The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

HEEZY BEAR

Why not get the bracket and try it out? I bought 3 Alienbee strobes and haven't shot outdoors with them yet. I need a power source for them and modifiers.

Perhaps but that means i have to get one more speedlight to match the power. I guess that is still the affordable route in this case.

quick question fong, not sure if i asked this before... but do you use an ND filter? with those sunset photos

I did and didn't. I have this cheap ND filter that only stops my camera like 3 stops. It's not totally successful but during a certain part of the day when the sun is going down, I can get a 30 second exposure from it. The best is when I use that and catch the sun at the right time where I can get longer than 30 seconds but I'd have to use a remote for it. I have gotten up to 2 minutes before but I get odd pictures sometimes since the sun is going down at the same time. It's always a gamble with taking shots at that time of the day but I always get 1 decent shot.

Also what I have done that has helped a bit is shooting on HDR mode on the Mark 3. When all 3 images blend together on a long exposure, it actually makes the water more creamier. Still, I want to get a legit ND filter one day and shoot in almost complete sun at some water. Actually that would be priority over the flashes right now.

All this talk about light is great. I started with a Canon 480 exII then i got a third party flash Amazon product ASIN B0079M711S . This thing works GREAT! I'm gonna invest in another soon. They are cheap yet powerful and they have a ton of settings that I wish Canon had (like slave mode). As far as shooting outdoors, just pick a good time to shoot outside (golden hours). I have used paul buff's strobes and I don't even use them at half power most of the time because it's just too much unless I want to shoot at f/11 or higher. They are great if you need a ton of light or using a huge modifier. Start small with off camera flashes and build your way up if needed. The bigger strobes need an external power source and are a pain to lug around outdoors. Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.

All this talk about light is great. I started with a Canon 480 exII then i got a third party flash Amazon product ASIN B0079M711S . This thing works GREAT! I'm gonna invest in another soon. They are cheap yet powerful and they have a ton of settings that I wish Canon had (like slave mode). As far as shooting outdoors, just pick a good time to shoot outside (golden hours). I have used paul buff's strobes and I don't even use them at half power most of the time because it's just too much unless I want to shoot at f/11 or higher. They are great if you need a ton of light or using a huge modifier. Start small with off camera flashes and build your way up if needed. The bigger strobes need an external power source and are a pain to lug around outdoors. Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.

I got two Yongnuo IIIs. Pretty good flashes but I have nothing to compare to. I do love how they have the built in radio receiver, so you don't need to buy extra ones. I plan on trying to shoot at low light soon. Just looking at strobes sounds horrible with all the stuff you need to buy. Never even knew you needed external power. I do want a somewhat portable equipment but even the flash stands are almost a pain to carry.

I got two Yongnuo IIIs. Pretty good flashes but I have nothing to compare to. I do love how they have the built in radio receiver, so you don't need to buy extra ones. I plan on trying to shoot at low light soon. Just looking at strobes sounds horrible with all the stuff you need to buy. Never even knew you needed external power. I do want a somewhat portable equipment but even the flash stands are almost a pain to carry.

It's good that you started with the Yonguo's. I was so upset after spending 300 on a speedlight that was so limited. I wish someone would have told me sooner. I like to save money when I can, so I can spend it on glass. The light stands I use are pretty light and attach to my camera bag.

Last edited:
I really don't have time to be watching all those videos but please note this .... On the first Video that Fong posted. The beauty dish really served as a fill light. Not much output was put from the beauty dish. In addition, the very first image taken was without lights.

Don't be afraid to take images in natural lighting, you be surprise how wonderful they turn out.

Like I mentioned before, not to insult you or anything cause thats not how I mean it. When you took the images, you must of have been doing something wrong because there's no way on a sunny day even in the shade that the images should come out black if you have the correct setting. You should at least use the in camera lightmeter to see if you are over or under exposing. For dramatic lighting like in one of the images posted either you going to need a 580 EX or an actual strobe to over power the sun.

You can your regular flash to accomplish what he accomplished. Just know that there are many type of umprellas and ways of setting up so you can accomplish a certain looks.

Example Umbrella directly pointed at subject is basically a cheap defure. Umbrella turn opposite to subject with a black top and silver bottom is use to spread the light on the subject. same position just white is to fill ... etc etc etc .....

Lighting is not rocket science you just need a general understand and paying attention to shadows and fall offs ....

If you want to start over powering sun and stuff like that, then you really do need a strobe.

Fong... What shutterspeed were you at? And aperture? Over 1/160 and the shutter will start to block the light and aperture also controls how much light comes into the camera. I like to shoot as wide open as possible. I also use a ND filter so I can shoot wide open with my flash.

Loco... The YNs have been great to me. I have the triggers and one 560II. I want to get an Apollo Orb next and then I will hop on the Paul C Buff Vagabond Mini. Can't wait to take them with me.

PS... I have a mini light stand from adorama and it does the job for $35.

While using multiple strobes, OCF, softboxes and such is fun, I rather focus on maneuvering natural light, honestly I cringe when I see wedding photographers lugging around all sorts of lighting equipment, seems so unnecessary to me....specially in a situation when usually time if of such importance.

1 flash is enough for me.

While using multiple strobes, OCF, softboxes and such is fun, I rather focus on maneuvering natural light, honestly I cringe when I see wedding photographers lugging around all sorts of lighting equipment, seems so unnecessary to me....specially in a situation when usually time if of such importance.

1 flash is enough for me.

I completely agre. Sometimes the drama that the lack of light creates makes for outstanding shots.

I really don't have time to be watching all those videos but please note this .... On the first Video that Fong posted. The beauty dish really served as a fill light. Not much output was put from the beauty dish. In addition, the very first image taken was without lights.

