The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Haven't shot shoes before it was definitely a different experience.

24862245998_daa6dae973_z.jpg

26958945179_db06289559_z.jpg

26958944689_bcd5e84ec7_z.jpg

Do you have an SSD in there with enough storage?

I have two machines so I use an external SSD to jump between them. SSD is definitely the way to go. I also have a bunch of other drives that I back up the SSD to. Those are old school drives, 8 TB each. When it comes to data management there is something called the 3-2-1 rule, 3 copies in 2 places with 1place being offsite.

I just installed a 250gb SSD. I tried removing my disk drive to put in the original HD there but one of the screw just wouldn't come out. I think I'm just gonna get a external HD and back up everything there for now.

I just installed a 250gb SSD. I tried removing my disk drive to put in the original HD there but one of the screw just wouldn't come out. I think I'm just gonna get a external HD and back up everything there for now.

Yeah if you're good space wise working off the internal, use that. You can pick up an 8TB HD for around $200. Backup all your catalogs there, just do it daily. Look into a service like Backblaze too. $5 a month and they'll backup everything off site.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr
Just checked out your instagram. Been too busy to keep up with this thread so I'm not sure if you posted them in here already but I love all of your skate photos. The one with Phelps bombing that hill and the Gonz pic :pimp: Also did you witness when the kid smashed into the cop car after the cop stepped in front of him that day when he was bombing the hill?

^^^Sup man. I was there that day but I didn't see the kid crash into the police officer. I knew something happened cause when he did fall, just tons of skaters started pointing the blame on someone. It was a crazy day just cause I don't think anyone would have thought it would have escalated to what it became. I wish I had the balls to take better photos that day but with social media and phones and what not, there was so much crazy footage coming out of it.

But thanks though. I love skating even though I don't do it anymore. I still check out events and with me being in SF, I am lucking to just see a lot of stuff. Wish I had some skaters to shoot legit stuff but I am way too old to be hanging with young kids hopping fences and what not.

what Nikon body you shootin with right now?

I'd go 810 over the 800, but for just a few hundred more, I'd say get in line for that 850 - that thing is a beast. I'll be makin the move to the 850 from the 700 soon enough.

I've been shooting with a 50mm 1.8 on a Nikon D5500 for almost a year now. I really want to upgrade to an 810, so I can have a full frame camera and since I already have a 50mm. However Sony has been enticing me especially since it's a compact camera. But buying a sony with a portrait lens looks like it's going to run me over $1200 easy... My budget is around $500-1000.

Any NTers in the DMV area looking to buy a Sigma MC-11 or a Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art Canon mount LMK. I can give you a decent deal.

(Not looking to ship).

For all my Sony Alpha shooters in the NYC Area, I found this thread in Reddit’s SonyAlpha subreddit. I’ll be participating. I already got my phone call, will be doing an in-house interview and focus group discussion. They will pay $350 to participants. If anyone’s interested hit Sam@gemic.com.

Attachments

• D379CF94-25D8-4837-8D3F-719D4E4D6914.png
    D379CF94-25D8-4837-8D3F-719D4E4D6914.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 8
For all my Sony Alpha shooters in the NYC Area, I found this thread in Reddit’s SonyAlpha subreddit. I’ll be participating. I already got my phone call, will be doing an in-house interview and focus group discussion. They will pay $350 to participants. If anyone’s interested hit Sam@gemic.com.

hmmm interesting...
can you put the link to the reddit page?

I may have to do some more homework, seems sketchy and I’m my eagerness to participate.....I may have missed something. I’ll look into it further into it.

They have an office on Broad Street in the city. I may contact them directly to find out the deal.

My fault for posting this, just saw some extra $, and an opportunity to participate in something photography related.

Last edited:
That Sony joint seems iffy. Says qualified people can get paid after the interview. Sounds like they can decide that you aren't qualified and not pay you if they want.

Just back from a long weekend away in North East England. My wife has a new hobby of looking for stuff on the beach and wanted to visit this place - she spent hours wandering the beaches and I could spend hours taking photographs - worked out well. The weather was pretty brutal - cold winds and huge waves - but that made for some interesting scenes. Decent clothes and I was comfortable the whole time. Took over 100 shots - a lot are multiple of the same scene but I'm hoping for 10-12 good ones.

Stopped here on the way down - I like this view with the rocks in the foreground but I've never got a decent shot before. This was about as good as I could do. The rocks were covered in this thick white foam - I was was standing on the big rock you can see on the bottom left which is way above the black rocks but as I was fiddling with my camera a freak wave pushed all the foam over that rock - I was wearing boots but I'd put my bag down at my feet. Spent the evening cleaning my gear and my fingers were so cold that I think I didn't put my lens cap on properly and I lost it on the way back to my car...

And then on the way home I got this which is a little north of that one. I didn't feel like getting dressed up and braving the beach but spotted this in the rear view mirror as I was driving. It's a bit unusual to have snow in that area as it's right next to the sea.

This was Saturday morning - I'd been trying to get a good angle of this lighthouse with the waves crashing over it - but was stymied by a factory and a fence. Later in the day I walked the other way along the beach and took this 30s exposure which worked out well I think.

And one of my favorites from Saturday. It was an interesting beach - some sand but a lot of these warm colored pebbles. I like the symmetry of this.

I'm loving the long exposure noise reduction on my Nikon - really improves long stuff. The only problem is that it repeats the exposure time with the shutter closed - so I spent a lot of time going "7 minutes, another 7 minutes, too short, try 9...". I got into the habit of doing a test one and getting the exposure right then taking another one with the noise reduction switched on - a lot more efficient.

More to come but I'm trying to take my time processing them.

Back
Top Bottom