The Official NBA Thread: PLAYOFFS

I don't understand why anyone thinks this is a bad move for the Mavericks.

I get the Kyrie jokes and everything but everyone was just posting "get Luka some help" memes and they turned Spencer Dinwiddie and Dorian Finney-Smith into an All-Star starter. If it doesn't "work out"...what was the alternative?

Mavs as previously constructed where treading water at best with that roster.

You have an opportunity bring in a All Star and proven performer in the playoffs (albeit a malcontent) you do IT 100/100.

The West is wide open midas whale put all your chips in and see how everything plays out.

Last edited:
Good trade for both teams I guess. I don't expect it to work out in Dallas but at least they will get some cap space when Kyrie doesn't re-sign. And Brooklyn got some depth for now to still remain competitive and a 1st rounder a long time away when the Mavs might be bad

1675630765225.png

Yeah don’t really understand how folks would think it would be some big issue on court.
I actually don’t think there’s a better fit for Kyrie, especially in his mind. How soon do we forget

“Ky,” Lue said, “I want you to play a little faster.”

“Why?” Irving asked.

“Because if we play faster, we get shots off easier.”

“I don’t need to play faster to get my shot off,” Irving replied. “I can do that anytime.”

“I’m not talking about your shot. I’m talking about RJ and JR,” Lue said, citing teammates Richard Jefferson and Smith.

“Well, that’s No. 23’s job,” Irving replied

Supposedly Lakers backed out on committing assets because Kyrie wouldn’t commit to signing the 2- year vs. the 4- year.

I'm just mildly surprised they used up their chance to get a star so early. Figured they wait until the summer to make a move.
They are getting the star for an incredibly cheap price though because of who he is and their willingness to “take a risk” on him.

Other teams would be able to easily outbid them for whoever the next star is.

Opportunity they couldn’t pass up, IMO.

I'm just mildly surprised they used up their chance to get a star so early. Figured they wait until the summer to make a move.
But at that point - for what? Zach Lavine or Beal at a higher cost asset-wise?

They're not going to be totally asset poor moving forward because of this trade where they likely would've been tapped out of draft capital making a deal in the summer.

Secondarily - if you end up having to S&T Kyrie in the summer so he can land in LA and get his money, can you recoup a single first round pick for doing it? That feels likely.

Good trade for both teams I guess. I don't expect it to work out in Dallas but at least they will get some cap space when Kyrie doesn't re-sign. And Brooklyn got some depth for now to still remain competitive and a 1st rounder a long time away when the Mavs might be bad
Lol

Yea. Mavs are a hotbed for free agents to go to.

Lol.

High high high risk high reward move for Dallas. Not sure it was the time to do it this year.

But at that point - for what? Zach Lavine or Beal at a higher cost asset-wise?

They're not going to be totally asset poor moving forward because of this trade where they likely would've been tapped out of draft capital making a deal in the summer.

Secondarily - if you end up having to S&T Kyrie in the summer so he can land in LA and get his money, can you recoup a single first round pick for doing it? That feels likely.

as much as I hate the idea of putting my future in the hands Hotep Hezi god
the mavs are in a truly desperate situation. I understand the dice roll.

Luka doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to sit through this like Dirk did.

Back
Top Bottom