Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by RED FLAG

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

Someone mentioned purchasing an ab roller for 10 bucks or under?

Could you please tell me where? Ebay??? And which one is best?
I don't think it matters because it's just a handle bar with a wheel attached to it. You can check your local stores like Sport Chalet. I know my local one has it for $15.

Random thought...you guys think athletes worry much about what they eat? I'd like to think that on a work out day, they burn off thousands of cals easily so they wouldn't care much on counting the cals on everything they eat.
laugh.gif
Probably true. If you remember during the finals they showed how much candy Lamar Odom ate and he's still in great shape
A lot of pros are also 6'3"+ so they prob need 3k cals just for normal daily activities. Add workouts and it's easily 5k+.

Anyone else here goes to the supermarket 3+ times a week?
laugh.gif
Things always run out for me at different times, and I only spend around $10 per trip. Trying tokeep things fresh, and not buy in bulk.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by nealraj006
have you read up on it's effect on insulin and other metabolic related hormones like leptin, IGF-1, etc? in general, the higher the GI, the faster blood sugar spikes, and the greater the release of insulin and associated hormones. most of the time, that's something to avoid, because large excesses of energy storage lead to adipose tissue generation. time wise, if you consume high GI foods close to training sessions, the insulin receptors in your muscles are far more activated, so energy and nutrients are directed mainly towards these tissues for rebuilding and repair. consistently high levels of high GI foods can lower insulin sensitivity and cause type II diabetes. fats, protein, and fiber tend to slow down the absorption of high GI foods, although these foods will also trigger a release of insulin, though not as much as carbohydrates in general.

processed grains and sugars are very high GI, and are found in a large number of things people eat all the time. the rise in the amount of processed foods in the western diet coincides with the rise of the obesity epidemic.

So what would you recommend? 30-40% is pretty low for me, im looking to increase it shortly. Just afraid of weight gain. But i've heard it does prevent muscle loss, so if your eating at a deficit, then carbs are a must. I think a 40/40/20 is perfect.

I've just read on BB.com that many prefer high GI after training, as that insulin spike is where high GI carbs are best consumed. Pre-workout, its low GI as is throughout the day.

Im experimenting with dextrose atm PWO. Previously i've done oats/whole grain bread which are low GI. So whatever works for me, i'll either keep one or eliminate the other.

Another question, after a game of ball or training, is it also beneficial to consume a PWO shake i.e. pro/carbs? What if your training is held at night and finishes late? And what do you suggest to drink in between games like during a tournament for instance? carbs im assuming..
i don't think i know enough to recommend a specific percentage carbs or anything. a doctor i follow makes a strong argument that people can have very different base nutritional needs (carb dominant, protein dominant, split carb/protein, etc.), so what works for a carb dominant person wouldn't work well for a protein dominant person, etc.

i agree with high GI post workout. it creates an insulin spike right when your muscles are most sensitive to it. i also go low GI for the rest of the day, barring breakfast-- i've read after waking, your body is in a fasting state (hence break-fast), and you tend to be more insulin sensitive throughout your body, instead of preferentially converting excess blood nutrients into adipose tissue.

as far a late night sessions of bball or workouts (something i've had a lot of experience with haha) i usually have a protein/carb shake or meal, or both, but i try to stay awake for 3 hours afterwards if possible to make sure i'm still awake while it starts to get absorbed. it's not strictly scientific, but i think less of it will be converted to fat. there's a lot of hormonal metabolic differences between awake and asleep states that i don't know much about, but generally, if you keep your late night pwo shake/meal moderate in calories, you'll be good. it's definitely better than not eating anything.

between games a high GI carb works pretty well for me, and i try to have a fast-digesting protein (whey is great in this regard), especially if the gap between games isn't too long. if that's the case, i'd do a typical pwo shake/meal, and a small meal at least an hour before the next game.

Thanks dude. Awesome post.

Im pretty much in the same boat/headspace as you regarding diets and how people are different. It takes a bit of experimenting, adding a bit of this orsubtracting a bit of that. There are so many diets out there, Keto, Low-Carb etc. but I believe its best to maybe use one of them as a base and just keepymodifying as your diet/training continues.

