The College Basketball Post

You can tell tyus jones really wants to come back to duke. but is too worried about okafor and winslow. after being a leader since mid season now he decides to follow 
mean.gif

Shooting is not that easy to improve.

I remember reading all these stories this fall about RHJ shooting thousands of jumpers over the summer...and turns out, he still couldn't shoot.

Takoto's rationale isn't really wrong. Sounds like he understands it's a long road ahead, but wants to commit 100% of his time to it.

I've seen guys first hand shoot tons of shots every chance they got and still couldn't become good shooters. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I always read during the summer how former unc players come back to scrimmage and help develop the current group of players. sheed. stackhouse. sean may. etc. Roy couldn't have called up a shooter to work with tokoto? lol it was the only area of his game he truly lacked. Looking back he could've been a dominant player if he had a jumper.
Should've been hanging out with Danny Green.

J.P. Tokoto declaring for the draft. Surprised to say the least :smh:

Seriously, this I think greatly changes the odds they get to the final four next season

School doesn't matter. HE didn't develop a jump shot thats on him

He said nobody pushed him. Hey sometimes you just wrong school and wrong fit. i get what ur saying he should have worked on it but some people need to have people on their *** .

Sounds like a dude who doesn't love the game, If you genuinely love the game you don't need people to push you at the end of the day

Just seems like a cowards way out saying someone didn't push you

Woody always said tokoto was an odd fella...I brushed it off as Duke hate lol

Should've worked on his jumper more than his DM game :lol:

Odd that woj has quotes makes it like tokoto sought him out and gave him the story. Sounds like he just wanted the green light and be featured. Whole thing is odd but he did carry a stuffed bear around for a couple weeks

Last edited:
Only person im sad for is Alex Polythress, prime example of staying in school too long hopefully hes gonna get his degree at least

He'll have his degree in May, he was on the 3 year plan anyways. He and his family said from the start he wanted to make sure he got his degree before he left. Happy it all worked out for him.

What can he gain by coming back? With his athletic limitations he is what he is at this point. Someone may take him late first/early second with the hope that he can be a rotational big. 

will willie and towns gone he could have been the go to guy in middle...i mean its not like he can ruin his draft stock coming back...he could have potentially solidified himself in top 15...kid is going to get lost in the league ala daniel horton...i feel bad for these kids who can terrible decisions

I see dakari johnsons career panning out like the collins twins.

Although I wanted him to come back, he's a late 1st round pick for a good team. Nowhere close to Daniel Orton :smh: :x .. If he came back, he still would've had to share minutes like he did this season, might as well go get that money.

What I don't understand is why are coaches so reluctant to changes guys shooting form?

I can understand it when you have shooters who have decent form but can't make shots like MCW and Okafor for example.

but bad mechanics like RHJ? JP? Repetitions won't help you if you don't have proper mechanics.

Thats why college teams don't develop ****.

guys like Kawhi and Shane Battier had to get to the pro's to get with shooting coaches to fix their mechanics.

Last edited:
It's all about the comfort level of the player ...dudes been shooting crazy their whole lives, it's not that easy just to switch up styles ...then you got some players that no matter how much work they put in practicing the jumper, as soon as it's game time all that work goes out the window n it's back to what they know :lol: ...especially in college when it's no incentive for coaches to work on a messed up jumper , as long as that player is doing what it takes to win games/ get buckets

Last edited:
it's not easy changing mechanics that late in the game. those kids were doomed when their aau coach, etc. let them get away with that garbage form growing up.

What I don't understand is why are coaches so reluctant to changes guys shooting form?

I can understand it when you have shooters who have decent form but can't make shots like MCW and Okafor for example.

but bad mechanics like RHJ? JP? Repetitions won't help you if you don't have proper mechanics.

Thats why college teams don't develop ****.

guys like Kawhi and Shane Battier had to get to the pro's to get with shooting coaches to fix their mechanics.
When you basically play that way your whole life its crazy difficult changing your mechanics

it's not easy changing mechanics that late in the game. those kids were doomed when their aau coach, etc. let them get away with that garbage form growing up.

This!!! If its not corrected at a early age later on it's gonna take hell to fix

I think a lot of shooting is mental as well. You can be shooting really well in practice/drills, but once you're in a game, you freak out and everything gets sped up and your shot suffers because of it. 

Yea, you're completely overstating how easy it is to overhaul a shot with bad form.

Yea, you're completely overstating how easy it is to overhaul a shot with bad form.

Yeah if they are already bad shooters what exactly is there to lose?

repeating he same mechanics is liking chasing loses with bigger bets on bad hands in poker.

imo it's worth it.

RHJ shooting 1000 jumpers a day with bad form seems like complete a waste of time.

Last edited:
let me put it this way, if it is too hard to fix your jumper in college than no one should ever again say that "x prospect should go back to school because he can't shoot". :lol:

It's not about what they have to loose. When you've been doing something one way for 15 years, then it's pretty tough to completely change it. No matter how flawed the shot is. Plus coaches have limitations on the time they can spend on the court:

The case of a guy like a Kawhi is so rare. It's pretty hard to change a **** with horrible fork regardless. Look at MKG, he's put in so much work and he's JUST beginning to see progress.

I've tweeked my own jumper about 1000 times since I was 15.

I just don't understand how a kid with a broke jumper can't do the same.

You know why they chose not to, it was never required of them because at any moment they could get into the paint with ease.

So I watched some Skal Labbissiere aau games.

1. High school PG's are horrible. everyone thinks they are derrick rose.

2. I don't know if Skal is going to be as immediatly impactful in college as Ben Simmons or Jaylen Brown. Especially if those two play small ball 4, they will destroy college kids. but from a pro perspective he's just the perfect clay to mold into a dominant NBA player. while he's not insanely power or explosive vertically, he is just freakishly smooth and coordinated.

also the way his game is right now he is incredibly reliant on his shooting, he plays like a young Dirk with elite shot blocking. :x

Going to be interesting how cal uses him, becuase he didn't let Towns or Randle shoot it like we know they can.

Last edited:
So I watched some Skal Labbissiere aau games.

1. High school PG's are horrible. everyone thinks they are derrick rose.

2. I don't know if Skal is going to be as immediatly impactful in college as Ben Simmons or Jaylen Brown. Especially if those two play small ball 4, they will destroy college kids. but from a pro perspective he's just the perfect clay to mold into a dominant NBA player. while he's not insanely power or explosive vertically, he is just freakishly smooth and coordinated.

also the way his game is right now he is incredibly reliant on his shooting, he plays like a young Dirk with elite shot blocking.
sick.gif

Going to be interesting how cal uses him, becuase he didn't let Towns or Randle shoot it like we know they can.
He has 3 point range like Dirk?  How would you rank him compared to the top prospects in the next class like Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Dennis Smith Jr.

Back
Top Bottom