The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

My boy has a 35mm 2.0 and it sucks. You can make it work with a lot of post editing but I woudnt recommend one.
I imagine the contrast is bad as well as just clarity. Even with the Canon nifty-fifty, it lacks a sense of pop with the look but as stated, a lot of that can be fixed in post. For the money, it's probably fine but I am sure there is plenty of better glass out there.

Thanks for the input. Came in the other day but have only shot around the house. My cousin's boyfriend is planning on proposing on Saturday. My other lens options are the 18-55 kit, 8mm fisheye, or the trash 55-200 that came with my D3200.

I'm a hobbyist at best so didn't really feel like splurging on the Nikon version since I don't really shoot at 50mm. Though I could've used it then returned :lol:

Lens feels surprisingly sturdy.
20190725_191456.jpg

Try it out, dont shoot wide open though. I mean test it and see if you like it but bigger aperture and you’ll get pics sharper.

aychd aychd Fong$tarr Fong$tarr

What do you shoot with? I'm looking to buy something for under $1000 and don't know if I should splurge for something like an X-T2, X-T20 in the mirrorless world or go cheaper, maybe something like a Canon T7i DSLR. Figured this would be a good place to start.

Last edited:

What do you shoot with? I'm looking to buy something for under $1000 and don't know if I should splurge for something like an X-T2, X-T20 in the mirrorless world or go cheaper, maybe something like a Canon T7i DSLR. Figured this would be a good place to start.

Started shooting with a canon t6i for a bit then dropped some bread and went mirrorless to the sony a7riii. Can't stress how much I love this camera dawg.

I recently purchased a kit to develop my film at home. Is there a youtube clip or blog any of you would recommend for guidance?

I am still on a Canon 5D Mark 3. For the most part I don't want to upgrade anytime soon but I do hope Canon has a better R system that is more like the Sony A7R3 or A7R4. But I more so don't want to upgrade cause I have almost every lens I need to shoot what I do. For your budget though, that is going to be tough to find something that makes sense. I'd go full frame since they are so much more affordable now. Perhaps look for an old Canon 6D if you are not a focus snob. They are well under a grand used: https://www.adorama.com/us 114947...Topj_Y5gV2MgtOVJ-sAVAu30gbvT3JO0aApfBEALw_wcB

Or even a Nikon 810 for a little over a $1000: https://www.adorama.com/us 1151159.html

Started shooting with a canon t6i for a bit then dropped some bread and went mirrorless to the sony a7riii. Can't stress how much I love this camera dawg.

I am still on a Canon 5D Mark 3. For the most part I don't want to upgrade anytime soon but I do hope Canon has a better R system that is more like the Sony A7R3 or A7R4. But I more so don't want to upgrade cause I have almost every lens I need to shoot what I do. For your budget though, that is going to be tough to find something that makes sense. I'd go full frame since they are so much more affordable now. Perhaps look for an old Canon 6D if you are not a focus snob. They are well under a grand used: https://www.adorama.com/us 1149479.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wC1_pmYP5TzJ7UvWh6AUyZTopj_Y5gV2MgtOVJ-sAVAu30gbvT3JO0aApfBEALw_wcB,Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wC1_pmYP5TzJ7UvWh6AUyZTopj_Y5gV2MgtOVJ-sAVAu30gbvT3JO0aApfBEALw_wcB

Or even a Nikon 810 for a little over a $1000: https://www.adorama.com/us 1151159.html

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this hobby, so I started doing a bit of research. A Canon rebel seems like logical first step, but I feel like I'll end up wanting to upgrade based on others' experiences I've come across. I'm just looking for a quality, modern camera that's good for a novice but also someone who's a quick learner that will last me a good while and hold up technologically. Use would vary. Street photography, family/friends events, landscapes, wildlife, sports. More interested in the quality of the shots than an abundance of bells and whistles. I understand the lens are pretty costly too.

Also forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by a focus snob?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this hobby, so I started doing a bit of research. A Canon rebel seems like logical first step, but I feel like I'll end up wanting to upgrade based on others' experiences I've come across. I'm just looking for a quality, modern camera that's good for a novice but also someone who's a quick learner that will last me a good while and hold up technologically. Use would vary. Street photography, family/friends events, landscapes, wildlife, sports. More interested in the quality of the shots than an abundance of bells and whistles. I understand the lens are pretty costly too.

Also forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by a focus snob?

I hear you but I always say to people now that if you think you will get into this hobby, get some good gear right away rather than get a cheap camera and have to rebuy everything later which just sort of adds to the cost overall. Crop sensors like the Rebels are fine but full frame photos (to me) just look better whether with portraits, landscapes, etc. I think maybe with some sports or wildlife, I'd be okay with a crop sensor but for everything else, I'd rather shoot full frame.

And focus snob meaning are you a person that needs like the latest focusing system to shoot action, concerts, sports, etc. Mind you I think my 5D can do it all but when it comes to action, it is hit or miss and can be frustrating. That 6D I recommended to you has a terrible focusing system but if you are just shooting mostly stills or just subtle action, it should be fine.

I hear you but I always say to people now that if you think you will get into this hobby, get some good gear right away rather than get a cheap camera and have to rebuy everything later which just sort of adds to the cost overall. Crop sensors like the Rebels are fine but full frame photos (to me) just look better whether with portraits, landscapes, etc. I think maybe with some sports or wildlife, I'd be okay with a crop sensor but for everything else, I'd rather shoot full frame.

And focus snob meaning are you a person that needs like the latest focusing system to shoot action, concerts, sports, etc. Mind you I think my 5D can do it all but when it comes to action, it is hit or miss and can be frustrating. That 6D I recommended to you has a terrible focusing system but if you are just shooting mostly stills or just subtle action, it should be fine.

Thanks.

I probably should have clarified that I've been looking in the used market, so that $1000 could probably stretch a little further. I've considered the X-T2, 6Dmkii, D500 and a few others. Just looking for a really good "do it all" type of body. Everything camera seems to have shortcomings, no matter the price range. I would just like something newish that's pretty versatile. Like I could take it to a nephew's basketball game, cruise the city or go hiking and get quality shots.

Back
Top Bottom