The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

They make a 24mm ef 2.8

Amazon product ASIN B0076BNKOY
Thats as cheap as you're gonna get without getting the L version for $1500.

Next prime I cop is probably gonna be the 135mm f/2L.

i saw that, but the ef-s version is $100 refurbished on canon's website hahaha. plus its pancake which is good for being portable and has stm for video. in the long run though the ef version is better. i might go for this to see how i like it for being so cheap. then get the real deal when its time.

I so wonder how this new M camera will be. If the price is decent, I can see people getting this over a Rebel for sure. It all depends on that focus system.

Canon-EOS-M5-mirrorless-camera-6.jpg
Canon-EOS-M5-mirrorless-camera-5.jpg

Built-in electronic viewfinder
Sensor: 24.2 million pixel APS-C CMOS
AF: dual pixel CMOS AF, Touch AF
The video engine: DIGIC 7
Continuous shooting: 7fps
ISO Sensitivity: 100-25,600
Video: FullHD 60fps, 5-axis electronic image stabilization
Dynamic NFC, Bluetooth built-in
Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card
Size: 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6 mm
Weight: 427g

I so wonder how this new M camera will be. If the price is decent, I can see people getting this over a Rebel for sure. It all depends on that focus system.

Canon-EOS-M5-mirrorless-camera-6.jpg
Canon-EOS-M5-mirrorless-camera-5.jpg

Built-in electronic viewfinder
Sensor: 24.2 million pixel APS-C CMOS
AF: dual pixel CMOS AF, Touch AF
The video engine: DIGIC 7
Continuous shooting: 7fps
ISO Sensitivity: 100-25,600
Video: FullHD 60fps, 5-axis electronic image stabilization
Dynamic NFC, Bluetooth built-in
Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card
Size: 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6 mm
Weight: 427g

i'm sure it will be a good camera but while it has some interesting features (5-axis electronic image stabilization?), i wonder who this camera is for though? would have been a lot more interesting had they jammed a 35mm sensor in there, one positive is using an adapter to use canon's library of glass will be easier than other systems, it will be interesting to see more about this camera though, is just being lighter/smaller enough? looking at the competition, it is difficult to see where this fits in; the problem both canon & nikon will have with whatever they decide to do with mirrorless, is will they be willing to give that segment enough attention amongst all their other cameras? would you buy it as a 2nd camera?

i'm sure it will be a good camera but while it has some interesting features (5-axis electronic image stabilization?), i wonder who this camera is for though? would have been a lot more interesting had they jammed a 35mm sensor in there, one positive is using an adapter to use canon's library of glass will be easier than other systems, it will be interesting to see more about this camera though, is just being lighter/smaller enough? looking at the competition, it is difficult to see where this fits in; the problem both canon & nikon will have with whatever they decide to do with mirrorless, is will they be willing to give that segment enough attention amongst all their other cameras? would you buy it as a 2nd camera?

Since the mirrorless market for Canon seems to be in Asia, I am sure this camera will continue to do well over there. Essentially you are just getting what Canon users I guess wanted all this time which is mirrorless camera that is easy on the hands but still smaller than a DSLR. The first M was nice in size but horrible ergonomic wise. Large handed people would have the hardest time with it.

I agree though that it would be really hard to want to get a Canon mirrorless rather than another brand that has way more of a lens library. I know you can use an adapter for this but I'd rather use native lenses that won't have overall focus issues. If this camera clears over a $1000, it will be such a waste considering you can get practically a full frame camera for that price.

The Canon M5 looks like interesting. Only interested in the M5 to adapt my EF/EF-S lenses. Like others, I find this system a hard sell if listed for >$1000, too much competition with a better selection of lenses for other systems compared to the EF-M mount. Hard to see Canon jump into the full frame mirrorless market, when Canon still needs to come out with a wider variety of EF-M lenses as well. Still sticking to Sony for my mirroless needs, but if the the M5 has very good autofocus capability with EF/EF-S lenses might pick one up if priced right.

ok just got my 60d. does any one know a site or video that shows what settings should be changed? i am looking but if you guys know any that would help

Edit: if you have any tips that would be cool, but i asked this before i really got a chance to play with it. i am changing what i know right now

Last edited:
ok just got my 60d. does any one know a site or video that shows what settings should be changed? i am looking but if you guys know any that would help

Edit: if you have any tips that would be cool, but i asked this before i really got a chance to play with it. i am changing what i know right now

Most settings are user preference.

For example, I set my camera to single point AF, back button AF, and AF select with the little quick dial nipple thing.

