The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just peeped Fong$tarr Fong$tarr ’s Photo on the SF Giants IG page

:nerd::nthat:

Haha. Yeah. Super wild day yesterday cause my IG was on fire for once. Had so much going on that I didn't even know what to do. Funny how I tag a lot of people but would have never thought that the Giants would repost my photo.

Here is most of my good photos of my helicopter flight in SF. Tough as hell shoot since sun was already set but I used the RAW files to my advantage.

FlyNYON+10.jpg

FlyNYON+8.jpg

FlyNYON+1.jpg

FlyNYON+3.jpg

FlyNYON+11.jpg

FlyNYON+4a.JPG

FlyNYON+12.jpg

FlyNYON+6.jpg

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr did you have a YouTube at one point, or am I mistaken? Anyways, does anyone have someone they watch on YT that you'd recommend. Just trying learn the basics and get some tips in regards to shooting/editing.
No. I don't have a Youtube page. I mean I do for some random videos but not photo stuff. Check Tony and Chelsea Northrups page. They have a lot on tutorials.

Got a few indoor events in the next coming months, graduation party and baby shower. Was gonna get some cheap traditional continuous lights for em, no big deal but now I'm considering getting some LED panel lights instead for the quality. Anybody have any personal preferences between the two or any experiences?

Here's the lights I'm thinkin' about getting:
Amazon product ASIN B07KT4LS6Z

Anyone have experience with older Minolta cameras?

just bought 2 minoltas an olympus and a canon with a ton of lenses and accessories and who knows what else for $25.

excited but not sure what to expect.

Last edited:
Alright so I bought a sigma macro 28mm Lens

Can anyone suggest an adapter for the Canon t6?

Leaving to LA tomorrow and was wondering if any good spots to shoot. I know most popular spots but was wondering if there’s any low key the locals can suggest. Also the best taco spots. Thanks!

Hopefully someone can offer assistance.

Looking to grab a point and shoot camera to work on a coffee table book. It's a passion project i've always wanted to do. Beginner experience but i'll be shooting with some people with mid-professional experience.
Looking to shoot mostly wide angle shots, some action and some night time

Any suggestions for which cameras I should look at. Id prefer 35mm film but open to digital. Just want the best bang for my buck

$300 is my max price

Honestly, if you have a recent phone it can work"just as well" as an actual point and shoot

It’s hard to spend $300 but there a lot of decent point and shoot cameras for around $200.

One of the first I saw:

Amazon product ASIN B00CDGQVKM
You couldn’t go wrong with Nikon or Canon or a lot of the other big brands at that price.

The main downside of those is the night shooting - but with a tripod and the delayed shutter release you can do an okay job.

Honestly, if you have a recent phone it can work"just as well" as an actual point and shoot

I like the "natural" contrast from 35mm film cameras. It also meets the aesthetic of the project i'm working on.

even used contax and leicas are like 600+ sheesh

I literally don't think a camera like that exist for something in the $300K range. Usually when it comes to action and night time photography (high ISO), you'll have to spend a little extra money to get those. I think your best best could be a used DLSR, soe cheap wide angle lenses and a tripod.

Looking to grab a point and shoot camera to work on a coffee table book. It's a passion project i've always wanted to do. Beginner experience but i'll be shooting with some people with mid-professional experience.

Any suggestions for which cameras I should look at. Id prefer 35mm film but open to digital. Just want the best bang for my buck

$300 is my max price

$300 is tough if you want quality better than a recent smartphone...you might be able to snag a 1st or 2nd gen rx100 for around that maybe...

Does anybody in here frequent, own, or want a photo studio? I'm preparing myself to stock up on equipment that I can pack up and use for a studio experience and want to hear what you as a photographer or even a customer look for in your studio experience

Does anybody in here frequent, own, or want a photo studio? I'm preparing myself to stock up on equipment that I can pack up and use for a studio experience and want to hear what you as a photographer or even a customer look for in your studio experience
I've only been to a couple but I for me, I would want at least various accessible backdrops, different lighting options, tripods, flashes, strobes, defusers, etc. A studio with a window for natural light options would be cool too and just open space to do various different shoots whether with one person, multiple, etc.

