoney246

I am 6'0 and roughly 217 pounds. I want to lose my gut and define my chest arms etc. However I want to keep the mass, I dont want to be skinny.

QUESTION: Should I tone up first lose body fat then try to bulk up or should I bulk up then tone up for definition?

bulk first because in the process you will gain a little bit of fat, so its better to burn it off at one time.

well here is my update from 200-175 over the last year and hiting the weights the last four months my bench has went up like crazy i would like to bulk up justa lil bit..........any suggestions?

sorry for the big cell phone pics

Back
Top Bottom