The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

can i get some recommendations on a portable tripod? i want a regular sized tripod, but nothing too heavy. my current tripod is super light and i can carry it around, but its cheap and will probably fall over in super windy conditions lol. i have straps for it on my camera backpack so i will put it there. i was looking at the me foto backpacker. any other suggestions?

Manfrotto BeFree is nice.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...o_mkbfra4_bh_befree_compact_travel_photo.html

Going to Hong Kong soon and looking to borrow an ultra wide angle lens.

Thoughts on 16-35 2.8 (and 4)? Which of the two is better?

Or I could borrow my buddy's 17-40 for free.
Sold all my stuff, so I'm only left with a prime 50mm 1.4.

Hong Kong was only $330 round trip, I got family over there so no need for hotel. Just gonna eat and get fat.

:x The come up is real

Question: How do I determine the max print size for an image without losing image quality? Was looking to blow up an image on a canvas but wasn't sure how big I can go without sacrificing the quality.

It's alright. Not the best. If you're gonna be in windy conditions, might need to use a regular/non-travel sized tripod. Maybe even some sandbags.

ok. its just windy where in my area. i could use a regular tripod but sometimes i dont want to cary that. lol

Last edited:
Oh I feel you. Thought you were talking Twin Peaks, SF conditions :lol:

well idk haha, its windy as hell where i am at. havent been there in awhile to compare, but its so windy it almost sounds like its raining outside if you didnt know better haha. atleast right now. i might just buy a regular one but a not so heavy one so it can be carried around.

Last edited:
Wedding Yesterday.

Can't wait to finish the entire set and print a new book to show brides. It was a pinterest perfect wedding. :pimp:

Does anyone here own a canon 24mm on a crop body?

I've tried it. I think it is like a 36mm on a full frame. It's the lens I'd get anyways on a crop. It's okay but quality will obviously be different than using a true 35mm on a full frame in terms of bokeh and what not.

I've tried it. I think it is like a 36mm on a full frame. It's the lens I'd get anyways on a crop. It's okay but quality will obviously be different than using a true 35mm on a full frame in terms of bokeh and what not.

yeah i understand. i think i will wait and just get a 10-18mm. the cheaper 24mm are efs which obviously cant be used when i upgrade to full frame camera in the future. i will just get a 10-18mm which is efs so i dont have more then one efs lens. get the one i need and move on. its for video so i dont mind one efs lens.

Did the chopper thing in Seattle over the weekend. Only did during the daytime cause I was afraid I'd get blurry photos. Pretty dope experience but only cause it was cheap or cheaper than what I see in SF an NYC. I got a flight for $207 but a second person would be $275 total. They take off the doors and everything and get you your shots that you need. It sort of freaked me out cause I never done this but I literally was on a simple harness and just used my hands from not totally falling out of the helicopter. Also they even tilted the copter to get better views as well. Totally recommend them if you are out there but they are about 30-40 mins from the city which was like an $80 Uber drive which is $160 round trip. Renting a car would be probably more worth it.

http://www.seattlehelitours.net

seattle-1a.png
seattle-4b.png
seattle-5c.png
seattle-3b.png

yeah i understand. i think i will wait and just get a 10-18mm. the cheaper 24mm are efs which obviously cant be used when i upgrade to full frame camera in the future. i will just get a 10-18mm which is efs so i dont have more then one efs lens. get the one i need and move on. its for video so i dont mind one efs lens.

Just remember to invest in the right glass the first time. Even if it means waiting a little longer and saving.

Or else you'll spend more in the long run.

nice i am probably going to get that. I waant to do long exposure photography and night photography in general

i have this tripod, it is relatively compact & lightweight, as such is great for travel; it also has a hook in the stalk/stem that allows for hanging a bag for additional weight for stability but if it is as windy as you describe you prolly will want to grab something more sturdy?

scooped up an sony rx1r...i forgot how tiny it is,amzing it is only slightly bigger than some point & shoots, impressed with the lens & it's close focus ability as well, went a little wild with post processing color

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Just remember to invest in the right glass the first time. Even if it means waiting a little longer and saving.

yeah thats why i decided against the 24mm. wish they could make some non efs lenses thats good for a budget but oh well. it is what it is

unless maybe you had a third party lens recommendation?

Last edited:
i have this tripod, it is relatively compact & lightweight, as such is great for travel; it also has a hook in the stalk/stem that allows for hanging a bag for additional weight for stability but if it is as windy as you describe you prolly will want to grab something more sturdy?

its pretty windy here. i will test out my current cheap tripod and if it doesnt really move then i can get a travel one thats better. its just so windy that my families canopy gets moved by the wind and we have to weigh it down down every time we use it. thats in our own backyard

Last edited:

yeah thats why i decided against the 24mm. wish they could make some non efs lenses thats good for a budget but oh well. it is what it is

They make a 24mm ef 2.8

Amazon product ASIN B0076BNKOY
Thats as cheap as you're gonna get without getting the L version for $1500.

Next prime I cop is probably gonna be the 135mm f/2L.

Back
Top Bottom