$300 is my max price

Maybe try for a used Sony Rx100. The first model. Seen a used one on Amazon for 250

Some pics I took with the Sony RX100M3
PSX_20190427_203629.jpg

PSX_20190323_214018.jpg
PSX_20190330_155934.jpg

Some pics I took with my cellphone (Huawei Mate 20 X)
PSX_20190427_200714.jpg

PSX_20190427_200557.jpg

I've only been to a couple but I for me, I would want at least various accessible backdrops, different lighting options, tripods, flashes, strobes, defusers, etc. A studio with a window for natural light options would be cool too and just open space to do various different shoots whether with one person, multiple, etc.

Thanks. There's a bunch of natural light studios out here and I've visted a few and they are nice.

As I think about the amount of gear I'm getting ready to buy and the senior shoot I did this past Saturday (I'll try to post some pics today) I am gonna have to hire an assistant starting no later than July. The more strobes and stands I think about getting the more I don't want them to fall over because of the wind or not be able to have somebody holding a reflector instead of needing a second flash. Been saying this for a while now but my prices are seriously about to go up

I use a 35mm lens a lot.. like it’s my go to.. I love it and it loves me back. However what other lenses would you guys suggest along the lines of absolutely necessary like a 35

I use a 35mm lens a lot.. like it’s my go to.. I love it and it loves me back. However what other lenses would you guys suggest along the lines of absolutely necessary like a 35

You're shooting full frame? What kind of stuff do you shoot? If you are a landscape guy, than go wider. Do a ultrawide if possible but something at least 15mm is a nice change for big landscapes that you want to capture when you don't have a lot of space to shoot. If you are a portrait guy, I would say 85mm over even the 50mm. 50mm just seems to bleh imo. 85mm gives you the compression at least and you can shoot even landscapes more uniquely with even an 85mm than a 50mm but that is me.

I also just got some prints back from Mpix (https://www.mpix.com/) which is an online print service. I did a 20X30 print while back and didn't think much of the print but I did some random 4X6 prints. Highly recommended if you guys just want better quality than say Walgreens. I know printing is different than how you edit for web but I sent them my web edits and they color corrected and all my prints came out great. Price is probably not as cheap as say Walgreens (I did 6 prints with various finishes for $10) but they have deals all the time so perhaps you can get cheaper prints when they pop up.

I also just got some prints back from Mpix (https://www.mpix.com/) which is an online print service. I did a 20X30 print while back and didn't think much of the print but I did some random 4X6 prints. Highly recommended if you guys just want better quality than say Walgreens. I know printing is different than how you edit for web but I sent them my web edits and they color corrected and all my prints came out great. Price is probably not as cheap as say Walgreens (I did 6 prints with various finishes for $10) but they have deals all the time so perhaps you can get cheaper prints when they pop up.

Imma check them out. Just started using Nations Photo Lab and they are "cheap" and fast. Took about a week to process and be delivered.
Trying out a print and frame option with my photography services now also

I feel like I'm second guessing myself on my studio setup purchases. Was gonna get those LED lights but now I'm thinking I'll get a professional strobe light and just get a big softbox for these events I'm doing these booths at. Also thinking I may just use my speedlights....I'm running in circles

Lost the graduation party gig for next month, really needed that cushion for this Vision5 strobe I'm tryna get

These pics are so good in here. I entered this thread and feel overwhelmed after just reading this page alone :lol: but nonetheless, I'm asking NT for some help in an area that I'm practically a beginner in. Friends have been pushing me to get into YouTube vlogging and I personally am into music so I need a camera that I can use to make some good quality videos for that as well. Which also means, I would need something that can pick up sound pretty well (but from a general search past few days; I think I just have to get a mic).

Lastly, I also need the camera to be able to take some solid pics for weekend events and while on vacation-something better than an iPhone. My girl wanted a gopro but upon a few quick searches, it seems like thats not really for me (though I love how durable they are) especially since the pics have that weird circular look to them that I don't really need. Since I'm a newb in this department, I'm not looking to break bank and go over say 450.. any recommendations and help in english :lol: would be super helpful. Thanks in advance y'all!

Sorry for the essay.. just trying to get it all in one post :lol:

Back
Top Bottom