I know for a fact that I can't do jack without carbs, I feel so lost and useless - much more on a training day. Im definitely looking to up my carbs, asim working out pretty much everyday except Sunday's.

Late night sessions - thats awesome. I will definitely eat something/drink something PWO, and try to remain awake in order to digest as well as it keepingwithin my caloric needs.

Here is a great article for those deciding between bulking and cutting.. its an interesting approach:
To Bulk or to Cut, That is the Question - or is it? |Wannabebig

Originally Posted by wj4

Anyone else here goes to the supermarket 3+ times a week?
laugh.gif
Things always run out for me at different times, and I only spend around $10 per trip. Trying to keep things fresh, and not buy in bulk.

I'm at the grocery store literally everyday, but I'm also less than a block away from Whole Foods so...

Alright Team Fitness.....i come to you a broken man, im over weight, by a good 80lbs..... im 6'2 around 290
sick.gif
smh.gif
and trust me i feel horrible bout it.....i was never a cut guy, but was "fit" to an extent, in high school i played baketball and football, and that always helped.....after i graduated iwould play ball and it would help me keep fit, but i havent been playin ball lately and my food habits have gone to +%!*.....so i wanna join a gym and get backinto shape, i know its not gonna be overnight, i hope by next summer im in decent shape....... any advice words?

Originally Posted by Truth Hurts

Alright Team Fitness.....i come to you a broken man, im over weight, by a good 80lbs..... im 6'2 around 290
sick.gif
smh.gif
and trust me i feel horrible bout it..... i was never a cut guy, but was "fit" to an extent, in high school i played baketball and football, and that always helped.....after i graduated i would play ball and it would help me keep fit, but i havent been playin ball lately and my food habits have gone to +%!*.....so i wanna join a gym and get back into shape, i know its not gonna be overnight, i hope by next summer im in decent shape....... any advice words?

i lost about 25lbs this summer. i'm 5 11 and was 230. now i'm 205. I was on a mission though my girl broke up with me so i had a thrive for the gym.Set a reasonable goal with motivation, change your eating habits(cut fast food, soda, sweet juices, etc.) eat little portions as well. this is probably thehardest thing because your body will tell you its still hungry, go to the gym and/or play basketball/football , and run at least 5 times a week. you will seeresults the first month. hope this helped because it helped for me. good luck man.

Just start out by slowly reducing the sodas and sugars. Your not going to succeed if your stop it completely. Start of like that, then slowly drop thefast-foods. Throw in some exercises, don't have weights or a gym? Just go for a short run, maybe 15-20mins.

Repeat for another week and just keep plugging away. After a month or so, whatever, reward yourself, have a soda have a Big Mac. Then restart the cycle againwith upped exercises and cleaner food choices..

Best thing to do is keep modifying, keep reading fitness articles, research, listen/watch things that motivate you. Even reflect on past situations where youwere motivated or envision future events where you'd like to see yourself - this keeps me going.

Oh yeah, another thing is to keep a journal of what you ate - this is the best thing for me....

Bottom line is, if it doesnt work out, try it again and again..

Originally Posted by I3

Just start out by slowly reducing the sodas and sugars. Your not going to succeed if your stop it completely. Start of like that, then slowly drop the fast-foods. Throw in some exercises, don't have weights or a gym? Just go for a short run, maybe 15-20mins.

Repeat for another week and just keep plugging away. After a month or so, whatever, reward yourself, have a soda have a Big Mac. Then restart the cycle again with upped exercises and cleaner food choices..

Best thing to do is keep modifying, keep reading fitness articles, research, listen/watch things that motivate you. Even reflect on past situations where you were motivated or envision future events where you'd like to see yourself - this keeps me going.

Oh yeah, another thing is to keep a journal of what you ate - this is the best thing for me....

Bottom line is, if it doesnt work out, try it again and again..

basically what i did, it works wonders. Just keep at it. The small goals really help, make them reasonable at first, and then push for bigger goals. Every timeyou meet one your confidence will go up. Just never stop working. After a couple months or so you'll see the results (actually, take a beginning photo),once you see and feel your body change remember how much work you put in to get to that point. That usually help me to keep going and stay disciplined on my"diet"

Good luck!

