The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I only shoot casually and have never shot actual people before. Recently though, I just shot some graduation photos for a friend for the first time. Since it was a friend, it was pretty low pressure and he was doing a more formal one later with a professional.

Some things I learned after reviewing the photos:

1. Wow, I didn't realize how much one pimple can effect how a person looks lmao. Using that heal brush makes someone look so much better.
2. We shot in a few locations (all outdoors) and some of the photos really highlight every wrinkle, blemish, and flaw on his face while others he looks a lot better. I'm not sure what I should look out for in situations like this to know whether it's good lighting or bad. I figured since it was pretty sunny outside, flaws would be washed out rather than highlighted. I'm shooting with an A7R2 and a sharp prime so that sharpness might be making the flaws even more apparent.
3. I want to get to a point where I make people look better than they do, but I think 90% of the shots I took are the opposite and are pretty unflattering in their raw form. Was only able to send him a few good ones after shooting for like 45 minutes. Kind of disappointing. Shooting people is difficult, but good learning experience.
4. Everything looked great if I put some film preset on it. It washed out the imperfections in the raw due to me not setting up the shot right. Would rather not have to rely on that though. Not sure if that's just maybe how it is with portraits. I noticed a lot of other graduation shots I've seen seem to have film/vsco presets on them.

Last edited:
Most grad photos I see tend to be more "bright". Increased highlights and decreased shadows with colors being more natural and balanced.

fullsizeoutput_1bb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12b.jpeg

Trying to decide between a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART vs Canon 35mm f/2.

I can get the 30mm for like $150 less. Except it's an EF-S mount, and I've heard of AF issues with Sigma. Canon lens is (obviously) first party and an EF mount which is clutch just in case I ever do go full frame.

I'm leaning Canon ...

Im liking the 24-200 on the Sony rx100 VI but the 2.8 to 4.5

$1200 :sick:

Another oldie - from my summer vacation 4 years ago. Heading back to the same place to go camping in about 6 weeks.

I always like this scene but the only photo I had was out of focus so it irritated me - I was just looking for something else and found that there was another version of it which is pretty sharp. It was a beautiful evening on one of the nicest beaches in Scotland and I liked how the color of the boat sticks out a bit.

What do ya'll prefer over manual & autofocus? i stick with manual 90 percent of the time but i'm thinking of playing with auto a bit more for landscape shots

Sup y'all it's been a while still working on getting my portfolio together, its been a long year so far I've only gone out to shoot twice trying to catch up with old work as well as battling depression. Although I haven't posted, I still keep up with this thread and everyones work glad to see a majority still posting I enjoy seeing your shots. Anyway, I've been wanting to mess with black and white editing for a while now and about half way through editing my old Chicago trip I decided to give it a shot. Still messing with the shades, any feedback welcome hope you enjoy more work coming soon!

bonus

Sup y'all it's been a while still working on getting my portfolio together, its been a long year so far I've only gone out to shoot twice trying to catch up with old work as well as battling depression.

i know it can be an daily battle/ongoing struggle, if you aren’t already getting some help/guidance please do so! sincerely hope you are on the other side of it now bruv!!

Back
Top Bottom