But that is based on my personal preference.

djyoung08 djyoung08 Yo fam...you gotta hit me up one of these times you in the city for a shoot so we can link up.

I'm currently scheduled to be in the city sept 25 and the following sunday oct 2 for engagement shoots. both at the palace of fine arts. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

I'd love a tour man... im a SF NOOB and its kind of a shame because im only an hour away.

I straight up ENVY that shot you recently got thats all yellow w/ the cable car. Almost threw my phone when it came up on my feed :pimp:

Last edited:
^^^^^^^I feel like dude was yelling at me. Haha.

He's part right and part wrong. I do think people need to know that getting bokeh isn't necessarily about F-stop. It's about a combination of that and the focal range. The longer lens you shoot, the less open your lens needs to be to achieve a decent amount of bokeh. That is why your long lenses are never in the f/1.8 range and if the would be, the lenses would be super expensive. The Canon 300mm prime f/2.8 is like $6K!

But a kit lens on a crop at the long end can definitely get bokeh for sure. The difference between an expensive setup to a cheaper one is when your subject matter is moving or if you are shooting in low light or a combination of both moving and low light. His photo example is essentially a still life and anyone can shoot that photo given the circumstances. It's really the other scenarios is where you'll see the down fall. That is why no one in their right mind would shoot a concert of even a wedding using a kit lens. You'd miss so much good shots because the glass isn't quick enough. But if you are doing portrait shots and things that don't move at all, the kit lens can definitely be your friend.

Most settings are user preference.

For example, I set my camera to single point AF, back button AF, and AF select with the little quick dial nipple thing.

But that is based on my personal preference.

Yeah lol i asked before i even played with it. Its all set up now though

^^^^^^^I feel like dude was yelling at me. Haha.

He's part right and part wrong. I do think people need to know that getting bokeh isn't necessarily about F-stop. It's about a combination of that and the focal range. The longer lens you shoot, the less open your lens needs to be to achieve a decent amount of bokeh. That is why your long lenses are never in the f/1.8 range and if the would be, the lenses would be super expensive. The Canon 300mm prime f/2.8 is like $6K!

But a kit lens on a crop at the long end can definitely get bokeh for sure. The difference between an expensive setup to a cheaper one is when your subject matter is moving or if you are shooting in low light or a combination of both moving and low light. His photo example is essentially a still life and anyone can shoot that photo given the circumstances. It's really the other scenarios is where you'll see the down fall. That is why no one in their right mind would shoot a concert of even a wedding using a kit lens. You'd miss so much good shots because the glass isn't quick enough. But if you are doing portrait shots and things that don't move at all, the kit lens can definitely be your friend.

Yeah especially in low light you really do need better equipment. He did a lot of weddings and concerts to save up to start his youtube channel :lol:

But i think its easy to innocently attribute a little too much credit to the gear.

So many people want to hop on a 35 or 50mm 1.8, crank it to 1.8 always and blame the gear they're using because their pictures are always soft :lol:

Almost every one of my clients will say "wow we need a camera like that so we can take good pictures", or "that camera takes amazing pictures", or something along those lines.

Some of the shots could have been done on my iPhone, point and shoot, or all the way up to a nikon d5.

I remember when I started second shooting I would always shoot my 55-200mm kit lens at 200mm f/6.3 but still got bokeh because of the compression you get at 200mm.

Now shooting 200mm f/2.8 I can get some even dreamier bokeh but not every one can get a sharp portrait shooting at 200mm 2.8.

I think the video was a good reminder that WE are the ones making good photos. Not necessarily the gear.

Just like having state of the art pots and pans doesn't make my cooking worth eating :rofl:

has anyone done some high school football shooting? I've always wanted to do one so I want to know what the experience is like, what type of gear did you use, etc.

Last edited:
has anyone done some high school football shooting? I've always wanted to do one so I want to know what the experience is like, what type of gear did you use, etc.

Crop body, long lens, high shutter, AI servo, high ISO and burst shots should do the trick. Also positioning and perspective is important. Move around and don't just sit on one side of the field.

I always wanted to shoot a football game but I'd imagine I'd realize how slow my Mark 3 would be at a game.

I need to get better at long exposure. Can't see much detail on here.

35mm f/22 @99 seconds. :/

I need to get better at long exposure. Can't see much detail on here.

35mm f/22 @99 seconds. :/

im not as experienced so my feedback may be worthless, but i see no wrong with it. maybe a different edit could yield different results that you will like better? idk but i like it. then again i may not be experienced enough to be the judge of that

^That's actually unedited but I would like to get more detail from the buildings when I zoom in. Not exactly sure how to do that though. Was using my 24-105.

Back
Top Bottom