I don't think ab rollers differ too much. You can find them anywhere like ebay, target, sports authority, etc.
Joe, I'm not tryna sound rude or anything, but honestly, if you lay off the alcohol, you wouldn't need a test booster

A question for some of you non-beginners:

When you guys first started working out, did you find yourself worrying that you weren't doing things correctly?

I just started working out a few months ago and if I feel like I'm not doing something the right way I'll end up getting frustrated and sometimes Ijust stop working out all together.

ohwell.gif

You can't give up that easily Mathilda.

Get a simple workout and study the form of the exercises in the workout. Once you feel you understand the general range of motion within each exercise, beginworking out with a weight you feel comfortable with. This will give you the confidence you need to continue your goal to a better you.

im now taking vitamin b should i switch and start taking multivitamins? should i take both? or are they the same

it's so damn hard to get a back shot. i don't care, this is the only good one i got. i had to use photobooth and improvise. i need a hair cut

So far the cliff notes I've gathered from observing the discussion of food choices is that:

-To burn fat, consume either low GI carbs or replaces the carbs with fats (i.e. avacado or nutes?)

My question is, does this apply when you go and lift weights as well? Also, what other "good" fatty foods are there to replace the carbs with?Aren't avacadoes high in cholesterol? And what types of nuts/where can you buy them?

Originally Posted by aceofjays

You can't give up that easily Mathilda.

Get a simple workout and study the form of the exercises in the workout. Once you feel you understand the general range of motion within each exercise, begin working out with a weight you feel comfortable with. This will give you the confidence you need to continue your goal to a better you.

Thanks for the encouragement.

pimp.gif

Trust me, my workout is simple.

It's just that if I'm doing something and I don't feel my muscles getting worked, something goes off in my head that I'm not doing it right andI break down mentally.

I've been getting better though, hopefully I have all the kinks worked out soon.

It's just that if I'm doing something and I don't feel my muscles getting worked, something goes off in my head that I'm not doing it right and I break down mentally.
You should definitely feel your muscles working when you're doing an exercise. If not, either increase the weight or increase the reps. Themuscle group(s) you work on that day should feel like they're on fire when leaving the gym.

Does anyone else have conversations with the other gym goers? I never used to do it before but if i'm doing weights I tend to talk to the other guys abit.. sometimes i'm not in the mood though
laugh.gif

Also, what other "good" fatty foods are there to replace the carbs with?
Peanut butter, almonds (I prefer California almonds), avocado like you mention. I'm sure there are more out there, but these are what I eat. Avocado has 0% cholesterol BTW. It has a very high fat content, the highest of all fruits and veggies...but it also has a grip of vitamins.

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Does anyone else have conversations with the other gym goers? I never used to do it before but if i'm doing weights I tend to talk to the other guys a bit.. sometimes i'm not in the mood though
laugh.gif
Not really. My iPod is on from the time I leave the locker room to work out until the time I go back to the locker room. There's been ahandful of times where other people approached me and asked questions and what not. (The gym scene from I Love You,Man came to mind
laugh.gif
)

I try to make the most of my time...try to do everything in less than 1.5 hours.

Also, anyone else do burpees? I've been reading up and there's a debate about how many reps you can do. Some say that if you're exceeding 20 or so,you're not jumping high enough...should be kept short like HIIT. While some other prefer higher reps. All I know is that doing these things are killing mehardcore.

I also came across a method called 'prison burpees', where you do a set of 20, then 19, 18, 17, etc. Supposedly this is the prime exercise prisoners doto stay in shape.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

So far the cliff notes I've gathered from observing the discussion of food choices is that:

-To burn fat, consume either low GI carbs or replaces the carbs with fats (i.e. avacado or nutes?)

My question is, does this apply when you go and lift weights as well? Also, what other "good" fatty foods are there to replace the carbs with? Aren't avacadoes high in cholesterol? And what types of nuts/where can you buy them?
Pre and post workout, carbs are needed. Low GI pre workout. High GI post workout.
Plants/vegetables/fruit don't have any cholesterol.
Almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans...

Back
Top Bottom