The Chicago Bears WAIVE Running Back Cedric Benson - 4th Overall Pick in 2005

After his boating DUI charge, Cedric Benson remained a starting running back in the eyes of coach Lovie Smith and the Chicago Bears.

This isn't the first time the Bears drafted a running back high and it didn't work out. Of the tailbacks selected in the top five in the last 10 years, the Bears have had two of the four with the least production over their first three years.

His weekend DUI charge while in a car in Austin, Texas, has led to his release, however. The Bears placed Benson on waivers Monday, two years before the end of his contract and three years into a disappointing career with the team.

"Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions. When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team. Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears."

Benson wasn't present at the Bears organized practice Monday. The Chicago Sun-Times reported on its Web site that Benson showed up and was sent home by Smith.

Reporters waited for a statement from Angelo as he walked off the field on Monday, but he said the team might have a statement later in the day.

The statement turned out to be an action. Benson's name appeared on the NFL's waiver wire Monday afternoon, ending the three-year relationship.

Though the 5-foot-10, 220-pound runner claimed his innocence on both DUI charges, the team apparently lost faith in him. Because he's only been in the league for three seasons, Benson does not have his contract automatically terminated. He can be claimed by any other interested team on waivers.

Before his release, Benson made one last ditch effort to repair the situation, issuing an apology on Monday afternoon.

"I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of Saturday, June 7th," he said in a statement. "Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment.

"Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology."

Benson was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday and Bears officials said they would treat the matter seriously. Benson's attorney said the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated and cooperated with police.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was charged in Austin with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest. He has said neither charge is true, and those cases are pending.

Benson rushed for only 1,593 yards in three seasons. Thomas Jones was the Bears starting running back for Benson's first two seasons. Jones was traded to the Jets before last season, giving Benson the chance to start.

It didn't work out on the field. Benson rushed for only 272 yards on 67 carries last season. He couldn't finish the season because of a broken leg.

The Bears drafted Tulane running back Matt Forte in the second round, and he will enter camp as the team's possible starter. Adrian Peterson, a longtime Bears backup, will initially be second string.

It is not known where the Bears will pursue another running back.

Benson was the fourth pick in the 2005 draft. The team will save $820,000 on the cap by releasing him, but there will be a $2.575 million pro-ration that will count against the 2008 cap. There will be a $2.575 million cap charge for the Bears in 2009.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

what a shock
eek.gif

laugh.gif

what a bust smh...turned out better than who i wanted the bears to select that year..Mike Williams...wouldnt of gone right either way...hopefully Forte can getthe job done

I had questions about his mental toughness the moment I saw his post-draft interview. I still think he has the talent to be in the league but he has to get hismind right first. Best of luck to him.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I had questions about his mental toughness the moment I saw his post-draft interview. I still think he has the talent to be in the league but he has to get his mind right first. Best of luck to him.
laugh.gif

me too!

Biggest bust ever....I'm dissapointed in Ced. Dude was crazy talented at Texas. he was picked high and given a lot of money by the Bears. He hasnt stayed healthy, whined his way into getting Thomas Jones traded, wasnt very productive when starting, and now the back to back alcohol related issue.

Just plain stupid. Cut him already. I was a Benson backer until now, and if you've pissed me off, you've really %@!$+@ things up.

Number one problem with the world and society today.......no common sense.

so what is our QB/RB combo now? I can't even name a starting receiver off the top of my head? Is Berrian still there? Moose retired I think? smh

"Here we go......3rd down and 6 yards to go on the Detroit 40......Orton/Grossman takes the snap, fakes to Forte/ Peterson, finds Davis/ Booker for a gainof ...4. Here comes Maynard back on the field for his 17th punt of the game."

"What kind of a play call was that?!?!. It's 3rd and 6, you're close to field goal range, and you run a 4 yard out when you need 6 ??!?!"

"I don't know Tom, the Bears simply have no offense."

"I go back to what aRog said on the Niketalk forum, the Bears did not make themselves better in a year where the divison , is once again, up for grabs.That aRog guy should be hired as a consultant and paid mass amounts of money."

"You make an excellent point Tom."

Originally Posted by CjMoney

so what is our QB/RB combo now? I can't even name a starting receiver off the top of my head? Is Berrian still there? Moose retired I think? smh
Does it really matter at this point

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I had questions about his mental toughness the moment I saw his post-draft interview. I still think he has the talent to be in the league but he has to get his mind right first. Best of luck to him.

a smart man!!

bears are going to be a bad team in the NFL for years to come
tired.gif

(not just cause of benson... and I am a huge bear fan)

Back
Top Bottom