Don't be afraid to take images in natural lighting, you be surprise how wonderful they turn out.

Like I mentioned before, not to insult you or anything cause thats not how I mean it. When you took the images, you must of have been doing something wrong because there's no way on a sunny day even in the shade that the images should come out black if you have the correct setting. You should at least use the in camera lightmeter to see if you are over or under exposing. For dramatic lighting like in one of the images posted either you going to need a 580 EX or an actual strobe to over power the sun.

You can your regular flash to accomplish what he accomplished. Just know that there are many type of umprellas and ways of setting up so you can accomplish a certain looks.

Example Umbrella directly pointed at subject is basically a cheap defure. Umbrella turn opposite to subject with a black top and silver bottom is use to spread the light on the subject. same position just white is to fill ... etc etc etc .....

Lighting is not rocket science you just need a general understand and paying attention to shadows and fall offs ....

If you want to start over powering sun and stuff like that, then you really do need a strobe.

I completely agre. Sometimes the drama that the lack of light creates makes for outstanding shots.

And I am all about natural light but I just want to shoot something different than what I normally do. I always was apposed to flash photography but now I am somewhat intrigued, which is just breathing new life into my photography hobby. I mean I love still shooting landscapes and all but I'd like to be a bit more versatile.

And I am all about natural light but I just want to shoot something different than what I normally do. I always was apposed to flash photography but now I am somewhat intrigued, which is just breathing new life into my photography hobby. I mean I love still shooting landscapes and all but I'd like to be a bit more versatile.

Do you shoot people?....venture into lifestyle photography before you go ape *** blowing money on flashes and accessories....that side of photography is very expensive man...anything that has to do with photography is...lol

I'm speaking from experience, I tried the whole strobist thing and it was fun, but it just meant lugging around so much more gear, so much more prep time for a shot, so much more $$$$ spent on triggers, flashes, strobes, stands, diffusers...at the end I got bored with it and that was that.

Well.....that is what I am trying to do but no, I haven't really shot people. I figure to shoot marry the two styles that I like and shoot like an offshoot portrait with a landscape in the background. So far I haven't spent like tons of bread but even with 2 flashes, trigger and stand, that was like in the $300 range. Still all in budget but I didn't think I need a god damn strobe. So I'll just shoot in low light for now. I want to go for looks like this if any.

fstoppers-south-carolina-beach-engagement-session-710x473.jpg
120825-strobist-engagement-AnalogStory-BlueVintage-920px-002.jpg

Even this would be dope (and insane)

AstroWedding008.jpg

Yeah that last shot is impressive....I guess I'm just speaking from my own experience...

If you shoot cannon you'll need triggers, PW are the most reliable and also expensive as **** on those alone you are looking at about 600$ then you'll need a flash, maybe 250$ for a used 580ex2....then stands and at the very least an umbrella....that's maybe around 1k which you can out towards a new lense....once again we all enjoy different things, so if you think this is something you'll take further, by all means invest....sometimes you can achieve those looks by simply bouncing your flash at the right angle...but you won't always have a surface to bounce it from...

This is what I got so far as my setup:

Yongnuo flash. $75 a piece and has built in receivers.

61wEfwsq-CL._SL1500_.jpg

Yongnuo Trigger. ($32)

31DYQOfAPQL.jpg

Manfroto Stand ($84)

51b7pufBNbL._SL1500_.jpg

Manfroto Adaptor ($34)

41ehZvtxdJL.jpg

So all that right there is all a little under $300. I might get another stand but I want to play with this first. I also might get an soft box but that might be it for the time being since I would use all that to practice with before I invested any further.

Last edited:

Taken from The Hundreds X V/SUAL By Van Styles Street Meet photowalk in Santa Monica last month. Shot with Kodak Tri-X 400 film.

Finally ordered the Westcott Apollo Orb!!! I'm excited because I wanted to invest in a softbox for my speedlights and this can also be used with my Alien Bees. Another plus is that the ribs are fiberglass. I had an umbrella that recently broke during a shoot when the wind caught it and flipped it over causing the ribs to break. Just moved to South Florida a week ago so I have tons of models around. Now I have to step my game up.

Well.....that is what I am trying to do but no, I haven't really shot people. I figure to shoot marry the two styles that I like and shoot like an offshoot portrait with a landscape in the background. So far I haven't spent like tons of bread but even with 2 flashes, trigger and stand, that was like in the $300 range. Still all in budget but I didn't think I need a god damn strobe. So I'll just shoot in low light for now. I want to go for looks like this if any.

fstoppers-south-carolina-beach-engagement-session-710x473.jpg

120825-strobist-engagement-AnalogStory-BlueVintage-920px-002.jpg

Even this would be dope (and insane)

AstroWedding008.jpg
Beside the second image - I'm almost certain that a strobe was used to shoot these. That first one had to be with a  very powerful strobe to get that type of lighting and balance the background. Google dynamic lighting and I'm sure you will find a lot of information in regards to these type of images. In regards to the video you showed earlier, you would not need a strobe but a flash would be nice for fill lighting and that even would be unnecessary .....

Lastly - there are many cheaper options to PW for triggers - Google Paul C Buff - pretty cheap and their equipment is reliable .... In addition - if you want a cheap alternative with flashed (stacking) it should be much of a haul and a fairly quick setup. When you talk about strobes with defusers and battery pack. Then yes is  pain in the *** ... not to mention the heavy duty light stands and sand bags ... ugh!

^
Start out just switching one variable and see how it affects your pictures. There's a ton of good YouTube videos out there for beginners (digitalrev and froknowsphoto to name a couple). Just take a ton of pictures and you'll pick up on things.

Back
Top Bottom